Suggestion: Tweets only | Implemented - all feedback here please

MJJ

The tweets only rule in the twitter thread is one of the most absurd rules that I have seen enforced here. The point of a forum is to discuss and ofcourse people are going to react to a tweet. If you allow no reactions, then whats the point of posting the tweet in one thread.

Personally I thought it worked fine before, one tweet and small reaction to it. Otherwise just locked the thread, allowing only a few to post tweets in it.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Every time there's a bump, people want tweets, not reactions to them.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
The problem is, you always end up getting someone bumping the thread 2 hours later with their "immediate reaction".

Member 60376

One mod is saying tweets only, another is saying you can post a short reaction. Which is it?
He has clarified it already

Look at it this way - we don't want long discussions in the Twitter thread. That's why Tweets Only is in the thread title. Its unrealistic to not have any comments whatsoever, so one line (Twitter length) reactions to the tweets is allowed. Obviously anyone abusing it by getting into longer chats may risk a thread ban given the amount of warnings that have been issued.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Said in another thread that two threads would probably be easier, no? One sticky thread that only staff can post in and another one where discussion is allowed.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
One mod is saying tweets only, another is saying you can post a short reaction. Which is it?
I'm perma banned from the thread for "discussion" despite some mods saying you can discuss and three or four Mods using it for discussion themselves.

It's the twatter thread so I'm really not fussed but you've got to laugh.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
it's not actually that hard though is it? you read a tweet in the thread about Mata so go and discuss it in the thread about Mata. most tweets are bollocks anyway

Member 60376

That's one person though. GB is saying Tweets only!
I think a one liner reaction would be ok - but if that one liner is a single ' :lol: ' it might not be

That is just my thinking though and is probably wrong

Steven Seagull

The most annoying thing about posting tweets and news is people not checking it out beforehand. It will either be a fake account, an old tweet from weeks ago or some ITK wanker with 13 followers. Just spend 10 seconds checking the details before you post it, and if you feck it up you're banned for a day. This modding is easy

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The most annoying thing about posting tweets and news is people not checking it out beforehand. It will either be a fake account, an old tweet from weeks ago or some ITK wanker with 13 followers. Just spend 10 seconds checking the details before you post it, and if you feck it up you're banned for a day. This modding is easy
That's the nature of Twitter though. If we waited for so called legitimate tweets by official sources, the thread would be quite bare. Its the mix of good, bad, funny, rubbish tweets that give the thread a bit of contrast.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
it's not actually that hard though is it? you read a tweet in the thread about Mata so go and discuss it in the thread about Mata. most tweets are bollocks anyway
Surely that would just pollute the normal threads though? Which is probably what the twitter thread should be preventing.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter what the rules are if they're consistent. Seems that some mods are stricter than others though.

acnumber9

Maybe it would be easier if people put a link to the player thread along with a tweet?

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Maybe it would be easier if people put a link to the player thread along with a tweet?
Not really considering the whole purpose of the Twitter thread is to keep Tweets out of the other threads as they are generally bollocks and not worth discussing.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
That's the point I was making though, if you want to discuss the Mata Twat in the Mata Thread, you have to quote the Twat, making the Twatter Thread redundant.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
@Raoul

I said it before in another thread, the only way it will work without any sort of problem is to have two threads.

Thread 1: Discussion allowed alongside the posting of any tweets people feel relevant.

Thread 2: Locked to Joe Public, updated by all the mods who can pick out interesting, informative or entertaining Tweets from that thread. People can use this thread as their news ticker if they so wish and it can all be discussed (shock horror) in the above thread...

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
That's the point I was making though, if you want to discuss the Mata Twat in the Mata Thread, you have to quote the Twat, making the Twatter Thread redundant.
That's just it though, The twitter thread is literally for speculation and gossip, surely? especially as most tweeters know nothing at all. And the player threads in the transfer forum are for actually discussingcdefinate or possible transfers, where the player will fit in at his new club etc

acnumber9

Not really considering the whole purpose of the Twitter thread is to keep Tweets out of the other threads as they are generally bollocks and not worth discussing.
I didn't mean post a tweet in the player thread. I mean post the tweet in the right thread and then a link to the appropriate discussion thread underneath.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I didn't mean post a tweet in the player thread. I mean post the tweet in the right thread and then a link to the appropriate discussion thread underneath.
But you'll still be discussing something that has been derived from Twitter. Not really something you want spilling over into the Football forums if you can help it.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
And how do you think the posters who disapprove of Twitter and ITK's will react when the tweets are carried over to the player thread?

The Twitter thread should be used to bring latest developments, then some brief discussion and once a mod feels that there's been enough discussion and posters are going round in circles then they can tell the rest of the posters that and then threadban those who carry on.

There's no chance of people posting a tweet and everybody withholding their excitement etc and thus the thread becomes silent until the next tweet is posted, but at the same time it shouldn't be pages and pages of people making Mata puns and putting in formations about where he'll fit in the team.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
@Raoul

I said it before in another thread, the only way it will work without any sort of problem is to have two threads.

