Striker options?

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
We have been linked with very few names despite reports of ETH looking for a more experienced striker that can take some heat of Rasmus Hojlund. Timo Werner shouldn't really be an option, I think he is the only name mentioned.

Who is out there in say the up to 50-60m range? Some players I would have interest in are Ivan Toney, Hee-Chan Hwang and Giacomo Raspadori.

Hee-Chan Hwang is a player that I think would be a really good fit, tremendous workethic, aggressive, very loyal, smart and so forth. Can play in all forward positions. But could he be had from Wolves without him being attached an absurd transfer fee? Raspadori is small for a striker, but he partly makes up for it with his mobility. Also a smart striker that is very easy to play with. I like Toney, but its of course to some extent a matter of price.

Who else is out there?

daba

Sergio Gimenez is having another cracking season.

IRN-BRUno

Doesn't really fit the experienced criteria and they were crap sources but Nikola Krstovic was mentioned a couple of days ago. Aged 23 with 4 goals in 11 games for Lecce this season after moving from the Slovakian league.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Hwang is pretty bad, despite his recent hot streak. Look at his scoring record the last few years prior to this hot streak. Awful.

Toney, yes, but he’d cost a lot more than £50-60m

Last edited:

SamoyedSam

Supports
Notts County
Tammy Abraham would be ideal to share the load with Rasmus in my view but I suspect his injury will keep him out for too long post January. Unless Martial goes I'd be surprised if a striker was signed in January.

Loon

:lol:
I have a feeling a striker will be signed in Jan if it doesn't bollix the FFP.

Brightonian

We'll probably go for Taremi for cost
Dunno. I was in favour of him as an option in the summer (given the lack of better options) because he has consistently scored 20 goals in all comps a season, and was trending up (21, 23, 26, 31). But he's way off the pace this season. Might be we were right not to go for him.

maurinho

Supports
FC Porto
Gyokeres would be great and wouldn’t mind seeing a return of the 4-4-2 with Hojlund, but I’m sure he’ll be very expensive.

Taremi as a stop gap would be decent. I feel like his time at Porto is ending. Best for all parts if we can get 20 million for him

SER19

Taremi seems most realistic in terms of signing an experienced striker in january. He seems to know where the goal is and I believe has scored against Chelsea, Liverpool, Barcelona, and Juve in the CL. Could do worse if a decent fee and much needed extra body for 2nd half of season

didz

Part of the reason we spent so much on Hojlund is that there are so few strikers on the market. You know it's bad when even Atletico aren't playing two centre forwards.

Taremi is the obvious budget choice but, aside from the fact that we don't really do those, I'd be a bit antsy about adding an out-of-form player to an out-of-form squad. I imagine he'll probably end up in France or Italy anyway, to be honest.

I have a feeling a striker will be signed in Jan if it doesn't bollix the FFP.
In terms of UEFA's FSR rules, there shouldn't be too much problem - the squad cost rule is calculated over a calender year, rather than a season. I've no idea where we stand regarding the PL's sustainability rules, however, and I think they run July to June, or similar.

lysglimt

Scout
David has struggled a bit this season, but has been brilliant for Lille 3 seasons in a row - still only 23 as well

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Sergio Gimenez is having another cracking season.
That is a good shout! What I like about him the most is his poise on the ball in the penalty area. You’d want him to be a little stronger physically, but it would be refreshing to have someone with the poise he has on the ball who you can count on making open chances count.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Hwang is pretty bad, despite his recent hot streak. Look at his scoring record the last few years prior to this hot streak. Awful.

Toney, yes, but he’d cost a lot more than £50-60m
Just by coincidence, I’ve seen him play a lot over the years (while checking out other interesting players for the Red Bull teams). His goal scoring record isn’t great — but he has always been an impressive player who just haven’t really ever put it all together.

I don’t think he ever will become that effective poacher — but he does check a lot of boxes being very fast, agressive, team loyal, technical, strong on the ball and so forth. If he scores more goals, he wouldnt be far away from a world class striker.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Just by coincidence, I’ve seen him play a lot over the years (while checking out other interesting players for the Red Bull teams). His goal scoring record isn’t great — but he has always been an impressive player who just haven’t really ever put it all together.

