Film Superman (2025)

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Formerly Superman: Legacy, Warner Bros./DC's latest reboot is now officially titled...Superman.

Director: James Gunn
Screenwriter: James Gunn
Starring: David Corenswet, Rachel Brosnahan, Nathan Fillion, Nicholas Hoult, Isabela Merced, Edi Gathegi and Anthony Carrigan.

Hits theatres July 11th 2025.

Shield revealed!

Wing Attack Plan R

Formerly Superman: Legacy, Warner Bros./DC's latest reboot is now officially titled...Superman.

Director: James Gunn
Screenwriter: James Gunn
Starring: David Corenswet, Rachel Brosnahan, Nathan Fillion, Nicholas Hoult, Isabela Merced, Edi Gathegi and Anthony Carrigan.

Hits theatres July 11th 2025.

Shield revealed!

You’d think he’d be Lex Luthor but it would be funny if he was not. I hope he plays Lex as NoHo Hank.

Last edited:

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
They've really pushed their creative limits with that symbol design.

Unam333

Why change the title Superman: Legacy? It sounds nice.

It's a Superman movie, so I'll probably watch it, but I don't expect a much better movie than Man of Steel, just because James Gunn is the director.

In fact, I think James Gunn is an average director and writer. I don't particularly dislike his movies, most of them are good fun, but I do think they are extremely overrated by the fans. Maybe it's just me.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks

It's a Superman movie, so I'll probably watch it, but I don't expect a much better movie than Man of Steel, just because James Gunn is the director.

In fact, I think James Gunn is an average director and writer. I don't particularly dislike his movies, most of them are good fun, but I do think they are extremely overrated by the fans. Maybe it's just me.
The final 3rd of MOS was a abomination, not that it was particularly good beforehand mind.
Pretty frustrating they're making yet another Superman film when they wouldn't for Cavill.
I don't rate Cavill but, because of Snyder's pretentious, darker tone and his heavy handedness with the symbolism, I dont think the actor had much of a chance.
Snyder's Superman looked more likely to side with the villians than go up against them.

Such a god awful choice for a Superman director. The guy has zero warmth and charisma in his films.

Last edited:

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
The final 3rd of MOS was a abomination, not that it was particularly good beforehand mind.

I don't rate Cavill but, because of Snyder's pretentious, darker tone and his heavy handedness with the symbolism, I dont think the actor had much of a chance.
Snyder's Superman looked more likely to side with the villians than go up against them.

Such a god awful choice for a Superman director. The guy has zero warmth and charisma in his films.
The following he has is genuinely strange.

Unam333

The first part of Man of Steel was more of a let down. I still don't quite understand the logic behind Jonathan Kent's actions during the tornado scene. His reason I get that, but it was a wasted death, totally unnecessary and not heroic at all. There are dozens of other ways to handle that situation.

I actually want Clark's parents to live in the new movie, like they did in the TV-series.

Michael Shannon was awful as general Zod. His acting was off and his screaming was just laughable.

I think the writers made the wrong decision to include general Zod in the first Snyder Superman movie. The world just got introduced to a flying alien god (Kent's Superman). Then later in the movie the people on earth get to meet three new Superman's.
So now there are 4 flying alien gods?
This makes Kent's Superman very ordinary and not very special.

Who? James Gunn or Zack Snyder?

Last edited:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Nathan Fillion is in it so I'm basically contracted to watch it.

Thought and Snyder film that involved Superman we're abysmal, so won't take much for it to be better then those.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The first part of Man of Steel was more of a let down. I still don't quite understand the logic behind Jonathan Kent's actions during the tornado scene. The reasoning I get that, but it was a wasted death, totally unnecessary and not heroic at all. There are dozens of other ways to handle that situation.

I actually want Clark's parents to live in the new movie, like they did in the TV-series.

Michael Shannon was awful as general Zod. His acting was off and his screaming was just laughable.

I think the writers made the wrong decision to include general Zod in the first Snyder Superman movie. The world just got introduced to a flying alien god (Kent's Superman). Then later in the movie the people on earth get to meet three new Superman's.
So now there are 4 flying alien gods?
This makes Kent's Superman very ordinary and not very special.

Who? James Gunn or Zack Snyder?
My favourite bit is where they punish a bunch of terrorists by safely transporting them off a world that was about to be destroyed.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness

Well I liked GOTG 1, it was great, easily one of the best superhero films. 2 was pretty meh. I thought 3 was decent but not much more than that. The Suicide Squad was good I thought. I certainly enjoyed it as the best DC film since the Nolan Batmans. I preferred it to Joker, but can see Joker is objectively a better film, just subjectively I enjoyed TSS more. I also really liked the Peacemaker series. Everything else he’s directed has been really meh. So he has a very patchy record at best. Two great films, one good series, a couple of decent efforts - mainly because of the IP and cast - and a bunch of average stuff.

