Film Suicide Squad (2016)

muller

Shit movie.

Margot Robbie is fudging beautiful.

There will Ben a film where there's her and Gal Gadot in it and it might be an all time favourite. No matter how shit.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It is properly shite. Just saw Batman v Superman on Sky last night and that was horrid too. I don't think I've enjoyed a superhero flick since the Nolan trilogy. And for some reason there's so fecking many. Why?

Last edited:

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
It is properly shite. Just saw Batman v Superman on Sky last night and that was horrid too. I don't think I've enjoyed a superhero (or even flick since the Nolan trilogy. And for some reason there's so fecking many. Why?
Guaranteed monies.

muller

Meh, I like the Marvel films.

I'm looking forward to Wonder Woman too.

Sylar

Wonder Woman is very well-known, but is she particularly popular? Currently, I'd guess that Harley Quinn trumps all female comic characters, by a distance. A film with HQ as the lead would totally kill it. It would probably be godawful too.
TBH, it only seems like HQ got popular in recent years. WW is defo popular.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
TBH, it only seems like HQ got popular in recent years. WW is defo popular.
Oh definitely. It's a recent boom in popularity. I'd say Arkham Asylum was what kickstarted it. But she is incredibly popular now.

I've really not heard much buzz for Wonder Woman in comic book circles for a long time. Her name and imagery is very iconic, but I've not seen very many cases of people actually getting excited about the character and her appearances. Is a WW film/series due?

Sylar

Oh definitely. It's a recent boom in popularity. I'd say Arkham Asylum was what kickstarted it. But she is incredibly popular now.

I've really not heard much buzz for Wonder Woman in comic book circles for a long time. Her name and imagery is very iconic, but I've not seen very many cases of people actually getting excited about the character and her appearances. Is a WW film/series due?
WW film is coming out. Most people are excited by it, esp since the trailer looks promising.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Why does it feel like every film that Snyder is involved with somehow turns out to be a confused mess? Not confusing - but the movie itself is confused.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Loads of people moan, but these films do well. Generally have a decent to great review score... And I enjoy most of them for what they are. Some are actually great...

Long may it continue.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Loads of people moan, but these films do well. Generally have a decent to great review score... And I enjoy most of them for what they are. Some are actually great...

Long may it continue.
This got pretty terrible reviews.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
And BvS, user reviews on IMDB included.
True. Most of the bog-standard Marvel movies get reasonable enough reviews (for as dull as most of them are), but DC have been putting out some panned movies lately.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
True. Most of the bog-standard Marvel movies get reasonable enough reviews (for as dull as most of them are), but DC have been putting out some panned movies lately.
It would be interesting to see how many rewrites the DC movies get in comparison to the Marvel ones, not to mention that DC have made a mess of the order between stand alone movies and the ensemble ones by putting the latter mainly first. BvS and SS wasted too much time on characters who weren't the main stars at the expense of the characters that the movie is meant to be about.

afrocentricity

This got pretty terrible reviews.
And BvS, user reviews on IMDB included.
You need to realise that some people like these films. I know in the age of internet hyperbole that some of you think any piece of media below an 80% approval/score is bad but you need to actually look at the reviews and not just cherry pick or stop at the review score. How is something above a 60-65% approval/score not at least arguably decent?

I've had this conversation too many times to want to engage further on it, so like I said, there are people that like these movies.

Ubik

Suicide Squad has 40 on metacritic. BvS has 44. For comparison, the undeniably abhorrent Green Lantern has 39. I'm sure some people do like them, but I really don't see why that should stop the rest of us holding filmmakers with endless budgets, decades of source material and great characters to a more respectable standard.

afrocentricity

Suicide Squad has 40 on metacritic. BvS has 44. For comparison, the undeniably abhorrent Green Lantern has 39. I'm sure some people do like them, but I really don't see why that should stop the rest of us holding filmmakers with endless budgets, decades of source material and great characters to a more respectable standard.
You can do what you want, I just told you people like these films. The user scores are all above 60 btw...

