Stories of ticket price increases across the country

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Generations of fans being outpriced across the country. Forest are the latest club.

I fear this is a trend that's all going to continue.

Gavinb33

Generations of fans being outpriced across the country. Forest are the latest club.

I fear this is a trend that's all going to continue.

The sharp incline for Forest is surely due to the jump from the championship to the PL but 361% is pretty ridiculous.

United didn't raise theirs for over a decade before last year and even then its only been a few quid a game so its not been to bad and almost had to happen based on the current climate and rising costs to put on matches

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
The sharp incline for Forest is surely due to the jump from the championship to the PL but 361% is pretty ridiculous.

United didn't raise theirs for over a decade before last year and even then its only been a few quid a game so its not been to bad and almost had to happen based on the current climate and rising costs to put on matches
Rising costs to put on matches is an interesting point.

Isn't that mainly because clubs got silly with wages and started paying players at least double what they were actually worth? Maybe teams like Forest and United need to start being stronger here?

Forest have also spent an insane amount of players, for them anyway. It's always annoyed me that the cost of a clubs (usually failed) transfer policy is passed onto the their matchgoing support.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
would be interested to know the breakdown of that 361% rise, cant just be standard increases - probably something to do with kids discounts and I assume most clubs raise prices when they hit the PL

Seen the Scousers moaning about a 2% rise which is hardly something to get too upset about given inflation etc

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Why I barely go to Goodison and watch lower league games around London instead. Unless you're in the same city as your club its bloody hard. Costs me about £200 when you add up trains/match ticket/food etc for a game.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
It's depressing. Unsurprisingly we already have people in here defending increases on inflation. Football clubs do not need to bleed an extra £100 out of a 25 year old to pay running costs. It's profiteering nonsense. And will only get worse as supporters would rather get one up on a rival than unite together on these scandals.

Nickelodeon

It's so difficult to get tickets even if there are some available. As a person new to the UK, if it hadn't been for the ticket thread here at the Caf, I would've had to fork out 400 quid for the Corporate seats or not watched a game at all.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
It's so difficult to get tickets even if there are some available. As a person new to the UK, if it hadn't been for the ticket thread here at the Caf, I would've had to fork out 400 quid for the Corporate seats or not watched a game at all.
I'm largely out of the loop now when it comes to match by match tickets at OT but isn't it relatively easy to get tickets for any non big 6 game with a membership?

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Why I barely go to Goodison and watch lower league games around London instead. Unless you're in the same city as your club its bloody hard. Costs me about £200 when you add up trains/match ticket/food etc for a game.
I'm the same with Brighton, I probably go once or twice a season using my cousin's season ticket. I live in Bristol now and my daughter and I have season tickets for Bristol Rovers. She's under 14 so for both was just under 400 quid for next season which I thought was pretty good. It's a rise of about 20 quid on the season just ending.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
would be interested to know the breakdown of that 361% rise, cant just be standard increases - probably something to do with kids discounts and I assume most clubs raise prices when they hit the PL

Seen the Scousers moaning about a 2% rise which is hardly something to get too upset about given inflation etc
It’s definitely gone from a child ticket to adult or something as there hasn’t been anywhere near a 361% increase on any of their adult tickets.

Two years ago they started at £385 for an adult in the Championship. For next season the cheapest is £550 and highest is £850. A decent increase in itself but it’s hard to take people seriously when they intentionally misrepresent the facts to come up with shite like the above 361%. Can complain about the average increase without the sensationalism.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I'm largely out of the loop now when it comes to match by match tickets at OT but isn't it relatively easy to get tickets for any non big 6 game with a membership?
No they completely ruined the ticket system. It's a shambles now.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It's depressing. Unsurprisingly we already have people in here defending increases on inflation. Football clubs do not need to bleed an extra £100 out of a 25 year old to pay running costs. It's profiteering nonsense. And will only get worse as supporters would rather get one up on a rival than unite together on these scandals.
Spot on

pacifictheme

No they completely ruined the ticket system. It's a shambles now.
Also this. It is horrendous now, I basically get season tickets transferred to me. That's what I pay membership for now. Haven't tried to get a ticket through the club for years because it's fecking awful.

The ballot system was so much better.

binary bot
It’s absolute madness when you compare it to player wages / transfer fees and tv deals.

Football shirts too, anyone buying a legit football shirt at the current prices deserves it

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I'm the same with Brighton, I probably go once or twice a season using my cousin's season ticket. I live in Bristol now and my daughter and I have season tickets for Bristol Rovers. She's under 14 so for both was just under 400 quid for next season which I thought was pretty good. It's a rise of about 20 quid on the season just ending.
That's pretty decent. Have applied for one at Leyton Orient myself so will see what happens with that!