So I agree, he’s not one of those directors where his involvement is a guarantee of quality. The cast and premise for the new Superman seems very underwhelming.

Chumpsbechumps

I loved Snyders Superman movies.

WW and Aquaman were marvel movies with DC characters. I get why he was replaced but One thing Snyders movies weren’t , was Marvel copies.

Be interesting if Gunn try’s to marvel up the new DC universe. I hope they at least try and keep it unique. Gunn has done some fun movies like GOTG and good adult stuff like peacemaker and slither so he can hit a sweet spot.

Unam333

Nathan Fillion is in it so I'm basically contracted to watch it.

Thought and Snyder film that involved Superman we're abysmal, so won't take much for it to be better then those.
I didn't know that. I thought he was going to play Jonathan Kent, but nope. Was looking up the other cast members and their roles and they look very... colourful and maybe too much, like Raimi's Spider-Man 3 too much.

Mind you, I don't read the comics, so I have no idea who those characters are, Superman's allies or villians, but it looks to me as Gunn wants to recreate Guardians of the Galaxy, but with Superman characters.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

It's not just you I agree

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
I loved Snyders Superman movies.

WW and Aquaman were marvel movies with DC characters. I get why he was replaced but One thing Snyders movies weren’t , was Marvel copies.

Be interesting if Gunn try’s to marvel up the new DC universe. I hope they at least try and keep it unique. Gunn has done some fun movies like GOTG and good adult stuff like peacemaker and slither so he can hit a sweet spot.
Batman vs Superman is objectively terrible.

Wonder woman and Aquaman were released around the same time as Ragnarok, infinity war and endgame. DC wishes they were marvel films with DC characters back then.

Wing Attack Plan R

The superhero spoof he did with Rainn Wilson was okay, the first Guardians was good, but he’s been firing blanks ever since. No idea why they think he’s the man for the job.

Sylar

James gunn superhero stuff has been good. I haven't left the cinema thinking wtf was that like the man of Steel ending or bvS endings / movies. Snyder was great at having isolated scenes that looked cool but overall then made no sense (but would be awesome to fill a trailer with).

I liked the man of Steel stuff on krypton but agreed the Kent dad death could and should have been handled better if they wanted to tell the story of he can't save everybody.
Bvs was just three different films squashed into one.

I just want to see good dc property movies as the characters on the whole are more interesting but the execution has been such a let down especially with the Nolan and then mcu blueprints available

Chumpsbechumps

Batman vs Superman is objectively terrible.

Wonder woman and Aquaman were released around the same time as Ragnarok, infinity war and endgame. DC wishes they were marvel films with DC characters back then.
WW and AM did well because they were carbon copy marvel movies. They would easily slot into a marvel phase, can’t say the same for Snyders stuff that would look totally out of place. His gritty, darker style wouldn’t work.

BVS is subjectively enjoyable. Have you no guilty pleasure movie that isn’t 10/10 but you enjoyed it for whatever reason or do you think the things you enjoy are all objectively good?

Oldyella

The Kent dads death always felt ridiculous to me, especially when the death in the comics always felt just right anyway. He's a god among men, but that doesn't mean he can save his father from a heart attack. I always enjoyed MOS though, despite its flaws.

Tyler Hoechon is a good Superman as well. Honestly think he's never been poorly cast.

Chumpsbechumps

James gunn superhero stuff has been good. I haven't left the cinema thinking wtf was that like the man of Steel ending or bvS endings / movies. Snyder was great at having isolated scenes that looked cool but overall then made no sense (but would be awesome to fill a trailer with).

I liked the man of Steel stuff on krypton but agreed the Kent dad death could and should have been handled better if they wanted to tell the story of he can't save everybody.
Bvs was just three different films squashed into one.

I just want to see good dc property movies as the characters on the whole are more interesting but the execution has been such a let down especially with the Nolan and then mcu blueprints available
I admittedly have a soft spot for some Snyder stuff. Loved watchman dawn of the dead and just find I enjoy the feel of his movies. Some of his movies are a beautiful mess. Although rebel moon was awful.

BvS I did not like on first watch but enjoyed more on repeat, particularly extended cut. I thought his JL 4 hour movie was enjoyable aswell although I don’t know why he didn’t stick with the awesome score from BvS.

Wing Attack Plan R

I admittedly have a soft spot for some Snyder stuff. Loved watchman dawn of the dead and just find I enjoy the feel of his movies. Some of his movies are a beautiful mess. Although rebel moon was awful.

BvS I did not like on first watch but enjoyed more on repeat, particularly extended cut. I thought his JL 4 hour movie was enjoyable aswell although I don’t know why he didn’t stick with the awesome score from BvS.
Chumps, the bolded bit: why would you watch it again if you didn’t like it the first time?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Oh wow finally Superman hits the big screen.

