Gaming Subnautica (PC, Mac, PS4, Xbox One)

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
How have I missed this game for so long, it's bloody brilliant. They should really develop a VR version though, would be the greatest VR game by a longshot. Too bad the PSVR can't handle it.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Giving this a try. Controls are a bit iffy, no? If I want to sort of move over something whilst looking down it just makes me go down instead. Surely should have some sort of descend and ascend buttons?

hubbuh

Any advice for new starters? Played for about 20 minutes the other day and just sort of paddled around.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Any advice for new starters? Played for about 20 minutes the other day and just sort of paddled around.
Explore methodically and make mental notes about where and from what you can get specific resources. I remember being really frustrated at the start because I couldn’t find what I needed to get more drinking water. There was one thing I had never bothered harvesting that was holding me up.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I did the mode that didn’t require drinking water, after reading up on Reddit. The consensus seemed to be it’s a pain in the ass at first then irrelevant later on, so it sounded like it was just an annoyance.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
How have I missed this game for so long, it's bloody brilliant. They should really develop a VR version though, would be the greatest VR game by a longshot. Too bad the PSVR can't handle it.
Think I’d rather have an online version where you can explore with your mates and each have bases or build one for all of you. Not to say we couldn’t have both!

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Think I’d rather have an online version where you can explore with your mates and each have bases or build one for all of you. Not to say we couldn’t have both!
Ah yeah, that would also be great. The sense of wonder in this game is great. Dying and losing all yer stuff sucks though :(

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Giving this a try. Controls are a bit iffy, no? If I want to sort of move over something whilst looking down it just makes me go down instead. Surely should have some sort of descend and ascend buttons?
I have discovered the descend and ascend buttons.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Decided I hate this. Feels clunky, it’s way too hard work storing things and having to eat and drink (I know you can play without that). I just tried to investigate the main ship and had all these spider things jumping on me and all I’ve got is a knife that my guy swings very slowly. Tried to find a different area of the ship and saw somewhere I could surface within it but nope the game doesn’t seem to let me go those last few metres and I just drown. Not arsed now. There’s a reason people hate water levels.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Decided I hate this. Feels clunky, it’s way too hard work storing things and having to eat and drink (I know you can play without that). I just tried to investigate the main ship and had all these spider things jumping on me and all I’ve got is a knife that my guy swings very slowly. Tried to find a different area of the ship and saw somewhere I could surface within it but nope the game doesn’t seem to let me go those last few metres and I just drown. Not arsed now. There’s a reason people hate water levels.
You can build a gun thing that throws the spider bastards miles. I enjoyed it because I enjoy base building and the exploring was kinda cool too.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Finally completed it. Absolutely incredible game - one of the best games of this generation for me and the only survival horror game I've loved.

The lack of guidance can be frustrating and the game can be logistically punishing at times (survival mode), but my word it is one special experience. Had to resort to google/youtube at times, and I nearly gave up towards the end, but I pushed through and am glad I did. Looking forward to playing Below Zero soon.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Finally completed it. Absolutely incredible game - one of the best games of this generation for me and the only survival horror game I've loved.

The lack of guidance can be frustrating and the game can be logistically punishing at times (survival mode), but my word it is one special experience. Had to resort to google/youtube at times, and I nearly gave up towards the end, but I pushed through and am glad I did. Looking forward to playing Below Zero soon.
Agree with you on most of this. Below Zero looks really promising, it’s high on my to-do list.