Television Superman and Lois

Sylar

2 Hour premier yesterday. Anybody going to watch this? I mean its part of the arrowvese / cwverse but it also looks like its shot differently to the other shows. And it is Superman which has a bigger name value than the rest of the arrowverse.

And to think, he was only meant to be a short cameo on Supergirl, but the actor nailed Superman / Clark Kent imo.

Its not an origin story, its the story from after all that, hes married to Lois and has kids. So SuperDad I guess.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Was hoping to see a young Teri Hatcher when I opened this thread.

Member 90887

I just can't, with the glasses thing.

it's difficult to go past that.

Sylar

Ah yes, is this the Superman who, when standing next to other superheroes looks both shorter and smaller than they? Only the CW.
I think hes bulked up since then especially since he first started.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

2 Hour premier yesterday. Anybody going to watch this? I mean its part of the arrowvese / cwverse but it also looks like its shot differently to the other shows. And it is Superman which has a bigger name value than the rest of the arrowverse.

And to think, he was only meant to be a short cameo on Supergirl, but the actor nailed Superman / Clark Kent imo.

Its not an origin story, its the story from after all that, hes married to Lois and has kids. So SuperDad I guess.
Yep, i'm looking forward to it! How was the premier?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It looks like somebody made the trailer as a parody.

Rustyspider13

I enjoyed the first episode. They're taking cinematography cues from Man of Steel but character cues from more classic Superman, which is the best of both worlds. I'm sure the teenage drama will get annoying real fast, but so far it's nothing egregious. The Clark-Lois relationship is best part of the show.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Superman, comfortably the most boring superhero out there, which is saying something.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I thought this was going to be a bit boring as the trailer didn't look great, but this was surprisingly really good. If you haven't watched it, give the first episode a try. People sat through the first couple of episodes of WandaVision and they were difficult to watch and then it got good, this is good from the start in my opinion.

Oldyella

Superman, comfortably the most boring superhero out there, which is saying something.
He shouldn't be. Even as a mainly Marvel guy, Superman can be a really interesting character, just bad writers dont know how to use him.

Sylar

Yep, i'm looking forward to it! How was the premier?
I delayed this for a reason (as I had it downloaded it but only watched it last night)

I liked it. I mean its not an origin story (which weve had) and its a character / actor weve seen already play the role. Its different to what were used to with Superman. His chemistry with Lois is good and i thought that with the other arrow crossovers.

Im interested to see where it goes, but for a premier, I really liked it. Its shot really well too, looks very cinematic.

I think this sums it up well

I enjoyed the first episode. They're taking cinematography cues from Man of Steel but character cues from more classic Superman, which is the best of both worlds. I'm sure the teenage drama will get annoying real fast, but so far it's nothing egregious. The Clark-Lois relationship is best part of the show.

Dante

Average bang
I really liked the tone they set for the narrative. Whereas Marvel is aimed primarily at teens, this was definitely aimed at adults - easily more so than Gotham, which I also quite liked.

I'm not the biggest fan of Superman because of how overpowered he is. If the writers can somehow realistically limit his abilities in the show's universe, I can see this series becoming very good. But I haven't watched any of the other recent DC spinoffs, so maybe I'm getting my hopes up about the direction this will go. Hopefully S&L can keep up with the standards of the pilot.

Dante

Average bang
Things are beginning to heat up now.

The writers aren't particularly good at family drama, but the main arc they've come up with is getting interesting.

Sylar

Things are beginning to heat up now.

The writers aren't particularly good at family drama, but the main arc they've come up with is getting interesting.
On glad somebody is watching and good to know
I am aiming to binge watch this as there are too many breaks here and there to get into full flow

I like the actor chosen for Superman as well

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Is there a Batman or Wonder Woman in this TV continuity?
I'm sure I read a while back that whoever is making all these DC shows doesn't have the rights to put Batman on the small screen, which is why they've had to get creative with stuff like Gotham, Pennyworth, etc.

