Steve McClaren

simplyared

Paul Scholes and Michael Owen heaping praise over the guy. Saying he's up there with the best coaches they've worked with. They also say they refuse to believe he has anything to do with the current teams style of play.
Considering MaClarens experience that in itself must question Ten Hag's ability to utilize the people working around him. Seems like our manager is running his own show no matter what. Bad enough but beside the point!
My question is why has MaClaren not been figuring in the discussion to take over the reins if the board decides on an interim solution? He's certainly worthy of the job!
All the talk of bringing in Ollie, Mourinho, Keane etc when the obvious solution is under our noses?

Chicharo

He would actually be my first choice.
Not to mention the fact that none of those three could be seriously considered
But, we obviously won't make any changes before the season is over.

MoskvaRed

We don’t know whether McClaren has had input into this season’s tactical set up. Scholes and Owen have not worked with him for nearly 20 years and the game may have passed him by since the days when they worked with him as assistant to SAF and Sven. However, things are so desperate and morale so rock bottom,, I don’t see there is anything to lose by putting him in charge for the last few games.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
It's interesting because he was reported to be playing a pretty big role last season but it seems like we've not really heard much about him this season so maybe there is some truth in what Owen and Scholes are saying. I wonder if they've heard something.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Definitely not - not even for a few games. My overriding memories of him are relegating a Newcastle team that were too good to go down and failing to qualify for the Euros with one of the best ever England squads.

lex talionis

If the axe must fall tomorrow morning, best to give the role to McClaren than to bring in Jose or Ole.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If the axe must fall tomorrow morning, best to give the role to McClaren than to bring in Jose or Ole.
It would have to be as caretaker, given the other two aren't going to be managing United again. Nor would McLaren be staying more than a few games.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
We musht give it to Schteve, espeshially against arshenal.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
If we're getting an interim, it should be him on the basis that there's no chance of him being given it for the long term, so we'll avoid an Ole situation. Can barely see the point at this stage, though.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Those comments from Owen and Scholes sounded strange to me. Felt like a leak from the Mclaren camp to try & save his reputation.

The first rat jumping the sinking ship?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Those comments from Owen and Scholes sounded strange to me. Felt like a leak from the Mclaren camp to try & save his reputation.

The first rat jumping the sinking ship?
Not saying it wasn’t because that possibility always exists but it didn’t sound like that to me

Red Regista

He should be in charge of the FA Cup Final.
We got zero chance with Ten Hag tactics, maybe Shteeeve can switch it up a bit and solidify midfield and spring a few surprises on the counter.
Nothing to lose by putting him in charge. At the very least it would give the players and fanbase some hope prior to a match that we are guaranteed to lose under the current manager and assistant.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Not saying it wasn’t because that possibility always exists but it didn’t sound like that to me
Agreed. To me it felt like two ex-players that enjoyed working with him a while ago and being logically defensive about his current situation. You see that all the time, something similar happened when Mourinho(and many other managers) started to have issues, some of his ex-players would assume the absolute best.

Yakuza_devils

Seriously, I think give it to him for FA Cup final. With him we may have slim chance to win. With ETH don't bother even to watch. It will be painful.