Television Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
If only it was "nobody".

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...cism-sent-to-obi-wan-kenobi-star-moses-ingram
https://www.npr.org/2022/06/02/1102...ingram-racist-messages-disney?t=1656772022677
https://www.nme.com/news/tv/obi-wan...ned-by-racist-attacks-on-moses-ingram-3246377
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/star-wars-fandom-racism
https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/article/ewan-mcgregor-obi-wan-racism
https://www.indy100.com/tv/obi-wan-kenobi-review-bombed-racists
https://www.oregonlive.com/entertai...abuse-online-refuses-to-grin-and-bear-it.html

the fact is, people have been making dog shit for a while now. And when people see the product and call it out for being dog shit, they resort to racism, sexism and bigotry as a reason why these "overweight Middle aged white men who dwell in basements" have a problem with it. Star Wars, Star Trek, lord of the rings, the wheel of time, marvel, ghostbusters. And its always the same thing, the onslaught of online "news" sites pushing the idea that people are all fecking horrible racist, sexist homophobes who wear white robes and burn crosses. The funny thing of course, is that every fecking time they get found out for causing the issue in the first place. Sony was caught red handed deleting run of the mill YouTube comments but leaving up the nasty sexist and racist ones to make it look more like there was some big attack happening. Amazon deleted thousands of comments on its YouTube channel. I wonder why? Thankfully though, they had the go to move of putting influencers in a shitty looking castle to tell us all how wrong we were for thinking it looked shit.

Here's red letter medias take on it. See if you can spot anything at all familiar...

Its quite simple formula thats repeatedly followed.

1. Put something out there that people don't like or have a problem with some artistic choices.
2. Accuse said people of racism, sexism or homophobia.
3. Delete and/or ignore comments of valid criticism and only focus on the very small number of cnuts the post nasty shit.
4. Profit from changing the narrative from your artist choice, or online trolls.

Star Wars, Star Trek, Lord of the rings, Marvel, Ghostbusters, The last of us Part 2, etc etc etc etc. The same thing every single time because people didnt like artistic choices that were made. And that means that any time someone says that they don't like something, they get pushed into that nasty little group of people that say horrible shit. And then you get people like you, posting low effort troll posts hoping to get a bite. Well, I bit. Congrats, I guess. I look forward to your dismissive rows of green laughing faces because we all know that will really get my goat...
Yeah I'm not reading all that over a joke :lol:

I'm sure it's informative though!

cafecillos

Wow, what a rant. And not about racism, but about the calling out of it too.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
It was mediocre I guess, liked the final duel however , it was melodrama but liked it nonetheless.

They probably should have turned this into a movie, would have worked better i think it it had a focused objective and better thought put into it.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I agree, but the way the series has been written is going to come across disingenuous. Vader has been portrayed as a beast at the top of his game however Obi Wan has been portrayed as pretty useless and struggling to regain his mastery of basic force powers and barely able to duel properly. He looks like an old man in this series, almost afraid to be the person he once was. There's no way to suddenly one episode later have him be amazing enough to beat Vader - unless they're going to leave it open ended, and commission a season 2 where we see Obi Wan get back to full power and beat him convincingly then.
'

:lol: Welcome to Disney writing!

Andy_Cole

Should’ve got Vince Gilligan to do this. Better Call Saul, what a prequel show.

Could’ve got some great indulgent scenes of Obi Wan styling his hair and beard and brushing his shoes.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Just binged this. Loved it. Obviously some parts aren't very good but overall I liked it.

That mask breaking scene was epic. The light from the lightsabers glowing and fading on Obi Wan and Anakin's faces as they talk about good/evil was very well done.
Anakin goes from looking like a lost misguided and helpless boy looking at his Master for help to a full evil dark lord of the Sith with the red light on his face. At the same time, when Anakin fully declares that he is no more Anakin, the blue light from Obi Wan lightsaber stops glowing Obi Wan's face, implying that he has lost that 1% hope he had of ever getting Anakin back.

Plus Vader marching like a maniac instead of the calm walk he did in other movies. Damn, that was epic. You could feel the fear he was generating on others.

