g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Supporters that dont want Mourinho: What will he have to do to win you over?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
One wine against Midgetland and people think the academy is going to win us titles now. Not to mention that Vangle has spent £60m on two players already
You can never win against these people. They will turn everything upside down just to have one of their own managing a top club and if that means protecting the senile old managing who is keeping the seat warm until the chosen one 'come to age' so be it.

Its hilarious. Instead of criticizing LVG for pissing off so many players (some were actually our own youths who ended up asking for a transfer like Welbeck did while others are players he spent ridiculous amount of money on only for them to leave few months later) and ending up with a tiny squad which is unsuitable to compete on three fronts only to have to rely on youths, they end up criticizing Mourinho because he was wise enough for not ending up in this situation. I agree that Maureen should have done better in developing youth talent. Having said that its ridiculous to see people trying to portray this silly situation were United is being forced to play with loads of youths as something glorious. After all the way LVG handled true talent (not championship level players like Mcnair or Lingard) is disgraceful. Januzaj is a much better player than what we've seen this season

SalfordRed1960

You can never win against these people. They will turn everything upside down just to have one of their own managing a top club and if that means protecting the senile old managing who is keeping the seat warm until the chosen one 'come to age' so be it.

Its hilarious. Instead of criticizing LVG for pissing off so many players (some were actually our own youths who ended up asking for a transfer like Welbeck did while others are players he spent ridiculous amount of money on only for them to leave few months later) and ending up with a tiny squad which is unsuitable to compete on three fronts only to have to rely on youths, they end up criticizing Mourinho because he was wise enough for not ending up in this situation. I agree that Maureen should have done better in developing youth talent. Having said that its ridiculous to see people trying to portray this silly situation were United is being forced to play with loads of youths as something glorious. After all the way LVG handled true talent (not championship level players like Mcnair or Lingard) is disgraceful. Januzaj is a much better player than what we've seen this season
Don't be afraid to create your own story. Never let facts get in the way. There is a very big difference between LVG not delivering what we as fans want and the fiction you are creating.

devilish

Don't be afraid to create your own story. Never let facts get in the way. There is a very big difference between LVG not delivering what we as fans want and the fiction you are creating.
Its not fiction but reality. LVG's man management is shocking. Squad players who were respected and were happy to contribute to the team under SAF just packed their things and left under LVG. Even some of his own signings (Valdes and ADM) couldn't stick to him anymore and that just after few months from signing with us.

Also he shows complete ignorance for the EPL. For example no one in his right state of mind would use the 3-5-2 system in a league where wingplay is so important. Even Gary Neville, who knows a thing or two about being a fullback in the EPL thought that its almost impossible to cover that role. Not to forget this small squad mambo jumbo which left us without any players rather then youths to rely on.

There's a big difference between playing youths because a manager believes in them and playing them because we have no choice. Take SAF as an example. During the early 90s the old man took a big leap of faith by removing key players and introduce his youths. However everything was made with thought and youth players were introduced in a strong and experienced setup. Ryan Giggs became first teamer in 1992-1993 season. He was surrounded by experienced players like Irwin at his back, Keane and Ince at his side and Hughes/Cantona upfront. Two years after Gaz was given his chance. He could rely on the likes of Kanchelskis in front of him, Pally and Bruce at his side and Schmeichel at his back. Then the 1995-1996 was the big break with Scholes, Beckham and Butt getting a more prominent role in a team already filled with experienced players such as Schmeichel, Keane, Bruce, Pally, Irwin, Cantona + their own mates (who by that time had already gained 1-2 season EPL experience). LVG is putting youths in a team that lacks structure, it lacks of a system of play that works efficiently and it lack leaders. The first teamers has yet to settle down (Bastian, Schniederlin, Darmian etc), players keep on being played in the wrong positions/way (Mcnair, Carrick, Young and Blind in defense, Mata on the flanks, Jones taking corners) and you have no idea if in the next few months LVG will decide to get rid of the players he just signed. Its a frigging mess, a fire fighting situation that no one should applaud at.

