Television Stranger Things (Netflix Original) | CONTAINS SPOILERS

wr8_utd

:'(
I think Millie Bobby Brown (who plays El) agrees with the plot armor and she said that the show does need to kill off some characters and she found it a bit "ridiculous" that Harper survived.

Big Andy

Bloke
I think Millie Bobby Brown (who plays El) agrees with the plot armor and she said that the show does need to kill off some characters and she found it a bit "ridiculous" that Harper survived.
At the end of the day, she's just a kid, who the feck is she to tell the writers who lived and breathed this story for years what to do?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I think he meets the shadow particles but they only take the Mind Flayer's form after he's done some hand gestures etc.
I enjoyed the post you shared! I could be wrong, but my guess is that the shadow isn't sentient until it's controlled by or infecting someone, but it also makes sense if it's some sort of god/demon to make a deal with.
Hopefully they’re planning to explain it more and not just leave that open. That’d be pretty frustrating.

padr81

Supports
Man City
At the end of the day, she's just a kid, who the feck is she to tell the writers who lived and breathed this story for years what to do?
She's entitled to an opinion like anyone else. She's not forcing them or telling them what to do.
Just offering an opinion
that many people agree with that the stakes don't feel high when the team is immune to death.

wr8_utd

She's entitled to an opinion like anyone else. She's not forcing them or telling them what to do.
Just offering an opinion
that many people agree with that the stakes don't feel high when the team is immune to death.
I agree with this assessment. While I don't want deaths just for shock factor, the fact that the biggest of monsters/enemies can easily kill absolutely everyone but a bunch of kids means that there really are no tense moments in the show because you know the kids will all miraculously survive no matter what they're up against. The Duffer Brothers also love to introduce new characters who serve the purpose of killing characters. Then there's the whole resurrection of characters who should be dead. Maybe it's just me but it does feel lazy writing at times. I know this is ultimately a nostalgic kids show but when you've had all these elements of horror and gruesome deaths, it does feel strange watching the show knowing that none of this will befall anyone truly important.

Roosney

Applies to quite a few on here...

I'm all for being a miserable bastard but hating on a show and then continuing to hate-watch is another level.
I don't hate the show, only Argyle. And the downgrading of Robyn. And the Suzy house scene. And the Crash Bandicoot bats. And the Vecna character.

avgp_1

A season that was going all so well let down by an underwhelming final episode. Guess I will still count it as a good season overall considering how good volume1 was

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
What happened to 8 (Kali) from Season 2? DId they just decide to bin off that whole aspect of the storyline? How did 8 survive the massacre in the lab...?

padr81

Supports
Man City
What happened to 8 (Kali) from Season 2? DId they just decide to bin off that whole aspect of the storyline? How did 8 survive the massacre in the lab...?
Think they binned it off because it was probably the worst episode in the series.
8 had already left before the massacre, very likely helped by No.1. Its mentioned in one episode that she's already fled.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I agree with this assessment. While I don't want deaths just for shock factor, the fact that the biggest of monsters/enemies can easily kill absolutely everyone but a bunch of kids means that there really are no tense moments in the show because you know the kids will all miraculously survive no matter what they're up against. The Duffer Brothers also love to introduce new characters who serve the purpose of killing characters. Then there's the whole resurrection of characters who should be dead. Maybe it's just me but it does feel lazy writing at times. I know this is ultimately a nostalgic kids show but when you've had all these elements of horror and gruesome deaths, it does feel strange watching the show knowing that none of this will befall anyone truly important.
Exactly, I'm not expecting them to suddenly GRRM it but "only the new character dies every season" is making it predictable, even more so when you think Season 1 Steve was supposed to die but they like the actor too much.

Sylar

There aren't many shows where the original cast or protagonists die

GoT is the obvious one but also walking dead. But a show like this you would expect that they aren't going to kill key parts of the show with a season left

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Argyle is the Jar Jar Binks of this franchise. Hope his character is killed off minute one, scene one of Season 5.

Dante

Average bang
There aren't many shows where the original cast or protagonists die

GoT is the obvious one but also walking dead. But a show like this you would expect that they aren't going to kill key parts of the show with a season left
I don't get why people don't understand this.

