Sunday Times: PM met Ed Woodward, 3 days before the Super League announcement and gave backing for the move

RUCK4444

Absolutely 100% wrong. If the person in charge does a bad job, you vote for someone else. It's the only mechanism there is for punishing someone doing a bad or fraudulent job in a democracy. And then when whoever you voted for to replace them does a bad job you vote for someone else again and repeat ad infinitum. Otherwise there is literally zero incentive to do a good job or to do the right thing.

What you are espousing is the only way to guarantee you'll always have a lying sack of shit representing you because they'll have nothing to fear.
That would make perfect sense however name the last PM to do a brilliant job??

Therefore your belief is admirable and is how it should work, except it doesn’t, they are all puppets and effect absolutely zero effect.

On what grounds would you replace one for another when you know the next one will be exactly the same?

It’s a fallacy. There’s a set amount of money, set laws, set economy etc etc. The game is set and all any of them can do is change minor things, take money away from some to give to others, then they take it back from them and give it back to the first lot when the next party gets in.

It’s an exercise in shuffling money. Policy for NHS and the rest of it. Moving numbers from here to there only to move them back again.

Ibi Dreams

That would make perfect sense however name the last PM to do a brilliant job??

Therefore your belief is admirable and is how it should work, except it doesn’t, they are all puppets and effect absolutely zero effect.

On what grounds would you replace one for another when you know the next one will be exactly the same?

It’s a fallacy. There’s a set amount of money, set laws, set economy etc etc. The game is set and all any of them can do is change minor things, take money away from some to give to others, then they take it back from them and give it back to the first lot when the next party gets in.

It’s an exercise in shuffling money. Policy for NHS and the rest of it. Moving numbers from here to there only to move them back again.
How are they puppets exactly? Who is the puppetmaster? Don't say the media, because that is a symbiotic relationship where both benefit massively from each other

Your post is completely wrong and demonstrative of a really troublesome attitude that we have in the UK.

It simply isn't true that the money, economy and laws are "set". That is exactly what most people in government and most people who benefit from this type of government want you to think. If they create apathy and disinterest then they can keep on doing what they do, nobody will care and they'll make lots of money. The fact is that any government with a good majority could enact many significant and wide ranging laws that would change society massively.

The governments we've had for many, many years haven't done this because they have not been interested in doing so. But if you ask anyone in their 80s they will tell you about the government forming the NHS. Nothing has changed since then in terms of government power, it is still able to do huge things if it wants to.

Over the last year or so we've seen the Tories give away unprecedented amounts of money to the entire population during the covid pandemic. This after they slated Labour for years about their "magic money tree". Where did the money come from? How did they do it? The fact is that the government ALWAYS has that ability, they have just pretended that they don't because they have no interest in spending money on public services and people. The Conservative governments over the last 15 years have cut spending on everything - education, healthcare, youth services, unemployment. Yet over the covid pandemic they've been able to spend an extra £271 billion (https://www.nao.org.uk/covid-19/cost-tracker/). How? Why? They have always been able to spend money, but they have not been interested in doing so until it affected them directly.

It is absolute nonsense to say that the government can't do anything and that everything is the way it must be. The government legislates almost anything it wants. The fact is that we have been ruled for a long time by people who have no interest in making any significant changes, and who have successfully tricked many people into thinking it isn't even possible to do so.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Um, there were a few in here.
A few thought it might be workable if relegation and promotion were possible. Wasn't that the nub of the problem?

Having seen UEFA and FIFA up close, I know how corrupt it really is. But I guess we all do now. I would shed no tears for their demise.

stevoc

Politicians lie, Tories even more so. But even among that lot Boris is something else.

I wouldn't even believe Boris if he told me his name was Boris.

big rons sovereign

Boris Johnson tells lies.
You heard the shock revelation here first.

In other shock news, Thatcher was evil, Rees Mogg has no soul, and Nigel Farage is a smug racist sack of shit.

RUCK4444

How are they puppets exactly? Who is the puppetmaster? Don't say the media, because that is a symbiotic relationship where both benefit massively from each other

Your post is completely wrong and demonstrative of a really troublesome attitude that we have in the UK.

It simply isn't true that the money, economy and laws are "set". That is exactly what most people in government and most people who benefit from this type of government want you to think. If they create apathy and disinterest then they can keep on doing what they do, nobody will care and they'll make lots of money. The fact is that any government with a good majority could enact many significant and wide ranging laws that would change society massively.

The governments we've had for many, many years haven't done this because they have not been interested in doing so. But if you ask anyone in their 80s they will tell you about the government forming the NHS. Nothing has changed since then in terms of government power, it is still able to do huge things if it wants to.

