Sunday may possibly be the last game for these players

I agree with the sentiment of the OP. However, the players that should be going shouldn’t be anywhere near the squad on Sunday. I really hope that Rojo, Valencia, Sanchez and Darmian are off, and they don’t deserve to be in the team on Sunday.

I hope it’s not the last game for Pogba and DDG.

fallengt

Phil fecking Jones somehow has survived all of these "supposed rebuilds".
If he ever writes his autobiography , I'll love to read it.

trafford1980

Keeping the likes of Jones isn't a problem if he's third/fourth/fifth in line for his position.

It's not his fault that there have been successive Manager's who have attempted and failed to have him replaced in the first eleven.

First LVG sold Evans and Keane, before signing Rojo and Blind. And then Mourinho signed both Bailly and Lindelof too. We bought four centre-backs in four seasons, and spent over 60 mil on the last two.

So it's not as if the club doesn't realise that he's not good enough to be a nailed-on starter, they just keep buying awfully.

I'm personally much more disappointed in Bailly and Rojo, and would rather they both left before the likes of Jones & Smalling.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Hopefully it's a last game for many of the players and also start of their career for few young players.

Keeping the likes of Jones isn't a problem if he's third/fourth/fifth in line for his position.

It's not his fault that there have been successive Manager's who have attempted and failed to have him replaced in the first eleven.

First LVG sold Evans and Keane, before signing Rojo and Blind. And then Mourinho signed both Bailly and Lindelof too. We bought four centre-backs in four seasons, and spent over 60 mil on the last two.

So it's not as if the club doesn't realise that he's not good enough to be a nailed-on starter, they just keep buying awfully.

I'm personally much more disappointed in Bailly and Rojo, and would rather they both left before the likes of Jones & Smalling.
Completely agree. We all know Jones is not good enough to be a first team CB for us, but Rojo, and Bailly are complete liabilities.

Even if, we had a massive cull, we still need 20+ squad players. We don’t need every player to be world class, and we need players who can come in and do a job, and that’s what I see Jones being able to do. Rojo, Darmian, Valencia and Bailly to go before Jones. How many appearances have they actually made between them this season?!

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Completely agree. We all know Jones is not good enough to be a first team CB for us, but Rojo, and Bailly are complete liabilities.

Even if, we had a massive cull, we still need 20+ squad players. We don’t need every player to be world class, and we need players who can come in and do a job, and that’s what I see Jones being able to do. Rojo, Darmian, Valencia and Bailly to go before Jones. How many appearances have they actually made between them this season?!
Yep, all 3 are sick notes and liabilities. I'd much rather get rid of all 3 and hold on to Smalling, Lindelof, recall Tuanzebe & sign another CB.

Von Mistelroum

I think the majority of those will still be here next season. I can't see our owners investing too heavily and we will need a squad at least. I fully expect the likes of Jones, Young, Sanchez etc to stay.

Charlie Yu

How do these two always survive. Two jokers and sadly one has become the captain. He is everything I hate about the present united side. I didn't even have so much problem with Fellaini. Young should be sold, feck having him as a squad player. Cannot stand him as a player for us.
Cheap wages, English players, actually passionate despite not good enough.

hubbuh

Am I the only person on here who wants Smalling gone more than Jones? Don't get me wrong, I want Jones gone this summer but he sits down the list near Mata and Rojo. Smalling is right up there with the likes of Sanchez, Martial and Young.

My order of preference:

1. Sanchez - he is no longer a professional footballer and his wage has destroyed any chance of balance in our squad or in our dealings with other clubs.

2. Martial - his attitude is toxic. He has as much natural ability as anyone in the squad but is the laziest, most unlikeable and obstinate arsehole I've ever seen in a United shirt. Give me a pair of old Puma Kings and a few cases of Lucazade Sport and I'd kick his hole down the road to whatever club is stupid enough to take him myself.

3. Young and Valencia - Our leaders and role models. Two geriatric wingers doing a shit impression of fullbacks. One is most memorable for spending a decade in a country without learning the language and the other for being shit in the mouth by a bird. Abject, forgettable and the furthest things from Manchester United captains that I can possibly imagine.