I don’t think he ever will become that effective poacher — but he does check a lot of boxes being very fast, agressive, team loyal, technical, strong on the ball and so forth. If he scores more goals, he wouldnt be far away from a world class striker.
Technical is a bit of a stretch. He's passable but no more.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
That is a good shout! What I like about him the most is his poise on the ball in the penalty area. You’d want him to be a little stronger physically, but it would be refreshing to have someone with the poise he has on the ball who you can count on making open chances count.
People would be so negative due to him being from Eredivise, but I think it would
make sense. I think there was a rumour about him a while back.

Reminds me abit of RvN and I think he would be a great punt. His npxg is 0,85 per 90 min this season. Only Eredivise. But the only players I’ve that high is Huntelaar (Ajax 18/19) at 0,89, Luke de Jong (PSV 18/19, 22/23) at 0,81 and 0,80 and Haller for half a season (Ajax 20/21) at 0,81. But they where experienced players. Gimenez is 22.

antsmithmk

Hates women.
Some guy called Wout Weghorst has just banged in one for the Dutch against Ireland. If he plays for Holland he must be good. Could we get him in?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
That Czech lad at Gladbach seems to be doing well, Cvancara? Think he may have only just moved there though, but a good age for an up and coming striker.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
David has struggled a bit this season, but has been brilliant for Lille 3 seasons in a row - still only 23 as well
This kid just seems to be so hyped, scares me a bit. Fabrizio is always hyping him. Transfermarkt values him as one of the most valuable strikers in the world, worth like twice as much as Nicolas Jackson and the likes.

Just seem to be some real pump-and-dump play going on behind the scenes. He has been OK when I’ve seen him — but not more.

Honestly, how much better is he than Elanga?

Gyokeres would be great and wouldn’t mind seeing a return of the 4-4-2 with Hojlund, but I’m sure he’ll be very expensive.
I’ve seen a lot of Gyökeres since when he played in Sweden. I like him — but darn — is that all we can get? He is very one footed. His first touch is not good. Pretty limited in the build up.

Like sure, he is powerful when he gets going and has an impressive engine. And he is a good finisher with his right foot. But…

NoPace

Crystal Palace and Fulham are interested in a loan deal for RB Leipzig and Germany striker Timo Werner, 27, who has fallen out of favour at the Bundesliga club. (90min)

This probably wouldn't end up working but I sort of doubt we'll do any better with a loan in January just to get a decent striker in for depth and push back signing a proper #9 to compete/rotate with Hojlund until the summer when we have an actual director of football in the role. Big wages, so RBL might not demand a big loan fee, but for 4 months it's probably affordable.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Tammy Abraham would be ideal to share the load with Rasmus in my view but I suspect his injury will keep him out for too long post January. Unless Martial goes I'd be surprised if a striker was signed in January.
Let’s take Langstaff and see if he can cut the mustard at this level. Bit of a punt

Bobade

Crystal Palace and Fulham are interested in a loan deal for RB Leipzig and Germany striker Timo Werner, 27, who has fallen out of favour at the Bundesliga club. (90min)

This probably wouldn't end up working but I sort of doubt we'll do any better with a loan in January just to get a decent striker in for depth and push back signing a proper #9 to compete/rotate with Hojlund until the summer when we have an actual director of football in the role. Big wages, so RBL might not demand a big loan fee, but for 4 months it's probably affordable.
The only sticking point is that he is crap. Or he has been whenever I have watched him.

Lemon Moon

Stick McSauce up top until the summer. The lad thinks hes a striker at the minute, let him crack on.

SamoyedSam

Supports
Notts County
Let’s take Langstaff and see if he can cut the mustard at this level. Bit of a punt
Haha no chance but I'm dreading that someone pays his release clause in January.
Guirassy seems to be the one Newcastle want.

aeh1991

You lost me at Timo Werner and decent striker. He is not even a real striker.

tomaldinho1

Should be a profile with a different skillset to Hojlund, out and out pace/acceleration is needed up top, someone who will drop in and can dribble would be ideal. Basically Martial from seasons past without the injury issues.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Choupo is available if you ask nicely...

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Toney would be a decent choice if available in range of Gbp 40m-45m. Anything more for him would be insanity. Talks of 80m are madness for a player coming off a lengthy ban and with only 1.5 years remaining on his contract.

Watkins would be too expensive, so is a no for me.

Tammy Abraham, Johnathan David and the likes are not an option for me as they are not very good with their back towards the goal. The next striker should be a player who has good hold up and link up play. Our style of football demands that type of striker, not someone who is only good when they can find spaces to run towards the goal. If we were looking for that, I would rather stick Rashy upfront and look for a top left winger.