Super League’s Impact on Transfers

seegoblu

While there’s not much solid information out there aside from fan vitriol and the establishment’s defensive statements, if I understand this proposal correctly, the initial 12 teams will each receive €310mm from the new league sponsor (unclear whether it‘s a loan or a payment). The timing of receipt is also unclear, however, injecting up to €4bn into the COVID-depressed European football market is just the stimulus needed.

An unintended side effect of this breakaway league (assuming each recipient spends some or all of the windfall in the transfer market) could be getting selling clubs the capital they need to replace lost fan and advertising revenue, no? I’d imagine that the floundering French league‘s clubs would welcome a frothy transfer market for their young high priced talent. Same for Spanish clubs under crushing debt loads.

United’s transfer needs would be easily satisfied utilizing a portion of these proceeds. It would no longer be an exercise in choosing whether to fills holes at CB, CDM or RW, the club can fill them all.

Lyricist

I'd think that a few transfer targets would be impossible to get for the clubs that consider themselves the "founding fathers" because some players will not want to get involved and others might not want the backlash from 90% of European football fans shitstorming all their social media in case they transfer to one of the traitor teams now.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

If you are a smaller team and any of the 12 come calling you must be adding an even bigger luxury tax to every player. You would be a fool not to

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Two thoughts on transfers:

1) As it stands a player might choose to join a club like Leicester over a club like Arsenal, as they are in a better position in sporting terms. That changes with a Super League as joining one if the elite 15 that are guaranteed to play in the premier club competition will always be a more attractive offer. Those clubs will monopolise the best players even more than they have before.

2) A Super League is build to offer financial rewards that are less dependent on sporting success. The risk of failure has been removed for the elite 15 and the benefit of success has been reduced, with gap between what the CL winner earns over a participant in the CL group stage being 300% greater than the gap between the winner of the SL and the other 14 elite clubs. This means there is less incentive for owners to invest funds into the team, as they do not have to meet any minimum standard of performance to guarantee their income and gain less from an outstanding level of performance relative to the others. What do the Glazers care if United are a B-list SL team? They're guaranteed to remain among the elite in terms of revenue and sponsorship regardless.

Matt007a

In some ways it could make it more difficult for us. As it stands now there are only really 4-5 clubs competing with us financially, but it's about to be 14. No one would choose Arsenal over us in the EPL but in a new league where every team is super rich and will eventually level out in quality, suddenly they're competitive with us in the market.

GBBQ

Got to think that there are some pending deals for the 12 clubs where the players are getting cold feet now (from a PR perspective or everything being up in the air). For example Mbappe may well have been en route to Real Madrid this summer as the next step in his career. If he moves now it could be portrayed that he's moved because PSG aren't joining the ESL.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
American draft and trading model. Not saying I want it to happen, but can definitely see it happening given the Americanization of the sport.

lysglimt

Scout
No player in their right mind would want to join any of these 12 clubs - hell you don't even know if and what they will play next season

forevrared

Prices to both agents and clubs will be even more exponentially fecked. There'll be two entirely different markets between ESL clubs and all the rest.

Lee565

So that's £250m to the Glazers and about £60m on transfers?
60? Why do they need to spend that amount when they would have guaranteed money rolling in from a super league that they don't have to fear missing out on for a season, they wouldn't care if united finished 6 or 7th every season in the super league when they will still get around the same amount of tv and sponsorship money.

Scholsey2004

We're facing the very real prospect of being excluded from European and domestic competitions because of Ed and the owners. If this has an effect on transfers it wont be a positive one.

gorky_utd

60? Why do they need to spend that amount when they would have guaranteed money rolling in from a super league that they don't have to fear missing out on for a season, they wouldn't care if united finished 6 or 7th every season in the super league when they will still get around the same amount of tv and sponsorship money.
They will probably make sure a minimum percentage needs to be invested back in the squad (saw in twitter the upper limit is 55 percent) otherwise you can be sure Utd, Ars, Liv, Spurs will spend a combine of 10m per year.

dave1956

At present there is a need to invest a certain amount of money per season in transfers to be assured of a Champions League place. Having the assurance that you will always be in a Super Leauge and a minimum payment means that you can reduce your investment in transfers which means there is a greater amount ready to pay in dividens to the owners. A win win situation for the owners.
However, with regard to transfers in the future, the present government could strengthen the legal requirements of residency and work permits which could greatly reduce those transfers of players outside the United Kingdom resulting in only the recruitment of home grown players. Though under the present plans this would mean that the club would still remain in the SL., even if it never won a game. Once again a win win situation for the owners in very minimum outlay for maximum profits.