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
A decent increase in itself but it’s hard to take people seriously when they intentionally misrepresent the facts to come up with shite like the above 361%.
A 43% increase in 3 years is also a lot and would still make a solid point. Pointless of him to exaggerate like that..

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Same reason why I don't get down to Old Trafford much nowadays. If I have to choose between £150-250 spent on a ticket, fuel, food etc or spend that money on my kids then I can't get away with it more than once or twice a season now otherwise my wife would kill me.

And it's worse now that I'm at the mercy of random ticket resale sites where I inevitably get stuck in the same NE corner, after paying a hundred odd quid for the ticket, after eating the same depressing looking baked potato and watching some Instagram twat taking those shit backshot photos with their Instagram twat enabling twat partner like the pair of twats that they are. You don't think it can get more depressing than that but then the fecking match starts.

And the songs in that part of the stadium are pathetic. They all say they love kicking a blue but I don't feel like they really mean it. And apparently nobody there knows that Elland Road is full of sheep.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Yeah. Spot on. I'd love it if we had the mentality of the German fans.

What's annoying is we did do it for the ESL and ultimately played a part in its demise.

It’s absolute madness when you compare it to player wages / transfer fees and tv deals.

Football shirts too, anyone buying a legit football shirt at the current prices deserves it
A point I'll always make is if clubs can find it in their budget to spend hundreds of millions on new players every season, there should be something for keeping prices affordable.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
it’s disgusting.

if they keep raising the prices it’ll be cheaper for some of your kind to start coming to the rugby or cricket.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
No - ticket demand is very high at the moment despite how crap the team have been

Although in saying that - there is tickets available for Sheffield United next week but that's the exception this season

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
No - ticket demand is very high at the moment despite how crap the team have been

Although in saying that - there is tickets available for Sheffield United next week but that's the exception this season
I've not been for a while now, but my dad wants to go as a family when my boy's a bit older so had a glance, and he's now considering the hospitality route when the time comes because it seems extremely unlikely that we're going to get the 3-5 tickets we'll need to all sit together.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Demand for United tickets has been as high as it has ever been this season. Supply doesn’t meet demand for vast majority of matches.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Once the line is crossed from needing supporters to help sustain the club to bleeding us there is no going back

we are football customers now - not supporters.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I assume that's aimed me!

I dont think a 2% rise is much to get worked up about, nothing to do with rivalries

I'm ok with the small recent rise in OT ticket prices

What does that £100 figure refer to?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I've not been for a while now, but my dad wants to go as a family when my boy's a bit older so had a glance, and he's now considering the hospitality route when the time comes because it seems extremely unlikely that we're going to get the 3-5 tickets we'll need to all sit together.
Best bet is cup games or midweeks (although I realise that might not be an option with a child) - you have no chance of 5 tickets together for a PL games, 2 or 3 for less demand matches is possible

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Once the line is crossed from needing supporters to help sustain the club to bleeding us there is no going back

we are football customers now - not supporters.
The future is going to be amazing as a fan.

"INEOS Hand Sanitizer Stadium. Please wave your Fast Pass Early Access Premium tickets in the air for your United Devilz of Manchester sponsored by all-new INEOS Luxury Hand Sanitizer. The game will begin in the second half with the Devilz 2-0 ahead after the AI simulation of the first half. Today's VAR referees/influencers are IShowSpeed and Holly Peers."

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Best bet is cup games or midweeks (although I realise that might not be an option with a child) - you have no chance of 5 tickets together for a PL games, 2 or 3 for less demand matches is possible
I said as much to him. We're a few years away yet anyway.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Prepare to see empty seats and prices falling again over the next couple of years.

People's income hasn't increased as much as bills, generally and luxuries like football will lose to paying for essentials.

The most popular clubs will be able to get away with more. I still remember Rosenborg, we had about 25k for that game... Bad economy will hurt football.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
The future is going to be amazing as a fan.

"INEOS Hand Sanitizer Stadium. Please wave your Fast Pass Early Access Premium tickets in the air for your United Devilz of Manchester sponsored by all-new INEOS Luxury Hand Sanitizer. The game will begin in the second half with the Devilz 2-0 ahead after the AI simulation of the first half. Today's VAR referees/influencers are IShowSpeed and Holly Peers."
:(

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
The Forest ticket price rises seem to be right across the board, location and age group wise. We were always pretty reasonably priced up until now. I think the sharp rise has been driven by greed and demand. There is a waiting list for season tickets and every home match is sold out. What galls a lot of fans is that some areas of the ground are a shambles with zero investment for a decade or more.

