Striker options?

jesperjaap

It was obviously one of many mistakes in last summers transfer window not signing a second striker as there were a few good young ones that were pretty cheap.

No way we are going to be spending money on the likes of Watkins, personally hope we go for a cheaper young striker than the short term fix long term fail veterans we have done a few times.

Second striker and left back are the positions these new staff should really be focusing on for cheaper deails

Sea-Cow

I wonder if he has a reasonable release clause.
I can't find any reference to one on the interweb. I see that Fulham signed him for 8.8M in the summer of 2021 and there is a 25% sell-on clause. He is also making an annual salary what a few of our lads made in a fortnight.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
The guys who stick out as not having made a big move yet:

-Saldanha, 24 year old Brazilian at Belgrade
-Mujica, 25 year old Spaniard at Arouca which apparently is in the Portuguse league
The chance of signing either of this is less than 0 isn't it?

Not saying we shouldn't be looking far and wide but a 24 year old playing in Serbia and a 25 year old Spaniard from Portugal that hasn't made a move yet from a league known for it?

NoPace

The chance of signing either of this is less than 0 isn't it?

Not saying we shouldn't be looking far and wide but a 24 year old playing in Serbia and a 25 year old Spaniard from Portugal that hasn't made a move yet from a league known for it?
Probably not high, yeah.

But Giroud hadn't yet played in Ligue 1 at 24. Solanke's breakout season also 24. It's not crazy if the striker is a physical type, they seem to peak late, probably the same for physical CBs. Strength improves a bit 2nd half of your 20s, and that's what their game is about. But I have no idea if those guys fit the bill.

I do think it makes sense for us to spend very little of our cash on backup striker and just hope Hojlund plays 40+ games and the backup does okay, considering our litany of other needs.

Probably more likely we find someone more proven with a release clause, though, or just spend 10-15M more than fair value on a guy whose contract is expiring in a year (David, Vavlidis, En-Neysri, Calvert-Lewin). Strikers are wildly expensive now.

Last edited:

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Anyone know if Feyenoord's Gimenez can move? I know transfers from the Dutch competition haven't been working out as well as they have in decades past but guy seems to be physical enough and putting up good numbers. Also still only 22. Would surely be way cheaper than a L Martinez for instance.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I'd love for us to get someone with Martial skillset. A playmaker type of striker. It would add a different option to Hojlund, and will be useful to have both on field when chasing goals.

mexico2005

Anyone know if Feyenoord's Gimenez can move? I know transfers from the Dutch competition haven't been working out as well as they have in decades past but guy seems to be physical enough and putting up good numbers. Also still only 22. Would surely be way cheaper than a L Martinez for instance.
I am from the Netherlands and I think Gimenez is just not good enough. He is at a lot of things ok (like 7 out of 10, finishing, heading, footwork, movement) but never outstanding. In the Dutch Eredivisie he is great but so is Luuk de Jong. And we’ve seen that before with others. I also hear and read that Feyenoord would like 40 million so seek further

daba

I'd love for us to get someone with Martial skillset. A playmaker type of striker. It would add a different option to Hojlund, and will be useful to have both on field when chasing goals.
His name is Zirkzee

Walters_19_MuFc

I would like the striker we potentially get to be versatile.

In Hojlund, we have our main striker. This guy is going to be a beast, and so we need to be looking at someone who can potentially play with him if we're chasing a game, cover for him or someone who could possibly cover the wing.

Basically, someone like Alvarez at City.

From the players I know of, the best players I can think of who fit that description is:

1. Jonathan David
  2. Donyell Malen

Now, there's probably a lot more players out there who fit the profile better than the above mentioned players, but these are the players I know.

aeh1991

I would like the striker we potentially get to be versatile.

In Hojlund, we have our main striker. This guy is going to be a beast, and so we need to be looking at someone who can potentially play with him if we're chasing a game, cover for him or someone who could possibly cover the wing.

Basically, someone like Alvarez at City.

From the players I know of, the best players I can think of who fit that description is:

1. Jonathan David
  2. Donyell Malen

Now, there's probably a lot more players out there who fit the profile better than the above mentioned players, but these are the players I know.
David could be the ideal player to replace Martial.

JohnyBuckets

Get Danny Welbeck for cheap. Can cover for Hojlund who we need to get maximum game time; but we also need to give him a rest from time to time. Welbeck would press and give his all for a couple of years. Then we can sign a more expensive option once we have prioritized other areas of our squad in the next few windows. off course someone like Toney is a better stricker but it would limit how much we can spend on center mids and defence. We would probably need to prioritize a right winger also. I feel that with Hojlund/Welbeck/Rashford we have enough cover for next year.
a front three of Rashford-Hojlund-Garnacho and Antony-Welbeck-Amad is good enough considering we have bruno and mount who can also play on the wing. Then we can invest all of our funds in a starting CDM and a 6/8 Hybrid cover for Mainoo and the new CDM. Onana-Mainoo-Bruno with or Neves-Mainoo-Onana and bruno on the wing... and we could also invest in a starting CB

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
If Arsenal had him they would win the league.
For his age, the transfer fee and his playing style I have my doubt if Arteta actually wants him, given we already have Jesus, Havertz and Nketiah this season. I don't see Arteta selling Jesus or Havertz this summer at all. Let alone the beef between Toney and the Arsenal players.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
For his age, the transfer fee and his playing style I have my doubt if Arteta actually wants him, given we already have Jesus, Havertz and Nketiah this season. I don't see Arteta selling Jesus or Havertz this summer at all. Let alone the beef between Toney and the Arsenal players.
Oh I agree. But in my opinion Toney is what they lack.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Whoever it is i hope we factor in that being half decent and never getting injured is better than replacing Martial with a more than half decent striker who is made of glass. Imho anyway.