Bondi77

I think a real football fan would not give a shit about transfers if this Super League or Super Rich Retirement League as I like to call it goes ahead.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I don't think that United would want to constantly finish last in the super league. Why would sponsors pay premium for that? They might as well sponsor a winner instead, someone who actually makes their sponsor look good

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
American draft and trading model. Not saying I want it to happen, but can definitely see it happening given the Americanization of the sport.
There's a big lesson here. We have to wonder if these owners, infiltrated (or were allowed to) on purpose for this very scenario. This is one issue with globalisation. And its why nationalism gets called racist. I know the history but that history is used to push the story along. So nation is open to business globally and that's a systemic problem (but its what they want). People fought for land and their people. Now nations are sold from under your feet and folks don't understand that some want it that way. They dont care about right or wrong. This is why people say close borders. As then we are covid free. But we don't control the money. And people dont think things through fully.

It's perhaps the influence of communist america that set up a straw man in the constitution because its easier to outwit paper then a nation of people who think and who interpret for themselves. Over time. That constitution erodes by controlling language interpretation and perception. So we should not be surprised America and others going this route as they dont represent generations of people from our past or present to a large degree. This model, sold to us by liars is a joke and must not stand but it is a lesson and it goes back to scripture but people saw the violence and didnt understand the reason for it. For what can we say to billionaires....who lie continually? They care for money not our memories not for the things people fought for

Just to add, it was perhaps the wrong thing for us to enter European football to begin with (In Hindsight)

Last edited:

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
I don't think that United would want to constantly finish last in the super league. Why would sponsors pay premium for that? They might as well sponsor a winner instead, someone who actually makes their sponsor look good
Would there be a need for any of the teams to actually spend any money? If their place in the SL is guaranteed for the next 20 odd years, whats to say a team like Spurs wont just sit on the money its receiving and not really bother competing? I mean they wouldn't be relegated and they are guaranteed 300m per year just for taking part.

devilish

Would there be a need for any of the teams to actually spend any money? If their place in the SL is guaranteed for the next 20 odd years, whats to say a team like Spurs wont just sit on the money its receiving and not really bother competing? I mean they wouldn't be relegated and they are guaranteed 300m per year just for taking part.
Spurs maybe, us no. We still rely on sponsors and top sponsors hate being associated with losers. Also if the cup becomes stale then it will loses viewers as well

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Anyone that thinks we are spending extra money in the SL is wrong. We didn’t put murtagh and Fletcher in their places for nothing. Nothing will change. This is just replacing the money from covid and generating more money for the current owners

devilish

Anyone that thinks we are spending extra money in the SL is wrong. We didn’t put murtagh and Fletcher in their places for nothing. Nothing will change. This is just replacing the money from covid and generating more money for the current owners
So you do not think that the Murtough- Fletcher combo is the best thing happening since slice bread? I am glad that I am not alone on this one. I spent days arguing that with Woodward's arse kissers to no avail

However I believe we will have 1 good transfer window. The club got hit quite badly in terms of image and the Glazers care about that. So they will try to buy us out

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
So you do not think that the Murtough- Fletcher combo is the best thing happening since slice bread? I am glad that I am not alone on this one. I spent days arguing that with Woodward's arse kissers to no avail

However I believe we will have 1 good transfer window. The club got hit quite badly in terms of image and the Glazers care about that. So they will try to buy us out
I think it’s a good move for sure but I don’t share your optimism about transfer funds

Zen86

If I was one of the smaller clubs being screwed over by the breakaway, and a filthy rich ESL club came knocking for one of my players, I sure know what I would do.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
In some ways it could make it more difficult for us. As it stands now there are only really 4-5 clubs competing with us financially, but it's about to be 14. No one would choose Arsenal over us in the EPL but in a new league where every team is super rich and will eventually level out in quality, suddenly they're competitive with us in the market.
The main criteria would be playing time and maybe personal affiliation as like you said, money wouldn't be that different from one club to another

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I was just coming to RedCafe to say how disappointed I am to see comments from some fans, in response to the ESL, basically saying "the problem is that none of this money will be invested in the team".

Anybody with this opinion, just doesn't get it. It would be disgusting to watch us spend hundreds of millions on players, paid for by the ESL, and absolutely crushing the rest of the PL week in week out (if we're allowed to stay). It's fake, plastic, hollow...you name it. All the insults we've thrown at other clubs over the years will apply to us.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
While there’s not much solid information out there aside from fan vitriol and the establishment’s defensive statements, if I understand this proposal correctly, the initial 12 teams will each receive €310mm from the new league sponsor (unclear whether it‘s a loan or a payment). The timing of receipt is also unclear, however, injecting up to €4bn into the COVID-depressed European football market is just the stimulus needed.