Oldyella

Just binged this. Loved it. Obviously some parts aren't very good but overall I liked it.

That mask breaking scene was epic. The light from the lightsabers glowing and fading on Obi Wan and Anakin's faces as they talk about good/evil was very well done.
Anakin goes from looking like a lost misguided and helpless boy looking at his Master for help to a full evil dark lord of the Sith with the red light on his face. At the same time, when Anakin fully declares that he is no more Anakin, the blue light from Obi Wan lightsaber stops glowing Obi Wan's face, implying that he has lost that 1% hope he had of ever getting Anakin back.

Plus Vader marching like a maniac instead of the calm walk he did in other movies. Damn, that was epic. You could feel the fear he was generating on others.
Everytime Vader was on screen it was great.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Doesn’t really deserve the credit it’s getting for that scene considering they just ripped it off from Rebels.

Sylar

Defo noticed the bad parts are more tolerable when binged. Although the very bad on this show are super bad :lol:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
As someone who didnt like the prequels and was too old when they were released to have any sentimental feelings towards Ewans Obi Wan, I thought this show was horrific. Quality across the board was bad, writing, action, characters. I'm sure if you have sentimental feelings towards Ewans Obi Wan you might forgive how piss poor it was, but feck me it was bad. There was at least one cringe moment per episode.

I actually preferred Book of Boba Fett over it and bloody hell was that bad at the end.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
As someone who didnt like the prequels and was too old when they were released to have any sentimental feelings towards Ewans Obi Wan, I thought this show was horrific. Quality across the board was bad, writing, action, characters. I'm sure if you have sentimental feelings towards Ewans Obi Wan you might forgive how piss poor it was, but feck me it was bad. There was at least one cringe moment per episode.

I actually preferred Book of Boba Fett over it and bloody hell was that bad at the end.
Yeah, if you cut put the cool Vader stuff this show is the worst Star Wars has been for me. Though Boba Fett isnt far off with the moronic Vespa gang shit.

caid

It was inconsistent. Veered from the laughably bad to brilliant every 5 minutes. Boba Fett was just consistently mediocre.
I kind of liked the prequels and there were enough great moments for me to forgive or overlook the weak or rubbish parts. Laughing at the rubbish parts was kind of enjoyable to be honest in an old Doctor Who with sets made of toilet roll kind of way.
My expectations were low as well i guess.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
It was inconsistent. Veered from the laughably bad to brilliant every 5 minutes. Boba Fett was just consistently mediocre.
I kind of liked the prequels and there were enough great moments for me to forgive or overlook the weak or rubbish parts. Laughing at the rubbish parts was kind of enjoyable to be honest in an old Doctor Who with sets made of toilet roll kind of way.
My expectations were low as well i guess.
I didn't think any of it was brilliant at all. Even the Vader content which should have been easy to do came across weak due to the piss poor writing and badly shot fights. The only slightly redeeming feature of the show was the Leia actress wasn't annoying. But the writing for her scenes were horrific on the whole, she and Ewan had some decent dialogue but that was pretty much it.

Obi Wan being able to get away from Vader because there was a pool of fire in the way... Leia escaping the hired assassins by... running along some hiking trails, or her escaping by hiding underneath a coat... I can't recall the rest because I wiped my brain of the show, but those will live with me for a while given how stupid they were.

I really did hope it would be better than it ultimately ended up being.

arthurka

This is absolute trash. My 15 year old son who loves star wars he hates this show. This makes the new trilogy look like the godfather series.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd

Agreed.

Well, mostly.

I do have plenty of sentimental attachment to several of the characters (not the actors, e.g. Ewan), and I'll admit that I found some of the scenes with Obi Wan/Vader and Obi Wan/Leia quite enjoyable (not least after a drink or two).

But even that was nothing like the Luke scene from Mandalorian (that was genuinely pretty cool...again, though, not least after a drink or two).

I dunno, I find most of the new things I watch these days to be pretty meh on the whole - and absolutely loaded with downright shit moments, whether it be acting or writing wise.