4. Smalling. He's shit - unbelievably shit. He has stolen a career by being injured for long enough while all our other shit defenders are being shit that people forget how shit he is and start convincing themselves he's good. But he isn't. He's shit. At everything except scoring own goals with his wrong foot.

5. Lukaku - For as long as I can remember, Manchester United have had an amazing centre forward, often multiple at the same time. For this lumbering oaf to be our focal point, flouncing about in our shirt, pinging every ball he receives at the nearest defender and still insisting on playing with his back to goal enrages me every single game.

6. Darmian - Not good enough, never was and never will be. Put the poor lad out of his misery and strike those fecking sideburns from any form of published history.

7. Matic - he's finished. Was a good player and I liked him but his legs are gone.

8. Mata - Nice guy. Too nice though and too ineffectual to be of any use to us moving forward (had been the case for a long time really). For every wonderful game winning performance we plod through 30 where you forget he's even on the field.

9. Rojo - there's a player in there somewhere. The problem is the lunatic he shares a body with. Complete liability who should probably be kept 50 metres from professional athletes at all times for insurance purposes.

10. Jones - Read same as above, only much less sinister and far, far funnier. I'll be honest - I have a soft spot for Jones for delivering many of the only pieces of actual entertainment over the last several years of abject doom and gloom. He tries hard in fairness to the lad, so he's already better than Smalling. There's no bad in him so he's better than Rojo. It's not his fault that someone told him he could be a Manchester United footballer. He's one of the few players I'd stand up for and say he's given every bit of what he has for the shirt every time. Unfortunately what he has is the body of that computer game athlete you control with the letter keys.

Pogba flits between the top 3 of this list and somewhere between 8th and 11th depending on his latest performance and how much sleep I got last night.
:lol: very well put.

TRUERED89

I still want to give Martial another chance, he's our top scorer of this current crop. Get rid of Sanchez, Young, Rojo, Jones, Matic, Mata, Lukaku. That's 7 players, should be enough, relegate Lingard to the bench and get in some quality/dedicated players.

cyril C

We won't be losing 10 player or more even if we could do with it. At most 6 or 7.

Young, Jones and Smalling will all still be here in August. We can only hope it's as squad players only.
Agree. Lukaku can still fit into the team if he lose a few KG of muscle. Matic can work on his fitness and perhaps only play 1 game a week. Rojo should be on the list, Bailey might stay on for 1 more season obviously to become 5th choice.

marko goalo

Agree. Lukaku can still fit into the team if he lose a few KG of muscle. Matic can work on his fitness and perhaps only play 1 game a week. Rojo should be on the list, Bailey might stay on for 1 more season obviously to become 5th choice.
Lukaku has had the best part of 9 months to shed some of that muscle and as far as I can tell he hasn't lost any. All he's done is get even less fit

dogwithabone

I don't understand why people keep asking for Jones to be sold. You don't sell players who are United through and through. What you end up with is players like Pogba and Martial who care more about the name on the back of the shirt than the badge on the front. Jones is an example to everyone for the kind of effort that is expected from each and every player. He may not be the best defender in the world, but he's also not meant to be a starter. As a 3rd or 4th choice he is fine. If all our "super stars" put in half the effort that Jones does we would be a hell of a lot further up the table than we currently are...

Absolutely right.

He’s a bit erratic but puts his body on the line and is as committed as any player anywhere. Getting shot of him would be madness when you’re trying to get back to basics and build a squad of footballers with the required desire to represent Manchester United.

dogwithabone

You do if you want to win trophies....

Name some players then who you’d replace Jones with. Remember you’re looking for a totally committed squad player, someone who doesn’t go running to their agent the minute they’re left out and someone who clearly cares about the club he’s playing for.

As a third or fourth choice centre back with those credentials I’m genuinely struggling to think of anyone who you could trade Jones for on a like for like basis.

el3mel

Name some players then who you’d replace Jones with. Remember you’re looking for a totally committed squad player, someone who doesn’t go running to their agent the minute they’re left out and someone who clearly cares about the club he’s playing for.

