Sunderland bid £12m for O'Shea, Gibson & Brown

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
It would make no sense for us to sell O'Shea, however it could be that he thinks that he wants to play regular football. Will be a terrific signing for Sunderland, if it's true tbh.

Jiggs'Hamstring

I think we'd regret letting Sheasy go for so little. He still gets a load of games, and will definitely do a Phil Neville and go on to be a quality, reliable player for them for a good few years

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
O'Shea is easily worth the 12 million they are quoting, but not all 3 of them for that fee...Sunderland can feck off.
I'm a big fan of Sheasy but he's 30 years old. He was never going to be sold for a large fee.

Been resigned to Wes and (probably) Gibson moving on for a while now but O'Shea will be missed. Mind you, Jones looks like the perfect replacement, according to Big Sam anyway:

“I think he is so *talented – a bit like Essien – that he could play in a number of positions.

“Watch Essien play right-back for Chelsea and he’s brilliant.

“Watch him play centre-half and he’s brilliant. Watch him play midfield and he’s brilliant.

“I think Phil Jones could be like that. Playing in other positions *improves your game and knowledge. Phil will, in many ways, find it easier when he steps back from midfield into central *defence."

Mick1991

Maybe that Varane deal isn't as dead as I thought it was after Jones signing. If all this is true ofcourse.......

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
O'Shea is 30. He won't be first choice at United with the emergence of the twins. He may be thinking of leaving?

MrK

hmm £12m for those three? This really doesn't seem like a great deal to me. For argument's sake, lets say Gibbo is worth £5m (a young midfielder with a piledriver shot and CL experience has to be worth at least that), then two highly experienced and versatile defenders are worth the same as David N'Gog?

Man-United

If O'Shea and Brown leaves, do we have any other players than Fabio/Rafael as RB? Not sure either Smalling or Jones would play there.

Donkey's Ears

12m for all three is a pretty shit deal.

Don't want JOS to go. He's very useful and offers valuable experience.

I don't think we'll let him go.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
If O'Shea and Brown leaves, do we have any other players than Fabio/Rafael as RB? Not sure either Smalling or Jones would play there.
Seeing as how Fabio and Rafael are nearly always injured we'd be fecking insane.

Hitchcocker

SkyGraemeBailey Graeme Bailey
Bid is worth £12million in total and has been accepted from what I believe. #safc #mufc
I like O Shea a lot, would be sad to let him leave but 12 million for three Internationals is a piss-take even if one of them is past his expiry date.

Amir

We need O'Shea. You can never be too sure when Rafael and Fabio are injured next. And there's no Neville (and soon no Brown) to fall on.

Amir

I like O Shea a lot, would be sad to let him leave but 12 million for three Internationals is a piss-take even if one of them is past his expiry date.
How much is Brown worth? Maybe 2. I'll give Gibson 4. O'Shea 6... Don't think they are really worth anymore. Two ageing defenders, one highly mediocre midfielder.

Man-United

I won't be sure going in to next season without Brown and O'Shea and no rb coming in as Lynk said, Rafael and Fabio are often injured.

Lynk

Good point from twitter

"Brown/Gibson to S'land makes total sense if it happens. JOS a little more surprising. With Scholes gone too, huge loss of homegrown talent."

Brophs

The One and Only
Really good business for Sunderland if they get all three. Their defence would be vastly improved with the addition of Brown and O'Shea.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
What source are people using which makes them think it's O'Shea?

Lynk

They started 50 games between them last season, while basically competing for the same place in the team.
How many did they finish? And Fabio didn't move to right back fully until around February.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
O'Shea played a lot of games for us last season.

Can understand Brown and Gibson moving on. But not O'Shea. Very useful player.

Lance Uppercut

How much is Brown worth? Maybe 2. I'll give Gibson 4. O'Shea 6... Don't think they are really worth anymore. Two ageing defenders, one highly mediocre midfielder.
I agree. Seems a fair enough price, to me.

Widnes

i would accept maybe £12m for Gibson and Brown. Brown has been out a long time and in his 30's no real future for him or need at our club.

O'Shea is important would keep him but if we was to sell him would expect around a double figure for a player of his ability and experiece would be a fantastic signing for any premiership club.

As for welbeck he is a England u21 with a senior cap to his name, premiership proven and able to operate on both wings and up front so surely he is in the same bracket as Jordan Henderson in terms of price and potential?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I'll be happy to let those 3 players move on - have been saying for a while that we need a bit of a clearout as our squad is too big.

izzydiggler

I think it'll be a good move for Gibson and Brown but I think O'Shea's versatility makes him more valuable and should be kept.

MrK

Gibbo may not look a high enough quality for United, but £4m is ridiculous considering the prices other players are going for these days. He's a bigger goal threat than most midfielders, and has a good range of passing that's only likely to improve as he gets more game time. He's also got a fair amount of Champions League experience. £4m for Gibson is an undervaluation.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Crikey. Mental shit this but, with the exception of O'Shea, not altogether unexpected.

I think we'd be absolutely barmy to let O'Shea go personally, but there may already be someone else lined up for that post.

Saddens me in a way that it's 3 homegrown lads that are off, potentially. :(

RedLars

I would be shocked if we sell John O'Shea, especially for a bargain deal like that. Where else could we possibly find a player that's his equal in combinatin of skill, versatility and experience, and at the same time willing to accept a role as a squad player? Even calling him that is stretching it, as he's played 62, 21 and 38 matches the past three seasons, and I'm sure you all remember crying out for him when he was injured in 09/10.

The only reason I could possibly imagine we would sell him is if he's requested it himself, but I'm having a hard time seeing why he would. If he wants to go though, then I'll of course be the first to wish him the best of luck! It's certainly his prerogative after all he's done for the team and the club.

The other two I was more or less expecting to move on, so I'm not as suprised by that.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
How many did they finish? And Fabio didn't move to right back fully until around February.
So what? Rafael was on the bench for most of Fabio's stint in the team. As well as the 50 games started between them, they made an extra 25 appearances as subs. That's a minimum of 75 games when one or other of them was available for selection (probably quite a few more)

The season before last they both had a lot of bother with injuries, in the season just gone they only had one significant injury between them. That was when rafael almost got his head kicked off and had to take two weeks off with concussion.

Siorac

We would be seriously short on right-backs if we let both O'Shea and Brown go. JOS should therefore stay.

8-10m for Brown and Gibson and I'm happy to let them go.

Edit: Oh, Jones. I forgot about him.