There's a TV show being released as a companion piece to the next batman movie, but I'm not sure that will even feature Batman himself.

Sylar

Is there a Batman or Wonder Woman in this TV continuity?
Batman has been mentioned in batwoman so he's... Part of it
Without actually being cast

Though in one of the earths, there is an older Batman that was broken down

decorativeed

Enjoying this so far. Lots of interesting things going on, despite the corny bad guy with an English accent trope. The scene where a character gets chased through a field by dozens of English people with guns seems less realistic than a man flying, mind!

Drifter

American
Finally, got to watch the pilot episode, and was shocked on how this did not feel like a CW show at all, production value as gone up a notch , no wonder there is talk of it going to HBO Max. Looking forward to seeing where this goes with the remaining episodes.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
All the CW superhero stuff is wank. Romance/family dramas dressed up in a cape and mask.
Yes. Arrow season 2 was decent and a couple of the early Flash seasons were decent.

Then those cnuts Felicity and Iris ruined everything.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Yes. Arrow season 2 was decent and a couple of the early Flash seasons were decent.

Then those cnuts Felicity and Iris ruined everything.
Those two shows basically nosedived in overall quality after their first 2 seasons imo, they still had their moments and a few quality arcs (Adrian Chase deserves a special mention). Legends of Tomorrow is the only one that went from strength to strength after a slow start and I think that's because it embraced the wackiness and never took itself too seriously. I wonder whether the fact it wasn't based on a single hero allowed itself the freedom to develop its array of characters without pressure whereas Flash/Arrow took a lot of focus away from the main characters in favour of developing side characters which ended up causing more harm than good given we (or at least I) tuned in for the titular heroes.

Amir

I wonder whether the fact it wasn't based on a single hero allowed itself the freedom to develop its array of characters without pressure whereas Flash/Arrow took a lot of focus away from the main characters in favour of developing side characters which ended up causing more harm than good given we (or at least I) tuned in for the titular heroes.
I always thought so. Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl - all went the same way, from one hero to a bunch of them. And it never really worked for any of them.

padzilla

Hipster
I hate the bloody CW DC shows but this is definitely a step up. It was getting a bit teenage angsty for a few episodes and I thought oh here we go - only the CW could give us a live action Superman in his prime show and then base it on whiny teenagers instead. Thankfully the last three or four episodes have really upped the ante and focus on Kal El. It's making for cracking television right now and is the best live action depiction of Superman since the late 70s/ early 80s.

Lastwolf

I'm sure I read a while back that whoever is making all these DC shows doesn't have the rights to put Batman on the small screen, which is why they've had to get creative with stuff like Gotham, Pennyworth, etc.

There's a TV show being released as a companion piece to the next batman movie, but I'm not sure that will even feature Batman himself.
They do have the rights, CW is owned by WB who also own DC.

They have always been a bit more protective of Batman for some reason or another, Smallville and Arrow both started out as TV Batman projects but they said "pick something else" each time, Smallville because Batman Begins (though I think it was a Tim Burton remake still at that stage Edit: Was a Schumacher Batman: Year One remake) was in the works and they didn't want audience confusion with 2 Batmen. By the time Arrow came round they really didn't want to mess with the Nolanverse, but it's a bit more noticable as they do quite a bit of lifting with Batman's themes and badguys, at least in season 1.

I think if you pitched a good show these days though you could probably get it, whereas in years gone by it'd be a hard no, I'd spilt the difference and go live action Batman Beyond, though budget wise that wouldn't work on the CW.

Last edited:

Dante

Average bang
I'm on the fence about whether to watch the second season. I think it's more of a lockdown show than a regular-life show for me. Definitely didn't hate it. But It's better when it doesn't focus on the teen drama.

Milf-tastic though. Which is a big plus.

Sylar

Anyone watching season 2? It's been a decent start imo.
I binged s1 over the weekend / last week with the wife. Ive really enjoyed it.

Just started s2. Ive actually enjoyed the family dynamic as its the best part. Interested to see where they go with Jonathan.