As a third or fourth choice centre back with those credentials I’m genuinely struggling to think of anyone who you could trade Jones for on a like for like basis.
Tuanzebe.

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
I don't understand why people keep asking for Jones to be sold. You don't sell players who are United through and through. What you end up with is players like Pogba and Martial who care more about the name on the back of the shirt than the badge on the front. Jones is an example to everyone for the kind of effort that is expected from each and every player. He may not be the best defender in the world, but he's also not meant to be a starter. As a 3rd or 4th choice he is fine. If all our "super stars" put in half the effort that Jones does we would be a hell of a lot further up the table than we currently are...
Absolutely right.

He’s a bit erratic but puts his body on the line and is as committed as any player anywhere. Getting shot of him would be madness when you’re trying to get back to basics and build a squad of footballers with the required desire to represent Manchester United.
This is mad.

Simply put, you get rid of Jones for the same reasons Ole got rid of Fellaini. Fellaini played the style of the football that was everything against United principles. Similarly with Jones, he’s terrible and does a disservice footballing wise to United standards.

And enough with the “United through and through”. Fellaini was more “United through and through” than virtually any squad player. He wore the badge on his sleeve and showed his passion every time he was out there but it doesn’t mean we shouldn’t have gotten rid of him. We did, and likewise we should Jones. Lucky bastard is fortunate he’s English. Literally the only stupid reason for keeping him around. I bet if Fellaini was he’d still be here as well.

...and the thing with right attitude is it can’t be the only thing. Just as skill can’t be the only thing. There needs to be a mix of both. For the same reasons spoiled players shouldn’t be here who are talented but lazy in terms of effort, we can’t have the flip side of effort players who aren’t reliable and don’t even know the fundamentals of the game. No 1 side is better than the other. There has to be some sort of balance and again why we got rid of Fellaini because he didn’t fit with the style of football/fundamentals United are accustomed to and the same should apply to Jones. My hope is that he is sold so there’s no hypocrisy to this approach of clearing out the misfits but I doubt it due to his nationality - makes no sense at all, never understood it. Will probably walk as will Young and Smalling when their contracts are up

Giggs86

Hope most of these feckers will do their lap of dishonor with their luggage in their hands.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
This is mad.

Simply put, you get rid of Jones for the same reasons Ole got rid of Fellaini. Fellaini played the style of the football that was everything against United principles. Similarly with Jones, he’s terrible and does a disservice footballing wise to United standards.

And enough with the “United through and through”. Fellaini was more “United through and through” than virtually any squad player. He wore the badge on his sleeve and showed his passion every time he was out there but it doesn’t mean we shouldn’t have gotten rid of him. We did, and likewise we should Jones. Lucky bastard is fortunate he’s English. Literally the only stupid reason for keeping him around. I bet if Fellaini was he’d still be here as well.

...and the thing with right attitude is it can’t be the only thing. Just as skill can’t be the only thing. There needs to be a mix of both. For the same reasons spoiled players shouldn’t be here who are talented but lazy in terms of effort, we can’t have the flip side of effort players who aren’t reliable and don’t even know the fundamentals of the game. No 1 side is better than the other. There has to be some sort of balance and again why we got rid of Fellaini because he didn’t fit with the style of football/fundamentals United are accustomed to and the same should apply to Jones. My hope is that he is sold so there’s no hypocrisy to this approach of clearing out the misfits but I doubt it due to his nationality - makes no sense at all, never understood it. Will probably walk as will Young and Smalling when their contracts are up
If you weren't exagerating about how poor he is, I would completely agree with you...

Am I the only person on here who wants Smalling gone more than Jones? Don't get me wrong, I want Jones gone this summer but he sits down the list near Mata and Rojo. Smalling is right up there with the likes of Sanchez, Martial and Young.

My order of preference:

1. Sanchez - he is no longer a professional footballer and his wage has destroyed any chance of balance in our squad or in our dealings with other clubs.

