Summer 2019 Midfield Rebuild

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Would certainly like to see Maddison sign, think he has a great future, Fernandes looks good on videos, but also decent in International matches, so he could be a decent buy, think McTominay will give us grit and determination in a CDM role, so it possibly comes down to how Fred performs, possibly on the right side of a mid three, with Fernandes just slightly advanced. I think we will change the team around for Europa and EFL cup games, some academy lads may get a run out in those, thinking of the future.

Jericholyte2

I've suggested this in the Pogba thread but I would insist on Casemiero being part of the deal, the sign Fernandes and Maddison. A midfield three of them would cover an awful lot of boxes that need to be ticked.

I would then still look at Longstaff or McGinn as more long-term / squad targets.

bucky

Marc Roca or Florentino Luis to compete with Matic or take over from him. Havertz or Aouar in case Pogba is leaving, which is looking more likely (not that either is likely to happen). Fabian Ruiz, irrespective of what happens with Pogba. Can't say I'm optimistic.

George The Best

Ole is going to struggle to be attractive to big names, sorry. We can sell Pogba, Lukaku, DDG, get loads of cash, but who do we get in return for it? Kids or mercenaries imo.

Mainoldo

Marc Roca or Florentino Luis to compete with Matic or take over from him. Havertz or Aouar in case Pogba is leaving, which is looking more likely (not that either is likely to happen). Fabian Ruiz, irrespective of what happens with Pogba. Can't say I'm optimistic.
Not being funny but the last thing we need is a Brazilian who doesn’t want to be here. No thanks.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Neves---McTominay
--——Bruno-——-

Backup: Matic, Fred, Pereira, Mata, Gomes

Walters_19_MuFc

I can imagine we'll replace Pogba with Bruno.

In regards to Herrera replacement, which we still haven't got, we should be getting a holding midfielder.

We've got McTominay, Fred, Pereira and even Fernandes (if we get him) to play that role. Other than Matic, who has lost his legs, we have no one who can really play the holding role.

Attacking Mid/Mata
Holding Mid/Matic - Fred/McTominay
Then the following season, if Fred hasn't impressed, we get rid and get a top box to box midfielder.

w1thout

If Pogba eventually goes, a midfield of McTominay, Pereira, Fred and Matic is lacking in every department.

Not really suitable for high intensity pressing with Matic as the sole CDM, not really built for possesion football as all of them are inclined to loose the ball at dangerous areas, and most of them are not that strong on the ball.

Lacking a metronome to pull the strings from deep and control the game, lacking creativity, lacking passing range - and really lacking goals.

You can't go into the season with that engine room. Ed needs to pull the finger out, ASAP.
We need atleast 2 midfielders, 3 if Pogba goes.

Bestietom

Saw a rumor, probably nothing, that says Ceballos is only being tracked by Spurs and the two Milan clubs... What are we doing?!?!?!

Ceballos is on a different planet than Longstaff.... And I would be willing to bet he is vastly superior to Bruno as well.
We could get him thrown into the deal plus cash for Pogba.

Rocknrolla69er

Surely we can get Ceballos included in a deal for Pogba id ask for him and Casemiro see how much they want him

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
seeing the pics of the earthquakes in California makes me think of our midfield rebuild for some reason...

Andersons Dietician

Saw a graphic in the paper of who is going on tour and reading the midfield section and thought damn it looks dire. We need quality in their ASAP as the only one of quality has question marks over will he stay or go.

Might actually think it’s more pressing than a CB now.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Saw a graphic in the paper of who is going on tour and reading the midfield section and thought damn it looks dire. We need quality in their ASAP as the only one of quality has question marks over will he stay or go.

Might actually think it’s more pressing than a CB now.

Matic, Mata, Pogba, Lingard, McTominay, Chong, Gomes, James, Garner, Andreas

Whats wrong with that? If you believe the cafe.... Chong, Gomes and Garner are amazing?

But yes, what a dire midfield, especially if you take Pogba out of it :lol:

Stubble

Why I think next season is potentially going to be our worst.