Personally, this is pretty much final nail in the coffin for me. We’ve finally morphed into a greedy faceless, corporate Prem club, with the supreme irony being we could (and dare I say should) get relegated. I’m certainly not stumping up for the ‘triffic prem experience of VAR, shit reffing, balance sheets and not being able to celebrate a goal until some wonk in an office says yay or nay. Over and out!

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Ticket price wise United have had it pretty good over the last decade or so - well for my season ticket anyway, it was £37 a game for absolutely ages, then went up to about £39 last year and now £41 - so £4 rise over two years (after being totally frozen for the prior 10 I believe) - which yeah isn't great, but also could be much worse. Especially with the rate that tickets for events in general have seem to gone up (can barely get a gig for under £40 these days)

Be interesting to see what direction it goes under INEOS though.

Big Andy

Bloke
Also this. It is horrendous now, I basically get season tickets transferred to me. That's what I pay membership for now. Haven't tried to get a ticket through the club for years because it's fecking awful.

The ballot system was so much better.
Wait, how do they do it now?

I've had to get a membership for next season as I usually just got tickets whatsapped to me by mates, but now I hear they are having them only accessible through the app and they'll have QR codes that move now, so didn't want to risk anything for next season.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
The Forest ticket price rises seem to be right across the board, location and age group wise. We were always pretty reasonably priced up until now. I think the sharp rise has been driven by greed and demand. There is a waiting list for season tickets and every home match is sold out. What galls a lot of fans is that some areas of the ground are a shambles with zero investment for a decade or more.

Personally, this is pretty much final nail in the coffin for me. We’ve finally morphed into a greedy faceless, corporate Prem club, with the supreme irony being we could (and dare I say should) get relegated. I’m certainly not stumping up for the ‘triffic prem experience of VAR, shit reffing, balance sheets and not being able to celebrate a goal until some wonk in an office says yay or nay. Over and out!
Here is the real details of the Forest rises:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68835277

Does sound pretty ridiculous, especially when you don't know which league you will be in - you'd hope fans would vote with their feet but sounds like there are fans ready to snap up any tickets

There should be rules about maximum price rises in 1 year, 20%+ is not reasonable

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Ticket price wise United have had it pretty good over the last decade or so - well for my season ticket anyway, it was £37 a game for absolutely ages, then went up to about £39 last year and now £41 - so £4 rise over two years (after being totally frozen for the prior 10 I believe) - which yeah isn't great, but also could be much worse. Especially with the rate that tickets for events in general have seem to gone up (can barely get a gig for under £40 these days)

Be interesting to see what direction it goes under INEOS though.
Everything else is more expensive so this should be more expensive. Not sure I get this logic

Why shouldn't it have stayed at £37? In the grand scheme of things, it won't even bring in that much more money. £4 increase per match across the board brings in approximately £280,000. For season ticket holders, it's probably an extra £100+ if you include cup games.

You can save that money in outgoings by selling some of the wasters that currently play for us and being more sensible in general with regards to wages/transfer fees.

I fear under INEOS (if they eventually buy the majority of the club) prices will only go higher unless there's a pushback from fans.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Everything else is more expensive so this should be more expensive. Not sure I get this logic

Why shouldn't it have stayed at £37? In the grand scheme of things, it won't even bring in that much more money. £4 increase per match across the board brings in approximately £280,000. For season ticket holders, it's probably an extra £100+ if you include cup games.

You can save that money in outgoings by selling some of the wasters that currently play for us and being more sensible in general with regards to wages/transfer fees.

I fear under INEOS (if they eventually buy the majority of the club) prices will only go higher unless there's a pushback from fans.
While I agree with the sentiment and rest of your post as a whole, inflation is a thing - literally nothing is the same price it was 12 years ago.

Also it's like £5.5m a season + cup games - which, whilst wouldn't even get you a decent player - is not nothing.

Malons

Season tickets themselves currently price so many fans out of 'ordinary' tickets. And have done for many years. Every fan will be replaced by one with deeper pockets and every time that is replaced they will think it represents the death of football. If you're currently paying £1000 for a season ticket, you might be there because someone who couldn't afford that outlay had to give up his seat.

I'm not defending the rises but season ticket holders have benefitted hugely to many people being priced out of the game. Now they're being priced out. Those that price them out will be priced out themselves in years to come too.