Steve Cooper

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
What he’s done on field is staggering, but it comes from what he’s achieved behind the scenes. He’s completely transformed the club. The way he’s connected and embraced the fans and city and history. It’s why we love the guy and still sang his name whilst getting slapped 4 nil by Leicester. There are obvious comparisons to be made with Cloughy, but someone made the point a while back that a better comparison would be what Shankley achieved at Liverpool.

In a post match interview yesterday he said “I’ll have this clubs back forever”. Give the guy a 15 year contract now.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Forest did well to not sack him when many others would have. Keeping him was key and I think they'll be fine for a couple years at least in the league.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Quite possibly the ugliest man in football, in fact I wouldn’t be surprised if he turned out to be a vampire

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
What he’s done on field is staggering, but it comes from what he’s achieved behind the scenes. He’s completely transformed the club. The way he’s connected and embraced the fans and city and history. It’s why we love the guy and still sang his name whilst getting slapped 4 nil by Leicester. There are obvious comparisons to be made with Cloughy, but someone made the point a while back that a better comparison would be what Shankley achieved at Liverpool.

In a post match interview yesterday he said “I’ll have this clubs back forever”. Give the guy a 15 year contract now.
I like your enthusiasm

Abraxas

Said it previously in this thread, but this guy can work miracles.

He really is a top quality manager, also it shows what can be done if a teams sticks with the manager through a tough time.
Has he really worked miracles? I'd say he's done well. Particularly in respect of getting a really good team spirit together from a large collection of new players.

But I wouldn't call not being one of the worst 3 teams in the country by a slim margin a miracle. It's the job he is employed and backed in the transfer market to do. A miracle would be overachieving on that IMO. Not to discredit him and suggest he hasn't done a very good job, I just think a miracle may be slight hyperbole.

I think their owner deserves as much credit. He's dug very deep to support them in the market and give them half a chance. I don't think they survive with what they had and everybody questioned the wisdom of that, but some of those players have been very important. He was also the only owner at the bottom that kept a cool head. It would have been extraordinarily easy to get rid of Cooper when Forest were looking hapless.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Has he really worked miracles? I'd say he's done well. Particularly in respect of getting a really good team spirit together from a large collection of new players.

But I wouldn't call not being one of the worst 3 teams in the country by a slim margin a miracle. It's the job he is employed and backed in the transfer market to do. A miracle would be overachieving on that IMO. Not to discredit him and suggest he hasn't done a very good job, I just think a miracle may be slight hyperbole.

I think their owner deserves as much credit. He's dug very deep to support them in the market and give them half a chance. I don't think they survive with what they had and everybody questioned the wisdom of that, but some of those players have been very important. He was also the only owner at the bottom that kept a cool head. It would have been extraordinarily easy to get rid of Cooper when Forest were looking hapless.
I'd say he has worked miracles.

Getting a completely new team together, made from players who may be after a quick buck and have no affiliation with the team at all, and keeping them up with a game to spare is pretty special.

They have have played some good football along the way too.

All that whilst under extreme pressure from the owner and outside noises.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest

There may be hint of hyperbole- perhaps. You have to look at the last two years and where we were when he arrived. You also have to look at it in terms of the failure of the last 15+ managers who failed both on and off the field at this basket case of a club. Yes he’s had help, in particular Dane Murphy, the former CEO who set the ball rolling. If it’s not a miracle it’s the work of a very very good and talented young manager.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
All he needs is to organize the house. They have a decent squad overall, that kid Danilo will be in a top club in a couple of years. If only they can make Scarpa expand his football (he's a creative force) and improve their CBs and add some fresh blood in the middle (they use a lot of midfielders, don't they) things can get better next season.

arthurka

How did he do with Lingard? That´s what really matters.
He has done a remarkable job at Forrest.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town

[/QUOTNot
Not

Not being one of the 3 worst teams in the country by a slim margin????
I think you need to rephrase that somewhat.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
All he needs is to organize the house. They have a decent squad overall, that kid Danilo will be in a top club in a couple of years. If only they can make Scarpa expand his football (he's a creative force) and improve their CBs and add some fresh blood in the middle (they use a lot of midfielders, don't they) things can get better next season.
Injuries are at the root of all those issues. The first 11 is pretty good but most were out in Feb and March. Scarpa is only just back on grass, The first choice midfield 3, of Yates, Mangala and Danilo only played together from Southampton onwards. It’s a similar situation with the CB’s with only Felipe staying fit. Boly and Niakhate were out for months, McKenna did his hammy - this list goes on!

Red00012

How did he do with Lingard? That´s what really matters.
He has done a remarkable job at Forrest.
Lingard was busy on the field Saturday evening with his selfie stick after the game . He’s done well with Lingard

Abraxas

There may be hint of hyperbole- perhaps. You have to look at the last two years and where we were when he arrived. You also have to look at it in terms of the failure of the last 15+ managers who failed both on and off the field at this basket case of a club. Yes he’s had help, in particular Dane Murphy, the former CEO who set the ball rolling. If it’s not a miracle it’s the work of a very very good and talented young manager.
For sure, it's a great start. Getting promoted and then surviving by whatever means necessary is not easy. A whole host of Championship clubs would love to achieve that.

I just kind of think with the backing he got, you were entitled to have a pretty good stab at surviving. It's kind of what he's there for after that.

The test now is whether he can get you rising up the table. I think that's where the miracles are because everyone spends in this league. So it's not just about being better than the worst teams, it takes something special to distinguish yourself. That comes down to having better staff, better recruitment, and ultimately a better manager that is organising those parts compared to all the other clubs. If the owner is willing to keep throwing players at it and a certain proportion come good, there's a good opportunity there. Probably some of the squad needs cleaning up I'd imagine.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He and O'Neil have done well. It's one thing that us, Leeds and Leicester have been completely shite but you still need to step up and get the points to pull away and they did.

He did spend 200m and sign 30 players though so...you know.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
He and O'Neil have done well. It's one thing that us, Leeds and Leicester have been completely shite but you still need to step up and get the points to pull away and they did.

He did spend 200m and sign 30 players though so...you know.
If there is a miracle worker it’s O’Neil. Bournemouth were dead and buried but he turned it around with some great buys in Jan but largely the same team.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
If there is a miracle worker it’s O’Neil. Bournemouth were dead and buried but he turned it around with some great buys in Jan but largely the same team.
Hopefully that miracle has a brief pause. :nervous:

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
For sure, it's a great start. Getting promoted and then surviving by whatever means necessary is not easy. A whole host of Championship clubs would love to achieve that.

I just kind of think with the backing he got, you were entitled to have a pretty good stab at surviving. It's kind of what he's there for after that.

The test now is whether he can get you rising up the table. I think that's where the miracles are because everyone spends in this league. So it's not just about being better than the worst teams, it takes something special to distinguish yourself. That comes down to having better staff, better recruitment, and ultimately a better manager that is organising those parts compared to all the other clubs. If the owner is willing to keep throwing players at it and a certain proportion come good, there's a good opportunity there. Probably some of the squad needs cleaning up I'd imagine.
The owner is very ambitious and wants trophies - preferably European ones of the type Olympiakos can’t achieve. There’s already a bomb squad but it’s surprisingly small considering the transfer activity