Super Cup | Real Madrid v Atletico Madrid (Wednesday 8pm BST)

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Really like the Atleti squad this year.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Is Kalinic actually good? I vaguely remember him doing nothing at Blackburn then he ended up at Milan and now Atletico. Must have a good agent.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Is Kalinic actually good? I vaguely remember him doing nothing at Blackburn then he ended up at Milan and now Atletico. Must have a good agent.
He quit the Croatian national team World Cup squad because he couldn't be bothered to come on as a sub.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Atleti fecked up by letting Vrsaljko go imo, they haven’t looked great in the friendlies but hopefully Simeone can get this team to hit its full potential and they challenge both in the league and CL. The CL final being at their own stadium will be a big motivation and they’ll believe this is finally their year.

As for this game, Madrid always seem to pull through against Atleti in Europe no matter how they play so I’m expecting it to happen again. Will be interesting to see how Lopetegui sets them up.

Bale has been scoring in every friendly and looking great so he’s going to be Madrid’s big threat. Wouldn’t trust Juanfran or Arias up against him. His fitness will be key this season, if he’s out for half a season as usual then Madrid will have big problems.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Atleti fecked up by letting Vrsaljko go imo, they haven’t looked great in the friendlies but hopefully Simeone can get this team to hit its full potential and they challenge both in the league and CL. The CL final being at their own stadium will be a big motivation and they’ll believe this is finally their year.

As for this game, Madrid always seem to pull through against Atleti in Europe no matter how they play so I’m expecting it to happen again. Will be interesting to see how Lopetegui sets them up.

Bale has been scoring in every friendly and looking great so he’s going to be Madrid’s big threat. Wouldn’t trust Juanfran or Arias up against him. His fitness will be key this season, if he’s out for half a season as usual then Madrid will have big problems.
Who's likely to be Juanfran's backup?

klsv

I have no idea how my hometown got to host this match. The stadium stood uncompleted for over 10 years, then they somehow found the money to just finished the final works few weeks ago. Now the we have a stadium with 15k seats, league game attendance is around 300 people and national team only sells it out when we face Portugal, England or Spain once a decade. Will hang around the fanzone and the stadium, don't care about the match itself :lol:

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
You never know when you might need your 5th choice goalkeeper. :wenger:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Fully expect Real Madrid to do the job. Atletico doesn't seem to know how to beat Real anymore.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Arias. More like competition to be a starter rather than a backup though

Vrsaljko is better than both of them so they’ve become weaker there
Oh yeah, completely forgot about Arias.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Man, Inter are scraping up those talents. Vrsaljko, Lautaro, Balde, Nainggolan. Bit pissed that the Rossoneri are being left in the dust.
Inter have had the best summer out of any team in Europe. I’m expecting them to be Juve’s biggest challengers this season.

Milan didn’t do as well but they’ve had a pretty good summer too. Higuain and Caldara are two very good signings.

Hoof the ball

Has Balde done anything of note at Monaco?
8 goals in 19 games. 5 assists. It's not bad, not great. He's still a talent, though.
At Lazio he bagged 16 goals in 21 games the year before.

Inter have had the best summer out of any team in Europe. I’m expecting them to be Juve’s biggest challengers this season.

Milan didn’t do as well but they’ve had a pretty good summer too. Higuain and Caldara are two very good signings.
I'm actually excited more about Caldara than anyone else. We've really done Juve in with that deal. Caldara is a long term partner for Romagnoli.
If Higuain can give us a season or two, then great. Hopefully he plays alongside Cutrone.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Has Balde done anything of note at Monaco?
He’s been decent, clearly very talented but Jardim wasn’t a huge fan of his (lack of) defensive contribution. I think he should have stayed another season at Monaco.

He plays better on the left than on the right which isn’t good for Inter, last season they played Perisic in the left and Candreva on the right.

Still... De Vrij, Asamoah, Vrsaljko, Nainggolan, Politano, Keita and Lautaro Martínez in one transfer window is insane. More importantly they’ve kept Handanovic, Skriniar and Icardi. Inter are back. It’s a shame they missed out on Vidal and Modric seems to be renewing but they’ll still go for a midfielder this summer.

more detailed info

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
When is it?
Wednesday, August 15.

What time is it?
Kick off is at 8:00pm.

