STOP looking for complicated problems

Marwood

The quality thing is overblown. Newcastle don't have world beaters. The noticeable difference is they play with very high intensity, run and press like crazy, and put 200% of efforts in every ball. Man United don't do that.

This is a clear coaching issue imo. United need a manager with a style of high intensity like how Klopp transformed Liverpool in that regard within few months. Bring on a manager who plays high pressing and forces the players to play like maniacs and watch a different Man United.

The manager dictates the intensity of the team.
You need aggressive athletes for high intensity football.

Athletes who can play.

We don't have them.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Im watching so called lesser teams with lesser level players play so much better than we do.
Absolutely we have some players to get rid of but we are a very poorly coached team

el3mel

Well, Im going to sign out of this back and forth. I dont see any room for reasonable exchange or anything but a round in circles sort of conversation - you seem well set in your opinion on the manager, I see no point in trying to change your mind. You neglect though, that rogers had a style not dissimilar to klopp. I agree that we've jumped from manager to manager without any sort of continuity, and each succesive manager thereby inherits an even more disjointed squad.
As you wish.

Lost bear

Our players aren't good enough. It's a top 6 squad. Not close to a title winning one. So why should we expect more? (basic workrate aside)

We know, and have known for years, that several of these players, who still start too frequently, are simply not good enough for us to aim higher than 4th-6th. This isnt personal or an attack on these players, but it shows that recruitment, recruitment, recruitment, is the only way we get out of this horrible decade.

McTominay, starting in a midfield is absolute madness, unless youre looking for a 8-17th finish. He's not good at any of the things a top clubs midfields are good at. Its beyond belief that this is the guy we're turning to tonight. Next to an 18 year old. Absolutely two brazilian internationals will run them ragged.

Martial. Just stop. I dont think even any of his biggest fans on here would expect anything at this stage, away at newcastle, other than an invisible showing. An injury prone, non prolific, physically weak striker.

Rashford. Probably the biggest problem this season. Who here wouldn't swap him for Antony Gordon. Last seasons showing was a curse, as for the best part of a decade he too has been an inconsistent, non prolific player who doesn't excel at anything really, other than pace.

AWB. A massively improved player and an excellent defender, but again, simply lacks what is needed and what you can see at top clubs all over europe when it comes to attacking, intelligence, passing range and basic technique.

You'll never have a full squad of world class players and plenty of players we have are good enough to be part of a squad. But garnacho isnt there yet. Hojlund isnt there yet. Varane and Casemiro are quite clearly past their best.

This is the bulk of the squad. Has the recruitment under ten hag been good enough? Time will tell. I think that Onana, Mount, Hojlund, yes even Antony can all be part of a top team. Hopefully mainoo and garnacho emerge and reach their potential. But replacing the core of this squad with simply better players is essential. Recent windows just havent done it well enough, pre ten hag windows have proven to be disastrous.

Look at newcastles recruitment. Joelinton, Guimaraes, Gordon, Isak, Trippier - all players they knew exactly what they wanted to do with. Ourselves and Chelsea are miles behind when it comes to spotting what we actually need.

Adding here to avoid a new thread, as im talking about player quality. A poll would be nice.

Who would win the league?- Guardiola with this United squad, or Ten hag with City's squad. I dont think it's even close to be honest. This squad is incapable of winning a league title in my opinion. Guardiola would maybe get more in some areas, but be real. Martial, McTominay, Rashford, Wan Bissaka, Dalot, and more, simply arent up to the level he'd need where pure ability, intelligence and talent is concerned.
Agree with you except with respect to Wan bissaka, who I think has improved a lot in his attacking play and even technique. However, I concede the general point- too many of the players simply aren’t good enough. Partly that’s down to what ETH inherited, but more than that, his recruitment has been poor and lacking in lucidity.

