Stories of ticket price increases across the country

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
While I agree with the sentiment and rest of your post as a whole, inflation is a thing - literally nothing is the same price it was 12 years ago.

Also it's like £5.5m a season + cup games - which, whilst wouldn't even get you a decent player - is not nothing.
There's so much almost senseless waste when it comes to spending in football, it annoys me that fans often have to bare the brunt of some of that excess. Over two summers, United spent 170million on two wingers in Antony and Sancho. Both players could feasibly be sold in the summer for a combined fee of around (if we're lucky) 100million. A potential loss of 70million (plus the spending on their wages) on two 'assets' that ultimately contributed very little.

We spent 65million on Casemiro, a player that we all agree will need replacing less than two years after he signed.

Similar with Varane, even if he lasted a year longer.

The 5.5 million you make from increasing prices and annoying the loyal 'customers' who turn up every week, doesn't look particularly high when you take all that account.
Season tickets themselves currently price so many fans out of 'ordinary' tickets. And have done for many years. Every fan will be replaced by one with deeper pockets and every time that is replaced they will think it represents the death of football. If you're currently paying £1000 for a season ticket, you might be there because someone who couldn't afford that outlay had to give up his seat.

I'm not defending the rises but season ticket holders have benefitted hugely to many people being priced out of the game. Now they're being priced out. Those that price them out will be priced out themselves in years to come too.
Imo, two points here.

1. You are correct on the number of season tickets everywhere being too high. That is ultimately making it difficult for fans who can't find £700 in a summer, to attend a reasonable number of matches. The time to fight against that vanished in the mid 90s sadly.

2. However, in the modern game anyway, those same season ticket holders have become the lifeblood of a teams support. There's not a chance Man United, as an example, would sell an extra 10/15,000 individual tickets for next week's match v Sheffield United if the number of ST renewals had been reduced by that same number last summer.

Last edited:

hp88

I’m under the impression that season ticket holders are no longer wanted at United and I can understand why from a business prospective.

I will pay for my renewal next month and the additional ACS game but other than that they’re only going to make at most another £50/60 out me over the season.

Now if you are someone going for the first time or you don’t go often you will want to make your day out more memorable whether it be a program, shirt, museum visit etc.. I reckon your going to spend more money than the average season ticket holder.