g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Television Star Trek

stevoc

IT would be, if that was actually in this show. And Ortegas is the worst one for it. She's constantly mouthing off, answering back and questioning orders. That whole exchange she had with the tech guy was mind numbingly stupid.

"Hey, dont touch that. Ive got it set up the way I like it!"
"Well, its supposed to be set up to specs..."
"I dont care. Its more efficient for me this way!"
And what should have happened next
"And are you the only one who ever pilots the ship? And even if you are, what if something happens to you and someone else has to take over? How they are supposed to pilot the ship with the controls changed, you fecking sponge?"

Or

"Lt, break Orbit and set a course of the debris field."
"Thats a terrible idea."

Go back to any other Star Trek and the answer is "Aye, sir" or they have a reason for questioning the order which they give over without trying to be snarky.

Theres lots of good things you can say about SNWs, the respect for chain of command or fellow starfleet personal is not one of them.
Yeah beyond the captain you rarely ever hear ranks even mentioned. In the last episode I don't know if Nurse Chapel even asked for the captain's permission to fly herself and two other crew members into an interdimensional gateway, I know she didn't ask or wait for the Doctor's permission.

The writers seem to think it's friends in space where everyone just does and says what they feel as opposed to them all having ranks within a command structure. Might be a hangover from Star Trek Michael Burnham, where Michael just constantly disregarded orders and did her own thing and the rest of the crew were just there to provide a back drop for her adventures.

dinostar77

Yeah beyond the captain you rarely ever hear ranks even mentioned. In the last episode I don't know if Nurse Chapel even asked for the captain's permission to fly herself and two other crew members into an interdimensional gateway, I know she didn't ask or wait for the Doctor's permission.

The writers seem to think it's friends in space where everyone just does and says what they feel as opposed to them all having ranks within a command structure. Might be a hangover from Star Trek Michael Burnham, where Michael just constantly disregarded orders and did her own thing and the rest of the crew were just there to provide a back drop for her adventures.
I think its more of a case of trying to squeeze in a storyline into a 45min slot or whatever it is, so some stuff is just inferred as some dialogue and scenes cant be fitted in and dont add to the story.

Whens the last time we heard a captains log?

dinostar77

Just started Enterprise, been meaning to watch it for years.
Decent start, Scott I think make s a good Captain of an Enterprise.
The latter seasons are better. They just messed it up as a concept. Going back to pre TOS days, they should have started with the war with the romulans, creation of the netural zone when roumulans lost that war to United Earth/vulcan/alndorian/tellorite alliance and the initial founding of the federation etc.

I think this is what we all expected when the show was announced but it didnt do that.

pauldyson1uk

The latter seasons are better. They just messed it up as a concept. Going back to pre TOS days, they should have started with the war with the romulans, creation of the netural zone when roumulans lost that war to United Earth/vulcan/alndorian/tellorite alliance and the initial founding of the federation etc.

I think this is what we all expected when the show was announced but it didnt do that.
I have watched the odd one, this is the first time from the beginning.
There is plenty of stuff there for new series, they have never really done anything about any of this.

Last edited:

dinostar77

I have watched the odd one, this is the first time from the beginning.
There is plenty of stuff there for new series, they have never really done anything about any of this.
SNW is set after the federation is formed and the netural zone already exists. Its a shame as i think there could have been some good storytelling.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
On ep5 and its started well enough, building the relationships up between the crew.
T'Pol is a right bitch but I do like her, along with Trip and the Doctor.
Have you got to a gratuitous T’Pol decontamination scene yet?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
IT would be, if that was actually in this show. And Ortegas is the worst one for it. She's constantly mouthing off, answering back and questioning orders. That whole exchange she had with the tech guy was mind numbingly stupid.

"Hey, dont touch that. Ive got it set up the way I like it!"
"Well, its supposed to be set up to specs..."
"I dont care. Its more efficient for me this way!"
And what should have happened next
"And are you the only one who ever pilots the ship? And even if you are, what if something happens to you and someone else has to take over? How they are supposed to pilot the ship with the controls changed, you fecking sponge?"

Or

"Lt, break Orbit and set a course of the debris field."
"Thats a terrible idea."

Go back to any other Star Trek and the answer is "Aye, sir" or they have a reason for questioning the order which they give over without trying to be snarky.

Theres lots of good things you can say about SNWs, the respect for chain of command or fellow starfleet personal is not one of them.
Not every captain has to be like that, as in all old Star Treks. Pike allows the crew for interactions and their personal suggestions all the time and it doesn't always work to the detriment of crew's usefuleness. If it annoys you then fine. TV shows does tendency to have annoying characters.

Ortegas is a typical cocky pilot, ever heard of cocky pilots ? They're putting that type of mask, usually to hide their fear. She's annoying, indeed, but is she really annoying to the Jurati level from Picard ? Nah.

Now go to the military and believe it or not, some unit commanders will allow you to drink vodka with them, talk about the family and how military is a one big shit hole. Of course, a lot of times there were to the letter, corncob up the arse unit fags, that could cause you heart attack. Sir, yes Sir, Yes !

Star Trek was a campy show, even with Gene Roddenberry at helm. Does Kirk shagging every female in the galaxy is okay ? Doesn't exactly sound like starfleet code to me. The cheese level for me personally is kinda acceptable in SNW, as long as episodes are about exploration and finding different type of weird.