Marwood

He could have played Shaw at left back and Dalot right back. He could take McTominay out of the 11 at any point. We’ve looked shite with Højlund. We’ve got a really expensive right winger to play instead of Rashford. Still shit.

this is nothing to do with player quality. It’s amazing that people can still think this is the problem.
Work your way through tonights XI. If we sold them tomorrow where would they end up? How would their careers go over the next three years.

I won't go through them one by one, it's been said enough, but so many of them are mid table players. Or players past their best or too young etc etc.

Dan_F

Im going to add this to the OP to avoid a new thread.

Who do you think would win the league, Ten Hag in charge of citys current squad, or Guardiola in charge of this. Keep in mind how badly guardiola struggled at times in his first season.
Neither. But Pep managed to clear the players he needed to quickly and identify those he needed to bring in. Ten Hag cannot take all of the blame for that, or even the majority of it. But the bottom line is that we’re not talking about winning titles. We’re talking about controlling a game against a fecking Turkish team or actually creating a meaningful chance against Newcastle. Pep would do that with this squad.

baskinginthesun

This what we have to trust. Ive likened it before to slowly clearing an overgrown garden of weeds. It takes time to get all the weeds out and there'll be overlap of weeds and new plants. If we just change the manager over and over, all we're getting is weeds and a mismatch of new plants. Im sure Ive worded it better than that before, but you get my point. It will take about 4-5 out, 4-5 in for several summers, signed well according to age and youth players coming through.
No club in the world has the patience for that kind of rebuild. Even United who hang on to mangers well past their sell by.

el3mel

Neither. But Pep managed to clear the players he needed to quickly and identify those he needed to bring in. Ten Hag cannot take all of the blame for that, or even the majority of it. But the bottom line is that we’re not talking about winning titles. We’re talking about controlling a game against a fecking Turkish team or actually creating a meaningful chance against Newcastle. Pep would do that with this squad.
Pep would have transformed United within 2 years. I have no doubt in my mind Guardiola would have made United the same dominant force as City. It took him one year at City and here I bet would have taken him no longer than 2 years to win the league.

JimiboyX

Agree with the sentiment. There are a million and one smaller problems but the disjointed, nonsensical recruitment is what has cost us ultimately.

All the money spent and we are relying on the likes of Hojlund, Garnacho and Mainoo. They're kids. The properly run clubs with squads that make sense are in a position of strength, where they can give kids like that game time without piling pressure on them before they're ready. That used to be us under Ferguson. Now we're utterly reliant on them because our expensive signings are almost always not up to it.

Cerberus

Our players aren't good enough. It's a top 6 squad. Not close to a title winning one. So why should we expect more? (basic workrate aside)

Who would win the league?- Guardiola with this United squad, or Ten hag with City's squad. I dont think it's even close to be honest. This squad is incapable of winning a league title in my opinion. Guardiola would maybe get more in some areas, but be real. Martial, McTominay, Rashford, Wan Bissaka, Dalot, and more, simply arent up to the level he'd need where pure ability, intelligence and talent is concerned.
Let's assume you're right and our squad is not good enough to win the title. Who entered this club asking for complete control of transfers and spent 400 million in two transfer windows that results in the mess we have now?

Mwooyo

Not going to lie, ETH has to take the blame for these performances. Game after game we lack control in the midfield...every game is a ping pong match. That can not be the blame of the players...the blame goes to the coach for his instructions. Its actually more obvious when you consider that no matter which midfield we select, we always lack control...whether mctominay or casemiro,its the same theme. What instructions does ETH give these players every week. Its like the previous week didnt even happen

Dan_F

Work your way through tonights XI. If we sold them tomorrow where would they end up? How would their careers go over the next three years.

I won't go through them one by one, it's been said enough, but so many of them are mid table players. Or players past their best or too young etc etc.
Are they? Because we took out de Gea and got the profile of keeper we wanted, who got to a champions league final. Now shit. We have several England internationals who have got to deep stages of tournaments and had great spells for us. Now shit. We have five times champions league winners who are now shit. We have several of ten hags expensive signings. Shit.