Last edited:

Perrick Dubois

Please elaborate? Van Gaal stands on the brink of failing to hit any targets this season. That doesn't mean he won't mind, I don't understand how you can claim the high ground regarding facts in terms of results. They speak for themselves.

The Red Thinker

I do want Mourinho... but I have major lingering doubts.

- Will he give the likes of Rashford, CBJ and Lingard regular game time over the three years?
- Will he bring through the likes of Timothy Fosu Mensah and Regan Poole?
- Will he ever trust youth in the big games?

I am a huge fan of youth being a part of our team. If we manage to bring through a few players from our academy into the first team then regardless of the incredible education City will offer may kids will choose United for the singular reason that the odds of breaking through is much higher.

I am also a fan of this idea because these kids will never be disloyal to you. CBJ, Lingard, Rashford, Mensah... if they were to become actually very good and we brought them through, they are less likely to jump ship to some mega rich club simply because of the loyalty.

This is why youth is so important. It cuts costs. It helps to provide a long term base for progress and it secures the future of the club.

I am very unsure as to how Mourinho can manage this. He hasn't done it consistently ever in his career.

I understand Mourinho is a necessary evil. Something we must embrace to get us back to winning ways at the very top. But, I'd hate it if it was at the expense of our identity as a club.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
It is absolutely hilarious seeing Devilish claim we need more squad players, whereas when Fergie was using them he used to hate it and came up with names like John O'shit

lysglimt

Scout
Its not fiction but reality. LVG's man management is shocking. Squad players who were respected and were happy to contribute to the team under SAF just packed their things and left under LVG. Even some of his own signings (Valdes and ADM) couldn't stick to him anymore and that just after few months from signing with us.

Also he shows complete ignorance for the EPL. For example no one in his right state of mind would use the 3-5-2 system in a league where wingplay is so important. Even Gary Neville, who knows a thing or two about being a fullback in the EPL thought that its almost impossible to cover that role. Not to forget this small squad mambo jumbo which left us without any players rather then youths to rely on.

There's a big difference between playing youths because a manager believes in them and playing them because we have no choice. Take SAF as an example. During the early 90s the old man took a big leap of faith by removing key players and introduce his youths. However everything was made with thought and youth players were introduced in a strong and experienced setup. Ryan Giggs became first teamer in 1992-1993 season. He was surrounded by experienced players like Irwin at his back, Keane and Ince at his side and Hughes/Cantona upfront. Two years after Gaz was given his chance. He could rely on the likes of Kanchelskis in front of him, Pally and Bruce at his side and Schmeichel at his back. Then the 1995-1996 was the big break with Scholes, Beckham and Butt getting a more prominent role in a team already filled with experienced players such as Schmeichel, Keane, Bruce, Pally, Irwin, Cantona + their own mates (who by that time had already gained 1-2 season EPL experience). LVG is putting youths in a team that lacks structure, it lacks of a system of play that works efficiently and it lack leaders. The first teamers has yet to settle down (Bastian, Schniederlin, Darmian etc), players keep on being played in the wrong positions/way (Mcnair, Carrick, Young and Blind in defense, Mata on the flanks, Jones taking corners) and you have no idea if in the next few months LVG will decide to get rid of the players he just signed. Its a frigging mess, a fire fighting situation that no one should applaud at.
I can't speak for anyone else - for me it's a case of "no thanks" to LvG and "hm" to Mourinho. History shows that Mourinho never stays at a club more than 3-4 seasons. And I don't know what happened at Chelsea last season - but any manager who can turn a club with so many great players into complete disaster over the summer - nah I am sceptical.

DirtyOldTown

He does not have to win me over.... I've been desperate he take over since the day SAF announced his retirement.

He simply needs to make us win trophies again with a degree of dominnace. That in turn will ensure plenty of goals and excitement from high quality players.