daba

Get Danny Welbeck for cheap. Can cover for Hojlund who we need to get maximum game time; but we also need to give him a rest from time to time. Welbeck would press and give his all for a couple of years. Then we can sign a more expensive option once we have prioritized other areas of our squad in the next few windows. off course someone like Toney is a better stricker but it would limit how much we can spend on center mids and defence. We would probably need to prioritize a right winger also. I feel that with Hojlund/Welbeck/Rashford we have enough cover for next year.
a front three of Rashford-Hojlund-Garnacho and Antony-Welbeck-Amad is good enough considering we have bruno and mount who can also play on the wing. Then we can invest all of our funds in a starting CDM and a 6/8 Hybrid cover for Mainoo and the new CDM. Onana-Mainoo-Bruno with or Neves-Mainoo-Onana and bruno on the wing... and we could also invest in a starting CB
I actually wouldn’t be that against Welbeck for a season if it meant we went hard on the squad in other areas. Eg. We splash out on Neves in CM, we get Frimpong in to replace AWB, we get two CBs in.

DW knows the club and I can only imagine him having a good impact around the dressing room like Evans.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Just saw a couple of people proposing bringing Welbeck back in.

That's enough internet for a bit.

aeh1991

Just saw a couple of people proposing bringing Welbeck back in.

That's enough internet for a bit.
Yea calling for Welbeck, how low have we become? We should go after Dovbyk who has a low release clause.

aeh1991

Bringing back Jonny Evans was considered a smart move. Why not Welbeck?

Playing devil's advocate
Evans was brought in as 5th CB and did an excellent job fulfilling that role when we had too many injured players. Welbeck is supposed to be the first backup to our 20 year old CF. We need someome who can be as good as Hojlund to compete. Welbeck on a free as 3rd option I wouldnt mind.

NoPace

The lad from sporting looks decent
They seem to be looking at replacements already as he'll likely move for a ton this summer (Arsenal and Milan seem to be rumoured, but would be a transfer record for Milan, though maybe they're ready to do that again after years of smaller transfers and rebuilding the squad depth or maybe Theo Hernandez to Bayern or us would pay for it?).

Feel like it's more likely we go head to head with Sporting for their favored replacement for Gyokeres, given our other needs and Hojlund doing pretty well for his age. The rumour right now online (I think I read a Sporting fan say this, maybe in this thread?) seem to be Ioannidis of Panathaikos, who started the Georgia playoff game for Greece over Pavlidis (20+ goals in Eredivisie), who I imagine would also be on our list as a plausible cheap backup striker.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
They seem to be looking at replacements already as he'll likely move for a ton this summer (Arsenal and Milan seem to be rumoured, but would be a transfer record for Milan, though maybe they're ready to do that again after years of smaller transfers and rebuilding the squad depth or maybe Theo Hernandez to Bayern or us would pay for it?).

Feel like it's more likely we go head to head with Sporting for their favored replacement for Gyokeres, given our other needs and Hojlund doing pretty well for his age. The rumour right now online (I think I read a Sporting fan say this, maybe in this thread?) seem to be Ioannidis of Panathaikos, who started the Georgia playoff game for Greece over Pavlidis (20+ goals in Eredivisie), who I imagine would also be on our list as a plausible cheap backup striker.
Viktor Gyökeres? With a contract until 2028 and a release clause of €100 million, Sporting will probably ask for Antony money!

Last edited:

NoPace

Viktor Gyökeres? With a contract until 2028 and a release clause of €100 million, Sporting will probably ask for Antony money!
Yeah, it's tough to see us doing that with Hojlund here and so many other needs elsewhere. But if Arsenal get 35M or so from some Prem team for Nketiah it seems plausible enough for their summer to be say Gyokeres and Zubimendi in for a combined 150M and Nketiah out for 35M. Would be annoying, those would seem like real upgrades that compliment their best players nicely.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Yeah, it's tough to see us doing that with Hojlund here and so many other needs elsewhere. But if Arsenal get 35M or so from some Prem team for Nketiah it seems plausible enough for their summer to be say Gyokeres and Zubimendi in for a combined 150M and Nketiah out for 35M. Would be annoying, those would seem like real upgrades that compliment their best players nicely.
I wouldn't mind Nketiah, he's a good player. Better striker than Jesus for me.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Solution is no brainer; Ivan Toney. Buy him and let him and Hojlund to fight for no9.

Money wise.......yeah, that is a big issue.

Wrecking ralf

Sporting consistently have decent players coming through. Same as Benfica. Would be in our interest to have some type of relationship with them where we could loan players to them and have first option on their sales.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I personally do not see Arteta in the market for an attacker, unless Nketiah leaves the club in summer for first team football. My guess is he may look for someone who is a right winger but versatile enough to play as striker. Havertz and Jesus will still compete for the striker/false 9 spot next season.

Doracle

It’s frustrating Bowen signed a new contract, as I think he would be too expensive now, but that’s exactly the type of player I want us to sign. Someone who can play RW and CF relatively interchangeably. Gives us extra cover across the frontline with just one signing. If we can get Greenwood and Sancho off the books then we will hopefully have reasonable money for such a player.

Valencia Shin Crosses

It’s frustrating Bowen signed a new contract, as I think he would be too expensive now, but that’s exactly the type of player I want us to sign. Someone who can play RW and CF relatively interchangeably. Gives us extra cover across the frontline with just one signing. If we can get Greenwood and Sancho off the books then we will hopefully have reasonable money for such a player.
Agree, I don't think we need another true 9 as much as we do a versatile forward that can play across the frontline. The top level strikers will cost too much and we need to spend the bulk of funds on the spine of the team.