Ubik

You can do what you want, I just told you people like these films. The user scores are all above 60 btw...
And the Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones have similar, fanboyism is a hell of a drug.

afrocentricity

And the Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones have similar, fanboyism is a hell of a drug.
That argument... It swings both ways right? Or do you just call the people who you disagree with fanboys? For example, I'm sure that as many people overrated the film, there were as many that underrated it... These things tend to even themselves out. Or do you disagree?

Nobody is claiming these are masterpieces but they have value to some. If you dislike these films so much then why go see them? What were you expecting? If they've all been bad then just don't go see them. It's okay to dislike them and wish they were better, but they are what they are and lots of people still enjoy them.

PepsiCola

I really enjoyed Batman Vs Superman, especially the extended cut. There are undeniably poor plot points in the movie. However the action, cinematography and score are top notch notch imho.

Hated suicide squad though. A very poor movie.

afrocentricity

I didn't like the theatrical cut but the extended cut won me over, suicide squad was ok. I like MoS tho ;)

Ubik

That argument... It swings both ways right? Or do you just call the people who you disagree with fanboys? For example, I'm sure that as many people overrated the film, there were as many that underrated it... These things tend to even themselves out. Or do you disagree?

Nobody is claiming these are masterpieces but they have value to some. If you dislike these films so much then why go see them? What were you expecting? If they've all been bad then just don't go see them. It's okay to dislike them and wish they were better, but they are what they are and lots of people still enjoy them.
I think people that rated them 9 and 10 are fanboys, to say the least. On IMDB, the number that rated Suicide Squad a 9 or 10 is almost 4 times the number that voted it a 1 or 2, so I'm not sure it does even itself out. (If you want an example of fanboys (slash men in general) voting something down, take a look at the breakdown of last year's Ghostbusters, which has a lot more 1s than 10s.)

I went to see these films because I like good action films and I like the characters. I complain about SS and BvS in particular because they're failing to even be good at those things and I expect better. I went and saw Civil War as well and enjoyed it plenty.

Last edited:

afrocentricity

That's because Civil War is a miles better film... Anyway, you get my point.

So you're saying 4x more people voted it more than 8 than users voting it less than 3 (where did you even get that from)? Ok, so what? I'd give SS a 6 myself, BvS a 7...

I went to see these films because I like good action films and I like the characters.
But why go? Were you hoping these films would be different? Don't we know what to expect at this point?

I don't know about you but if I'm not sure about a film in the cinema then I watch something else, wait for reviews or a solid recommendation. Save yourself the disappointment next time...

And on your edit, maybe I wasn't clear, but for all those people rushing to vote up their favorite movie there are those rushing to vote it down... It is what it is. It's not even a astute observation, it's how things are across any and all internet voting systems.

Last edited:

Ubik

:lol: Great, it's my fault now for hoping it was going to be good.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I don't know what to say about the movie, I thought it was going to be more like the animated movie but when I saw the actual movie I didn't thought it was bad or terrible but it wasn't nothing to hype about.

I wouldn't a Harley Quinn film and it might be better with just focusing on her but if they made a movie abuot that videogame when Super Man becomes mad, kills the joker and then Batman tries to stop him would have been better even if it were animated.

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
I liked the green lantern.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
You need to realise that some people like these films. I know in the age of internet hyperbole that some of you think any piece of media below an 80% approval/score is bad but you need to actually look at the reviews and not just cherry pick or stop at the review score. How is something above a 60-65% approval/score not at least arguably decent?

I've had this conversation too many times to want to engage further on it, so like I said, there are people that like these movies.
Bit condescending, I'm fully aware that some people like these films. Some people also don't like them, and to brush them off as "moaners" doesn't help the debate.