2. Martial - his attitude is toxic. He has as much natural ability as anyone in the squad but is the laziest, most unlikeable and obstinate arsehole I've ever seen in a United shirt. Give me a pair of old Puma Kings and a few cases of Lucazade Sport and I'd kick his hole down the road to whatever club is stupid enough to take him myself.

3. Young and Valencia - Our leaders and role models. Two geriatric wingers doing a shit impression of fullbacks. One is most memorable for spending a decade in a country without learning the language and the other for being shit in the mouth by a bird. Abject, forgettable and the furthest things from Manchester United captains that I can possibly imagine.

4. Smalling. He's shit - unbelievably shit. He has stolen a career by being injured for long enough while all our other shit defenders are being shit that people forget how shit he is and start convincing themselves he's good. But he isn't. He's shit. At everything except scoring own goals with his wrong foot.

5. Lukaku - For as long as I can remember, Manchester United have had an amazing centre forward, often multiple at the same time. For this lumbering oaf to be our focal point, flouncing about in our shirt, pinging every ball he receives at the nearest defender and still insisting on playing with his back to goal enrages me every single game.

6. Darmian - Not good enough, never was and never will be. Put the poor lad out of his misery and strike those fecking sideburns from any form of published history.

7. Matic - he's finished. Was a good player and I liked him but his legs are gone.

8. Mata - Nice guy. Too nice though and too ineffectual to be of any use to us moving forward (had been the case for a long time really). For every wonderful game winning performance we plod through 30 where you forget he's even on the field.

9. Rojo - there's a player in there somewhere. The problem is the lunatic he shares a body with. Complete liability who should probably be kept 50 metres from professional athletes at all times for insurance purposes.

10. Jones - Read same as above, only much less sinister and far, far funnier. I'll be honest - I have a soft spot for Jones for delivering many of the only pieces of actual entertainment over the last several years of abject doom and gloom. He tries hard in fairness to the lad, so he's already better than Smalling. There's no bad in him so he's better than Rojo. It's not his fault that someone told him he could be a Manchester United footballer. He's one of the few players I'd stand up for and say he's given every bit of what he has for the shirt every time. Unfortunately what he has is the body of that computer game athlete you control with the letter keys.

Pogba flits between the top 3 of this list and somewhere between 8th and 11th depending on his latest performance and how much sleep I got last night.
Hell Of a post :lol:

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
If you weren't exagerating about how poor he is, I would completely agree with you...
He doesn’t fit with us.

Fellaini wasn’t terrible for us either, in fact he was the vocal point of our attack at times and was a last minute go to option. Exaggeration or not, I just want the point to get across that certain players just aren’t United calibre. Jones is one of them.

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7

My order of preference:

Feck me :lol::lol::lol:

Screw Shaw, this right here is the true POTY (post of the year) :lol:

Pughnichi

Possibly they'll play their last game this Sunday, which will be pointless and disappointing if Ole choose that.

Why waste another game to let 'em play for a farewell match, they got plenty more than enough chances before this.

How about concentrate on future and squad building -- try the youths and see how they fit in.
Absolutely bang on. I’d love to see...

DeGea
Dalot. Smalling Lindelof Shaw
Garner
Pogba Gomes
Chong Rashford
Greenwood

We probably underestimate that these lads have played a lot together and won’t look like they’ve never played together. Nothing to lose

cyril C

Lukaku has had the best part of 9 months to shed some of that muscle and as far as I can tell he hasn't lost any. All he's done is get even less fit
You need to maintain body fat and energy level during the season so can't possibly do anything on diet or body fat or muscle. It has to be done during season break, if he wants to do it.

Sanchez on the other hand had more than 12 months to improve his fitness and form.....

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Honestly think we just have to pay Sanchez to leave, yes it will probably cost us 20million to get him off the books, but its toxic to have that guy on the books, you can't have the clubs highest earner been a washed up winger with 3 years left to run on his contract.

We have to learn from the debacle, next time any one suggests making massive financial commitments to players coming close to 30, remember Sanchez!

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Most would be saying the same about Rojo and Bailly if they were English. There is nothing that suggest that Jones loves the club more then the former. All are shit though and should be sold

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Most would be saying the same about Rojo and Bailly if they were English. There is nothing that suggest that Jones loves the club more then the former. All are shit though and should be sold
Agreed. Jones is English, born in Preston and grew up playing for and supporting Blackburn.