What TV channel is it on?
The match is being shown live on BT Sport 2 and BT Sport 2 HD.

from UEFA.com:
Possible line-ups

Real Madrid: Navas; Carvajal, Ramos, Varane, Marcelo; Casemiro, Kroos, Isco; Bale, Benzema, Asensio.
Out: Vallejo (muscle problem), Odriozola (adductor)
Doubtful: none

Atlético Madrid: Oblak; Juanfran, Godín, Giménez, Filipe Luís; Koke, Saúl, Rodrigo; Lemar, Griezmann, Costa.
Out: none
Doubtful: none

• The European Cup/UEFA Champions League holders have won 23 of the 42 editions.

• The UEFA Cup/UEFA Europa League winners have won seven of the 18 editions since the demise of the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup.

Most wins by nation
14 Spain (Barcelona 5, Real Madrid 4, Valencia 2, Atlético Madrid 2, Sevilla 1)
9 Italy (AC Milan 5, Juventus 2, Lazio 1, Parma 1)
7 England (Liverpool 3, Aston Villa 1, Chelsea 1, Manchester United 1, Nottingham Forest 1)

Spain are guaranteed a 15th triumph in Tallinn

Most wins by club
5 AC Milan, Barcelona
4 Real Madrid
3 Liverpool
2 Ajax, Anderlecht, Atlético Madrid, Juventus, Valencia

Real Madrid could equal the record of five titles shared by AC Milan and Barcelona; Atlético could become the first team to win their first three UEFA Super Cups

Most wins by player
4= Dani Alves (Sevilla 2006, Barcelona 2009, 2011, 2015)
4= Paolo Maldini (AC Milan 1989, 1990, 1994, 2003)

Seven Real Madrid players can equal that record in Tallinn: Dani Carvajal, Sergio Ramos, Marcelo, Luka Modrić, Karim Benzema, Isco (all 2014, 2016, 2017) and Toni Kroos (2013 with Bayern, 2014, 2017 with Real Madrid)

Most wins by coach
3= Carlo Ancelotti (AC Milan 2003, 2007, Real Madrid 2014)
3= Josep Guardiola (Barcelona 2009, 2011, Bayern München 2013)

Diego Simeone could claim his second Super Cup as coach after 2012

Most participations by nation
25 Spain (Barcelona 9, Real Madrid 6, Sevilla 5, Valencia 2, Atlético Madrid 2, Real Zaragoza 1)
16 England (Liverpool 5, Manchester United 4, Chelsea 3, Nottingham Forest 2, Arsenal 1, Aston Villa 1)
13 Italy (AC Milan 7, Juventus 2, Internazionale Milano 1, Parma 1, Lazio 1, Sampdoria 1)

Spain will make it 27 in Tallinn

Most participations by club
9 Barcelona
7 AC Milan
6 Real Madrid
5 Liverpool, Sevilla
4 Bayern, Porto, Manchester United
3 Ajax, Chelsea

Real Madrid will move alongside AC Milan on seven; 2018 is Atlético's third UEFA Super Cup

Final outcomes

Highest-scoring final*: 2015, Barcelona 5-4 Sevilla
Biggest winning margin*: 2006, Sevilla 3-0 Barcelona, and 2012, Atlético Madrid 4-1 Chelsea
Extra-time: six finals have gone to extra-time, most recently 2016, Real Madrid 3-2 Sevilla
Penalty shoot-out: 2013, Bayern 2-2 Chelsea (aet, Bayern win 5-4 on pens)

Five people have won the UEFA Super Cup as coach and player:
Carlo Ancelotti (1990; 2003, 2007, 2014)
Josep Guardiola (1992; 2009, 2011, 2013)
Diego Simeone (1999; 2012)
Luis Enrique (1997; 2015)
Zinédine Zidane (1996, 2002; 2016, 2017)

Where to watch: broadcast partners

Europe

Albania: Tring
Armenia: Armenia TV
Austria: Sky Österreich
Azerbaijan: CBC Sport
Belgium: RTL, Q2, Proximus (FR), Proximus (NL)
Bosnia and Herzegovina: SportKlub, Arena Sport
Bulgaria: bTV Media Group
Croatia: HRT
Cyprus: CYTA
Czech Republic: o2
Denmark: Viasat
Estonia: All Media Baltics
Finland: MTV
France: RMC Sport
FYR Macedonia: Macedonia Telekom
Georgia: Silk Sports
Germany: Sky Deutschland
Greece: COSMOTE TV
Hungary: MTVA, TV2
Iceland: Stöð 2 Sport
Republic of Ireland: RTÉ, Virgin Media
Israel: The Sports Channel
Italy: Sky Italia
Kazakhstan: Kazsport
Kosovo: Kujtesa
Latvia: All Media Baltics
Lithuania: All Media Baltics
Luxembourg: RTL
Malta: PBS, Melita
Moldova: Canal 3
Montenegro: SportKlub, Arena Sport
Netherlands: Veronica
Norway: Viasat
Poland: Telewizja Polsat
Portugal: Eleven Sports
Serbia: RTS, Arena Sport
Slovakia: Orange Sport
Slovenia: Pop TV, SportKlub
Sweden: Viasat
Switzerland: Teleclub
United Kingdom: BT Sport

