Summer Transfer Window

croadyman

The Hojlund money plus the Mount money could've gotten us Osimhen

Or, the Hojlund money plus half the Mount money probably could've gotten us Lautaro

I don't know about you, but I'd have happily taken Osimhen or Lautaro on their own over Hojlund plus Mount.
There was no way Napoli were selling Osimhen this summer,just look how much they turned away from Saudi. He could end up signing within next couple of years though. Lautaro has clearly not impressed Utd enough for some reason.

Todd

There was no way Napoli were selling Osimhen this summer,just look how much they turned away from Saudi. He could end up signing within next couple of years though. Lautaro has clearly not impressed Utd enough for some reason.
Didn't they say 130 million Euro and they'd let him go? That would've been doable for us with the Hojlund and Mount money combined. I think he'd have been worth it. Strong and fast, deadly in the box, can score with both feet and his head, and he's the type of guy that is comfortable being the main man to be relied upon up top.

croadyman

Didn't they say 130 million Euro and they'd let him go? That would've been doable for us with the Hojlund and Mount money combined. I think he'd have been worth it. Strong and fast, deadly in the box, can score with both feet and his head, and he's the type of guy that is comfortable being the main man to be relied upon up top.
Nah pretty sure it was higher than that but someone more knowledgeable can confirm

marktan

Could be good if Regulion and fit in. I like both of those more than our signings of Mount and Hojlund.

Hojlund I think will be semi decent, because he likes to make the run off the shoulder and Bruno, Rash and Antony will be able to put that ball in. But he's not a clinical finisher yet so won't get as many goals as we need. Hold up play looked semi good too so hopefully that side of his game shows up for us.

Todd

Nah pretty sure it was higher than that but someone more knowledgeable can confirm
The articles I'm finding just now are all saying either 140 or 150 million, so maybe I was wrong. Still, that's about 130 million pound at the high end, which is just about the sum of the Hojlund and Mount fees combined. It's hard to imagine Napoli turning down a 120 million pound offer, and we should have tested their resolve.

DiMaria

For good reason. Osimhen on the other hand would have been a great signing but unlikely Napoli would have sold this window yes.

Hughie77

Mount? Was he what we needed, imo no a full on top quality proven Striker ie Harry Kane or a player like that. Amarabat OK a player that could work , Onana yes new keeper , loanee left back was a rush job because of injuries. Hojlund I just hope this kid is going to score at least 15 goals this season.
Getafe have got one I suppose that could well get double figures. Utd have thrown the baby out with the bath water hey ho has long as the commercial partners are happy.. let's hope the new guys fit in quick.

Hughie77

The articles I'm finding just now are all saying either 140 or 150 million, so maybe I was wrong. Still, that's about 130 million pound at the high end, which is just about the sum of the Hojlund and Mount fees combined. It's hard to imagine Napoli turning down a 120 million pound offer, and we should have tested their resolve.
Agreed but ETH hasn't, and with the players that have gone out, the board has just put huge pressure on Hojlund as the one who everyone will expect to score enough goals this season?
Mount Transfer which was the first one imo wasn't the one they should have made. Has he made the England squad??

Jacob

Strongest XI:

Onana
AWB - - - - - - - Varane - - - - - Martinez - - - - - - - -Reguillon
Casemiro - - - - - - - Amrabat
Mount - - - - - - - - - - - Bruno - - - - - - - - - Rashford
Højlund​

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
We needed a more energetic midfielder to take the load off Eriksen. Mount was that player. Writing him off/saying he doesn't fit the system after just 2 competitive games is insane.

A month or so ago everyone was saying this was a 7/8 out of 10 window, now because we've started badly it's a terrible window all of a sudden?
What are you doing, poster? Was that an intentionally sensible post? In here?

Tincanalley

I think we've desperately needed a window like this to reset the image of the club after the mismanagement under Woodward.

For too long now, everybody has looked at United as easy marks. There's a United tax that gets applied to every transfer fee, and a United bonus that gets applied to every salary.

We've also been awful negotiators because selling clubs have known that we get obsessed with particular players and rarely look at 2nd or 3rd options if the price gets too high (Maguire, Fellaini, De Jong, Antony, etc).

The fact that we're now walking away from our targets and putting in derisory loan bids is exactly what we've needed to do for years. It may mean that summer 2023 is a difficult window, but winter 2024 and summer 2024 will be significantly easier as a result. Selling clubs are going to need to start meeting us halfway if they want to get paid for their players. No more of United just paying whatever the initial asking price is.

