Gaming Subnautica (PC, Mac, PS4, Xbox One)

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
How is there no thread on this?

It's on Game Pass so thought I'd give it a go considering how well regarded it is.

My thoughts so far are that it's fecking annoying dying. Especially running out of oxygen.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
My youngest loves it. I'm yet to play it properly, but got it free on the Epic store. He keeps badgering me though, so I will give it a go, I'm just on Tarkov at the moment and one frustrating learning curve at a time!

Side note: even though the Epic store is shite, I'd much rather that than on the Gamepass for PC. It's an absolute joke how terrible that is, for a software company MS are so bad at it.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
It's a great game. Soon you can improve and endure more time underwater, to later build the Seamoth and the submarine.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It's a great game. Soon you can improve and endure more time underwater, to later build the Seamoth and the submarine.
I don’t know what the shit I’m doing to be honest and I’ve only made it back to the pod once. Either been attacked or not had enough time to swim up. Presumably I’m meant to stay pretty close to the pod at the mo. I’m getting warnings that something is gonna detonate. No idea what to do about it.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I don’t know what the shit I’m doing to be honest and I’ve only made it back to the pod once. Either been attacked or not had enough time to swim up. Presumably I’m meant to stay pretty close to the pod at the mo. I’m getting warnings that something is gonna detonate. No idea what to do about it.
Near the capsule where you are you should find minerals to build and improve things, including the radio, which will guide you to the remains of other capsules where you will find more improvements.
What will explode is the big ship. You will have to go there before or after, and enter inside.
Keep in mind that there are several game modes. In one of them you have to be aware of food and drink, I do not play in that way because it seems very tiresome.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Near the capsule where you are you should find minerals to build and improve things, including the radio, which will guide you to the remains of other capsules where you will find more improvements.
What will explode is the big ship. You will have to go there before or after, and enter inside.
Keep in mind that there are several game modes. In one of them you have to be aware of food and drink, I do not play in that way because it seems very tiresome.
Yeah I’m regretting choosing survival mode to be honest. I might restart, bin that off and get to the ship quicker. There’s a big nasty monster swimming round there though.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah I’m regretting choosing survival mode to be honest. I might restart, bin that off and get to the ship quicker. There’s a big nasty monster swimming round there though.
Yes, I would recommend you starting again, and reading a bit about the game to save yourself having to restart it again.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
My youngest loves it. I'm yet to play it properly, but got it free on the Epic store. He keeps badgering me though, so I will give it a go, I'm just on Tarkov at the moment and one frustrating learning curve at a time!

Side note: even though the Epic store is shite, I'd much rather that than on the Gamepass for PC. It's an absolute joke how terrible that is, for a software company MS are so bad at it.
I don’t mind paying £1 for Outer Worlds and Forza Horizon 4 on Pc tbh. I ran into the glitch where the Game Pass app doesn’t work at all but it just means downloading games and launching them from the Windows store which is fine albeit annoying.

Forza on PC though is beautiful as is Outer Worlds so it could be worse.

Going to try this next.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I don’t mind paying £1 for Outer Worlds and Forza Horizon 4 on Pc tbh. I ran into the glitch where the Game Pass app doesn’t work at all but it just means downloading games and launching them from the Windows store which is fine albeit annoying.

Forza on PC though is beautiful as is Outer Worlds so it could be worse.

Going to try this next.
When it works it's passable at best.

But when it doesn't, the layers and support you have to go through are ridiculous. Especially when it's a windows update that fecks it. And let's not get started on the xbox companion app as a whole, my god I feel bad for xbox owners. The UI is absolutely woeful.

Still, like a mug, I still have it :lol:

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
How is there no thread on this?

It's on Game Pass so thought I'd give it a go considering how well regarded it is.

My thoughts so far are that it's fecking annoying dying. Especially running out of oxygen.
I love it, the atmosphere of being lost on that planet is great, if you focus on the storyline, it is not too difficult but still challenging.
Keralis did a lets play which absolutly rocks:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
How are you getting on with it now?
Better. I've made most of the first tools, fins, and an oxygen tank. Habitat builder next. I've found the copper/silver I need but it's just out of my depth in a cave. I can get it but then die near the surface every time. Gonna have to look somewhere else. Or build the better tank.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Finding sometimes the landscape isn't loading for ages when I start swimming out far. It just loaded around me and trapped me inside a cave.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It properly gets good once you start base building. I've built an unreal lair on the edge of a cliff. Pretty much just been concentrating on that!

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
It properly gets good once you start base building. I've built an unreal lair on the edge of a cliff. Pretty much just been concentrating on that!
yeah, it is one of those games where at the start you kind of think ‘huh? What’s all the fuss about?’ But then after a certain point ‘aaaaaah yeah, this is great.’

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Right well I'm fully addicted. My base is looking sick. Will get a pic up later. Scanner rooms are a game changer.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Not to hijack this thread, but @VeevaVee have you tried The Long Dark?

Not quite the same, but the reason I ask is a lot of TLD players in the Steam forums rave about how great Subnautica is.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid

Not quite the same, but the reason I ask is a lot of TLD players in the Steam forums rave about how great Subnautica is.
Would you recommend it? After playing Subnautica I was looking for something "similar" and I think that The forest and the long dark might be nice

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

Nah I've not but I did see it mentioned when I searched for something. Might check it out. I'm a big fan of base building though and I don't think that has it?