I will absolutely allow for the full backs and Martial, however we’ve looked just as shit with Hojlund up top mostly. We’ve been banging on about individual quality for years and things never change. We were shit with Di Maria and Ibra or Cavani and Pogba.

This team is squeaking past clubs with far less quality and that is just proving the point. There is no chance Copenhagen or Palace have a better man for man team. Defeats will absolutely happen against these teams from time to time, but it’s a pattern now.

wolvored

TH is causing the problems by picking favourites over other players. Rashford has been awful all season. Antony McTom isnt good enough. He drops our best CH and brings in a DM then hardly picks him. Tries to sell Maguire, now picks him and been lucky he is playing to a good standard. He somehow thinks we have a plan on the pitch and he wants to stick to it, although the football played is a pile of shit. Its no difference to Oles final season, or Ragnick. At least Ragnick was right when he said Utd needed open heart surgery.

Marwood

Are they? Because we took out de Gea and got the profile of keeper we wanted, who got to a champions league final. Now shit. We have several England internationals who have got to deep stages of tournaments and had great spells for us. Now shit. We have five times champions league winners who are now shit. We have several of ten hags expensive signings. Shit.

I will absolutely allow for the full backs and Martial, however we’ve looked just as shit with Hojlund up top mostly. We’ve been banging on about individual quality for years and things never change. We were shit with Di Maria and Ibra or Cavani and Pogba.

This team is squeaking past clubs with far less quality and that is just proving the point. There is no chance Copenhagen or Palace have a better man for man team. Defeats will absolutely happen against these teams from time to time, but it’s a pattern now.
Because we keep signing the wrong individuals. Look at their careers post United for the one's who have left. What have they done?

Or as I say, ask where would these players end up if sold today. Would Martial even get a Premier League move? The fullbacks, Maguire, Lindelof, McTominay, Antony, they're nothing more than mid table players. That's a big part of our squad.

Likewise no top four team would now come in for Varane, they all know he's done. Equally no top 4 team wants a 20 year old striker with little goal scoring record.

Rashford crap under Rangnick, as he was for Ole's last 10 month.

I could go on with other players but you're falling for names and status. Look what they're actually doing on the pitch.

Juicy Juiced

We didn't have WC manager, or at least level below, since Ferguson.
There is nothing complicated.

SER19

Let's assume you're right and our squad is not good enough to win the title. Who entered this club asking for complete control of transfers and spent 400 million in two transfer windows that results in the mess we have now?
Ten Hag did, but id still argue that martinez, onana, hojlund, antony (yes antony) and mount can all be part of success and are all better players technically and work rate wise than the ones ive mentioned as examples of problems.

Who do you want in your line up, Onana, Martinez, Mount, Antony, Hojlund - or De Gea, Lindelof, McTominay, Sancho, Martial. These are upgrades, we just need many many more of them

Dan_F

Because we keep signing the wrong individuals. Look at their careers post United for the one's who have left. What have they done?

Or as I say, ask where would these players end up if sold today. Would Martial even get a Premier League move? The fullbacks, Maguire, Lindelof, McTominay, Antony, they're nothing more than mid table players. That's a big part of our squad.

Likewise no top four team would now come in for Varane, they all know he's done. Equally no top 4 team wants a 20 year old striker with little goal scoring record.

Rashford crap under Rangnick, as he was for Ole's last 10 month.

I could go on with other players but you're falling for names and status. Look what they're actually doing on the pitch.
For us…this is the whole point I was making. Yes no top clubs would sign these players now after they’ve been playing badly for us, but it certainly wasn’t the case when we signed them.

Again, we’re not talking top four, we’re talking about being able to comfortably beat Turkish teams (by the way guess where Fred went) or Luton (guess where two of our unwanted youth players are).

I’m far more worried about our regression against poor teams than I am the top six, as it shows that it’s simply not about individual quality.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Our squad is top tier. We just have injuries and confidence problems. Stop ignoring these main issues. Nothing to do with the manager or the players.