An unintended side effect of this breakaway league (assuming each recipient spends some or all of the windfall in the transfer market) could be getting selling clubs the capital they need to replace lost fan and advertising revenue, no? I’d imagine that the floundering French league‘s clubs would welcome a frothy transfer market for their young high priced talent. Same for Spanish clubs under crushing debt loads.

United’s transfer needs would be easily satisfied utilizing a portion of these proceeds. It would no longer be an exercise in choosing whether to fills holes at CB, CDM or RW, the club can fill them all.
This is the end game for the Glazers. Guaranteed income. The holy grail. Why in gods name would they even consider putting that 300m into the team?

NoLogo

So gracious of the big clubs to share some of their new-found wealth with the drag of the normal leagues by taking their best talents of their hands. I bet they can't contain their excitement about having to sell their best talents.

tob

I was just coming to RedCafe to say how disappointed I am to see comments from some fans, in response to the ESL, basically saying "the problem is that none of this money will be invested in the team".

Anybody with this opinion, just doesn't get it. It would be disgusting to watch us spend hundreds of millions on players, paid for by the ESL, and absolutely crushing the rest of the PL week in week out (if we're allowed to stay). It's fake, plastic, hollow...you name it. All the insults we've thrown at other clubs over the years will apply to us.
Any team that is in this ESL won't be playing in the PL, or in any other competition. If this ESL thing happen, the rest of the PL teams will just keep on going without them. I can't see it going any other way. Players in these 6 teams will leave the club and some will sign for other PL-clubs. Salary may be cut for everyone involved, but, in time, it will increase. Just as it always has. The interest of the Premier League won't go away. Hopefully the Premier League will put restrictions so that investors can't own majority of a club.

That's exactly what will happen. Why would they invest in the club when they are guarantied lots of money even if the team is ending up in last position every season?

Bondi77

If this goes ahead I would be deeply saddened to see the club I have supported all my life take this path but I would be all for kicking the six clubs out of all the domestic competitions and promoting six clubs from the Championship.
I would still watch the domestic game but with no allegiance to any club and I would refuse to watch the Fat Cat league as it would just be a farce anyway.
No matter how rich a club is nothing is bigger than the game and the game is nothing without people to watch it.

Ekeke

We've always been able to fill them all.

macheda14

People say this, but I don’t think they can do that. The money will be given to the football club (business) which is a separate entity. They will continue taking their dividends, but that’s all they’re entitled to. I don’t want this to happen at all, but in reality it will make the club richer. The Glazers have never paid their own money and they won’t begin to. But they will carry on taking the money they take and that’s it.

Superden

these are clubs that have been raking in more money than ever before but still racking up enormous losses, mainy due to player costs. nothing will change. players / agents will want their piece of the pie, the percentages (of wages vs turnover etc) will remain, just the total amounts will increase. so everyone involved will be much richer than before.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Spurs maybe, us no. We still rely on sponsors and top sponsors hate being associated with losers. Also if the cup becomes stale then it will loses viewers as well
I dont think the Glazers will put much money in, nor Spurs or Arsenal. They are guaranteed the 300m+ every year, whether they finish first or last, it wont make any sense to invest the extra especially if they will still be collecting the PL money (assuming the PL don't throw them out of the league).
Thats some 450m+ before we’ve kicked a ball, before gate receipts and any other commercial activities. 450m as a basic even if we finish 17th in the PL and last in the SL.
Why would any of them (Us Spurs Arsenal) need to spend much of that extra income, when the whole point of the SL is to bring in more guaranteed income. It would be different if their was a chance of being relegated from the SL we would all spend.
The likes of Chelsea City will be spending as their owners are billionaires and to them its about winning or trying to win every thing they can. With us Spurs Arsenal its about doing the bare minimum.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
This will depends on who blinks.

If the FAs kicked these 12 teams out. Short term pain long term gain. If they still allow these 12 to participate in domestic league and only out of the CL, the uefa are fecked and the rest of the european football is fecked.

As much as i support united. For the better good i hope the FAs stick to their gun and dont negotiate with them.

These is very not fair for the hundreds of european clubs that needs the UEFA to survive and compete.

But as it is the CL cant afford to negotiate, and cant afford to give in. They have no other option. These 12 greedy clubs have forced a show hand, leaving no room for negotiation. I hope they crash and burn.