Summer Transfers

Cina

To be fair, we United aren't exactly proving him wrong. In our games this season, we haven't exactly been great in midfield. A lot of teams have dominated our central two. I know we're still in the running for the title, but our midfield really needs freshening.
It's not even about proving me wrong seeing as everything he claims I've said is total bullshit :lol:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Against the best teams our midfield has still been really exposed. We bet Spurs on Saturday because Ferdinand and Evans were immense, and 2 moments of brilliance from Young, our midfield was frankly, taken apart at times.

Scholes and Giggsy are ancient, Fletcher is diseased, Pogba might not stay, Morrison left, Ando is fat. Cleverly is made of glass. Jones isn't even a midfielder.

Carrick is literally our only guarantee there and he's 31 next year.

Our success in the last few years, and continued success is because the rest of our team is so good that it has masked the frailties in the midfield.
Point taken, but they're still our players and we've done quite well with them to date. If Fergie thought they were insufficient surely he would have addressed it last summer. The fact that he didn't seem particularly desperate to do so suggests he is comfortable with the current squad plus Scholes. If Fletch can't return and Scholsey reretires, then yes of course it would make sense for Fergie to invest to address the deficit.

Cina

Point taken, but they're still our players and we've done quite well with them to date. If Fergie thought they were insufficient surely he would have addressed it last summer. The fact that he didn't seem particularly desperate to do so suggests he is comfortable with the current squad plus Scholes. If Fletch can't return and Scholsey reretires, then yes of course it would make sense for Fergie to invest to address the deficit.
Well we did try to sign Sneijder and Nasri, that's pretty well known at this stage, so I don't think he thought it was good enough. I doubt bringing Scholes back from retirement was something he expected to be doing either.

I'm not saying our midfield is crap or anything, on paper it is good, but there are just so many risks in it that I think we just have to go and sign someone we can rely on, like (in dreamland) Modric.

Like I said, we have such strong defenders, wingers and forwards that we will continue to challenge, but that's no reason not to address the midfield, especially for Europe where it has been more exposed than anywhere else.

ryan_forlan

Gullible
we do need a midfielder, that will allow us to play through the middle sometimes. we do need that. with scholesy and cleverly in the picture, i hope we sign a fletcher replacement.
i also want us to let go of berba and owen and get a world class forward.like cavani. i know we have good players in welbeck and chicha. but i feel fergie likes to have 4 class forwards.
so even with a strike force of rooney, cavani, chicha and welbeck, we will be able to give enough chances to chicha and welbeck. danny can be the #1 replacement in the starting line up and chicha can be the #1 sub. they obviously will be back ups for the lesser games.
a top class forward might not be a pressing need, but i feel having two world class forwards is not too much. it still will be fair on our other forwards.

imagine the line-up:
lindegaard
rafael rio vidic evra
---carrick--CM----
valencia-------nani
-----wazza--------
--------cavani-----

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Owen will go as we just cant fit him into the 25 man squad anymore
Amos will go out on loan

25 man squad will be

De Gea
Lindegaard
Rafael
Fabio
Evans
Ferdinand
Vidic
Smalling
Evra
Nani
Valencia
Park
Young
Giggs
Scholes
Carrick
Anderson
Fletcher
Cleverley
Welbeck
Rooney
Hernandez
Berbatov

That then leaves us with the option of 1 or 2 signings (Jones not listed as he wont have to be registered for the PL)

I think we'd be insane to go another season without signing a central midfielder but then everyone thought that last summer and the summer before that as well so who knows

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
There's only 2 keepers there. That's no good.
Wonder if Sam Johnstone is ready to be 3rd choice..not sure about that just yet especially as both our keepers are prone to pick up injuries.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
We need a fecking midfielder, at least someone who can cover for Carrick when he's being rested or he's injured. We've played Park there, and brought a retired Scholes back FFS.

Donut

Fergie likes to keep things fresh, so I think there's going to be one surprise departure. Someone like Park or Anderson, who'll get replaced with a young exciting player.

Also, sell the deadwood: De Laet, Kuzschak, Macheda.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
We have a shortlist of targets, and we'll buy whichever of them we can get for a price we deem appropriate. Regardless of their position.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I'm not that fussed if we don't sign someone this summer, assuming next season our injuries clear up and Fletcher's back.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Get sahin from the bench in madrid.

Potential world class and not getting a kick in spain!

Would compliment carrick perfectly.

If he isnt a option then dembele from fulham.

Definitely ready for a step up a class IMO

charlenefan

There's only 2 keepers there. That's no good.
Oh dear you obviously failed to read the part where I say Amos goes out on loan didn't you? If Amos goes out on loan it allows a younger keeper under the age of 21 to become third choice hence why no third keeper is listed

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Get sahin from the bench in madrid.

Potential world class and not getting a kick in spain!

Would compliment carrick perfectly.

If he isnt a option then dembele from fulham.

Definitely ready for a step up a class IMO
Sahin isn't even physicly ready for La liga, most of the RM games he isn't even on the bench, so I don't see how could he compete with the likes of Cleverley, Giggs, Scholes, and Anderson in our team.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Sahin isn't even physicly ready for La liga, most of the RM games he isn't even on the bench, so I don't see how could he compete with the likes of Cleverley, Giggs, Scholes, and Anderson in our team.
Well that is BS. yes he has had a injury to overcome, but he isnt being included purely because his other squad players are doing the business.

Are you telling me La liga is more physical than the bundasliga? a league he dominated from CM? do me a favour :lol:

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Well that is BS. yes he has had a injury to overcome, but he isnt being included purely because his other squad players are doing the business.

