Stretford End yesterday

Bosws87

The Singing section was top also, should be really lively for the next home game ;)

The fact the stewards let you stand for the whole game is miles better!

dannymc1309

The Singing section was top also, should be really lively for the next home game ;)

The fact the stewards let you stand for the whole game is miles better!
The only problem is that a lot of the "wrong type" of reds are getting hold of tickets in this section, mostly turning up and having no idea that it is standing and signing, thus diluting the section and killing what it is meant for. A fair amount of first timers stood in front of me on Friday not knowing any of the chants or even willing to join in with them once hearing them.

Changingtheories

I was in the stretty end tier 2 Friday. It was decent but nothing like a derby game or a top 4 game. Still the mood was better than I have seen for 3 years. Genuine buzz about the place now and more importantly fans are smiling after a win. Onwards and upwards.

Reactions: jojojo

RonsRocket

I was up in the east stand (near the Southampton fans) and I thought they were decent :nervous: They kept chanting 'Is this a library' at various points too
I was kind of at that same area too, at row 1 right next to the dugout (5m behind Jose :D) and the Southampton fans were pretty loud at times, allthough the Strettie end was great too.

Absolutely loved when they had a goal disallowed and cheered like crazy, only for us to cheer back at them 2 seconds later.

mark_a

I heard the "is this the library", "is there a fire drill", "saints go marching" quite a lot.

However, if the stretty was up for it I would suggest it is likely to be the microphone placement as a reason it didn't come across on my TV.

My initial thought was the fans were apprehensive due to the number of attacks the saints had. But going by what match going fans are saying it was an enjoyable day for the fans.
I have a good mate who does the sound feeds for the various companies BT, Sky etc... I know he does pitch mics and post-match interview mics. I'll ask him. Certainly when your in the Stretty and the away team scores (hopefully not now to be repeated too often) the only sound comes from the chunk of away fans in the corner, but on TV it always sounds really loud. But the same goes for United away on TV, I know we have great vocal away support but it's us from start to finish!

clarkydaz

I have a good mate who does the sound feeds for the various companies BT, Sky etc... I know he does pitch mics and post-match interview mics. I'll ask him. Certainly when your in the Stretty and the away team scores (hopefully not now to be repeated too often) the only sound comes from the chunk of away fans in the corner, but on TV it always sounds really loud. But the same goes for United away on TV, I know we have great vocal away support but it's us from start to finish!
the Europa game at Liverpool was ridiculous, the away fans were louder than the whole of Anfield singing through YAWN. Like they just miked the away end :lol:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I was in the stretty end tier 2 Friday. It was decent but nothing like a derby game or a top 4 game. Still the mood was better than I have seen for 3 years. Genuine buzz about the place now and more importantly fans are smiling after a win. Onwards and upwards.
I'd agree with that. It was a happy crowd and that's a great place to start the season.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
The only problem is that a lot of the "wrong type" of reds are getting hold of tickets in this section, mostly turning up and having no idea that it is standing and signing, thus diluting the section and killing what it is meant for. A fair amount of first timers stood in front of me on Friday not knowing any of the chants or even willing to join in with them once hearing them.
You are right that not everyone is joining in but still it is a vast improvement on what was before and generally the atmosphere is always decent in the singing section.
In fact, eventhough the Streford End will always have the romantic history, Id say that Jstand is now the best place to be in the ground for atmosphere

dannymc1309

You are right that not everyone is joining in but still it is a vast improvement on what was before and generally the atmosphere is always decent in the singing section.
In fact, eventhough the Streford End will always have the romantic history, Id say that Jstand is now the best place to be in the ground for atmosphere
I agree, and it will be very lively for the usual type of games but I just wish this could also extend to some of the lesser games. The romanticism of the SE will never die even if in theory JStand was to go on to be a massive success and this is because of a lack of knowledge about it really. For instance, on occasions when unable to attend we are rightly pressured by MUSt who set the section up to pass our tickets on to the right type of fans who will help the section, however when having to resort to sell on Facebook groups once I had one guy in particular pull out of the deal at the last minute because he said he has changed his mind and will not sit anywhere other than the SE etc

I take the home games for what they are and feel safe in the knowledge that all successful home teams will have the same issue, our away trips are something else though for atmosphere.

Changingtheories

I have noticed over the last 4 years that songs die out really quick as well. The falcao chant would last 1 or 2 times round then die. There seems to be a massive loudness for the first time round and then it goes quiet to the originators.

As a 'song pusher' the best example of this is the kickin a blue song, you always find yourself singing the fought in france bit on your own, then ppl join n and then on your own again.

SammyUnited_83

I have noticed over the last 4 years that songs die out really quick as well. The falcao chant would last 1 or 2 times round then die. There seems to be a massive loudness for the first time round and then it goes quiet to the originators.

As a 'song pusher' the best example of this is the kickin a blue song, you always find yourself singing the fought in france bit on your own, then ppl join n and then on your own again.
I tend to agree with this.

Though under Moyes when we were being hammered by Liverpool, I can vividly remember the 20 times song being constantly sung for pretty much 30 mins, even when Liverpool scored - it was truly incredible.

Backrow Singer

Has to be some perspective IMO. You'll never have a brilliant atmosphere for every home game and you won't have the entire stadium belting out chants for a sustained period too often. I enjoy the singing section and I've enjoyed the various different things we've set up over the years to provide folk with the opportunity to get involved but spreading the atmosphere around other areas of Old Trafford is very difficult. For bigger games the atmosphere will increase, especially when we are playing well, but have made progress and have created something.

Just on the Southampton game, I really enjoyed it. Friday night, new signings, it felt like it should feel. I walked into Old Trafford and had those goosebumps again scanning around the place. The sights, the smells, the views, the place still gets to me and playing on a Friday night made it even more special.

Glad the season is up and running.