Film Superman (2025)

Unam333

Superman films have all been shit. Superman Returns had such a great teaser, and the only film I really looked forward to, but the film ended up being completely different to what the teaser suggested.

That teaser was indeed very good. So Superman Returns is basically Superman 3 right? Using the John Williams theme and Marlon Brando.

I think Superman Returns is better than Man of Steel, loved the plane rescue scene, but the actor looked too young. I prefer Henry Cavill's appearance and physique, but Brandon Routh is the better actor.

I think I enjoy Snyder's movies better than Gunn's movies, the former has more genre defining titles to his name.
Dawn of the Dead, 300 and Watchmen are three of my favorite movies.

Last edited:

Wing Attack Plan R

Good question.

I used to work in a video store and I don’t think I will ever do a job i loved as much, I love movies. That’s another story.

The short answer is that I’ve found over the years that sometimes my enjoyment of movies can depend on my mood , the circumstances of watching the movie and/or my attention when it’s on.

I watched “Magnolia” and hated it. Wasn’t ready for the style and quirky nature and wasn’t in the mood to pay attention. Turned it off an hour in. But one night was bored , flicking around and it was on channel 4. I started watching it again and I was absorbed in it.

I remember going to see watchmen in the cinema. Expected an X rated Xmen movie and was bored. Watched it again on tv and loved it. So my expectations shifted.

With BVS I just thought it was messy and squeezed too much into it. On rewatch I watched it to see what bits I enjoyed and realised there’s a lot I like about it. The Martha thing is bollox if you don’t enjoy the movie but if you let go it’s not really that much a problem. (I think that things like “same moms” happens in good movies but people don’t get upset cause your enjoyment of a movie determines what you choose will matter or annoy you).

Another thing with BVS was that I watched it again when on the ferry to France on my own. Cinema was empty and I was just starting my holidays and my wife was looking after the kids in our room. So was really nice and relaxing.

I’ve found that I’ve been able to take more from movies, flaws and all, as I’ve gotten older. There’s no benefit to raging on movies.

Like the newer alien movies. Aliens is my favourite movie possibly of all time. The newer movies aren’t anywhere close to them. But I don’t see them as a threat to my enjoyment of aliens and think they are decent (and beautifully made) horror movies within the franchise.

Equally watching alien covenant on France ferry was nice. I enjoy these movies more on repeat because like most I want them to be good and am disappointed in first viewing but unlike most I’m willing to watch again with lower expectations.

With movies I’m like Kevin smith where I focus more on what I can get from them then what i think is wrong. Wish I could do that with everything else in my life
Preach, brother!

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I liked MoS Mockney!
MoS Mockney was a bit too broody for my liking. I preferred the 1970s arthouse Mockney, who chucked pellets of his shit at strangers on the street.

Redstain

I think the most important elements if it's an origin story is cast and pacing. I think the Nolan films is not a good benchmark because Batman's origins are predominately natural expressions so it's far easier for the story to produce sentimentality compared to an alien from Space.

I don't think Gunn should drag all the bravado and witty humor from Guardians as inspiration, look at the landscape of Superman's character and his enemies in the comics Doomsday Darkseid etc all relatively insane so it should have tension alongside building a solid foundation in how they tell the backstory.

Simbo

Nathan Fillion is in it so I'm basically contracted to watch it.

Thought and Snyder film that involved Superman we're abysmal, so won't take much for it to be better then those.
Fingers crossed he's playing the main guy :lol:

Sylar

I admittedly have a soft spot for some Snyder stuff. Loved watchman dawn of the dead and just find I enjoy the feel of his movies. Some of his movies are a beautiful mess. Although rebel moon was awful.

BvS I did not like on first watch but enjoyed more on repeat, particularly extended cut. I thought his JL 4 hour movie was enjoyable aswell although I don’t know why he didn’t stick with the awesome score from BvS.
My problem with Snyder is he can't tell a good story. It's all moments here and there which would be fine if it had a good build to it or aftermath, which would lead to the next big moment.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
My problem with Snyder is he can't tell a good story. It's all moments here and there which would be fine if it had a good build to it or aftermath, which would lead to the next big moment.
The Ole of directors.

Herman Toothrot

Superman films have all been shit. Superman Returns had such a great teaser, and the only film I really looked forward to, but the film ended up being completely different to what the teaser suggested.

Such a shame. I think I'd rather watch Superman Returns than any of the recent efforts, it's aesthetic and feel is fantastic, but ultimately the story was undercooked, after a 26-year gap, not sure that we were ready for the Son of Superman story it was setting up.

Parma Dewol

Superman: The Movie set too high a bar, nothing else has come close.

Rewatched Superman Returns a short while back, in the hope it wasn’t as bad as I remembered. I was wrong, it was even worse.

Don’t have high hopes for this one as superhero films in general have become a fun but soulless CGI fest, not expecting any different.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
I personally quite liked man of steel. Not enjoyed anything else with Superman mind.

decorativeed

At least all of those scenes appeared in the actual film, unlike a lot of teasers and trailers these days.

There were some really good things in Superman Returns, but some shit as well. Lex Luthor trying another version of a real estate/land grab felt like a waste, for one. But I would have liked to see what happened with super kid in a sequel we never got much more than any of the Snyder bollocks that we got instead.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I have Watchmen and Joker up there in the mix with the Nolan trilogy as far as DC adaptations go. The new Suicide Squad was criminally underrated.

Reiver

Superman II the Richard Donner cut is my favourite of the films. With the exception of III and IV, i think there's something to like in them all.

decorativeed

Superman II the Richard Donner cut is my favourite of the films. With the exception of III and IV, i think there's something to like in them all.
You didn't enjoy Superman going around being a dick and blowing out the Olympic flame and straightening the leaning tower of Piza in III? There's a lot of shit in that film, but it's got some interesting and fun bits in it.

IV is irredeemable though, genuinely one of the worst films I've ever seen.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Shazam 2 was pretty good. Helps when people have low expectations. Didn't mind Shazam 1 either.

MoS was alright, felt it could have been fleshed out better. Tried to pack in too much into one film. Everything else Snyder done has been dogshite for DC (for me at least).

I'm excited for Gunn but I didn't much like his suicide squad. Tried to be funny when it was pretty bland. Weirdly humour is meant to be his strong suit.

MiceOnMeth

What's the appeal of Superman? People hate captain marvel because she's overpowered but superman gets a pass, why?

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
What's the appeal of Superman? People hate captain marvel because she's overpowered but superman gets a pass, why?
He's the first superhero and he beats up nazis.

Reiver

You didn't enjoy Superman going around being a dick and blowing out the Olympic flame and straightening the leaning tower of Piza in III? There's a lot of shit in that film, but it's got some interesting and fun bits in it.

IV is irredeemable though, genuinely one of the worst films I've ever seen.
I didn't particularly like the third, no. But you got me thinking about it and that's the one where Superman fights Clark? That is a good scene.
IV might be so bad it's good. The effects are worse than the first film.

Hamnat

The only thing that kinda worries me about this one is how many characters will be stuffed in. Of all the announced ones unless it's like a one shot of the new Justice League and most don't speak it is a whole lot to put in a Superman film.