Statistically the best premier league players 19/20 - Who should be there and isnt?

Ekeke

These are the 20 best players this season decided by whoscored's statistical rating system.

So who is missing? Who are the players you feel were in the top 20 players you saw this premier league season who don't appear somewhere on the list?

Don't worry too much about who is above who else but is still on the top 20 list. They still made it.

Instead lets have a conversation about which players may have contributed in huge ways that might not be reflected in the specific stats that whoscored records. The unstatted heroes.

Give a reasonable explanation why this certain player had this extra value and doesnt appear on the list, but why other players who have the same qualities that werent recorded by the numbers and performances werent as good as the player you are suggesting was in the top 20.

Bruno Fernandes is only missing because he didn't play enough games to feature on the list. He managed 14 since signing for us. If he was on the list he would appear right after KDB in 2nd. So lets not talk about him missing.

luke511

Alexander Arnold could be the most obvious one missing?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Whoscored.com are good for stats but I dont take their rating seriously. It has many flaws.

Top 3 scorers in the league are missing.

Siorac

I can't see the FWA Player of the Year on that list.

Ekeke

Alexander Arnold could be the most obvious one missing?
Yes perhaps. He was obviously a fantastic outlet for Liverpool going forward. Defensively though VVD is the only CB on the list, do you not think that this suggests VVD had more work to do covering attacking players like TAA bombing forward and perhaps there were certain other areas where he didn't perform to the standard of a top 20 player?

If we look at how many tackles TAA made for example he's less than all of the other top 10 RBs. He was also dribbled past more often than the majority of them.

He is also joint 2nd least amount of interceptions from the same list of rightbacks

And the very least in the list when it comes to attempting to win the ball in the air

So coming to something of a conclusion, can you see why having lower numbers of these normal defensive duties - perhaps because someone like VVD is taking all the balls in the air, or because TAA might be further forward than the normal right back and not in position to win a header as often - might contibute to why he wouldnt make the list of top 20 players by the stats, even if he was very eye catching going forward and had an incredible tally of 4 goals and 14 assists. A tackle, an interception or winning the ball in the air might not look quite as flash as a great cross but it could be just as important.

Ekeke

No Vardy, Ings or Aubameyang. Feels like it underrates goalscoring strikers.
So how much should a goal alone contribute to an attacking player's rating if they werent very involved in the match otherwise, or they missed some good chances etc?

Should Vardy automatically be in the top 20 list because he was the top scorer? Or is goal scoring a big component for attacking players, but other things are important too?

Edit - For reference the players 21 and 22 are Ndidi and Vardy. So he very nearly made the top 20 but didnt.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The only Everton player I could make a case for is Richarlison. 13 goals and 3 assists / 70 tackles (25 more than any other FW). I genuinely think he is the most well rounded Forward in the league. Will score (variety of goals - headers, tap ins, either foot), good dribbler, draws a lot of fouls which are helpful for set pieces, excellent at pressing and his work rate/stamina is phenomenal.

Paul_Scholes18

So how much should a goal alone contribute to an attacking player's rating if they werent very involved in the match otherwise, or they missed some good chances etc?

Should Vardy automatically be in the top 20 list because he was the top scorer? Or is goal scoring a big component for attacking players, but other things are important too?

Edit - For reference the players 21 and 22 are Ndidi and Vardy. So he very nearly made the top 20 but didnt.
I feel they put much more value in passing or dribbling compared to good movement in the box.
I guess if a forward waste chances it can be both good and bad for the rating. Jesus and Sterling are high and waste a lot.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The only Everton player I could make a case for is Richarlison. 13 goals and 3 assists / 70 tackles (25 more than any other FW). I genuinely think he is the most well rounded Forward in the league. Will score (variety of goals - headers, tap ins, either foot), good dribbler, draws a lot of fouls which are helpful for set pieces, excellent at pressing and his work rate/stamina is phenomenal.
With the greatest of respect if he went to a bigger team or a team that’s creating more chances he’d be a 20+ goals a season player. I rate him highly

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
With the greatest of respect if he went to a bigger team or a team that’s creating more chances he’d be a 20+ goals a season player. I rate him highly
I wouldn't disagree at all with that. Hopefully we have a good transfer window and can provide a midfield that will create more for him. He's said he's willing to give us a few more years.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Agreed, I could actually see him putting up Sterling like numbers or better at City for example. Better finisher and both footed too along with being a threat in the air.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Also Mahrez stats are insane for a player who plays so few games and is so greedy.

His goal contributions to minutes is insane compared to anyone on that list. A contribution less than every 90 minutes pretty much. Up there with KDB, I guess Pep does know more about football than me after all.

Ekeke

Also Mahrez stats are insane for a player who plays so few games and is so greedy.