Stranger Things is an homage to 80s teen adventures. It wouldn't be much of an homage if they dropped that in favour of 2010s shock death fantasies. You don't expect to see Julia Robert get run over by a bus before the end of a Rom Com.

Kopral Jono

A season that was going all so well let down by an underwhelming final episode. Guess I will still count it as a good season overall considering how good volume1 was
'Dear Billy' is comfortably the best television in recent years.

Moby

Dick
'Dear Billy' is comfortably the best television in recent years.
Definitely.

Max and Lucas overall had some great scenes. The dude who plays Lucas has improved well, although I liked him a lot along with Dustin initially as well. I can quite relate to that character as well, if I was in a group like this I'd always be that serious guy telling everyone to feck off back and never go into something like this. :lol:

Kopral Jono

Definitely.

Max and Lucas overall had some great scenes. The dude who plays Lucas has improved well, although I liked him a lot along with Dustin initially as well. I can quite relate to that character as well, if I was in a group like this I'd always be that serious guy telling everyone to feck off back and never go into something like this. :lol:
I absolutely loved every single second of it. The score, the acting, the house escape scene aided by Argyle the stoner, Hopper's failed prison escape, Nancy and Robin being impostors and of course everything with Max in it. Just brilliant.

Moby

Dick
I absolutely loved every single second of it. The score, the acting, the house escape scene aided by Argyle the stoner, Hopper's failed prison escape, Nancy and Robin being impostors and of course everything with Max in it. Just brilliant.
Oh yeah. Fantastic episode start to end.

padr81

Supports
Man City

Stranger Things is an homage to 80s teen adventures. It wouldn't be much of an homage if they dropped that in favour of 2010s shock death fantasies. You don't expect to see Julia Robert get run over by a bus before the end of a Rom Com.
The point is there's still a tension missing when you know its
only the latest side character who gets killed
. No ones asking for them to mow down characters like TWD, but its not a Julia Roberts movie either. They are setting up high stakes and supposed tense moments but they lack tension unless Steve is on screen.

The cast is getting more and more bloated, we've went from the original party of the 4 kids, 11, Hopper, Joyce, Nancy and Jonathon (so 9 core characters to) to adding Steve, Robin, Max, Murray, Erica and now Argyle (so essentially 15), its leading to things like Will sitting around scratching his arse for an entire season and lots of filler plot that doesn't really need to be there just to give the actors something to do.

It works in something like the Goonies because the core group is small, the story is relatively small. The scope and what's on the line are much bigger in Stranger Things. While it may have started out as an homage to 80's adventures in season 1 its very much a modern show with an 80's setting since they went CGI crazy and way over the top in season 2 and forward imho of course.

Sylar

The point is there's still a tension missing when you know its
only the latest side character who gets killed
. No ones asking for them to mow down characters like TWD, but its not a Julia Roberts movie either. They are setting up high stakes and supposed tense moments but they lack tension unless Steve is on screen.

The cast is getting more and more bloated, we've went from the original party of the 4 kids, 11, Hopper, Joyce, Nancy and Jonathon (so 9 core characters to) to adding Steve, Robin, Max, Murray, Erica and now Argyle (so essentially 15), its leading to things like Will sitting around scratching his arse for an entire season and lots of filler plot that doesn't really need to be there just to give the actors something to do.

It works in something like the Goonies because the core group is small, the story is relatively small. The scope and what's on the line are much bigger in Stranger Things. While it may have started out as an homage to 80's adventures in season 1 its very much a modern show with an 80's setting since they went CGI crazy and way over the top in season 2 and forward imho of course.
Adding six characters over 4 seasons is not as bad as you think it is. Especially when you have three different locations added

I assume everything will be in one location for next season now and we may see a death or two at the end.

Last edited:

phelans shorts

So what you’re saying is they should take a play out of the Mean Girls book?

A great film, I’m all for it

padr81

Supports
Man City
For me its not really about the deaths, its about the tension, I'm sure we'll lose one in the finale. Its not a show destroyer at all but its put me in a place where I watc
when the dog jumped on Hopper in Russia and its drooling on his face, there's just a lack of anxiety, same with Nancy when she was hanging.

Its not bad at all, this season as a whole has been quite good but there are no stakes in the dramatic moments at least for me. Still a fun show mind.
Theres no way certain people aren't going to get sidelined next season like Will and to an extent Mike and Jonathan were this season.

ForEverEleven

Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
As long as the show is able to make the viewer really question whether a character survives or nor not in a particular scene, I´m fine. I wasnt sure at all at the episode 4 ending if Max would survive, thats why that scene is so great without actually killing her off.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
It works in the Goonies because it's not a film where teenagers are killed on a regular basis. Nobody dies in the Goonies, it's just a really cool, feel good movie. With Stranger Things they're bringing an adult theme with a number of kids dying, yet the core group of heroes forever remain intact. There is no tension in the show because you know none of the core group of heroes will die, there are no consequences to their actions. But it's not a feel good 80's nostalgia trip because side characters die on a regular basis. It's a bizarre format.

Take the Russian storyline as an example. Two people with no military, special forces training manages to:

- Escape their bonds and fight their prisoner while in an airplane with nobody flying.
- All three of them survive a plane crash.
- Break into a secret Russian prison.
- Free their friend that's been captured and fighting a demon from a different realm.
- Escape the secret Russian prison.
- Slam through a roadblock under fire from several Russian soldiers.
- Break back into the secret Russian prison.
- Fight several demons that all the Russian soldiers managed to not be able to kill.
- Survive with no casualties.

I probably forgot some silliness. I mean honestly, it's pretty mental all things considered. I get that we aren't meant to take the show seriously because when you break the story down it's stupid as feck. But surely there needed to be a bit more consequences for them doing so much stupid shit? At this point it feels less like Stranger Things S1 and more like a crappy Comic book tv show.

Still, I enjoyed it for what it is, just switch off your brain and try not to roll your eyes too many times during an episode. Without Dustin/Steve I would not be watching let me put it that way.

Nickosaur

Season was a 6/10 for me.

If more main characters had died it would have been an easy 10

cj_sparky

Speaking of Game of Thrones.

Thanks to the rabbit hole that is youtube. I now know Eddie Munson was one of the guards who tried to stop Arya Stark on her return to Winterfell :lol:

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Are people really using the "you just don't understand!" argument about Stranger Things?

It really isn't that deep :lol:
Unreal why people seem so intent on complicating simple things.

There is complicated stuff out there folks. Possibly not on Netflix. But pop into a library.

Moby

Dick
Unreal why people seem so intent on complicating simple things.

There is complicated stuff out there folks. Possibly not on Netflix. But pop into a library.
What part of picking a book and asking the librarian to put it on your name was complicated for you? :p

Renegade

Surprised no one mentioned how ridiculous those Basket ball players were. Also how the leader was just randomly split in half when the gate opened up hahah. Blink and you’d miss kind of thing.

wr8_utd

For me its not really about the deaths, its about the tension, I'm sure we'll lose one in the finale. Its not a show destroyer at all but its put me in a place where I watc
when the dog jumped on Hopper in Russia and its drooling on his face, there's just a lack of anxiety, same with Nancy when she was hanging.

Its not bad at all, this season as a whole has been quite good but there are no stakes in the dramatic moments at least for me. Still a fun show mind.
Theres no way certain people aren't going to get sidelined next season like Will and to an extent Mike and Jonathan were this season.
I think this is the important bit. You don't need to go on a kid killing spree but for a show that has a lot of horror elements and tries to pass off as one with a lot of tension and high stakes, there is absolutely no tension involved in any of the scenes involving them because you know there's pretty much zero chance of any of them dying no matter how terrible a predicament they find themselves in. The whole Max scene at the end was utterly predictable.

Sylar

Surprised no one mentioned how ridiculous those Basket ball players were. Also how the leader was just randomly split in half when the gate opened up hahah. Blink and you’d miss kind of thing.
That part was hilarious

lsd

The Oracle

The two of them sounded like spoilt brats in that interview wanting others killed off to give them more screen time. The fact they specifically pointed to one character who has alluded in the past that Millie in particular can be difficult says a lot