Steven Gerrard | Al-Ettifaq Manager

TheLiverBird

They get about 1-3k fans against most of the teams until they face a top Saudi team and attendance rises to 14k. Yet the capacity is 26k. Real long way to go for the league.
Yet reportedly paying Gerrard £20 million tax free per year? So who cares on quality or crowd numbers

I know who’s winning

And it’s the new manager of Al Ettifaq

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I won't lie, I'm a little disappointed in Stevie going to an oil state club (they're all run under the government umbrella, everything in those countries is). Should have waited for another (less paid) role, it's not as though you'd be out of pocket. :(

Halftrack

Forgot about him going to Saudi and legit thought Ettifaq was some laboured attempt at calling City fans gay.

ArbeitervonWien

I won't lie, I'm a little disappointed in Stevie going to an oil state club (they're all run under the government umbrella, everything in those countries is). Should have waited for another (less paid) role, it's not as though you'd be out of pocket. :(
It sure is disappointing when a club legend does that. But hey, cheer up! At least your club is not gonna get bought by an oil state!

Real Name

Which just shows he's a crap manager and he knows it.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
don’t lose heart. he’ll only be there a few months. like any other management job he gets now.

Pronewbie

Peep
They get about 1-3k fans against most of the teams until they face a top Saudi team and attendance rises to 14k. Yet the capacity is 26k. Real long way to go for the league.
Not really. This phenomenon isn't new in Asia. First, the league and clubs get a nice bump in attendance. If they bring in a couple of big names I wouldn't be surprised if 14K becomes the baseline in the short-term.

The challenge is sustaining the level of interest and investment. And also the murkiness (tax avoidance, agent fees, money-laundering, match-fixing, kickbacks etc.) the football business brings with it.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Wettafaq? living the high life I see. Slipping on wet concrete in South Africa while listening to فيل كولينز

HTG

Supports
Bayern
This team sounds like a company Someone at ManCity made up to buy all their leftover tickets.

scottser

If Stevie grew his beard out, he'd be the spit of that Ramzan Kadryov lad.

TheLiverBird

I really don’t get this take less money statement

like a £1 million or £2 million a year managerial role somewhere in Europe?

Or £2 million - £3 million a year in punditry/media?

Or £20 million a year “tax free” for 2 year in Saudi aka as £40 million in total for his families future wealth

that’s equivalent before tax too earning perhaps £90 million in 2 years here in the UK…..he’ll be 45 after this stint £40 million quid richer to heavily support his no doubt expensive lifestyle and young enough too still rebuild his managerial career.

And if he can’t rebuild his managerial career then there will be nicely paid media punditry work available for him, he’s literally on a win win and no amount of ridicule (which we are entitle to throw at him) will be of much bother too him when he’s laughing all the way too the bank with the career he’s led.

nothing more irritating or boring than “what does he need more money for”

Rich people poor people, all want more money, and if you’re rich you certainly want to stay that way! And up keep that lifestyle, £40m tax free will certainly help.

Anyone bringing Morals into the equation ie sports washing and oil money and an inhumane regimes etc etc and just kidding themselves and conforming too “the right thing too say”

RuudTom83

Obviously the money was too good to say no...it will just be a bit cringe when he tries to dress it up as something different.

Grab the money Stevie.

Big Andy

Bloke

Or £20 million a year “tax free” for 2 year in Saudi aka as £40 million in total for his families future wealth

that’s equivalent before tax too earning perhaps £90 million in 2 years here in the UK…..he’ll be 45 after this stint £40 million quid richer to heavily support his no doubt expensive lifestyle and young enough too still rebuild his managerial career.

And if he can’t rebuild his managerial career then there will be nicely paid media punditry work available for him, he’s literally on a win win and no amount of ridicule (which we are entitle to throw at him) will be of much bother too him when he’s laughing all the way too the bank with the career he’s led.

Rich people poor people, all want more money, and if you’re rich you certainly want to stay that way! And up keep that lifestyle, £40m tax free will certainly help.

Anyone bringing Morals into the equation ie sports washing and oil money and an inhumane regimes etc etc and just kidding themselves and conforming too “the right thing too say”
£40m will pay off a lot of gangsters.

ScholesyTheWise

Yeah, 99.999999999999999999% of people will have chosen the same as Starfish did.
Either luckily or sadly for us average beings of the Caf,

we'll never have to face such a test of "go work for a murderous regime for two years, not the most demanding job, to say the least,
and earn 40M while you tell yourself something else to sleep at night".

It's practically a no-brainer.
who the feck will give up on this much money to do the right thing...

never meet your heroes, as the old saying goes...

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy

Some people on this forum get a bit taken in sometimes by Liverpool's match-going supporters often appearing to be on the right side (well, the left one) when it comes to political issues and the likes, so it's good to have a reminder that some of you are just as shameless as the worst of our fans.

Pintu

Put money on Gerrard getting Al-DaFuq relegated.
Apparently this club just got acquired by some rich local owners. They won't be anywhere near as good as PIF clubs, but they will certainly buy good enough players to keep them out of a relegation battle, in spite of what Slippy G might do...

Marwood

It's just incredible how lucky players of this and the last generation have been. The gravy train never stops.

To get £20 million a year at this point of his career. It'll become normalised but it's full on ridiculous.

glasgow 21

It's just incredible how lucky players of this and the last generation have been. The gravy train never stops.

To get £20 million a year at this point of his career. It'll become normalised but it's full on ridiculous.
Ridiculous is the word whilst the rest of us less mortals rip each other apart over the morals of this or that.