He’s never done anything to suggest he’s a United man other than being paid lots of money to play for the club.

wolvored

Phil fecking Jones somehow has survived all of these "supposed rebuilds".
If he ever writes his autobiography , I'll love to read it.
When they were culling the herd...sorry rebuilding they probably had forgot about Jones as he wouldnt have played for the last 3 months due to injury.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Agreed. Jones is English, born in Preston and grew up playing for and supporting Blackburn.

He’s never done anything to suggest he’s a United man other than being paid lots of money to play for the club.
United should have standards (talent, attitude and/not or performance produced on the pitch) that needs to be reached. I can't care less about nationality. I'd take an Ole over a 1000 Joneses

Don't take me wrong we can't and possibly we shouldn't have a squad of 23 WC players. Back in the day we all knew that Blomqvist wasn't Giggs, that Butt wasn't Keane or that Rai Van Del Gouw wasn't Schmeichel. However it is possible to have a top quality first team backed by a squad players that are dependable. When someone spoke defended Butt, Wes or Blomqvist they wouldn't need to recall that game early on in the season, their 'commitment' to the club or that last ditch tackle made 3 years ago. These players would play well almost week in week out whenever they were called to action. They didn't do that because they were 'great servants to the club' or their 'love to the badge'. They did it because failure in doing so would see their arse kicked out of United. That's the minimum standard of playing for Manchester United.

Last edited:

promisedlanchiao

Most of our players who go won’t be missed. I can understand when a player who gives his all and never gives up still isn’t good enough e.g. Jones and Smalling, which is why I will obviously not miss them, but honestly take pity on them once they eventually go. Along with that, they also won a title or two here, in Smalling’s case.

However, what I absolutely resent and cannot stand about many of our players is their utter refusal to even try in most of our games. The list of these players include Martial, Matic (guy barely even jogs every game), Pogba, Rashford, Lukaku, Young (never running and just pumping balls up to Lukaku or Rashford isn’t considered trying) amongst others.

Should we get rid of most—or all these players this upcoming transfer window, I would honestly be delighted. Couldn’t care less if these players are our most talented. If you don’t work as hard as rival star players like Aguero and B. Silva, or Mane and Firmino, you can leave our club as far as i’m concerned.

Bestietom

Herrera -
Strong rumors linking him to PSG. Out of contract in the summer

Mata
Out of contract in the summer. No more of a bit part player these days.

Valencia
Already confirmed his contract will not be renewed.

De Gea
Only 1 year left on his deal. Erratic form of late. Rumors that the club have issued him a sign or leave ultimatum. Is Dave dreaming of a return to Spain.

Lukaku
Form has been poor this season. His agent is flirting with Italy. Doesn't look like Ole truly fancies him. Could be the end of the big guy

Darmian
Who? Wanted to leave last season but his request was refused. Looks odds on to go back to Italy this summer

Wilson
Out of contract in the summer. Been on loan at Aberdeen this season but a return of only 3 goal means it is unlikely Utd will renew his contract

Sanchez
Utd's worst transfer ever. Looks absolutely finished at the top level. For the salary Sanchez is on with no return, the club will be desperate for some mug to take him off their hands.

Pogba
The big summer will he/wont he. Will Zidane come calling. We all know the history of Real tapping up players.

Anyone else I have missed?
Martial, Jones, Rojo, Bailly, Fred, get rid of the lot. Change wage structure and bring in players who will give 120% for this club.

edgecutter

Keeping Jones is a problem when you consider he is 4th or 5th choice on massive wages. What will other players think they should get if they're first choice?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

Depends what money Jones is on. This is the rod we have made for our own backs. If you want to sign a better CB and he knows what Jones is on then he will automatically want more than him.

el3mel

I said like for like. Tuanzebe has a handful of first team games, Jones must have 300.
Tuanzebe will be play more games in the season than Jones if given the same chance in the squad because he won't get fecking injured as much as Jones.