I don't think Utd should care about Man City and Liverpool. Utd have a challenge against teams from 4th to 9th. The reason I went as far as 9th: I see teams like Everton, Leicester and Wolves closing the gap on Utd/Arsenal. They will close the gap on both of us more than we will close it on getting 3rd-4th.

- I don't see Arsenal/Utd doing enough in the market to better the squad. One of the main reasons for that is MIDFIELD: Most of the teams around Utd have better midfield pivots or trios. Leicester are likely to sign Youri Tielemans long term from Monaco (Utd should have went for him). Spurs have made the best signing of the summer (imo) in Ndombele. He will take Spurs to another level.

Why I'm concerned about utd's midfield. All the focus seems to be on signing a top CB for 70m+ I get the need for a CB. But I don't think a new CB will necessarily solve all of our problems. A major issue for Utd is that we don't control the game, we lose the midfield battle and when that happens the defence is exposed. This will happen even if we signed a new CB. I think Utd need at least 2 new central midfielders to compete vs the teams around us.

Players like, Rúben Neves, Moutinho, Ndombele, Tielemans are much better than anyone Utd has Bar Pogba. Beyond Pogba we don't have much midfield quality. Herrera has left of a free transfer. Fred had in indifferent season (can improve I think, did better in the latter stages of the season). Matic is not fit for purpose imo. He should not start games anymore for Utd, he was a terrible signing and a waste of 40M. - He was too old at the time we signed him. Only looked good in his first season but now his age is showing, his legs have gone. - Even though Mourinho loved him and played him all the time, I think he was responsible for a lot of what when wrong last season. Can't win the midfield battle with Matic taking a an eternity to turn.

Then we have Mctominay. Who I like. He has more energy and he was one of our best players at the end of last season. We have Fred, Mctominay, Pogba. (Matic is doesn't count so I'm not including him). Are these three going to win games vs Rúben Neves, Moutinho, Ndombele, Tielemans for example?

I know the window is still open but some of the best options we could have got have gone elsewhere and my main concern is that we will only sign 1 midfielder. I fear that would leave us short because we've needed better midfielders for a few seasons now. Plus, we don't know if Pogba will stay. He might leave on deadline day or in the eleventh hour.

We should be planning for life after Pogba. If Pogba stays at utd this season. He'll probably end up leaving next year. We should bring in two midfielders this summer. Longstaff isn't gonna cut it. He might become a top player but right now he is just potential. We need a more experienced player. I hope Bruno Fernandes happens. I would not mind seeing Giovani Lo Celso come in also. I'm sure everyone else has names.

Main point here is how important it is to get the midfield right this summer because if we don't we are set for another season of disappointment.

Yes, ditto all of this - what we do now in the market regarding midfield will define our season more than anything else... the options we have at the moment are just not good enough compared to our main rivals.

red4ever 79

The way I am feeling right now I say f*ck it all and just play the kids. McTomminay, Garner and Fred with Greenwood and Gomes up top with either Martial or Rashford

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Our midfield isn’t good enough to challenge for the title, but let’s not forget we beat Spurs away with a midfield trio of Matic, Pogba and Herrera. We also beat PSG away with a trio of Fred, Mctominay and Pereira! The midfield isn’t what we want because we have high standards, were clearly getting at least one midfielder, like Spurs has - potentially more depending on what happens with Pogba, I wouldn’t be so pessimistic.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
So this was the post you were referring to a couple of days ago...
Mentioned the same players in another thread.
Eerie how similar your midfield strategy is, including Havertz and Fabián (on top of Roca and Florentino from that thread). I think I love you! :lol:

Andersons Dietician

Matic, Mata, Pogba, Lingard, McTominay, Chong, Gomes, James, Garner, Andreas

Whats wrong with that? If you believe the cafe.... Chong, Gomes and Garner are amazing?

