Sunderland bid £12m for O'Shea, Gibson & Brown

mufcwarm92

It'll be interesting to see how the Sunderland back four ends up, with O'Shea, Brown, Turner, Bramble, Ferdinand, Bardsley and Angeleiri all on their books.

I'd expect the first choice back four to look like this:

O'Shea - Brown - Turner - Bardsley

scottish_red

sad to see them go if im honest. O'shea has been slated on this forum for as long as i can remember but you need players like him to win a title. Away from the playing side of things i think both played equally if not a bigger part in the dressing room harmony of the club throughout the years, they definitely seem very popular lads looking from the outside.

So whats this mean for United? i can see Fletcher becoming the versatile player O'shea was for us, and Jones taking Browns position for the immediate future. What it also means is we have freed up about 150k worth of wages to bargain with, when it comes to bringing in Sneijder or Nasri, possibly both :D

alastair

ignorant
Sunderland are just United 'B' now. Fully expect them to cede 6 points to you lot next year whilst taking a few off everyone else. The Wigan role, if you will.

::sonny::

Agood squad

Wickham Asamoah

Gardner Cattermole Larsson
Riveros

O'Shea Turner Brown Angeleri

Gordon

Mignolet, Bramble, Bardsley, Richardson, Malbranque, Elmohamady, Campbell

Man-United

Most Sunderland fans seem to want Gibson too. Most Stoke fans don't rate Gibson at all.

Hope he choose Sunderland, can't stand Stoke.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Why don't buying & selling clubs disclose fees?

Rowem

gently, down the stream
I hope he stays at united. Anderson isnt leaps and bounds better then him. If im frank, when both are top of their game, id rather gibson in the side then anderson.

:flameshield:
This is ludicrous. Anderson's top level shits all over Gibson's.

Ringo 07

I'd much prefer to go to Sunderland than Stoke.
Looks like Stoke will offer him what he is looking for and Sunderland will not according to Sunderland Echo so he must be Stoke bound even though he obviously would much prefer Sunderland with his mates going there!

prateik

I dont mind Gibson at all and we have spots free despite the 25 man squad cap.
I wouldve been happy if he had stayed on, but as he isnt in the pre-season squad, he is almost certainly off this summer.
Stoke will be a lot closer to where he is settled.. that might be a factor

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Gibson will be sold. The fact that he hasn't went to the US Tour, despite being fit is a good enough indication.

Brophs

The One and Only
Giovanni Trapattoni maintains that Darron Gibson would further his development away from Manchester United, even though the suggestion has led to derision from the player.

The Republic of Ireland manager does not want to antagonise Sir Alex Ferguson and he says that he is not urging Gibson to leave United, where the midfielder has failed to feature so far this season.

But, having already suggested that Gibson cannot add the necessary bite to his game while he trains and plays in United's all-star squad, Trapattoni made it clear yesterday that Gibson's lack of opportunity at Old Trafford is holding him back.

"The answer is he must play," Trapattoni said. "When he stays only on the bench, he doesn't improve. It's very important to play. But if you stay and play only a few times, you stay with this shirt but it's different. I have not said to Gibson: 'Go or don't go.' I say if Gibson was at another club and played 90 minutes, 90 minutes, 90 minutes, he would grow more."

Trapattoni preferred Derby County's Paul Green to Gibson in central midfield in the Euro 2012 qualifying wins over Armenia and Andorra and he said on Sunday Green had greater hunger because he was used to battling at a smaller club. Trapattoni demands defensive discipline and fight from the central midfielders in his rigid 4-4-2 formation. As Andy Reid has discovered previously, Trapattoni cannot indulge more attack-minded midfielders who do not fit the system.

When it was put to Gibson that a move to a smaller club such as Stoke City could benefit certain aspects of his game, he was unimpressed. "If Trapattoni wants me to move on from a club like Manchester United to better my game, move to somewhere like Stoke where I'll get more games but have little chance of winning anything, then I just don't know," he said.

"To what club, other than Manchester United, could I go to improve my game? To be honest, if he's trying to say that I should move somewhere like Stoke City and change my game to winning tackles and not winning games then he's having a laugh."

Trapattoni has started to look ahead to the qualifiers against Russia and Slovakia next month and he is aware that Gibson might not be the only member of his squad who struggles for regular club football. Two of his key players, Shay Given and the captain Robbie Keane, are out of favour at Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur respectively. The situation, however, is different with them. "I don't worry about Given and Keane," Trapattoni said, "because they have the experience and the mentality for the game."

Russia's home defeat to Slovakia has increased the pressure on them and Ireland sense the opportunity to strike a decisive blow against them in Dublin on 8 October. "We definitely sense weaknesses about the Russians," said the midfielder Liam Lawrence, who has dropped down from Stoke to Portsmouth in search of regular football. "We just hope that when they come here, we can exploit them. If we get a good result against Russia, I think we'd have a hell of a chance."
Interesting article from September 2010 with the rumours that he's off to Stoke.