Big Andy

Bloke
Is this yet ANOTHER origin story? And I assume this will kick of the rebooted DCEU?

Quite why they didn't use The Flash movie to completely reset everything is beyond me, it was an open goal for them to completely recast everyone but have a narrative as to why, and then you don't need to do the origin stories, but just introduce them organically.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Is this yet ANOTHER origin story? And I assume this will kick of the rebooted DCEU?

Quite why they didn't use The Flash movie to completely reset everything is beyond me, it was an open goal for them to completely recast everyone but have a narrative as to why, and then you don't need to do the origin stories, but just introduce them organically.
A sign that they still don't know wtf they are doing....

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Has there ever been a good Superman film possibly barring the first one?

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I liked Cavill as Superman, but MoS wasn't all that.

Chumpsbechumps

Chumps, the bolded bit: why would you watch it again if you didn’t like it the first time?
Good question.

I used to work in a video store and I don’t think I will ever do a job i loved as much, I love movies. That’s another story.

The short answer is that I’ve found over the years that sometimes my enjoyment of movies can depend on my mood , the circumstances of watching the movie and/or my attention when it’s on.

I watched “Magnolia” and hated it. Wasn’t ready for the style and quirky nature and wasn’t in the mood to pay attention. Turned it off an hour in. But one night was bored , flicking around and it was on channel 4. I started watching it again and I was absorbed in it.

I remember going to see watchmen in the cinema. Expected an X rated Xmen movie and was bored. Watched it again on tv and loved it. So my expectations shifted.

With BVS I just thought it was messy and squeezed too much into it. On rewatch I watched it to see what bits I enjoyed and realised there’s a lot I like about it. The Martha thing is bollox if you don’t enjoy the movie but if you let go it’s not really that much a problem. (I think that things like “same moms” happens in good movies but people don’t get upset cause your enjoyment of a movie determines what you choose will matter or annoy you).

Another thing with BVS was that I watched it again when on the ferry to France on my own. Cinema was empty and I was just starting my holidays and my wife was looking after the kids in our room. So was really nice and relaxing.

I’ve found that I’ve been able to take more from movies, flaws and all, as I’ve gotten older. There’s no benefit to raging on movies.

Like the newer alien movies. Aliens is my favourite movie possibly of all time. The newer movies aren’t anywhere close to them. But I don’t see them as a threat to my enjoyment of aliens and think they are decent (and beautifully made) horror movies within the franchise.

Equally watching alien covenant on France ferry was nice. I enjoy these movies more on repeat because like most I want them to be good and am disappointed in first viewing but unlike most I’m willing to watch again with lower expectations.

With movies I’m like Kevin smith where I focus more on what I can get from them then what i think is wrong. Wish I could do that with everything else in my life

Last edited:

HookedOnAPhelan

Superman films have all been shit. Superman Returns had such a great teaser, and the only film I really looked forward to, but the film ended up being completely different to what the teaser suggested.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
The following he has is genuinely strange.
Reactionary themes with very dubious low-brow politics. I guess it appeals to the masses. I would wager he's not a very intelligent man, the few interviews of his I've seen he comes across as very douchebaggy and "bro". There were elements of his Watchmen I kinda enjoyed, especially the director's cut, but he clearly didn't understand the subtext of the source material which was quite hilarious.

He's a hack.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Reactionary themes with very dubious low-brow politics. I guess it appeals to the masses. I would wager he's not a very intelligent man, the few interviews of his I've seen he comes across as very douchebaggy and "bro". There were elements of his Watchmen I kinda enjoyed, especially the director's cut, but he clearly didn't understand the subtext of the source material which was quite hilarious.

He's a hack.
It just seems to be the "superhero films aren't for kids!" thing, and by that they mean superhero films are actually for edgy 14 year-olds. No problem with people liking them as messy entertainment as said above, but that online following that has him as their entire personality is very odd. But yeah, hard to enjoy a Superman film where the climax is him snapping a neck, and the colour is almost entirely washed out.

I found the Watchmen tv series felt like a far more interesting adaptation, which is funny given it wasn't the one adapting the actual comic.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I thought his adaptation of Watchmen was pretty good, and the ending (Dr Manhattan instead of inter dimensional space alien) worked much better for the overall storyline. I don’t think he’s done anything good since then though.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I found the Watchmen tv series felt like a far more interesting adaptation, which is funny given it wasn't the one adapting the actual comic.
It 100% was - I rewatched it recently, and it really captured the idea of the comic book, the criticism of vigilantism, and was incredibly socially relevant considering when it came out. The whole tone of it was great, and some episodes were top notch television (This extraordinary being, A God walks into Abar...)