Sturridge - Sky’s new entertainer :(

Andersonson

Do the fanbase Sturridge markets himself hit a paying base? Or is it just for social media?

I would think that most 13-14 year olds couldn't afford sky

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Irks me everyone was wearing dark/black clothes and he was standing out in a white jacket. Must have been intentional from the producers of the show.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I'm ashamed to admit I actually enjoyed his little Usher snippet :nervous:

gaffs

Embarrassing.

Felt for Keano having to stand next to that clown.

I watch for some football insight. Not talk about stanky legs.

To think they got rid of legends like Geoff Shreeves and Martin Tyler and brought in this clown.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Do the fanbase Sturridge markets himself hit a paying base? Or is it just for social media?

It has to be for social media. Facebook and Instagram are constantly suggesting football "banter" pages to me and most of the posts are clips from whatever channel it is that has Kate Abdo hosting their CL coverage. Half the clips are her calling Micah Richards shit, and the other half have Jamie Carragher suggesting she's shagging Thierry Henry.

I'm not even sure that channel is available in the UK, so not surprised Sky want to get in on the act.

Withnail

Yeah but… somehow he’s the same as Micah and Sturridge…

Keane is a less tactical pundit than Micah Richards and is actually more of a click bait comment pundit than any of the others - it’s just that he does so in a way that you don’t happen to find ‘culturally challenging’.

That’s not a criticism of Keano btw, or of Sky. Just of the double standards at work here.
You're throwing around veiled and not so veiled accusations of racism around in this thread. Cop on will ya.

Sturridge is a bit of a twat, always has been. The pre and post game stuff on Sky becoming more and more of a banter vehicle. That's what irks people.

Last edited:

Withnail

Poster (with ‘88’ in their username :nervous: ) lumps Henry in with Micah and Sturridge as a pundit…

And my ‘veiled’ nods to racism are what bothers you?

Do one.
Have you watched any of the viral content he's talking about with Kate Abdo, Henry, Micah Richards, and I think Carragher as well, from their show on CBS or are you jumping to conclusions?

Last edited:

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yeah I think they’re more interested in the tactical side of football than ever
So why watch sky's panel for that? There's loads of those types of videos on YouTube. I get the feeling a lot of posters are a bit out off touch (not to say that I'm in the know either I just barely see kids watching this stuff, I never watched it as a kid it was torture I was only interested in the footie). If they're watching the panel they are probably watching to see this stuff as posters have alluded to...... and now Sky are catering to it

Poster (with ‘88’ in their username :nervous: ) lumps Henry in with Micah and Sturridge as a pundit…

And my ‘veiled’ nods to racism are what bothers you?

Do one.
I don't know who is or isn't rash, but its hardly controversial to wonder what is behind some of the excessive hand wringing.... people always get their knickers in a twist once you raise it :lol:

To be honest I reckon a lot are just reacting of the shorts and haven't bothered to see if he offers decent commentary, didn't even seem out of place to me, apart from the adlibs which I found mildly amusing. Considering he is ex Liverpool and I had a dislike for him prior due to that I actually warmed to him and his character after the singing outburst. He's still a bit much but so what? Give it time, ignore it, switch off... whatever, it's not that deep.

Last edited:

BerryBerryShrew

It needs to be said, Roy Keane is just as bad a pundit in a lot of ways. His analysis and insights into the actual game being played are more or less nonexistent. What saves him is that he has a good screen presence, bags of charisma and a good sense of humour. Literally none of which seems to apply to Sturridge, who has all the charisma of a wet fart.
Keano is definitely playing a role too. Even in his analysis, I can't imagine one of the best midfield minds of his era wouldn't be able to offer tactical insight rather than just "pashun" soundbites. He knows it's what his employers want, and they know that it is what most of the fans want (let's be honest, his "big baby" diatribe on Andy Robertson alone entertained more than a years worth of analytical insight ever could).

Even the addition of Micah as the sunshine antidote to Roy's theatrical grumpiness made a certain amount of sense because a lot of people enjoy the contrast.

The problem is that I don't think anyone wants what Sturridge is offering. It's the sort of decision made by white men who are like Homer Simpson when he steps onto the stage of the U2 concert ("I'd be the most whack, tricked-out sanitation commissioner ever! Can you dig it?!").

hobbers

Pre and post match on sky is about 70% adverts, 25% "talk us through" the goal/incident/var decision and 5% staged arguments/moronic antics for clicks.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Yeah but… somehow he’s the same as Micah and Sturridge…

Keane is a less tactical pundit than Micah Richards and is actually more of a click bait comment pundit than any of the others - it’s just that he does so in a way that you don’t happen to find ‘culturally challenging’.

That’s not a criticism of Keano btw, or of Sky. Just of the double standards at work here.
How about you just call everyone who doesn't like Sturridge a racist and be done with it since it's so obviously the thrust of your posts in this thread

Hoof the ball

That was so bad.

It seems to me like they've clicked onto Oozing Expressions on youtube, seen his popularity and gone, "Something like that, but on Sky Sports."
To be honest, I'd rather they went with Expressions if that was the case!