Are you telling me La liga is more physical than the bundasliga? a league he dominated from CM? do me a favour :lol:
You didn't do your self any favor there. Even if you are right(but you are not, since Mourinho said that he isn't injured, it's just he isn't physicly ready), my point is still valid. Why do we need a player who can't compete with the likes of Khedira, Lass Diarra or even Coentrao?

As for pysical, those are Mourinho's words, he probably knows more about football than our both.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho says Nuri Sahin needs to show more to get back into his squad.

Sahin's absence has upset his Turkish fans after he returned to the national team last week.

Mourinho said: "No offence, but Real Madrid is a much better team than the Turkish national side. Club sides are better than national teams and it's easier to play regularly for your country's team than for your club because the teams are stronger.

"It's great news for us that Sahin did well and he can do even more if he continues to have a great preseason and to grow with the team. We're in no condition to kid around and use players who, in my opinion, aren't as productive as others right now."
This proves he can't compete with the likes of Diarra, Khedira, Granero or even Coentrao, therefore I don't see how will he compete with Anderson, Cleverley, Scholes, Giggs, or Fletcher.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Oh dear you obviously failed to read the part where I say Amos goes out on loan didn't you? If Amos goes out on loan it allows a younger keeper under the age of 21 to become third choice hence why no third keeper is listed
I read that part. Hence me saying two keepers. That's 3rd keeper you want won't cut it. Amos is much better than what's beneath him in the age racket and he's not even good enough.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If Owen and Berbatov do leave, I would like to see Demba Ba join. I'm sure the media will be expecting a playmaker to join too but I reckon that could come down to how Cleverley does for the rest of the season and if Scholes stays on. I do believe Scholes will stay though.
Hope not would rather have a 2nd striker type sign if Berba leaves as we have Rooney Wellbeck and Hernandez that can all play up top.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
I Expect Madrid to start wooing Aguero (and if they have any sense Silva too), Aguero to then spend next season doing the usual second season for a big star player at City (try and get a loan or do one whilst still getting paid by them), City themselves will get in Sneijder and maybe Ibrahomovic with Ballotelli going the other way. I expect a huge investment from Chelsea on players, the likes of Modric and one of the the three tenors of Napoli as well as a another defender. Arsenal will get in a few players, a attacking midfielder (Gourcuff maybe) and a striker. As for us, I reckon we will bring the number 7 back out of it's current state of limbo. It's funny we gave the number 7 to Owen I think to remove soe of the expectations on the number yet because of it's absence I reckon it has hyped it up like mad.

charlenefan

I read that part. Hence me saying two keepers. That's 3rd keeper you want won't cut it. Amos is much better than what's beneath him in the age racket and he's not even good enough.
And how often over the past 10 years have we ever had to resort to using our third choice keeper? Once this season when I'm sure if push came to shove De Gea could of played had Fergie not been questioning his form.

For years we've had youth team goal keepers as third choice, Steele, Heaton, Amos it's nothing out of the ordinary.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I think we will sign Gaitan. Others depend on departures.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
And how often over the past 10 years have we ever had to resort to using our third choice keeper? Once this season when I'm sure if push came to shove De Gea could of played had Fergie not been questioning his form.

For years we've had youth team goal keepers as third choice, Steele, Heaton, Amos it's nothing out of the ordinary.
A lot of times actually. When VDS got injured Foster followed him into injury. Kuzsczak was our third choice then. This season we've been using three keepers. Last season we used three keepers. There's a reason SAF does this.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
I want Rodwell and Dembele.

charlenefan

A lot of times actually. When VDS got injured Foster followed him into injury. Kuzsczak was our third choice then. This season we've been using three keepers. Last season we used three keepers. There's a reason SAF does this.
Okay I'll give you when Foster was at the club but last season we only used 3 keepers once Lindegaard was bought and this season when we've used Amos again we could quite easily have used Lindegaard or De Gea. We dont need fill our 25 man squad with 3 keepers :nono:

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
out: nani park berba owen pogba tommy k
in: rodwell gaitan eriksen bale

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Okay I'll give you when Foster was at the club but last season we only used 3 keepers once Lindegaard was bought and this season when we've used Amos again we could quite easily have used Lindegaard or De Gea. We dont need fill our 25 man squad with 3 keepers :nono:
Doesn't Amos qualify as home grown and under 21? So shouldn't take up space?

We desperately need a midfielder. I'm another doomsayer that has been harping on about this since we bought Hargreaves (at which point I was satisfied...if only I'd known).

All those saying what a great season we're having - erm - it's likely to be the first in years that we've literally not a pot to piss in (you could try on the CS, but it'd be messy). If we somehow pip City to the title that will be two consecutive years of performing pretty crappily in the league but being better than the other crap around us.

Anyone who watches us over the past 18 months and thinks we're even a shade on the 2006/07 team - much less the teams of the 90's is mental. We're functional and have great belief - but we're not up to our own high standards.

It's definitely Glazernomics so I know we might as well get used to it, but still. Anyone who thinks a decent midfielder under the age of 37 wouldn't improve our team is crazy.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Out: Pogba, Owen, Berbatov, Anderson, De Laet, Macheda, Kuszczak and Bébé.

In: Cabaye, Rodwell, and some youth players I've never heard of.

Phil

Out: Pogba, Anderson? Scholes?
In: Young striker, defender

And repeat :)

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
out: nani park berba owen (possibly Pogba)
in: rodwell gaitan eriksen (if Pogba leaves)
So the reports of Nani's new contract are far off the mark? Or is it to raise his price before this summer exit?

Longlivekeano

I think we should beef up midfield. Names we should consider are Luka Modric (Scholes replacement), Clint Dempsey (Park J S replacement), an 18-19 year old teenage prodigy from Europe or promote at least one of your youngsters such as Petrucci, Tunnicliffe to take up Gibbo's squad role and play in League Cup games.