How is something above a 60-65% approval/score not at least arguably decent?
You're totally right, 60-65% is absolutely decent, but you also referred to some of these films being great and I took umbrage to that. This is all just my opinion though, just like yours is yours. The reality is that different people take the percentage rating differently. Some see it as a balanced scaled from 1-10, some people look at sites such as IGN and notice that in their eyes the scale is usually between 7-10 with the occasional dip into something lower. People's expectations of the percentage approval score have been tarnished because of sites like that.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Wonder Woman is very well-known, but is she particularly popular? Currently, I'd guess that Harley Quinn trumps all female comic characters, by a distance. A film with HQ as the lead would totally kill it. It would probably be godawful too.
I think Hairy Quim will be short lived. She is basically this generation's Lobo.

afrocentricity

Bit condescending, I'm fully aware that some people like these films. Some people also don't like them, and to brush them off as "moaners" doesn't help the debate.
You're free to moan as much as you like, it's just boring when it drags on... How many different ways can you say you dislike something and think it's shite? What's wrong with someone else pointing out that they like said thing? Anyone would think this (and the other) film was a universal debacle, not worth anyone's time... But it's not. Hyperbole doesn't help the debate either (although I don't know why you think this is a debate, it was just an opposing opinion)

Like I said to the other poster, if you don't like em don't watch em... Nobody is forcing you.

some of these films being great
Well yes, some are, the aforementioned Civil War for example, imo

Last edited:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
You're free to moan as much as you like, it's just boring when it drags on... How many different ways can you say you dislike something and think it's shite? What's wrong with someone else pointing out that they like said thing? Anyone would think this (and the other) film was a universal debacle, not worth anyone's time... But it's not. Hyperbole doesn't help the debate either (although I don't know why you think this is a debate, it was just an opposing opinion)

Like I said to the other poster, if you don't like em don't watch em... Nobody is forcing you.

Well yes, some are, the aforementioned Civil War for example, imo
Ah, I thought we were only talking about the recent DC/Snyder movies, my mistake.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

Neither of the two films we're talking about got good reviews, though. Both were panned and fell under the 50% bar...with one of the main comments of praise being that they could have been good...which isn't really praise at all! And the approval ratings are just the critics who thought it was a decent film by the measure of an entertainment flick. As in...not that the film was given a score of 30% due to 3/10 reviews, but just that 30% of reviewers thought it was a decent to good film. I'm fine for people to like them (it'd be absurd to argue otherwise), but it's generally accepted that both movies were panned, and that they came in for a lot of criticism.

Both had plenty of fans but would've largely ridden off the coattails of DC and having Batman/Superman/the Joker etc. Take that out and they'd have even less fans.

afrocentricity

Neither of the two films we're talking about got good reviews, though. Both were panned and fell under the 50% bar...with one of the main comments of praise being that they could have been good...which isn't really praise at all! And the approval ratings are just the critics who thought it was a decent film by the measure of an entertainment flick. As in...not that the film was given a score of 30% due to 3/10 reviews, but just that 30% of reviewers thought it was a decent to good film. I'm fine for people to like them (it'd be absurd to argue otherwise), but it's generally accepted that both movies were panned, and that they came in for a lot of criticism.

Both had plenty of fans but would've largely ridden off the coattails of DC and having Batman/Superman/the Joker etc. Take that out and they'd have even less fans.
You're mistaken, I'm talking about user scores not percentage of likes to dislikes... All of which are over 60%. I thought it was clear but maybe not...

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

You're mistaken, I'm talking about user scores not percentage of likes to dislikes... All of which are over 60%. I thought it was clear but maybe not...
Ah right, fair enough then. But I don't think saying 'other people liked it' is a particularly strong defence of a movie. It was still heavily panned by plenty of people even if audiences quite enjoyed it some extent.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Of course some people like them. Some people like Nazis and Westlife. That doesn't make them good.

afrocentricity

So it's basically now an 'I'm right and you're wrong' argument? I'm just pointing out that some people liked it, I don't know what's so controversial about that statement...

How the fcuk it descended into Nazi comparisons I'll never know...