Bole Top

Enterprise is very good. it has unique atmosphere and the space just seems bigger - especially in episodes like Silent Enemy. my favorite female character from any ST show is Kira, but T'Pol was always very close and she gets better/more interesting as the show go further. I wonder if Xindi are going to feature in any ST show ever again. SNW already surprised us with Gorn, so there's always a hope.

stevoc

I think its more of a case of trying to squeeze in a storyline into a 45min slot or whatever it is, so some stuff is just inferred as some dialogue and scenes cant be fitted in and dont add to the story.

Whens the last time we heard a captains log?
Maybe but in the case of the nurse the Doctor even comments later he didn't try to stop her because she would have did it anyway. And Pike was in the ritual the whole time so he didn't have a clue about any of it.

It's not a big deal and doesn't really affect the story but it would be a bit more realistic if everyone wasn't so casual and acted like they are in basically the Navy where there is a chain of command.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
It's not a big deal and doesn't really affect the story but it would be a bit more realistic if everyone wasn't so casual and acted like they are in basically the Navy where there is a chain of command.
Wouldn't count on a classic Trek, in a staunch traditional way, with 20 episodes per season and all the best jazz.

It's still a New Trek phase, and SNW could be best thing you'll get. Maybe in 5-10 years, when changes occur at the top, but I can't guarantee it will be remotely quality as Gene Roddenberry's stuff.

It would be easier and perhaps better to come out with something different and original at the same time, rather than copy a 'good old times'.

stevoc

Wouldn't count on a classic Trek, in a staunch traditional way, with 20 episodes per season and all the best jazz.

It's still a New Trek phase, and SNW could be best thing you'll get. Maybe in 5-10 years, when changes occur at the top, but I can't guarantee it will be remotely quality as Gene Roddenberry's stuff.

It would be easier and perhaps better to come out with something different and original at the same time, rather than copy a 'good old times'.
I get what you're saying and while I was never the biggest Star Trek fan growing up (only got into it the last few years) I don't disagree. But that's not really what I was referring to, I and it seems others feel the crew could act a bit more like they all have ranks and the characters act like they can't all just do what they want whenever they want.

As I say though it's a minor criticism as this show has actually been pretty good so far and light years ahead of most of Picard and Discovery. And I say that just as a casual viewer who isn't attached to the old stuff.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I get what you're saying and while I was never the biggest Star Trek fan growing up (only got into it the last few years) I don't disagree. But that's not really what I was referring to, I and it seems others feel the crew could act a bit more like they all have ranks and the characters act like they can't all just do what they want whenever they want.

As I say though it's a minor criticism as this show has actually been pretty good so far and light years ahead of most of Picard and Discovery. And I say that just as a casual viewer who isn't attached to the old stuff.
Yes, they do a lot of stuff, without even remotely including Pike. I was almost baffled when Chapel induced a drug to enhance her strength & mobility to beat the crap out of some aliens. Jean-Luc from TNG would give her proper hairdryer for it, to say the least. Ninja nurse and an oldest half vulcan teenager who can't control his hormones. It's a stuff for fans of Jason Statham movies and I love them to death. I seriously need to stop watching all the stupid shit sometimes. :lol:

pauldyson1uk

Finished season 1 of Enterprise , found some of it a bit heavy going, lots of filler eps, that were not really needed.
On ep6 of season 2 and this is so far is better than season 1, ep4 Dead Stop the best so far.

That'sHernandez

Aye, it really has been a top show from the get go. It's striking the balance of serious issues with humour very well. I love it.
I really like it, the focus on a different character in each episode with fun interpersonal relationships. I find all the characters believable and it’s great to see Uhora given greater depth than she has in TOS and subsequent movies, bar Kelvin timeline stuff.

The only character I don’t like is the annoying chief engineer woman from Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, she’s just the same character but in space and her schtick really grates on me and I don’t find it at all amusing. I much preferred the Aenar engineer

dinostar77

How good was episode 7 of SNW season 2? Fantastic crossover. Really well done.

If you have never seen Lower Decks series, then this episode may not land the way it was intended. Its gotten alot of praise.

Last edited:

Bobski

Season 3 of Enterprise is very good, the best so far.
A few 10/10 eps.
The recent treks made me realize that Enterprise was actually pretty decent, season 3 and 4 are solid, and the cheesy theme song eventually wears you down.

T'Pol is awesome, a terrible Vulcan, but an excellent character.

pauldyson1uk

The recent treks made me realize that Enterprise was actually pretty decent, season 3 and 4 are solid, and the cheesy theme song eventually wears you down.

T'Pol is awesome, a terrible Vulcan, but an excellent character.
I had been putting off watching this for year, due to bad reviews, but glad have suck with it.
T'Pol and Phlox are my favourite, Archer is an excellent captain, reminds me a bit of Kirk, not afraid to throw the book away to get the job done.
Andorian Commander Shran I like him also.

dinostar77

I had been putting off watching this for year, due to bad reviews, but glad have suck with it.
T'Pol and Phlox are my favourite, Archer is an excellent captain, reminds me a bit of Kirk, not afraid to throw the book away to get the job done.
Andorian Commander Shran I like him also.
The Xindi make it more interesting.

That'sHernandez

If you have never seen Lower Decks series, then this episode may not land the way it was intended. Its gotten alot of praise.
Hit it out the park. That was fantastic, one of my top all time episodes

Big Andy

Bloke

Are the cartoon ensigns that annoying in the Lower Decks series?