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Would you recommend it? After playing Subnautica I was looking for something "similar" and I think that The forest and the long dark might be nice
It's my most played Steam game, I've wasted 500 hours of my life on it over the past 3 years. Definitely would recommend it.

I don't normally like survival type games, but this one's different. First of all, it's more realistic. No zombies, no cryptids. It's simply man vs nature. Your plane has crashed on a huge, remote Canadian island that has been abandoned since the 90s, and in the brutal winter - now go survive. You may start off in the mountains and be completely screwed within 5 hours from frostbite and hypothermia, or you'll get lucky and happen across a log cabin with some warm clothes and a fireplace. There are lots of locations, ranging from rural/forest/mountains to semi built up areas, the odd abandoned town, even a tourist lake surrounded by abandoned holiday chalets. I could go on for ages, but in a nutshell - it's one of the most engaging games I've ever played. I only play the Sandbox, and it's single player only. There is a story mode in the works, but it's a bit pants.

Nah I've not but I did see it mentioned when I searched for something. Might check it out. I'm a big fan of base building though and I don't think that has it?
No base building in terms of actually building structures/walls etc. You look for existing shelters, just anywhere to keep out of the weather - like caves, houses, or even mines, fishing huts, cars and trucks, there's even a half sunken ship stuck in the ice on rocks. You choose to stock up those bases as you please, with clothing, food supplies, etc, but you can't modify their structure. Subnautica has it beat in that sense.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
It's my most played Steam game, I've wasted 500 hours of my life on it over the past 3 years. Definitely would recommend it.

I don't normally like survival type games, but this one's different. First of all, it's more realistic. No zombies, no cryptids. It's simply man vs nature. Your plane has crashed on a huge, remote Canadian island that has been abandoned since the 90s, and in the brutal winter - now go survive. You may start off in the mountains and be completely screwed within 5 hours from frostbite and hypothermia, or you'll get lucky and happen across a log cabin with some warm clothes and a fireplace. There are lots of locations, ranging from rural/forest/mountains to semi built up areas, the odd abandoned town, even a tourist lake surrounded by abandoned holiday chalets. I could go on for ages, but in a nutshell - it's one of the most engaging games I've ever played. I only play the Sandbox, and it's single player only. There is a story mode in the works, but it's a bit pants.
Your enthusiasm has convinced me, thank you, I think It will be the next game I´ll play as soon as I get tired of the game that currently has me hooked.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Your enthusiasm has convinced me, thank you, I think It will be the next game I´ll play as soon as I get tired of the game that currently has me hooked.
I hope you'll enjoy it, if you're on PC, you can pick up the Steam CD key for about €15 at G2A, or wait for it to go on Steam Sale. I think the normal asking price of €30 is expensive.

Also, I strongly recommend playing several hours in Sandbox first. The story mode is just an afterthought, it's linear and incomplete. Sandbox is where it's at ;) good luck!

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
So I pissed about for so long purely concentrating on building my base and expanding my empire, that I no longer know how to continue the story. Any tips? :lol:

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
So I pissed about for so long purely concentrating on building my base and expanding my empire, that I no longer know how to continue the story. Any tips? :lol:
did you go to the ship, to the islands?, did you find the alien base? Do you have a submarine?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
did you go to the ship, to the islands?, did you find the alien base? Do you have a submarine?
I've been to the ship. I fecked up a bit because I couldn't be arsed going multiple times so I looked up the codes as I only had one, and went in the captain's room which is obviously not somewhere you're meant to go yet. Other than that I'm glad I looked up the others to be honest.
Been to the island but wasn't sent there by the story. I just found it. Also made a super deep (for me so far) outpost near here. Spooky place under the water.
If by base you mean the big gun thing? I've been there with the story.
Not got a submarine yet.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I've been to the ship. I fecked up a bit because I could be arsed going multiple times so I looked up the codes as I only had one, and went in the captain's room which is obviously not somewhere you're meant to go yet. Other than that I'm glad I looked up the others to be honest.
Been to the island but wasn't sent there by the story. I just found it. Also made a super deep (for me so far) outpost near here. Spooky place under the water.
If by base you mean the big gun thing? I've been there with the story.
Not got a submarine yet.
With base I mean a very large structure under one of the islands, but I really don't know if it helps you to complete the story.
Actually I almost never complete the games. My priority was to wander with the submarine and go as low as possible.
Maybe you miss a radio message

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
With base I mean a very large structure under one of the islands, but I really don't know if it helps you to complete the story.
Actually I almost never complete the games. My priority was to wander with the submarine and go as low as possible.
Maybe you miss a radio message
I've had loads of radio messages directing me to crashed pods actually, but there doesn't seem to be much at the ones I've visited. I've not visited that base but I think I've been near it. Possibly need to be able to go deeper first. I can only get to 200m in the Seamoth + another 100m ish with the glide (quickly).

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Not been playing as much. I built a PRAWN but it seems pretty pointless without modifications and the submarine to get the fecker about. Feels like it'd take forever to get anyway useful on its own. Need to find submarine bits (and moonpool while I'm at it).