Thread 1: Discussion allowed alongside the posting of any tweets people feel relevant.

Thread 2: Locked to Joe Public, updated by all the mods who can pick out interesting, informative or entertaining Tweets from that thread. People can use this thread as their news ticker if they so wish and it can all be discussed (shock horror) in the above thread...
Agree with this. It would probably mean less work for the staff as they wouldn't have to police the discussion thread. It would also stop twitter nonsense leaking into proper threads, which is surely the whole point?

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
The tweets only rule in the twitter thread is one of the most absurd rules that I have seen enforced here. The point of a forum is to discuss and ofcourse people are going to react to a tweet. If you allow no reactions, then whats the point of posting the tweet in one thread.

Personally I thought it worked fine before, one tweet and small reaction to it. Otherwise just locked the thread, allowing only a few to post tweets in it.
Not absurd at all. It's the twitter thread. We want twitter updates. Not people commenting on an update on Rooney or whatever when he has his own thread.

I think in this whole forum, the most infuriating I have felt is when a mod QUITE CLEARLY states to not comment, and then you see a long conversation between 2/3/4 people about the tweet.

I just don't understand. I refuse to use the word "retarded" usually because it's not nice at all, but in this case I really do consider it.

If a tweet is about, say, Carrick putting in a transfer request - you can plop it in the twitter thread and then go to the Carrick thread and say "Carrick has apparently issued a transfer request". It's not that difficult.

That, and posting indykalia stuff are the worst kind of people on this forum.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
In the newbies, they have two threads: one for discussion along with tweets, and another with tweets only and it doesn't work that well in my opinion. Most of the tweets aren't actually posted in the tweets only thread and there's still a bit of discussion in there despite the title saying tweets only, while in the twitter thread itself, it's utterly awful with pages and pages and pages of discussion with a few tweets every five or so pages (there's over 1,000 pages in the twitter thread with it being created in 2011). It's awful and wouldn't like to see it replicated up here. Current system works fine in my opinion, but just allow a few brief comments after each tweet and not have a complete ban on comments in the thread.

NinjaFletch

tweet 10 minute window for discussion and then any discussion posts after that would equal thread ban would work

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
In the newbies, they have two threads: one for discussion along with tweets, and another with tweets only and it doesn't work that well in my opinion. Most of the tweets aren't actually posted in the tweets only thread and there's still a bit of discussion in there despite the title saying tweets only, while in the twitter thread itself, it's utterly awful with pages and pages and pages of discussion with a few tweets every five or so pages (there's over 1,000 pages in the twitter thread with it being created in 2011). It's awful and wouldn't like to see it replicated up here. Current system works fine in my opinion, but just allow a few brief comments after each tweet and not have a complete ban on comments in the thread.
Is the Tweet only thread locked and managed by the mods or is it open and anyone allowed to post what they like...?

Damien

Staff
Is the Tweet only thread locked and managed by the mods or is it open and anyone allowed to post what they like...?

It's open but hardly used by anyone. I know what you're saying, but I still think it's not a good idea. It'll just result in the current twitter thread getting out of control with comments.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Two threads will be a bit redundant and impractical to manage. Its easier to take the discussions to the appropriate player thread or if one doesn't exist, create one in either the Transfers or Footy.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I've said previously what Colin is saying. If you try complying with the rules and discuss the news in the relevant player thread, you just get people coming along every few hours wondering what everyone is talking about and everyone having to repost the tweet again anyway.

Most tweets don't warrant a discussion in an existing thread or a new thread creating. Even though it might not work in the newbies, two twitter threads might be a solution. That way, those that get pissed off by the endless discussions know which thread to head to, and vice versa.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
tweet 10 minute window for discussion and then any discussion posts after that would equal thread ban would work
Yeah or rather than a time, if a mod posts "NO MORE DISCUSSION REGARDING ____ TWEET" etc and then after that threadbans.

Damien

Staff
I'm perma banned from the thread for "discussion" despite some mods saying you can discuss and three or four Mods using it for discussion themselves.

It's the twatter thread so I'm really not fussed but you've got to laugh.
What exactly did you say in the twitter thread? I'm guessing there's some sort of confusion with how to handle thread bans in the forum. I'm of the view that any threadbans in there should be on a sliding scale, short ban and if repeat occurrences then to increase the ban until it gets to the point where you know they don't listen and it should be permanent. Others may think differently.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I've said previously what Colin is saying. If you try complying with the rules and discuss the news in the relevant player thread, you just get people coming along every few hours wondering what everyone is talking about and everyone having to repost the tweet again anyway.

Most tweets don't warrant a discussion in an existing thread or a new thread creating. Even though it might not work in the newbies, two twitter threads might be a solution. That way, those that get pissed off by the endless discussions know which thread to head to, and vice versa.
Not all Tweets have corresponding discussion threads though. Some tweets aren't about players, but instead about breaking stories (such as Rossel stepping down due to the Neymar sale scandal).

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
basically, just post tweets or accept someone (relevated) will uzi up places in your childhood that you cherished.