I don't get the 'cut out the jackass' rhetoric. SAF's years were riddled with self righteous scandal but he was our jackass and I loved him for it.
Absolutely spot on.

devilish

I can't speak for anyone else - for me it's a case of "no thanks" to LvG and "hm" to Mourinho. History shows that Mourinho never stays at a club more than 3-4 seasons. And I don't know what happened at Chelsea last season - but any manager who can turn a club with so many great players into complete disaster over the summer - nah I am sceptical.
Look Maureen was my 3rd choice behind Ancelotti and Pep and I wouldn't be too much pissed off if we ends up with either Simeone (he's my 4th choice due to his lack of EPL experience) or Pocahontas (his lack of experience in winning trophies may hurt us). I know Maureen weaknesses although they are not the ones you mentioned

a- nearly all managers remain at a club 3-4 seasons before they feck off. Most of the time its beneficial to the club because unless the man is SAF whose able to embrace change and implement it successfully, the team risks of becoming predictable. Change is most of the time desired

b- Maureen lost the dressing room which is bad but is happening quite common especially when you're leading a pack of mercenaries. Allegri lost it at AC Milan, Lippi at Inter and I suspect that Pep fecked off to Shitty before that happened to him at Bayern (which bring us back to a)

My concerns about Mourinho are more about

a- his disregard in terms of youth academy
b- his relatively lack of experience in working under a tight budget (he's done at Porto but that was years ago)

Having said that let us not use the current administration MESS as a stick to bash him. We're playing youths because senile decided to trim the squad to ridiculous levels. Our team lack structure, gameplay and players! We've got a fire fighting situation rather then a serious and well planned plan in introducing youths.

Last edited:

SalfordRed1960

So let me see if I get this right. LVG could have the same size squad full of experienced players and you would be happy. However, if he takes a decision that he doesn't want a squad full of experienced players, you have a problem with it. In both cases he is forced to play players who he did not expect to play unless we have shocking number of injuries. In both cases, it is a plan, it is not unplanned.

As for mismanagement of players, like me and everyone not involved inside the club, you have absolutely no idea what his man management is like. So therefore you are fabricating a story to suit your view.

SalfordRed1960

Please elaborate? Van Gaal stands on the brink of failing to hit any targets this season. That doesn't mean he won't mind, I don't understand how you can claim the high ground regarding facts in terms of results. They speak for themselves.
The elaboration is many fans on here fabricating stories to justify their views.

As you say the style if football and the results speak for themselves and have been disappointing to say the least.

Twisting every word he says in a press conference, creating a negative for every time something good, no matter how small, occurs and speaking from a point of fact, when it is pure speculation beats me.

Look at the negativity written on here when he mentioned the word horny. When he explains the reason for the size of the squad or the reason for letting a certain player go on loan. There is no trying to understand his reasoning there is just constant bitterness towards him.

devilish

So let me see if I get this right. LVG could have the same size squad full of experienced players and you would be happy. However, if he takes a decision that he doesn't want a squad full of experienced players, you have a problem with it. In both cases he is forced to play players who he did not expect to play unless we have shocking number of injuries. In both cases, it is a plan, it is not unplanned.

As for mismanagement of players, like me and everyone not involved inside the club, you have absolutely no idea what his man management is like. So therefore you are fabricating a story to suit your view.
As thought you will see things wrong. Let me explain it again to you in simpler words maybe you will understand. Please feel free to ask if you are not understanding ok?

