Stewart Lee

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee
Couldn't see a general thread on him.

Went to see him last night at the Lowry, was absolutely fantastic.

Henning Wehn did a 20 minute set as well.

Anyone else been to see him on this tour?

Eriku

Downloaded his show "If you prefer a milder comedian, please ask for one"... Had me in stitches.

Eccentric as feck, lovely.

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee
Yea, he's perfected a brand of surrealist comedy that isn't just running around acting like a dickhead.

The show was called Vegetable Stew.

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee
You really know how to ruin a thread don't you?

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Going to see him at the Leicester Square Theatre next weekend. Probably the best comedian around at the moment.

His book 'How I Escaped My Certain Fate' gives a good insight into how he constructs a show and the thought that goes into it.

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee
Quite sad that this thread is so unused.

What did you think of the show MUN?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Not seen him live but every show and clip I've seen of his has been absolutely hilarious. He's brilliant.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I was due to see him in Cardiff with Simon Munnery but the show got pulled due to a family illness.

re-schedualed for March though and going to try and catch the London run in December as well.

I agree with Mike that "How I Escaped My Certain Fate....." is a fantastic book.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Yep, saw him at The Curve in Leicester with Simon Munnery a few weeks back.

He talked for an hour or so about Crisps, Chiles & Cameron.

The routine about his Grandads hatred of all things Japanese had me in stitches. Hope that makes it to the TV series.

It was mostly new material but with some old favourites thrown in (Lineker & his obese kid deviancy). The Cameron story was also just another version of the Richard Hammond diatribe from the 'Milder Comedian' show.

And yep, that book is a brillaint read.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I Was There!!!....And it wasn't a life size inflatable model of ET...It was a life size inflatable model of Alf!!
Now im not saying right....that i'm jesus I'm not saying that....that's for you to go home and think about.

BUT if i was him....I'm not.
But if I wa...not him
But if I was him....I'm not
I know you think you am but I'm not, right.
"Aaa but if you were then you would say you wouldn't"
I'm not him. Right, im the last person he'd come back as
It definitely wouldn't be me.
"ooo maybe he would"
I'm not him.......

Let's have a clap for the IRA. The gentleman bombers.... They were decent British terrorists. They didn't want to be British....but they were.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Quite sad that this thread is so unused.

What did you think of the show MUN?
I enjoyed it. He did what appeared to be a semi-improvised routine with a guy in the front row in the second half, about the state of stand-up at the moment, which was genius. Stewart joked how moaning about electrical appliances has replaced moaning about the establishment (Tories) as the comedy staple, with rubbish comedians talking about how toasters only have two settings: burnt and frozen etc. Then a guy in the audience was adamant that his toaster did in fact only have two settings and it went on for ages and got funnier and funnier. The audience member was pretty funny too.

Other than that though, I don't know why - maybe because it was a Saturday matinee or whatever - but the audience was actually pretty muted throughout. Whenever I've seen him before he always manages to tip the audience over into hilarity, so it was quite interesting to see how he coped with a relatively unreceptive crowd.

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee
well between you, the job is guaranteed to be done.
Great post moses.

He talked for an hour or so about Crisps, Chiles & Cameron.

The routine about his Grandads hatred of all things Japanese had me in stitches. Hope that makes it to the TV series.
Yea, that was fantastic.

I thought he'd launch more of a scathing attack on Chiles, but he said himself that what he had to say wasn't actually too bad.

It was mostly new material but with some old favourites thrown in (Lineker & his obese kid deviancy). The Cameron story was also just another version of the Richard Hammond diatribe from the 'Milder Comedian' show.
That's the thing with Lee's comedy, it doesn't seem to stagnate as much as many more modern comedians' routines do. Even his pop.culture references seem more enduring than most.

... about the state of stand-up at the moment, which was genius.
I think it's fantastic when he launches into a speech about modern stand-up. Despite being hilarious throughout, you can actually see how much he cares about it.

Other than that though, I don't know why - maybe because it was a Saturday matinee or whatever - but the audience was actually pretty muted throughout. Whenever I've seen him before he always manages to tip the audience over into hilarity, so it was quite interesting to see how he coped with a relatively unreseptive crowd.
That's quite homo. The crowd at the Lowry were generally quite good (it was a saturday evening) though the couple sat next to me and my bro's got up and left after the introduction.

He specifically said he'd be doing at least another hour after the break, yet they just left. Weirdos.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
His new tour starts next week in London with a full countrywide schedule to be announced for the new year...

Stewart Lee Carpet Remnant World - Leicester Square Theatre

I has front row tickets for the late show on the 19th. I'm also seeing Stephen Merchant in Ipswich on the 17th so a bit of a live comedy extravaganza if you will.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I've just found that all of TMWRNJ are in full, on youtube. The best thing to be broadcast at midday on a sunday morning, ever! (apart from maybe Gazzetta Football Italia) ...Watching it now, it's incredible the stuff they got away with for the time slot.

narnar

Needs Help
Sweet, he's going to Belfast. Unfortunately none of my mates like/know him, and I don't want to go on my own.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
There was a huge thread on Lee where it was decided that people who liked him were prententious bastards, and those who didn't were dumb bastards. Nobody wins when it comes to Stewart Lee.

Ludens the Red

There was a huge thread on Lee where it was decided that people who liked him were prententious bastards, and those who didn't were dumb bastards. Nobody wins when it comes to Stewart Lee.
I like him and I'm not pretentious but people say that because he is pretentious, it's not observational joke after observational joke with him. Unlike Mr McIntyre (who I also like thus proving I'm not pretentious) but a lot of his fans are pretentious, you only have to watch one of his youtube videos before you see someone running down Lee Evans or McIntyre.

Interestingly the pretentious/dumb bastard theory also goes with the like/dislike of Radiohead.

narnar

Needs Help
He doesn't give me the impression of being pretentious. I think he's aware though that he is seen as that, but just wants to shun the limelight.

Liam147

On Probation
There is that about him. Sort of like Radiohead. I find him to be an intolerable cretin. Absolutely hate him. All he seems to do is criticise every little thing in the world, in a horribly angry way, without really saying what's wrong with it. Jack Dee has a similar style, yet I find him hilarious.

But as you say moses, only the really intelligent, cultured people who 'understand' comedy find him funny, whereas people like me, are all stupid.

What a condescending prick. God I hate him.

NewDawnFades

There is that about him. Sort of like Radiohead. I find him to be an intolerable cretin. Absolutely hate him. All he seems to do is criticise every little thing in the world, in a horribly angry way, without really saying what's wrong with it. Jack Dee has a similar style, yet I find him hilarious.

But as you say moses, only the really intelligent, cultured people who 'understand' comedy find him funny, whereas people like me, are all stupid.

What a condescending prick. God I hate him.
You are such a knob Laim.

beacon

All Creatures Great and Small
If you like him, it's well worth reading his book "How I Escaped my Certain Fate". It deals in detail with his methodology and the construction of his comedy.

I think what many see as pretension is actually a failure to grasp the fact that he deals in the construction and development of comedy in the same way that modern artists deal with the history and construction of art. You may not find it funny, horses for courses and all that, but if you understand his reasons behind what he does and his style then you will see that that there is no pretension there at all.

Personally I think he's fantastic. I think there may be funnier "comics", but I have a great admiration for his skills as an artist.

I don't think people who don't like him are stupid, anymore than I think those who do like him are more intelligent, but I think that some may be missing the point a bit.