Summer Clear Out 2016

Gopher Brown

I will only judge Blind once he starts playing in midfield or at least the left rear flank. God knows what LVG was smoking when he decided that he can play as CB.
Well, we know exactly what LVG is/was thinking. In our set-up, the players with the most time on the ball are the centre backs. None of ours are any good at distribution, so he's playing a defensively minded player there who can pass.

It may not be working, but it's Blind's lack of pace which is the main problem, which would equally be a problem in midfield (although not at left back, seemingly). His heading hasn't been a problem.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Cos our position is all Schweinsteiger's fault. Good logic there. Also, I can't take you serious with that opinion of Memphis after not even a full season with us where LVG has stifled almost every player.
Okay...one is a great dressing room influence and the other will magically come good next season.

Good talk.

Devil may care

We can't do another full broom, just as long as LvG and Giggs go and take Rooney and Fellaini with them I think we can work from there.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
We can't do another full broom, just as long as LvG and Giggs go and take Rooney and Fellaini with them I think we can work from there.
I think the 25 man squad should be made up of 2 good players for each position + 3 versatile players who can contribute when needed. The '3' can be some of the plodders that we already have.

For me the make up should be:

Goalie - De Gea, Valdes
RB - Darmain, Valencia (or an upgrade)
LB - Shaw, CBJ
CB - Smalling, Jones (I prefer Jones 'the crock' over Rojo 'the train wreck'), CB, CB
CM (With 433 as my preferred formation) - Schneiderlin, Herrera, Pereira, CM, CM, Carrick/Schweinsteiger (I would prefer Carrick)
RW - RW, Januzaj
LW - Martial, LW
Striker - Striker, Wilson

Marital can play both left wing and striker
Blind can be the 23rd player, with the ability to play at CB, CM, LB
Lingard for his versatility to play as a LW, AM, RW
Plus, one other player.

Don't think it is possible to make those changes in one summer. Though, that should be our goal in the next 2-3 windows. No point is keeping players who are just there to make numbers. I rather those numbers be filled by the likes of Goss, Tofu, Tuanzebe & Rothwell.

Our focus should be to balance a squad which currently looks in disarray due to Van Gaal's incompetence and stupidity.

Last edited:

Morpheus 7

Well, we know exactly what LVG is/was thinking. In our set-up, the players with the most time on the ball are the centre backs. None of ours are any good at distribution, so he's playing a defensively minded player there who can pass.

It may not be working, but it's Blind's lack of pace which is the main problem, which would equally be a problem in midfield (although not at left back, seemingly). His heading hasn't been a problem.
Not even god knows what Van Gaal is thinking.Blind can't play centre back,it's been clear for a very long time.His positional sense, instinct, physique is all wrong. It's really not even got to do with pace,passing is important but not key for a defender. It's winning headers, winning tackles knowing when to hold the line and also lead it. I'm not going to have a go at poor Blind but he's a mess there, it's not his natural position. Our failing in securing an established player to partner Smalling last summer is so overlooked.
Everybody could see Phil Jones getting injured, he's been a sicknote since he came. Rojo is rubbish and Van Gaal doesn't even trust him there. It's a miracle that Smalling hasn't been injured more. You don't win anything without a strong spine. De Gea and Smalling have saved us from embarrassment this season at the back. People go on about Blind being tired, Blind is a liability at the back which has cost us so many goals this season. It's the club and manager failing to recognise real problems. If it was Van Gaal's first season in the league, I could maybe understand his logic but he's underestimated the league again and again.

People keep going on about a striker being a priority but it's a center back. Laporte or Stone's is a must if we want to win anything.

Todd

You guys want a summer clear out, yet have been watching a season in which you see what happens when half the first team gets injured and the manager has to pick players who have no business being on an EPL pitch.

If anything we should want to keep pretty much everyone we have, and add another 5 proven players.

This way, when our top players get injured we still have guys like Valencia, Young, Fellaini, Carrick, etc who have years of EPL experience who can at least do a job, rather than resorting to playing guys with squad numbers in the 30s or 40s.

Ole90+3

Fellaini, Rooney
Possibly Carrick, however, he may be good to stick around purely to have an extra experienced player among our ranks, but the way he has performed this season has shown anything but years of experience.

As a lot of people have mentioned, we don't need a clear out, as this is one of the few things LVG has successfully achieved. What he failed to achieve was replacing these players.

Silverman

Okay...one is a great dressing room influence and the other will magically come good next season.

Good talk.
No, one is a calming influence on the pitch and the other was rated best player in the Eredivise and could come good next season. But you keep thinking your right anyway.

dichinero

You guys want a summer clear out, yet have been watching a season in which you see what happens when half the first team gets injured and the manager has to pick players who have no business being on an EPL pitch.

If anything we should want to keep pretty much everyone we have, and add another 5 proven players.

This way, when our top players get injured we still have guys like Valencia, Young, Fellaini, Carrick, etc who have years of EPL experience who can at least do a job, rather than resorting to playing guys with squad numbers in the 30s or 40s.
What good has his years of EPL experience done for us?

The White Pele

We have 6 strikers?

Rooney, Martial, then...