His goal contributions to minutes is insane compared to anyone on that list. A contribution less than every 90 minutes pretty much. Up there with KDB, I guess Pep does know more about football than me after all.
I think greed works out quite well with the stats as long as you arent missing the target too often etc. Like if you have a bunch of shots on target and one eventually goes in. Ronaldo for example scores highly and thats his playstyle, loads and load of shots. His rating in Serie A would have him just behind KDB if had the same stats in the PL and there arent many more greedy than he is.

paulscholes18

Thought Bruno & TAA would be their, it’s very surprising to see Ricardo Pereira in 2nd

padr81

Supports
Man City
Thought Bruno & TAA would be their, it’s very surprising to see Ricardo Pereira in 2nd
A bit part of Leicesters fall away came down to Pereira being out imho. Phenomenal fullback, probably better than both Semedo and Cancelo, should start for Portugal.

Ekeke

His workrate is very high, tries to make so many tackles and interceptions. He's not as successful with his tackle attempts as AWB, but he attempts more of them. The energy and desire is there but the success could be better. Also scored 3 goals from rightback and has the highest number of successful dribbles in the Leicester team with 2.1 per 90 minutes. Also more than any United player, Pogba and Rashford both with 2 per 90 mins. Igahlo actually has the most but wouldnt qualify for the top 20 list because he played 11 matches but he was at 2.9 per 90 minutes interestingly.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Always felt whoscoreds ranking system wasn't suited to defensive players or goalkeepers, and heavily favors dribblers and the final pass players. Like if you look past goals and assists, key passes, shots on target and dribbles are the next top 3 that increase you're rating I'd bet.

Havak

Pokemon master
Vardy
Aubameyang
Alexander-Arnold
Ings

Those are the most surprising for me given how good of a season each had.

Very surprised to see a few players so high, notably: Ricardo, Maddison, Antonio, Saint-Maximan.. But I suppose it's easier to remain consistent over fewer games.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Soyuncu so low on the list is kinda surprising (below 50th place)

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Always felt whoscoreds ranking system wasn't suited to defensive players or goalkeepers,
It isn't, and in general we've yet to find a good statistical model to evaluate good defending. Possession adjusted tackles/interceptions is probably the best we've got so far, and even the people who developed it admit it's far from exhaustive

For GK we do have pretty good models though. The whoscored one that is based on actions is obviously not a good one

Also their algorithm in general seems to favour successful actions regardless of their impact, so players who complete a lot of passes or successful dribbles tend to do well regardless of the impact of those actions

It's not bad, but also not particularly good

saintquin

Supports
Southampton, Harlequins

I find it strange players like Ings and Vardy aren't in the top 20. When you consider at least a couple of Ings' goals were from intercepting attempted clearances and the work he does when not in possession of the ball is tremendous!

Ekeke

I find it strange players like Ings and Vardy aren't in the top 20. When you consider at least a couple of Ings' goals were from intercepting attempted clearances and the work he does when not in possession of the ball is tremendous!
I think we could find the answers if we look at the individual stats. For example he made only 12.2 short passes per game which is one of the fewest amount from strikers, same with attempted aerials with 4.8. What isnt there is how many runs he makes etc. so its possible that in terms of running and making runs he might be significantly more than some of the other strikers. But who knows

So when you look at the overall workload of strikers (as recorded by these whoscored stats) there are these low areas which obviously came to less than the forwards in the top 20 here - Kane, Antonio, Jimenez

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think with some players you can also be selective in what stats are perhaps more impressive. Ings for example might not be in the top stats for passing but I think the fact that he has 43% of all Southamptons goals, which I believe is the highest rate for any striker, is impressive.

saintquin

Supports
Southampton, Harlequins
Basically you can choose the stats to get the answer you want. So there's no point of them unless you are looking for something specific!

Ekeke

Basically you can choose the stats to get the answer you want. So there's no point of them unless you are looking for something specific!
Thats why you arent looking at one stat but a collection of them. It only makes sense when you take the whole into account. That way you cant hide weaknesses and only look at strengths

So no you really cant do that for this table.

Untd55

Vardy should be up there. Regardless of stats, I do not see how you cannot include the top goalscorer in a game where goal-scoring is the main focus.

I would say Ings certainly should be up there. His contribution is ridiculous. He wasn't far off winning the golden boot with a team that was near the relegation zone. I think it has been 20 years since someone has done it with such a low team (at least, it hasn't been done for a long time.)

Alexander-Arnold. His defensive stats are likely affected by how much time he spends up the other end of the pitch. I think he broke the record for assists from a wing-back this season. His contribution was massively important to Liverpool winning the league.

I would argue Nick Pope as a goalkeeper, also. One of the highest clean sheets while still facing a considerable amount of shots. Very important to Burnley.

Probably Alisson. Clean sheets with Adrian - 2 in 11 (18.2%) ; Clean sheets with Alisson - 15 in 29 (51.7%). It may not tell the whole story, but I think it is pretty clear just how good Alisson is based on that.

Last edited: