Summer 2019 Midfield Rebuild

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If we play 4231, which DM would be ideal to partner Pogba in a midfield of 2?
Mctominay obviously. More composed than Fred. Hard worker than Matic. But I thought the idea is playing Pogba in advanced role.

Devil may care

Despite the "Miles away" tweet that was just posted I think we'll get Maguire and I reckon Bruno Fernandes will probably happen, but midfield is a mess, we need to replace Herrera and upgrade Matic, one of these players needs to be a game controller and we just aren't getting linked to anyone in the latter category.

Giggsyking

Rojo, Lindelöf, Smalling, Jones, Bailly, Axel and most propably Maguire.
7 centerbacks. WTF. Get rid of 3 direclty.
Jones, Smalling and Rojo should leave.

Hawks2008

Rojo, Lindelöf, Smalling, Jones, Bailly, Axel and most propably Maguire.
7 centerbacks. WTF. Get rid of 3 direclty.
Jones, Smalling and Rojo should leave.
Keep Smalling he has his uses, sell Bailly while he still has some resale value imo.

Patrick08

Despite the "Miles away" tweet that was just posted I think we'll get Maguire and I reckon Bruno Fernandes will probably happen, but midfield is a mess, we need to replace Herrera and upgrade Matic, one of these players needs to be a game controller and we just aren't getting linked to anyone in the latter category.
Welcome back.

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Keep Smalling he has his uses, sell Bailly while he still has some resale value imo.
Add Darmien, as well. So if we sell:
Rojo 15m
Jones 15m
Darmien 10m
Bailly 25m
=65m

And we add another 15m to those 65m and we get a better CB then all four of them in Maguire and we give a big talent the chance (Tuanzebe).

In:
Wan Bissaka 45m
Tuanzebe 0m
Maguire 80m
=125

So for a total of 60m we make a huge upgrade in our defense by adding a huge talent in RB position and someone that is already ready to start games for us, we also get a CB that is mostly needed and he has some qualities we really lack in our defense and we can also give, finally, Tuanzebe to fight for a spot.

Young - Smalling - Jones - Shaw
(Start of the last season backline)

VS

Wan Bissaka - Lindelöf - Maguire - Shaw

Get it done asap and move on to find 2 proper CMs and a RW and we are good to go and will be fighting for top 4.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
So with Herrera gone and Matic pretty much playing out of retirement - we're left with Pogba, Scott, Perreira and Fred.

How deeply concerning is that to anyone here?

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
So with Herrera gone and Matic pretty much playing out of retirement - we're left with Pogba, Scott, Perreira and Fred.

How deeply concerning is that to anyone here?
Don't know about anyone here but the gaffer is happy with the squad

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Midfielder and RW are more imperative than a striker even if Lukaku leaves.

Judas

Open to offers
Even if we signed Longstaff, its a massive and almost idiotic gamble to think he's right now the replacement for Herrera/Matic. The lack of links to someone a bit more ready to fill those shoes is very disheartening.

KennyBurner

Sean longstaff as deeplying playmaker?

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
We could yet dig Bruno and Longstaff. Still a bit bit of time left yet mate :)
Looks fairly likely you'll get Bruno, but I'm guessing Newcastle have priced Longstaff out of a move, so I'd bet you're first choice midfield will be:

-------------McT/Matic----------
------Bruno---------------Pogba

Not bad actually and if you add Maguire to the back line that firms up the defence and with Bruno and AWB operating on the right certainly balances up the team. Add Sancho next season and that's quite a squad!

Fer

De Gea
Wan Bissaka - Lindelof - Maguire - Shaw
CDM
Fernandes - Pogba
RW - Rashford - Martial
It seems that Sancho is the favorite for the RW position. We should go for a player like Ziyech (30m) this summer to improve our attack. There are better options, but they will be more expensive.

It would be better so save a bit of money to go for Sancho or another top winger next year.

Ziyech could end up being Mata's replacement in the near future.

There are good opportunities in this transfer market like Alderweireld, Ziyech and others.

Also, we need a mobile DM to support Fernandes (hopefully) and Pogba.

Eric's Seagull

Looks fairly likely you'll get Bruno, but I'm guessing Newcastle have priced Longstaff out of a move, so I'd bet you're first choice midfield will be:

-------------McT/Matic----------
------Bruno---------------Pogba

Not bad actually and if you add Maguire to the back line that firms up the defence and with Bruno and AWB operating on the right certainly balances up the team. Add Sancho next season and that's quite a squad!