I know that there's a lot of negativity about Murtough and Arnold right now. But they're like a responsible government that's course correcting for the previous government's mistakes - it's going to hurt their reputation in the short term, but will hopefully be recognised for the good they do in the long term.
Wow. More sensible posting! What’s happening?

Tincanalley

Decent window. I’d say the club are fairly happy. Even Greenwood thing fixed for the moment. Now I know there is a bit of a question mark around how Mount fits in… But to me he always looked a respectable footballer. It will be fascinating to see ETH putting a new midfield, with Amrabat, Mainoo etc… We have been horribly unlucky with back four injuries… at least Regulion seems a decent stop gap.

Hopefully all this endeavour and theorising and tweaking and twiddling eventually pays off. I’m praying for a moment when this version of United clicks, and hammers some opponent. In the meantime, would be delicious to see Rasmus Hø score on his debut at Arsenal.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
So in terms of positions being strengthened, something like....

GK - De Gea, Heaton, Butland > Onana, Altay, Heaton

#6 - Casemiro, Fred, McTominay, > Casemiro, Amrabat, McTominay

#8 - Bruno, Eriksen, Fred, Sabitzer > Bruno, Mount, Amrabat, Eriksen

CF - Martial, Weghorst > Hojlund, Martial

And Mainoo coming into the squad while Elanga leaves.

I'd say that's a pretty clear improvement.

croadyman

The problem was Erik couldn't see a cheaper better fit than Mount,therefore didn't have the budget to test their resolve. Really surprised that Chelsea didn't give it a proper go as they need a 9 and don't give a toss about FFP.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
So in terms of positions being strengthened, something like....

GK - De Gea, Heaton, Butland > Onana, Altay, Heaton

#6 - Casemiro, Fred, McTominay, > Casemiro, Amrabat, McTominay

#8 - Bruno, Eriksen, Fred, Sabitzer > Bruno, Mount, Amrabat, Eriksen

CF - Martial, Weghorst > Hojlund, Martial

And Mainoo coming into the squad while Elanga leaves.

I'd say that's a pretty clear improvement.
I think the major issue last season was our goalscoring. Which I don’t think we have done enough to address.

We have definitely improved the squad though.

bosskeano

Strongest XI:

Onana
AWB - - - - - - - Varane - - - - - Martinez - - - - - - - -Reguillon
Casemiro - - - - - - - Amrabat
Mount - - - - - - - - - - - Bruno - - - - - - - - - Rashford
Højlund​
that would be the right fit if we had a RB that was good going forward which AWB is not....it would allow Mount to play an inside forward with Bruno much like he did with Chelsea

Telsim

Ended up being a 5/10 window. If the goal is to close the distance to City, Arsenal, and Europe's elite, then I don't think we have moved at all towards that. It's a squad set up for challenging Top 5 and some cups, but not serious competition.

GazTheLegend

I think it's clear our targets in the window were Goalkeeper as a priority, followed by a striker, a midfielder, and at the end of the window a left back became our BIGGEST priority because of injuries. To that end I'd say we at least achieved a B in all those areas.

Onana is I think an upgrade on de Gea. Mount should really be cover for Bruno/Eriksen so that is a success in some ways, the best we could do for 60m outside of Maddison arguably - but the juries out on which is better really. Reguilon is a desperation signing at left back - but we got one over the line at least. And Amrabat is probably about the best CM we could have hoped for in the end.

The big question mark for me is Hojlund, but with the scarcity of strikers out there it's a tough market. Evan Ferguson at Brighton is the other name people mention and he's a real talent as he's proving today, but how much would they have asked for him in the market right now? Are there ANY strikers that we could have signed for sub 100m that might be considered a starter for any side wanting to win the premier league?

croadyman

I think it's clear our targets in the window were Goalkeeper as a priority, followed by a striker, a midfielder, and at the end of the window a left back became our BIGGEST priority because of injuries. To that end I'd say we at least achieved a B in all those areas.

Onana is I think an upgrade on de Gea. Mount should really be cover for Bruno/Eriksen so that is a success in some ways, the best we could do for 60m outside of Maddison arguably - but the juries out on which is better really. Reguilon is a desperation signing at left back - but we got one over the line at least. And Amrabat is probably about the best CM we could have hoped for in the end.

The big question mark for me is Hojlund, but with the scarcity of strikers out there it's a tough market. Evan Ferguson at Brighton is the other name people mention and he's a real talent as he's proving today, but how much would they have asked for him in the market right now? Are there ANY strikers that we could have signed for sub 100m that might be considered a starter for any side wanting to win the premier league?
We could have really tested their resolve for Ferguson if we had gone for cheaper Bruno backup and not turned down £60m for M&M