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Inappropriate accusations.
Edit: Reported instead. Feck that.
Or you could just explain what similarity you see between Henry’s punditry and Sturridge’s.

And regarding your username - in today’s climate, you can expect more people to rightly question it if you’re also gonna be making idiotic racial generations.

I’m sorry if being questioned on it is that much of a problem for you, maybe change it if you’re that offended by people simply pointing it out?

Joel Miller

He doesn’t exactly strike me as being he most charismatic of ex players. He should definitely had some good insight into the mentality of players and what it’s like to not actually want to play football.

Withnail

Or you could just explain what similarity you see between Henry’s punditry and Sturridge’s.

And regarding your username - in today’s climate, you can expect more people to rightly question it if you’re also gonna be making idiotic racial generations.

I’m sorry if being questioned on it is that much of a problem for you, maybe change it if you’re that offended by people simply pointing it out?
The man is clearly born in 88. You're either quite mad or a very poor wum. By all means also continue to ignore my post which explains the reference to 'Abdo, Henry, Richards etc'

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The Micah/Keane bromance was a happy accident, this seems quite contrived and awkward
Micah is fine. He's insightful at times and up for a laugh that is actually entertaining. If anything Keano is the one that annoys me because, for a guy with a lot of charisma back in the day, he seems to have left it at home

The folk who think that Sturridge is funny, and I'm just an old codger for not understanding his brand of top bantz mad ladz Tiktok era look-at-me dipshit cringe humour, are frankly idiots who are completely wrong about everything in their shit lives especially when it comes to entertainment. Because they have the attention spans of a wet spoon, their idea of humour is pointless 30 second videos with flashing lights that contain morons driving through McDonald's staff areas on a scooter touching everything and escaping before the police turn up. And they enjoy it because they're fecking morons as well who live in a fantasy world where you don't need to use your brain in any worldly situation.

And before anyone asks if I'm being serious, everything I've said is backed up by fecking science that I have personally carried out using a TV remote and some paint thinner, so naff off.

ThanksBoss26

Damn right, the coverage for the Cricket and for the Golf are absolutely mint. Love hearing the commentators and pundits for those whereas football you could honestly just watch on mute and be better for it.
I actually do that as well! Initially as I couldn’t do with the fake crowd noise during covid but now can’t stand listening to the utter nonsense they come out with like you say.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

While it can have unpleasant connotations, it's still just a number. You're going to need more evidence to start calling people racists.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Insulting another member

What an utter gimp you are.

Danger5

The problem I have with Sturridge, staying away from the needless and baseless accusations from some, is that he simply isn't a good pundit... barely a pundit at all actually. He didn't offer any insight on the day and I agree on the unfortunate trend of the analysis of games becoming increasingly weighed down by 'banter'. Micah Richards is little better in that regard, only some charisma and chemistry with actual insightful pundits like Keane (who is carrying the show at this point) saving him somewhat. I expect it'll become more tiresome as the season develops though, especially if we're going to see him bouncing a lot more off Sturridge's antics.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now, but the omens are not encouraging if that is his shtick for starters. The fact Sky Sports have creamed the idiotic banter and dances all over their YouTube shorts is another worrying sign.

I feel like Principal Skinner at this point... "Am I out of touch"... "No, it's the children who are wrong" :(

The-Mezzala

I think even most teenagers would find this guy unbearable. Going to be a long season with him and “Big Meeks” providing the banter. Also Dalgleish daughter is as unlikeable as her dad which is a tall order. Sky bar Neville and Keane is utter garbage now

philnguyen1994

What happened to him? Sky was hyping him so much, fully expected him to be a regular then he just vanished … Haven't been seen for months.

Did they bin him because of the complaints of him being pure cringe? Or did Keano murder him?

Loon

:lol:
What happened to him? Sky was hyping him so much, fully expected him to be a regular then he just vanished … Haven't been seen for months.

Did they bin him because of the complaints of him being pure cringe? Or did Keano murder him?
I remember Jonathan Pearce was binned by Sky almost immediately many years ago.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
If his replacement is wooden Walcott it isn't much better.

Withnail

Arrest warrant is issued for ex-Liverpool star Daniel Sturridge after failing to appear in Los Angeles court over $30,000 reward allegedly owed to man who found his missing dog in 2019

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ward-allegedly-owed-man-missing-dog-2019.html
Aside from the hideous dog, can you really get arrested for something like this? I didn't think you'd have any comeback in a promised reward situation.

I'd also be suspicious of anyone claiming to have 'found' my stolen dog.

lifted

Aside from the hideous dog, can you really get arrested for something like this? I didn't think you'd have any comeback in a promised reward situation.

I'd also be suspicious of anyone claiming to have 'found' my stolen dog.
If you read the article it says that a civil court ordered him to pay $24k in 2021, which he hasn't done. That's why there is an arrest warrant.

Pickle85

You have to be a real shit to welch on that tbf. If someone found my dog I'd definitely pony up.