A decent midfield but like I've previously stated, I dont think we can rely on Matic to play regulalury due to his legs going. In my opinion we should only start him in the big games., with a view to selling him next summer. I think McTominay will get a lot more game time next season as Ole seems to like the guy. I think this is due to fact Mctminay will do whatever Ole says and follow instructions down to a tee, that type of relationship between a player and trust is crucial between manager and play to have mate.

Last edited:

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I think McTominay will get a lot more game time next season as Ole seems to like the guy.
I agree. With Lindelof and Maguire (if he comes in) McT could take that position and make it his. He has the tools, we've seen he's capable of a good tackle and his passing is pretty good at this stage. With Matic as backup and an improved defence we could get by with what we have. a midfield of ...

McT
Fernandes - Pogba
... looks pretty good on paper. Certainly potentially better than we've had in years.

Eric's Seagull

I agree. With Lindelof and Maguire (if he comes in) McT could take that position and make it his. He has the tools, we've seen he's capable of a good tackle and his passing is pretty good at this stage. With Matic as backup and an improved defence we could get by with what we have. a midfield of ...

McT
Fernandes - Pogba
... looks pretty good on paper. Certainly potentially better than we've had in years.
Had a conversation about this with someone yesterday about playing the midfield 3 you suggested. If McTominay keeps on improving he think he could that role ang give Pogba and Fernanded freedom to cause havoc. Agree Matic should be backup and kept fir big games as hais legs have gone. Definitely worth trying should Pogba stay mate :D

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The holding mid is vital IMO after we sign up a CB. If we play a midfield 3 like:
#10 - #8
#10 - Pogba, Mata, Gomes
#8 - McTominay, Fred, Pereira
#6 - ???, Matic

Without it, we'll really need Matic to have a big season out of nowhere, because all signs point to him aging and slowing down and being just a back up. Don't think McTominay is best as a defensive mid, though we'll see how it looks with a new CB. Could be Mctominay the starting #6, Fred starting #8 and Pereira the back up.

Sea-Cow

I will never understand why we (apparently) lock-in on players at the exclusion of others.

Why are we so locked in on Bruno Fernandez when Ceballos is available and possibly going to Arsenal? Why do we stick with Matic when Rodri had a reasonable release clause?

I know there are loads of things that go into signings that I will never be aware of, but I will never understand our moves.

LuckyScout78

I think United shall buy Idrissa Gana Gueye from Everton. Because if McTom get injury. United will be in trouble for top 4 spot. Matic doesnt has running legs anymore. And im not sure if Perreira and Fred will do a good job as cm. United were really struggling without Herrera in the last matches, right after the last Paris game.

That run of poor games. The main reason and biggest problem was without a hard working aggressive good ball winner.

Idrissa Gana Gueye from Everton is close up there with Kabte and Fernandinho. And i have observed Gana can play quick passing combination football too. Beside good to break up opponents attack.

Its a long season. United might need to win Uefa cup. If they dont get top 4 in the league, to get a champion league spot. Then United need a big squad with depth.
And i think it get to be Matic last season, United need quicker and more hard work legs in cm area.

Having a 29/30 years old Gana and having a 22/23 years old McTom as a more defensive cm in the years to come will be good. Double covered.

worldinmotion66

It's quite clear that we don't have the funds for a midfield rebuild unless Pogba leaves. You can't chuck £50m on Fred and then just abandon that and do it again every summer.

I think Ole is hoping that an improvement in central defence, with someone that can actually play a forward pass, may help us to bypass the midfield more quickly and play with a real pacey counter attack. In this scenario, I think matic will again play a lot of games. Ole obviously also has faith in McTominay and Pereira. Liverpool have shown that a workman like midfield can still bear fruit in the right set up.

sherrinford

It's quite clear that we don't have the funds for a midfield rebuild unless Pogba leaves. You can't chuck £50m on Fred and then just abandon that and do it again every summer.