But yes, what a dire midfield, especially if you take Pogba out of it :lol:
The CAF as a think tank is a bit like a magic 8 ball, or like a 11 yr old telling you he’s banged 100 chicks and 3 of them were Victoria secret models and he has nudes of Emily Radjakowski she sent him as that’s his bit on the side.

Even with Pogba in that midfield looks in trouble and as promising as that trio might be 1 is a winger, another an attacking midfielder and none totally ready to hold down a midfield place in the team. Even if you throw Fernandes in to that I’d still be asking questions.

bucky

So this was the post you were referring to a couple of days ago...

Eerie how similar your midfield strategy is, including Havertz and Fabián (on top of Roca and Florentino from that thread). I think I love you! :lol:
:lol: I'm flattered. We were on the same page regarding Rodrigo as well. Let's hope United actually do something meaningful in terms of midfield signings. Longstaff isn't enough.

jamesjimmybyrondean

If Pogba leaves then our midfield is messed up. Even if we sign Bruno as his replacement then we'd still need another midfielder. If we sign Bruno and Longstaff if Pogba goes then we're still fecked. We need midfielders that will jump into the starting 11 which might not be the case with Longstaff

I don't have confidence in a midfield of Fernandes Mcctominay and Matic/Longstaff especially when I look at the midfield of our rivals. If Pogba should go then we absolutely need three midfielders. Get in Fernandes as his replacement. Get Longstaff in to replace Matic in the future and then a Herrera replacement. A proper Box to Box that can contribute in attack and defense then our midfield is set.

Realistically who do you guys think we should get as our Box to Box who can both defend and attack

MrSingh2002

Can you even blame Pogba for wanting to leave looking at our current midfield?

Would you want to play with Kroos Modric and Casemiro?

Or Matic, Fred and McTominay?

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Has there been many if any rumours regarding Neves? Lots of chat about him before the window but haven't heard much since.

croadyman

I am starting to get the impression this midfield rebuild consists of one player. I find it so negligent it doesn't matter whether Pogba stays or not we are still only looking to bring in a single midfielder.

Last edited:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I am starting to get the impression this midfield rebuild consists of one player. I find it so negligent it doesn't whether Pogba stays or not we are still only looking to bring in a single midfielder.
If that's how it pans out, then it will be negligent. I think we'll do a bit more. We'll get that squad player to replace Herrera (who was actually a very important first team player) and a creative midfielder. Probably won't sign a DM this window. It won't be enough to be competitive at the top end, but it will help challenge for top 4.

Walters_19_MuFc

Ole is wants to build the team around Pogba, and has said in previous interviews that he wants to let the attacking four 'attack'. That is Pogba and the front three.

With that being the case, then players like Fernandes and Savic, who we've most recently been linked with, just doesn't make sense, unless it's to replace Pogba.

Obviously, Ole could try and convert them into box to box midfielders and put one of them alongside Pogba, but for the price being touted, it's not worth taking the risk, in my opinion. That, and it would take away a lot from their game.

I believe the reason we're in for Longstaff is because he can eventually replace Matic and play the deeper role, with Fred or McTominay next to him playing the box to box role.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
This is what I'm most anxious about now we've solved the right back issue.

I actually think getting at least 1 midfielder (preferably 2) is more essential than getting a CB. Our midfield causes problem in defence and attack is what I feel. We just haven't gotten the balance right at all.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Ole is wants to build the team around Pogba, and has said in previous interviews that he wants to let the attacking four 'attack'. That is Pogba and the front three.

With that being the case, then players like Fernandes and Savic, who we've most recently been linked with, just doesn't make sense, unless it's to replace Pogba.

Obviously, Ole could try and convert them into box to box midfielders and put one of them alongside Pogba, but for the price being touted, it's not worth taking the risk, in my opinion. That, and it would take away a lot from their game.

I believe the reason we're in for Longstaff is because he can eventually replace Matic and play the deeper role, with Fred or McTominay next to him playing the box to box role.
I thought Savic played b2b last season

Fer

If we play 4231, which DM would be ideal to partner Pogba in a midfield of 2?