Dan_F

Pep would have transformed United within 2 years. I have no doubt in my mind Guardiola would have made United the same dominant force as City. It took him one year at City and here I bet would have taken him no longer than 2 years to win the league.
I don’t think we have the structure to allow for that. We’d still have Mangala and Bravo in the team.

el3mel

Ten Hag did, but id still argue that martinez, onana, hojlund, antony (yes antony) and mount can all be part of success and are all better players technically and work rate wise than the ones ive mentioned as examples of problems.

Who do you want in your line up, Onana, Martinez, Mount, Antony, Hojlund - or De Gea, Lindelof, McTominay, Sancho, Martial. These are upgrades, we just need many many more of them
Funny as he has been playing Scott McTominay ahead of Mount for a long time now.

Onana isn't an improvement over De Gea no matter what.

el3mel

I don’t think we have the structure to allow for that. We’d still have Mangala and Bravo in the team.
Nah we have ton of money to spend. Guardiola would have just spent it better and would have been more ruthless in selling bad ones. United give too many chances to failed transfers till they lose their value and we become unable to sell them. Martial should have been sold years ago but United kept giving him chances after chances till he's going to leave on free now. This would never happen under Guardiola.

SER19

Funny as he has been playing Scott McTominay ahead of Mount for a long time now.

Onana isn't an improvement over De Gea no matter what.
No Mount has missed 9 games this season through injury and not had any chance to build up some form. He's obviously going to start ahead of mctominay when fully fit and consistent. remains to be seen if he's a success or not though.

Dan_F

Nah we have ton of money to spend. Guardiola would have just spent it better and would have been more ruthless in selling bad ones. United give too many chances to failed transfers till they lose their value and we become unable to sell them. Martial should have been sold years ago but United kept giving him chances after chances till he's going to leave on free now. This would never happen under Guardiola.
Wasn’t it one of the Glazers that gave Martial the new contract? It’s not so easy to move players on when they’re on inflated wages and we’re still paying off the fee. Ten Hag has frozen out Sancho and it’s killing us financially. I can’t believe this is even a debate.

el3mel

No Mount has missed 9 games this season through injury and not had any chance to build up some form. He's obviously going to start ahead of mctominay when fully fit and consistent. remains to be seen if he's a success or not though.
That's just your wishful thinking though. Scott had started with Mount on the bench several times instead of Ten Hag trying to, say, play Mount into fitness. These are facts that actually happened

SER19

That's just your wishful thinking though. Scott had started with Mount on the bench several times instead of Ten Hag trying to, say, play Mount into fitness. These are facts that actually happened
No, youre simplifying again. I genuinely think its best if you just put me on mute, I generally dont enjoy engaging with you. It's all a bit black and white for me.

el3mel

Wasn’t it one of the Glazers that gave Martial the new contract? It’s not so easy to move players on when they’re on inflated wages and we’re still paying off the fee. Ten Hag has frozen out Sancho and it’s killing us financially. I can’t believe this is even a debate.
It's easier to sell them when they still have value in the market. If you keep them until everyone realize they are shit players with no hope in them and on top of them are on big salary, good luck trying to sell them. Man United is just not ruthless enough.

el3mel

No, youre simplifying again. I genuinely think its best if you just put me on mute, I generally dont enjoy engaging with you. It's all a bit black and white for me.
Why would I put you on the ignore? If you don't want to see my posts, put me on yours.

Remember the geese

We have never been able to adapt to modern football. By "modern", I mean the era from around the end of Fergie's time to today. In the last couple of years of Fergie's tenure we won games through sheer habit, not because we were up to speed with, or pioneers of, any such tactical or stylistic innovations.

