Sterling should have taken a penalty

Zoo

He’s one of the most experienced players in the team and arguably the player of the tournament. Surely had to put himself forward in the five.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Why the feck did Saka take the 5th!? 19 year old and a bag of nerves

Traub

What about Grealish? Who takes for Villa? Absolute madness to lump all this pressure on a 19 year old who had a horror show tonight.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He's awful at pens though, like misses 99% of them

I don't blame him or Southgate for not putting him forward

RUCK4444

Yes! Why let a 19 year old take one in those circumstances.

I’m not English but think the selection for pens here was amateur

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
What about Grealish? Who takes for Villa? Absolute madness to lump all this pressure on a 19 year old who had a horror show tonight.
Grealish has barely taken one for Villa.
El Ghazi tends to take them.

Stadjer

Agree. Experienced player, won multiple trophies, his job is scoring goals but lets a 19 year old take Englands most important penalty ever.

RUCK4444

Feckin Maguire going 2nd? This wasn’t thought out well, that’s clear

Even though Maguires pen was mint.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Maybe he wanted to take it?
I’d have thought Southgate would have seen his nervously he played all game that he would have final rule on who was best to take one. He took the fecking 5th! The pressure penalty

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
His record is crap. 2/5. Last player you’d want stepping up.

MU655

Southgate made the choice, judging by his words and how Sancho and Rashford came straight in for them.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Sterling isn't a good penalty taker from what I remember, big lack of composure as tends to happen when he has time to think infront of goal.

More surprised Jack didn't take one tbh, would've thought he'd have fancied it under the pressure.

No idea on who else should've done, I mean Rashford is generally a good penalty taker and Sancho scored some for Dortmund so they generally weren't bad choices, should've been on 5-10 minutes before.

Saka as 5th was one choice though, Pickford probably should've stepped up instead as was talk of that pre tournanent.

Trequarista10

If Sterling wasnt going to take a pen, I find it amazing we subbed off a RB and CM for two forwards towards the end. Could have just subbed off Sterling instead, rather than Rashford playing RB.

Cloud7

The biggest villain is Kane. Captain, striker, and you go first. He should have gone third, or last.

harrington

Supports
Aston Villa
Grealish hasn't been the nominated taker, although he has scored a penalty in a shootout, the one between Villa and West Brom to decide who went through to the 2019 Championship final (conditions nothing like as pressurised for that as for last night clearly, but still plenty nerve-wracking - it was at West Brom and Villa went second in the shoot-out). I'm not allowed to embed, so search YouTube for "West Bromwich Albion 1-0 Aston Villa - Villa win on penalties | Extended highlights" (Grealish's shootout penalty is at 14 min 20 secs).

croadyman

Yes! Why let a 19 year old take one in those circumstances.

I’m not English but think the selection for pens here was amateur
The trouble was those previous misses really piled the pressure on to him so no blame attached for me

OL29

I have a feeling that Southgate didn’t want him to take one after the injury from the Jorginho stamp.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I refuse to believe the way that shootout went was the plan going in and it doesn’t matter what Southgate says. That was a total shambles.

mu4c_20le

I have a feeling that Southgate didn’t want him to take one after the injury from the Jorginho stamp.
Should be up to the player instead of trying to micromanage every detail of the game. Dodgy decisions finally backfired today.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
What I don't understand is why the way a player has played is not taken into account. Saka was having a horrible game. Just like Mbappe was. Penalties are 90% about mental strength. Somebody that has played well generally scores.

It should have been Maguire first then one of the young guys, followed by Rashford and Sterling and then Kane.

Unless you're down one before the last penalty, in which case Kane can even it. No way he should have gone first though.

Ludens the Red

He’s one of the most experienced players in the team and arguably the player of the tournament. Surely had to put himself forward in the five.
Have you seen Sterling take a pen? Nobody needs to see that…