Wilson? Keane? someone else?
I would have said LVG's pecking order prior to Rashford's emergence was probably something like:

Rooney
Martial
Depay
Wilson
Keane
Rashford

Depay hasn't featured there 2nd half of the season but early on he was occasionally used centrally

Fer

For the comments it seems that Carrick, Fellaini and Rooney are the favorites to go. I still think that Rooney is going to stay (with LVG, Giggs or Mourinho as manager). I cannot see him going to China or a top club paying his wages.

Devil81

I'm swinging with Mata all the time, I still feel in a good side he'd be an asset, he's clearly on the quality players struggling in a bad side. I'd get rid of the following players.

Schweinsteiger (Mega wages, mega belly, overweight and finished at the top level)
Fellaini (Never has or will be United standard, another disgraceful physical display last night. Not what United should be about.)
Depay (Horrible attitude, big time charlie, not as good as the lad thinks he is, send him back to Holland, where he can bully a shite league.)
Rojo (Let's be honest, he's never been good enough, I also suspect he's another with a bad attitude. No footballer should be as unfit as he is currently, he only had a shoulder injury. Surely he could cycle to keep fit.)
Januzaj (Bit of a shock one this, I don't like him. I think he's another primadonna, who's achieved fvck all and thinks he's better than he is.)
Darmian (Just noticed I missed him out, ship him back to Italy, he's bloody awful. A total limped wristed pvssy.)

Use the cash from their sales towards some actual footballers, they don't have to have funny names or be world class. Just quality players who give 110% for the shirt and can pass a fvcking ball.

Last edited:

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Rojo -complete crap
Schweiny/carrick/rooney - finished
Darmian - average
Blind - crap
Mata - has talent but doesn't deliver enough
Lingaard/Keane/wilson/Powell - championship quality players
Memphis - shame but his attitude stinks
Januzaj - overrated midtable prem player at best
Fellaini - yeah just awful
Jones - constant sick note hasn't hit the potential he had

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It's not an easy assessment to make. The whole group of players, with very few exceptions, have performed below standard to some degree or other. If you judge them on performances like last night's you'd be tempted to conclude 80% of them aren't good enough for a title challenge. But it doesn't work like that.

Plenty of these players will perform to the required standard under a new manager, I don't really doubt that. For me, it should be a question of bringing in a small number of players – but all of those should be starters or very close to it.

If we go for Maureen, I'm sure he knows exactly who he wants to target already.

Lurpak99

Buttered up
Rojo -complete crap
Schweiny/carrick/rooney - finished
Darmian - average
Blind - crap
Mata - has talent but doesn't deliver enough
Lingaard/Keane/wilson/Powell - championship quality players
Memphis - shame but his attitude stinks
Januzaj - overrated midtable prem player at best
Fellaini - yeah just awful
Jones - constant sick note hasn't hit the potential he had
Only those 15 players? Why not the whole squad?

itso 7

It's not an easy assessment to make. The whole group of players, with very few exceptions, have performed below standard to some degree or other. If you judge them on performances like last night's you'd be tempted to conclude 80% of them aren't good enough for a title challenge. But it doesn't work like that.

Plenty of these players will perform to the required standard under a new manager, I don't really doubt that. For me, it should be a question of bringing in a small number of players – but all of those should be starters or very close to it.

If we go for Maureen, I'm sure he knows exactly who he wants to target already.
This. We should be careful with what we do when approaching the summer rebuild because players like Herrera, Schneiderlin, Blind et al aren't poor players but this manager and the imbalance in our squad have sucked the life out of the rest of the squad. If we could a reliable goal scorer and a more reliable partner for Smalling first off then we would have improved on a squad that reached the summit of the league a few months ago, couple that with the removal of Van Gaal's moronic selections and wack in game management we make top four at least. Bring in a couple of attackers namely a No.10 and a prolific RW then a title fight is not beyond us.
I'm not denying that the players we have do have limitations but those limitations do not make them useless but with a manager that tries to map his game plan with them in mind not force down a blueprint they can't perform would achieve. Van did not try to taylor his methods to our squad and it's limitations he did the opposite.

John Blund

Fellaini needs to go. Else I don't really mind our squad. Carrick isn't getting younger - Rooney might be over the top. I love Schweiny, but I don't feel United should be his China/MLS-step down. If he doesn't got it anymore, he needs to go. Memphis - another Nani, except Nani actually had a few good seasons for us..

Coxy

It's really simple for me. You guys need to get rid of Fellaini - not fussed about anyone else.

The real problem is Van Gaal - get rid of him and play more direct football (like you do sometimes) and you will be fine. You still need to strengthen your first 11 - but you're better than this ffs. You've just got a bloody awful manager.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

When I think about it today the only Players I clearly want to stay are DdG, Smalling, Shaw, Schneiderlin, Martial and some of the Youngsters (not talking about Lingard, Januzaj, Memphis here).
Would prefer to Keep Rooney, Blind and Darmian as well.
Maybe Herrera.

That might be a bit unfair against some Players as they might improve under a new Manager. However, at the Moment I do not care too much if any of the other Players stay or go.

mu77

mata - great but too slow to play wide
big fell - can't play this game
rooney = past it same with carrick , both done
young - just do it had half a good season
tony v - one footed and it's not any good
jones - can't stay on the pitch
rojo - not good enough
SFS - too old and will be older and slower.

shead some youth that look shit and buy both quality and some squadies with heart. and we need more pace.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
We don't need a clear out, we need a better manager and a handful of quality signings.