Sturridge - Sky’s new entertainer :(

Baxquux

Daniel Sturridge to join Sky Sports as a regular pundit after delivering a masterclass on his debut

https://www.sportbible.com/football...sea-premier-league-sky-sports-038792-20230811
Clearly he's not incapable of talking about the game without lapsing into incessant bantz and bits and jibs and hooting, so either he has a sly habit on the side and took one too many bumps... or Super Sunday producers are desperately egging him to spice things up for keane reaction memes and tiktok promos.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Random thought. Has anyone ever seen any young, ex-pro pundit on Tv who impressed them? Maybe they’re all terrible and Sturridge is the best of a bad bunch?
Darren Fletcher (our one) was excellent when he was having a bit of a break from playing for medical reasons and stepped into the studio when he was about 30/31 I’d guess.

Castia

‘onion bag’ is an old footy term mate. Very old.
I’ve been watching for 30 odd years. Never heard it before in my life. What about ‘keep it funky with you boy’? sounds like a classic also

Cool, hip catchphrases and Prada clobber looks like it’s here to grace the weekly football thanks Sky you fecking morons.

Last edited:

tompo18

I’ve been watching for 30 odd years. Never heard it before in my life.

What about ‘keep it funky with you boy’? did I miss that classic quote as well?

Cool, hip catchphrases and Prada clobber look is like it’s here to grace the weekly football thanks Sky you fecking morons.
Onion Bag.

It's definitely an old football term; I remember my granda using it 40 odd years ago and my dad would still use it from time to time.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
It’s ironic that those spewing the most vitriol about there being a pundit on TV they don’t like are the most likely to be labelling others ‘snowflakes’ and ‘whiners’…

Quit bitching and suck it up. Or better yet, get funky with your boy.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Was like a CBeebies presenter. The way he was talking and putting on silly voices was a bit bizarre for a supposed professional standard of punditry. Saying that, when he actually gives his opinion he isn’t that bad in comparison to the others…but he’s clearly there for the clicks.

Mainoldo

I just knew this wasn’t going to go down well :lol:

He’s the perfect example of a class clown.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
We are talking about the player who produced this right ?

How would you actually expect he comes up with something non cringe? Unlike Owen who probably sees himself completely differently this guy fully embraces his cringeness , that's his thing in a way.
I don't buy Sturridge is that self-aware!

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
It’s ironic that those spewing the most vitriol about there being a pundit on TV they don’t like are the most likely to be labelling others ‘snowflakes’ and ‘whiners’…

Quit bitching and suck it up. Or better yet, get funky with your boy.

(Meanwhile Keano is obviously on the level)

The thing with Sturridge is I've heard a few bits and bobs where he talks about what it's like being a striker, making decisions as he's through on goal etc. That's all fine by me, but the Gen Z meets Alan Partridge act he's got going on is just very weird, and not something I want to bother with on a regular basis.

fergosaurus

I don't understand how anyone can find him to be anything other than incredibly annoying and cringe.

Prodigy24

He is just stratospheric levels of cringe.

Absolute embarrassment. Obviously perfect for Sky who are desperate for caricatures instead of pundits.
I feel sick after watching that. What a brutal way to end your playing career.

TsuWave

bunch of old men yelling at clouds in this thread.

your time is over, dinosaurs. you guys are finished.

Semigoodlookin

I can't watch the videos, too scared. Richards is ok, and it is clear he gets on with Keane and they have good banter. I won't comment on Sturridge because I didn't watch, but Sky is clearly trying to make an entertainment product that has one eye on the YouTube/Twitter/TikTok posts afterwards.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
bunch of old men yelling at clouds in this thread.

your time is over, dinosaurs. you guys are finished.
Precisely. We need more mad ladz with top bantz like the young up and coming 33 year old Sturridge. Radical, dude!

Woodzy

Richards is annoying as feck but at least it feels like he’s being genuine. I have no fecking clue what that was that I saw from Sturridge today, it felt like everything he did was to grab attention.

I’ll all for new pundits but at least give us some with some decent tactical insight as well as a bit of charisma and personality. Otherwise just feck them all off and get Ant and Dec in there

saivet

He is just stratospheric levels of cringe.

Absolute embarrassment. Obviously perfect for Sky who are desperate for caricatures instead of pundits.
Think he started these videos for the world cup and then for each CL knock out matches last season and I'll be honest...I enjoyed them :lol:

manuchamp88

Yeah.

Like @GlasgowCeltic said, if they just wanted a City pundit to balance out the United/Liverpool thing Nedum Onuoha is always interesting....but they're looking for VIRAL MOMENTS which he won't bring.

Edit - shit, forgot Micah Richards is a City pundit. Even less idea why they chose Sturridge.
Good voice, to be fair.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I suppose its a win win for sky. They get their subs and viewing numbers for actual game itself and then get their Millennials content in with the terrible after game carry on.

Not sure if it's because I have turned 40 recently, but the clips from after the game highlight my hatred for the youth of today. That's it, I'm finally old and grumpy.

I'm not even sure if Millennialsis the right term tbh, must be showing my age with that as well.
If you just turned 40 you are a millennial.

Martial

First time in ages I switched off straight after full-time. Cannot stand listening to this unfunny try-hard clown.

Might as well cancel my Sky Sports subscription if he is going to be a regular pundit,

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It's not. Millennials are old news.

It's Gen Z they're chasing now, what with their TikTok lip-synching and penchant for analingus.
They don't have the money for a Sky subscription. Sky and subscriptions alike are aimed at people over 30.