Statue of Diana

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
It’s fecking cringe. We have Diana overload in terms of monuments. Diana fountain, Diana walk, Diana statue, another Diana fountain. Just fecking spend the money on something useful rather than filling public spaces with this shite.

Moby

Dick
It’s fecking cringe. We have Diana overload in terms of monuments. Diana fountain, Diana walk, Diana statue, another Diana fountain. Just fecking spend the money on something useful rather than filling public spaces with this shite.
Even the fecking Wonder Woman is named after her.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
sticking statues of children in is a bit weird. The way she's holding them makes me think they're being sacrificed to some deity

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Statues in general are a bit weird to me now. Older ones are fine but we live in an age where we can easily see what the person actually looked like. And it seems most modern statue artists can't quite capture people the way they used to.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Absolute cringe. Feck royalty , inbred elite bastards. Use taxpayer money for things that serve the public good not monuments to rich people.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
sticking statues of children in is a bit weird. The way she's holding them makes me think they're being sacrificed to some deity
I think they should have had the girl being piggybacked Diana and she should really be wearing Forrest Gum style leg braces. The boy should be in a wheelchair and one hand should be deformed by leprosy. Diana should be kneeling kneeling down digging up a landmine with her spare hand, somewhere in Africa. If they had known that Phillip would have just died when they commissioned it they could have honoured him by putting one of the kids in blackface, B&W Minstrels style.

Last edited:

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
I think it's a fair representation, she liked children and supported various charities around, well, kids. The only other things that might have made more sense might have been: -

Diana in swimming cozzie seated on edge of diving board
Diana seated in front of Taj Mahal (the real one, not a various curry house)
Diana in semi-protective but more glamorous gear holding mine detector outward
Diana seated in armchair with tears falling from eyes.

These are the things I remember her for. Oh, and big hair and shoulder pads, this statue has kind of updated her fashion wise.

Last edited:

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
The Guardian had an article yesterday absolutely panning this statue. I was just saying to oates that a bust on a plinth would have been a more elegant option.

The sculptor is very highly-regarded (we were looking at his website yesterday), but he says himself that he prefers to sculpt male figures. He does a lot of nudes, male torsos, that kind of thing. This being a clothed woman, it's maybe not his best work. It looks wooden.

I predict thousands of bunches of flowers around this statue in no time at all. And balloons. And "Queen of Hearts" signs.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I think they should have had the girl being piggybacked Diana and she should really be wearing Forrest Gum style leg braces. The boy should be in a wheelchair and one hand should be deformed by leprosy. Diana should be kneeling kneeling down digging up a landmine with her spare hand, somewhere in Africa. If they had known that Phillip would have just died when they commissioned it they could have honoured him by putting one of the kids in blackface, B&W Minstrels style.
I like this :lol:, I wonder how far we could have taken it. Have her holding documents that would have brought about peace with Israel Palestine, and stopping climate change.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I like this :lol:, I wonder how far we could have taken it. Have her holding documents that would have brought about peace with Israel Palestine, and stopping climate change.
I was thinking of Diana throwing up in a toilet with Charlie and Camillla shagging behind her. Too much?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Can we get a Christopher Hitchens statue opposite?

Classical Mechanic

The sculptor is very highly-regarded (we were looking at his website yesterday), but he says himself that he prefers to sculpt male figures. He does a lot of nudes, male torsos, that kind of thing. This being a clothed woman, it's maybe not his best work. It looks wooden.
That explains why she looks like a man then. Richard Madeley struck me when looking at it.

no idea about the hiding-behind-the-legs one.
Hiding from Prince Andrew?

Hectic

Supports
30fps
They should have had her as a half terminator or mutant minotaur just for the sheer what the feck factor.

Green_Red

The funny thing is if the woman were still alive she would be embarrassed that the money was wasted on this when there are children and people in need not just around the world but in this country. I've got nothing against the Royals, I'm completely indifferent to them but if they wanted to make a fitting tribute they should have donated the money to a children's hospital and put a plaque on a wall at an entrance. I think that would be more fitting of her legacy.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
The children are just random children. The boy on the left seems to be a representation of a black child, no idea about the hiding-behind-the-legs one.
Oh right I just thought the girl had four legs and Diana was being kind to the little freakshow.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
The funny thing is if the woman were still alive she would be embarrassed that the money was wasted on this when there are children and people in need not just around the world but in this country. I've got nothing against the Royals, I'm completely indifferent to them but if they wanted to make a fitting tribute they should have donated the money to a children's hospital and put a plaque on a wall at an entrance. I think that would be more fitting of her legacy.
Couldn't agree more except to say that we already have plenty of hospitals named after her.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
This a smart political move: erecting a new statue to get the family reunited and the royalty "stronger".

I would have liked Diana smiling.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Seems more like she's the deity, protecting and guiding the kids.
Yeah in my head she is the deity, but the children are sent to her once a month to be sacrificed or something.

Your reading is the intent though, I think I read last night on some article about the sculptor mentioning it was due to her love of children and the work she did with them, and that the original idea of her being the lone statue made it look a little lonely so children were added.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Yeah in my head she is the deity, but the children are sent to her once a month to be sacrificed or something.

Your reading is the intent though, I think I read last night on some article about the sculptor mentioning it was due to her love of children and the work she did with them, and that the original idea of her being the lone statue made it look a little lonely so children were added.
It would have been genuinely impressive if they'd gone for a Colossus of Rhodes type effect.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Not set on the dress choice of the little lad on the left. Who on earth wears shorts with a jacket?

Irwin99

That whole Isis goddess/Mother Mary thing is still strong in the human psyche. Just looks...odd!