Over the last year or so we've seen the Tories give away unprecedented amounts of money to the entire population during the covid pandemic. This after they slated Labour for years about their "magic money tree". Where did the money come from? How did they do it? The fact is that the government ALWAYS has that ability, they have just pretended that they don't because they have no interest in spending money on public services and people. The Conservative governments over the last 15 years have cut spending on everything - education, healthcare, youth services, unemployment. Yet over the covid pandemic they've been able to spend an extra £271 billion (https://www.nao.org.uk/covid-19/cost-tracker/). How? Why? They have always been able to spend money, but they have not been interested in doing so until it affected them directly.

It is absolute nonsense to say that the government can't do anything and that everything is the way it must be. The government legislates almost anything it wants. The fact is that we have been ruled for a long time by people who have no interest in making any significant changes, and who have successfully tricked many people into thinking it isn't even possible to do so.
Puppets in the sense that they are given scripts for every policy topic, almost nothing they say is honest or thought up by themselves. Just take this topic now with Boris taking an opportunity to lie to the entire country (again) to look the hero when he knew about it the entire time. But it's nothing new and not remotely shocking about any PM we've had since... forever.

Sorry I think your wrong on what the government can do, or are willing to do for the people. Everybody knew that the money paid out through Covid would be paid by tax hikes, no sooner had Sunak handed out the second amount of furlough they confirmed corporate taxes would be increased, so medium to large size companies (the backbone of the country and economy) will pay back tenfold more than they were ever given during Covid.
This will be one of many, many ways they will claw back what they've given out.

The last paragraph is a prime example of exactly what I mean by the 'game being set.' If they were able to be so charitable, like you say, and help the population then why the need to claw it back? Why not just do another shift in the money printing rooms of the bank of England and provide some 'quantative easing' so we can all go on holiday after the pandemic?

Don't get me started on the Brexit lies sold to the public to make that happen, then instead of being held to account for those lies the same idiot gets voted into power!
In my opinion if a government or party lies to the public they should be locked away for treason, not rewarded with a promotion. Instead it's ignored and we sit and listen to the next batch of lies, busily voting for the party that will 'better my own situation.' In an entirely selfish, money driven endeavour. When in reality the outcome will be miniscule wins here and there only for those 'wins' to be taken monetarily from the public positioned directly opposite that scenario.

The slight of hand most people miss is the age old adage that to give to the poor you have to first rob from the rich. Vice versa is true also and you won't find a better example of this in how the government manage its people.

Last edited:

Cloud7

Am I the only one that kinda likes the United kit? The color scheme needs a bit of re adjusting, but it looks nicer than a lot of the home kits we’ve gotten in recent years.

jem

Nice to see Ed's PR team is in damage control
That doesn't remotely make sense. I know we all like to pull up Woodward on the obvious PR stunts, but how would releasing a story that contradicts his own line that he knew nothing about the ESL make any sense?

FriendlyFox

Supports
Leicester City
Am I the only one that kinda likes the United kit? The color scheme needs a bit of re adjusting, but it looks nicer than a lot of the home kits we’ve gotten in recent years.
United kit?

Oh, do you mean the Manchester Reds?

Ibi Dreams

Puppets in the sense that they are given scripts for every policy topic, almost nothing they say is honest or thought up by themselves. Just take this topic now with Boris taking an opportunity to lie to the entire country (again) to look the hero when he knew about it the entire time. But it's nothing new and not remotely shocking about any PM we've had since... forever.

Sorry I think your wrong on what the government can do, or are willing to do for the people. Everybody knew that the money paid out through Covid would be paid by tax hikes, no sooner had Sunak handed out the second amount of furlough they confirmed corporate taxes would be increased, so medium to large size companies (the backbone of the country and economy) will pay back tenfold more than they were ever given during Covid.
This will be one of many, many ways they will claw back what they've given out.

The last paragraph is a prime example of exactly what I mean by the 'game being set.' If they were able to be so charitable, like you say, and help the population then why the need to claw it back? Why not just do another shift in the money printing rooms of the bank of England and provide some 'quantative easing' so we can all go on holiday after the pandemic?

Don't get me started on the Brexit lies sold to the public to make that happen, then instead of being held to account for those lies the same idiot gets voted into power!
In my opinion if a government or party lies to the public they should be locked away for treason, not rewarded with a promotion. Instead it's ignored and we sit and listen to the next batch of lies, busily voting for the party that will 'better my own situation.' In an entirely selfish, money driven endeavour. When in reality the outcome will be miniscule wins here and there only for those 'wins' to be taken monetarily from the public positioned directly opposite that scenario.

The slight of hand most people miss is the age old adage that to give to the poor you have to first rob from the rich. Vice versa is true also and you won't find a better example of this in how the government manage its people.
It sounds like we more or less agree on a lot of things. I also don't like the government and don't like the way they do things. My point is that things don't have to be that way. It is possible to have a better government run by people who actually care about people and their lives. The government isn't powerless, it has a huge amount of power if the people running it are interested in making changes. The problem we have now is that there aren't many politicians who have an interest in that, and the ones we do have are nowhere near power