Outside Europe

Australia: Optus Sport
Canada: DAZN
Caribbean: Flow Sports, SportsMax
Central Asia: Saran
Fiji: FBC
Indonesia: FMA
Korea: Spo TV
Latin America: Fox Sports, ESPN
Macau: TDM
Malaysia and Brunei: DAZN
Middle East and North Africa: beIN Sports
New Zealand: Sky NZ
Philippines: DAZN
Singapore: DAZN
Sub-Saharan Africa: SuperSport
Taiwan: DAZN
Thailand, Laos & Cambodia: DAZN
Vietnam: K+

Sport 24 hold the rights for in-flight and in-ship broadcasts

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
Julen Lopetegui, Madrid coach

We want to win, of course, and we have to be ready to do so. We've prepared for it and we'll do all we can to win against a great team who will demand a lot of us. Atlético are a great team with great players, and a coach who has been there for years leading them in the right direction. It'll be a tough game both physically and tactically. It's a final and these two teams will bring the best out of each other. We're focused on what we need to do to beat Atleti.

Diego Simeone, Atlético coach

We want to improve on last season. Expectations are high and we know what's demanded of us. [Real Madrid are] going to play a different style; they press you high and want to control the game in your half. Lopetegui had that same philosophy as Spain boss. The most important thing tomorrow is emotion and a desire to win. That's what we'll have. Everyone in the squad who has travelled is fit to play.

fluffy monster

Supports
Chelsea
I'm going to the match! Very cool to have this high profile match in my tiny homeland and luckily I won the tickets and going to see it at the stadium tonight. Excited!
Not that great for Madrid players or fans, but they get their share of big matches every week, I think they'll live.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Going with an Atletico win today. Love their attacking options this season. They are going places.
I second that motion. Simeone to engineer a narrow win, it will be a close game though. I expect both teams to get to the later stages of the champions league again. Atletico will be particularly motivated to win it as the final is at their ground. Also expecting them to mount a title challenge if not win it.

Bradley Leach

Why would Navas start ahead of Courtois? do you not think that he would get his debut in a possible cup win against his old team?

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Real forgot to fill in the paperwork making Courtois ineligible to play tonight. :lol:
Wondering if it's really an accident.. Navas deserves to play having won the competition to qualify in the first place. Makes things easier for Lopetegui for sure. Courtois will be under pressure, if he makes mistakes Navas will be back in the team.

klsv

I'm going to the match! Very cool to have this high profile match in my tiny homeland and luckily I won the tickets and going to see it at the stadium tonight. Excited!
Not that great for Madrid players or fans, but they get their share of big matches every week, I think they'll live.
Not going myself but our Old Town and Vabaduse väljak have a nice vibe today, enjoy your night!

kaempen

Arias. More like competition to be a starter rather than a backup though

Vrsaljko is better than both of them so they’ve become weaker there
Vrsaljko didn't perform that well for Atletico. Arias won't be worse than him. Like Vrsaljko, Arias will probably be the worst starter on the team (or the least good one). It is possible that Vrsaljko finally would have done really well at Atletico in 18/19, but now we will never know.

Inter Yer Nan

I second that motion. Simeone to engineer a narrow win, it will be a close game though. I expect both teams to get to the later stages of the champions league again. Atletico will be particularly motivated to win it as the final is at their ground. Also expecting them to mount a title challenge if not win it.
I think so too. I think they will win La Liga and I expect them to be in the final as I don't see them losing over two legs.

Doctor Tornasol

Supports
Football
As far as I remember El Cholo considered Vrsaljko had an attitude problem, he didn't fit his way of thinking. Whenever that happened along these Simeone years commanding the club with any player, it means the player will be inexorably sold in the next transfer window. As tough as it sounds, he wants a team of brainwashed soldiers. So if a player b*tch publicly or privately about anything he does, not being a consistent first-choice player or whatever, goodbye.