Style of play - U18 vs First Team (indication of future success?)

Marcus

For those who have watched our victorious U18 team play consistently, are they set up in terms of formation and tactics like United's (best transition team in the world with high pressing with gaps in midfield) first team or differently?

I ask because if the U18s are set up in the same way, then this could indicated that EtH is on to something in terms of what he is trying to achieve. That there is success to be had if the correct personnel are available (bearing in mind that football standards are vastly different in U18s).

A related question is whether EtH has had any inputs to how the U18 are playing so as to be ready to seamlessly transition into playing for the first team.

I ask this because while I am EtH out, I don't want to throw the babv out with the bathwater if in fact he has implemented his mad style successfully at U18s and we will reap future benefits if we let him stay the course.

Marcus

It appears from some video I found that we play 4231 at U18 level? So not even mirroring how the first team has been playing for the majority of the season. Sigh

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
It appears from some video I found that we play 4231 at U18 level? So not even mirroring how the first team has been playing for the majority of the season. Sigh
The first team also plays 4-2-3-1. With a 6 that sits back, with 3 behind him, whilst the 8, fullback and the front 4 press when out of position. So am here wondering how anyone thinks they set up differently to the first team.

Marcus

The first team also plays 4-2-3-1. With a 6 that sits back, with 3 behind him, whilst the 8, fullback and the front 4 press when out of position. So am here wondering how anyone thinks they set up differently to the first team.
OK if they play the same way and set up the same, should we give EtH the benefit of the doubt since success can actually be had with his style of play? Do the U18 also leave massive gaps in midfield and just don't get punished because of lower level of opposition?

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
OK if they play the same way and set up the same, should we give EtH the benefit of the doubt since success can actually be had with his style of play?
We should. Because the under 18s show what we know. A system without the plagues of constant change at the back and no legs jn defensive midfield doesnt leave constant gaping holes in center midfield playing that way. But most people just don't care at this point due to the pain of results and would rather him gone

Do the U18 also leave massive gaps in midfield and just don't get punished because of lower level of opposition?
I'd day no for two reasons 1:
1. The gaps are not as gaping as with the first team this season. Since there is continuity in the understanding of the defence and two starting midfielders. They thus control the space between them and the pressing 6 very well. Their man to man marking scheme in midfield thus works far better in tandem with the defence line.

2. When they do appear. It's by design. Its part of "the system trap". It baits the opposition into trying to attack the gap. If the rest defence works like its supposed to. The attack of the opposition gets caught between the rest defence and the front 6 retreating in a pressing format. Forcing that counter attack wide and eventually into a possesion turn over. When ETH was coach Ajax some of their most memorable victories like away at the Bernabeu did that regular.

Truth be told its not any easy system to implement or master. It also heavily relies on relationships, understanding and specific strength of personnel. That's why injury wrecks utter disaster to its function as we've witnessed all season with the first team.

saik

OK if they play the same way and set up the same, should we give EtH the benefit of the doubt since success can actually be had with his style of play? Do the U18 also leave massive gaps in midfield and just don't get punished because of lower level of opposition?
From what I have seen of the u-18s they play the same way. We are very aggressive, press high up to win possession back. The difference, as the other poster pointed out, is the continuity of the players, everyone knows what their role is and more importantly can win their individual duels.

My opinion is, the senior team suffers from not having the defense high up the pitch (so you see these huge gaps) as none of them have the recovery pace to deal with high balls if they are beaten. So I think ETH is taking the chance by allowing opposition to have pots shots from outside the box rather than allowing them to have one on ones with the GK.

This also depends on the front six pressing traps as that requires all of them to be on the same page. Rashford and McT are terrible at this as they have no tactical nous of where to be when we don't have the ball. Rashford especially is terrible at pressing as he doesn't apply any pressure and basically just jogs towards the opposition player. Mount can be a good player in the system as he appears to be a very smart player but it's a shame he has been injured so often.

Marcus

Hmmm. Ok so if the U18 are a sign of brighter things to come and that EtH's methods do work, but requires good understanding which is lost through injuries (perhaps more than other systems) then I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. But our recruitment will need to be spot on to cope with such a fragile system.