I think Ole is hoping that an improvement in central defence, with someone that can actually play a forward pass, may help us to bypass the midfield more quickly and play with a real pacey counter attack. In this scenario, I think matic will again play a lot of games. Ole obviously also has faith in McTominay and Pereira. Liverpool have shown that a workman like midfield can still bear fruit in the right set up.
If you are proposing a midfield three consisting of Pogba, Matic and Fred then I think if you set it up flat/ with Matic holding behind the other two then Fred looks uncomfortable with how wide/ high he is generally stationed, but if you play him and Matic together in a double pivot, though I would expect both to be more comfortable, you would be asking Pogba to then play from an uncomfortable no.10 position - I don’t think there’s a good fit there.

If we continue playing a 4-2-3-1 with Pogba deeper then that may just mean abandoning Fred anyway (well, banishment to the reserves).

worldinmotion66

If you are proposing a midfield three consisting of Pogba, Matic and Fred then I think if you set it up flat/ with Matic holding behind the other two then Fred looks uncomfortable with how wide/ high he is generally stationed, but if you play him and Matic together in a double pivot, though I would expect both to be more comfortable, you would be asking Pogba to then play from an uncomfortable no.10 position - I don’t think there’s a good fit there.

If we continue playing a 4-2-3-1 with Pogba deeper then that may just mean abandoning Fred anyway (well, banishment to the reserves).
I'm suggesting a change in style of play more than anything because I don't think we can afford to replace Matic and Herrera in one window, as well as a right back and centre back.

I'm not against abandoning Fred per se, more of a comment in regard to our recruitment strategies. If we were to throw a similar figure at the latest big thing i(n Bruno Fernandes, for example) without actually conducting due diligence or having a plan for the side, it might end up as just another waste of money. We need to be trying as best we can to plan the next three transfer windows in advance, rather than constantly putting out fires and making short term decisions that are clearly not working.

Fer

I think United shall buy Idrissa Gana Gueye from Everton. Because if McTom get injury. United will be in trouble for top 4 spot. Matic doesnt has running legs anymore. And im not sure if Perreira and Fred will do a good job as cm. United were really struggling without Herrera in the last matches, right after the last Paris game.

That run of poor games. The main reason and biggest problem was without a hard working aggressive good ball winner.

Idrissa Gana Gueye from Everton is close up there with Kabte and Fernandinho. And i have observed Gana can play quick passing combination football too. Beside good to break up opponents attack.

Its a long season. United might need to win Uefa cup. If they dont get top 4 in the league, to get a champion league spot. Then United need a big squad with depth.
And i think it get to be Matic last season, United need quicker and more hard work legs in cm area.

Having a 29/30 years old Gana and having a 22/23 years old McTom as a more defensive cm in the years to come will be good. Double covered.
Do you consider Gueye a better signing than Ndidi for the DM position?

Eric's Seagull

Ndidi would be a great buy, can't see it happening especially if we buy McGuire.
I would realy like Ndidi myself but don;t think we will get him for the exact reason you mentioned. Leicester will not want to dismantle their sqquad by selling 2 of their best players especially after having a decent season last year, they will want to build on it and try to quality for Europe this season mate.

oreon

We can't go to the season with this midfield. It's a recipe for disaster. Herrera was our 2nd best CM and he's nowhere near close to WC. Fred and Pereira are not EPL players. Matic is losing his legs. Mctominay isn't a starting CM in the EPL. He's a liability as a CDM that's why Ole started playing him further foward. If funds were limited, RB could have waited. Midfield is the most important position especially with the high press, quick transition system Ole wants to implement. You need bodies that can cover ground. Matic won't last a full season playing at a high tempo. And there simply aren't better options for CDM. The planning is a joke. I hope they're not dumb enough to think they can get with the current midfield. This team was horrible when one of Matic, Herrera or Pogba was out. Two of those need to be replaced soon.

Bestietom

2 midfielders were wanted by Ole at the start of this transfer window. We haven't got anyone in for this area with only a.couple of weeks to go. I'm worried that we won't get Top players for this area and we will suffer the consequences this coming season.

Dan_F

We need a defensive midfielder. From what I’ve seen McTominay is better off as a box to box, I don’t really rate him in the Matic role. Doesn’t really seem intelligent enough to intercept, or creative enough with his passing. We really need another player who’s good on the ball to take the pressure off Pogba. Teams know they can double team him and we won’t be able to bring the ball past halfway.

Kag

Midfield is worrying me. Without Herrera we lack any sort of dynamism in there. An all rounder that can break up play and a goal scoring midfielder are needed desperately.