Summer of discontent

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Here's another story to cheer up us caftards... not...

Agent reveals "British offer" for Villarreal's Rossi
tribalfootball.com - June 10, 2008

The agent of former Manchester United striker Giuseppe Rossi has revealed a return to the Premiership could be on.
"Villarreal has rejected a British offer of £18 million (:eek:)" declared Federico Pastorello. "The value of his buyout clause is around £25 million."

Ekeke

Chelsea bought him for £25 million on my FM game. I don't like where this is going!

But I doubt we'll see him in the premiership for at least another year. ;)

Rahul

We sold him for a packet of crisps didn't we ?

Really done well at Villarreal as well, wish we had never have sold him. Will only get better.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Only a gut feeling but I reckon he would struggle in the Premiership. Certainly isn't worth £25 million not for someone who couldn't get into the Italian squad.

Ekeke

Only a gut feeling but I reckon he would struggle in the Premiership. Certainly isn't worth £25 million not for someone who couldn't get into the Italian squad.
Definately the case at the moment, but he's still young. He has a lot of potential and there's not to much of a reason why he couldn't end up a zola-like player able to ply his trade in England to great effect.

The question is, who was the bid from? Would have been fascinating if it was our own bid.

FlawlessThaw

Definately the case at the moment, but he's still young. He has a lot of potential and there's not to much of a reason why he couldn't end up a zola-like player able to ply his trade in England to great effect.

The question is, who was the bid from? Would have been fascinating if it was our own bid.
Even as a 21 year old with potential he isn't worth £25 million, £15 mil at the most. He could end up being a zola-like player but that would be in a good 6 or 7 years time.

I reckon the bid is from Liverpool.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
He should have been loaned out last year rather than sold.. but its all history now... anyone know if we get a % if he's sold on?

FlawlessThaw

I doubt it would be from Liverpool, Newcastle is my bet
Don't see why Newcastle would go for him, they already have two midgets up front. Only said Liverpool because they could do with another striker and Rafa favours players from Spain.

CockneyHammer

Or just Cock for short
That would be hugely ironic. It was those cnuts who refused to play him when he was at their club, one of the main reasons he was sent abroad on loan and ended up looking overseas for a move.
We refused to play Mascherano but a different manager would probably want him back at West Ham

A lot of people at Newcastle would know his quality and could have recomended him to Keegan. Roeder (I think he was in charge at the time) perhaps didn't rate him himself so didn't play him. I know what he can be like at times

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
We refused to play Mascherano but a different manager would probably want him back at West Ham

A lot of people at Newcastle would know his quality and could have recomended him to Keegan. Roeder (I think he was in charge at the time) perhaps didn't rate him himself so didn't play him. I know what he can be like at times
I'm not saying it's unlikely, just ironic. FWIW, I think Roeder was an idiot for not making better use of Rossi when he had the chance.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
never really cared for him so dont really care where he ends up. He wanted out of United, so now he can feck off to wherever he ends up. We have far bigger talents to get excited about.

And his name is BENZEMA

Ekeke

Even as a 21 year old with potential he isn't worth £25 million, £15 mil at the most. He could end up being a zola-like player but that would be in a good 6 or 7 years time.

I reckon the bid is from Liverpool.
Well yeah, £25 million is too much. I'd say £17 million is a reasonable price on his potential at the top end - being a £17 million player before the end of his career. £25 million is just his buyout clause, which are usually well over the top to ward clubs off the players.

BaldwinLegend

And on it goes... Rossi was sold because he isn't, and won't be, good enough to be a first team regular at United. Some people are happy to live with that and contribute to the team from the bench, Rossi didn't want to. Whatever - the bottom line is, he wasn't good enough. He isn't the type of player we currently need, and I certainly don't see him being able to knock in 20 PL goals a season when he plays for another PL club.

About the 'winter of discontent' thing... It's total bollocks.

I know people on here are thick, but are their memories really so short? There's a defining factor to this season's transfer market, and it's called Euro 2008. Nobody is going to sell until after it...

Look at previous tournaments - we've bought Rooney and Rio immediately after they had great tournaments.

We're PL and CL champions - we'll buy this summer. It'll probably be big, and it'll definitely be after Euro 2008.

Enjoy the summer, watch the games at Euro 2008, and be happy in the knowledge that Fergie will be very likely trying to entice the stars of the tournament to United when it's over.

Ekeke

Rossi was played in a 4-5-1... And if he "wasnt good enough" how come SAF claims he "made sure" to put a buyback clause on him? SAF also claimed he'd be as good a player as Rooney and Ronaldo.

Its simple. He was good enough but didnt see how he'd get enough first team football to develop as a player this season. So he moved on and did it elsewhere.

We'll see the same thing happen with most of our talented young players who come through - its not because they arent or wont be good enough, but because our squad is so full with 'frist team' players. The only ones who will come through and break into the first team, given enough chances to keep developing without loan moves will be phenoms like Rooney and Messi. And they dont come about often.

MehdiMahdavikia

He seemed to fall out of favour at Villarreal at the end of last season, it'll be interesting to see him in the Champions League next season.

Kelvin

our lack of movements in the transfer market is worrying. :nervous:

I don't understand why Gill said any moves will only be made after Euro 2008.:annoyed:

VoetbalWizard

our lack of movements in the transfer market is worrying. :nervous:

I don't understand why Gill said any moves will only be made after Euro 2008.:annoyed:
moves will be concluded after euro 08. however initial negotiations and groundwork i am sure are being done now.

everyone needs to calm down. we don't need much. at the very least, all we need is a striker. and there are a lot of quality strikers on the market this summer so it won't be an issue in getting one.

Ekeke

He seemed to fall out of favour at Villarreal at the end of last season, it'll be interesting to see him in the Champions League next season.
Due to not getting a run of games and his form back after his injury. It did hamper his season, like Rooney's hampered his. Rossi scored 10 goals in the first half of the season, but after his injury he came back to a side where Nihat was playing his best stuff for 6 years and banging the goals in. He still finished second top scorer for his club though despite the missing chunks of the season.

anything about now

MUFC lad living in a matriel world
Rubbish - Roeder is a very fair guy who's an excellent judge of young players. He gave Rossi chances and he didn't deliver. That's what life is like in the PL.
I think some people overrate Rossi and I also wish he had stayed, but tbf Roeder only gave him about 3 minutes per match. Hardly what you call chances.

Maybe if he lit up the Premiership then we would have kept him and kicked Smith out the door quicker.

BaldwinLegend

I think some people overrate Rossi and I also wish he had stayed, but tbf Roeder only gave him about 3 minutes per match. Hardly what you call chances.

Maybe if he lit up the Premiership then we would have kept him and kicked Smith out the door quicker.
Maybe if he'd lit up training sessions at Newcastle Roeder would have played him more.