Look at this evening's match. Even just watching the first half, you knew we were never winning that game. Nor coming away with a draw most likely. Newcastle aren't a particularly good side but they have the fundamentals in place. They play with a level of intensity and to a man, have a basic standard of work rate that should be the absolute minimum you would expect. Yet it isn't the absolute minimum where Manchester United are concerned because we simply cannot compete with it. In fact, no United manager since Ferguson has been able to instill these very basic fundamentals into the side.

el3mel

You quote me and engage with me, i dont do the same. Its your call.
Are you for real? :lol: I'm not the one annoyed with your posts. If you are annoyed with mine, put me on your ignore list. Easy.

El Presidente

Only one of those in the starting tonight was a Ten Hag signing. We’re a disjointed mess of Solskjaer / Mourinho and haven’t built a team to play a particular way. I can’t wait for us to have a competent recruitment structure- until that is sorted we’ll continue to play in fits and starts as ultimately the collective isn’t good enough
Can we stop with this shit? It's because the bench was littered with his signings that he, himself, decided to drop, because they have no place at this level at all.

SER19

Are you for real? :lol: I'm not the one annoyed with your posts. If you are annoyed with mine, put me on your ignore list. Easy.
Im not annoyed, I simply ignore you and dont quote you or try to engage you in a back and forth. You do however, and they often go the same tedious way. I'm asking politely, there are plenty of posters here that youll get more useful conversation with. I dont see the point in us going back and forth and dont enjoy it.

SER19

Can we stop with this shit? It's because the bench was littered with his signings that he, himself, decided to drop, because they have no place at this level at all.
Hojlund and Antony are both returning to fitness and both started in turkey. Reguilon and Amrabat are both loan signings, who we all pretty much expect to start every game on the bench. Amrabat also started on wednesday in turkey and we have another game on wednesday, after 3 away games in 6 days. None of them, were 'dropped.'

el3mel

Im not annoyed, I simply ignore you and dont quote you or try to engage you in a back and forth. You do however, and they often go the same tedious way. I'm asking politely, there are plenty of posters here that youll get more useful conversation with. I dont see the point in us going back and forth and dont enjoy it.
You are free to ignore my posts and don't reply on me whenever I quote you but I'm not obliged to ignore your posts. When I don't like to engage with someone I just put them on the ignore list and forget they exist, I don't go to them and ask them to ignore me. Weird.

El Presidente

Hojlund and Antony are both returning to fitness and both started in turkey. Reguilon and Amrabat are both loan signings, who we all pretty much expect to start every game on the bench. Amrabat also started on wednesday in turkey and we have another game on wednesday, after 3 away games in 6 days. None of them, were 'dropped.'
The only reason Amrabat is a loan signing is because we didn't have enough money to sign him permanently. Also a 10M loan fee should tell you everything. Also, Mctominay is clearly prefered ahead of him right now.
Antony sat on the bench in multiple matches recently, while being fully fit, which was unthinkable last season. I'd classify him as dropped.
Fair enough on Reguilon, he was just an emergency last-minute signing so no expectations on him. And I agree that under different circumstances Hojlund would have started, but his minutes are managed.
Mount hardly played much before the injury, mostly watched the games from the stands, but what was the point of him anyway.

His transfers are obviously shocking and will ultimately get him sacked, but that's not the point of the initial post. The question was, what was EtH supposed to do when his players weren't starting the game today. And the answer is, if after more than 400M spent and 18 months on the training pitch with this group you are starting the game with 1 of your signings, then that's mostly on you. And let's just ignore the fact that Newcastle had a full XI missing today.

Hammondo

Joelinton was bought as a striker under Steve Bruce but was so shite in front of goal he got converted to a midfielder. Other than that your point stands.
I don't think he's good though, very clumsy.

Hammondo

Wish we'd stop this nonsense...most of us would take our squad over theirs, on paper. Just look back at the mass turning up of noses when Trippier was linked with us. Its tactics and coaching. Swap the management teams around, give it a few weeks and I'd put my houses and kids on us stuffing them.

Also a top 6 squad should he performing a zillion times better than we are...were playing like a team in the lower third of the table.
I think their squad is better on paper, I'm not sure what you are talking about.