If LVG wanted to give a real chance to youths than he should have given then structure. That what SAF did. Back in the 90s everyone knew how Manchester United played and all players (from youths to first team) were well versed to SAF's 4-4-2 system which was not only effective but devastating. We can't say the same about senile who keep switching system (3-5-2, a narrow 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 etc) because he has no idea what he's doing. Also SAF made sure that the youths would go into a top quality side were the youth players would be surrounded and protected by top quality players who knew their role and had all the experience in the world to cover up for the young player's inexperience. Gaz was introduced to a defense which had Schmeichel at the back, two proper defenders (Bruce and Pally) at Gaz side and Kanchelskis in front of him. Giggs had Irwin at his back Hughes/Cantona in front and Ince and Keane at his side. LVG is introducing new defenders in a defense made up of makeshift wingers and midfielders, were CBs are expected to give corners, no 10s end up playing on the flanks and our best striker play as LW. On top of that the experienced players has yet to adapt to the 'philosophy' (if there's actually a philosophy in the first place) as the system is changed regularly. Not to forget that there's no guarantee that new players wouldn't be sold in few months time.

In few words there's a difference between introducing youths in the first team (ex what SAF did) because the manager believes in them and introducing them in a team which is basically a mess and because there's no other choice. There again there's also a difference between a great manager and being a football relic who won his last CL when Mark Hughes was still a United player

Last edited:

SalfordRed1960

As thought you will see things wrong. Let me explain it again to you in simpler words maybe you will understand. Please feel free to ask if you are not understanding ok?

If LVG wanted to give a real chance to youths than he should have given then structure. That what SAF did. Back in the 90s everyone knew how Manchester United played and all players (from youths to first team) were well versed to SAF's 4-4-2 system which was not only effective but devastating. We can't say the same about senile who keep switching system (3-5-2, a narrow 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 etc) because he has no idea what he's doing. Also SAF made sure that the youths would go into a top quality side were the youth players would be surrounded and protected by top quality players who knew their role and had all the experience in the world to cover up for the young player's inexperience. Gaz was introduced to a defense which had Schmeichel at the back, two proper defenders (Bruce and Pally) at Gaz side and Kanchelskis in front of him. Giggs had Irwin at his back Hughes/Cantona in front and Ince and Keane at his side. LVG is introducing new defenders in a defense made up of makeshift wingers and midfielders, were CBs are expected to give corners, no 10s end up playing on the flanks and our best striker play as LW. On top of that the experienced players has yet to adapt to the 'philosophy' (if there's actually a philosophy in the first place) as the system is changed regularly. Not to forget that there's no guarantee that new players wouldn't be sold in few months time.

In few words there's a difference between introducing youths in the first team (ex what SAF did) and being an absolute tosser, who made a huge mess up by trimming the squad too much without bringing adequate replacement and has to rely on youths because he can't do otherwise. There again there's also a difference between a great manager and a football relic who won his last CL when Mark Hughes was still a United player
What a load of BS, is that simple enough for you.

You don't like LVG, you want him gone, good for you. However, you are just writing an agenda based post full of pure fabrication, without any thought to what you are saying.

You seem to confuse, because obviously you do not want to listen to LVG, the reasons for making the squad the size and balance it is. It is not rocket science, he obviously did not expect for the likes of Riley, Love and Co to get games, and no one is stating anything different. However, he did expect the likes of Adnan, Pierrera, Lingard, McNair and maybe Wilson. He obviously saw that neither Adnan or Wilson were going to develop like he wanted without more game time, which he couldn't guarantee, so he loaned them out. He has a very clear plan of youth development. You obviously, have not bothered to look at the number of experienced players in the side or the fact pointed out by most professional players who have played at Ajax, that the players get taught to play two positions. We are well covered in all positions, bar striker.

Is that simple for you to understand.

devilish

It is absolutely hilarious seeing Devilish claim we need more squad players, whereas when Fergie was using them he used to hate it and came up with names like John O'shit
First of all there's a big difference between the likes of Hernandez whose scoring goals for fun at Leverkusen and the captain of one of the weakest defenses in the Premiership. One is a squad player, the other is dead wood. My point is that its pointless in introducing youth talent to a mess and I would certainly not applaud at a manager who is giving youths a chance because he has no choice

devilish

What a load of BS, is that simple enough for you.

You don't like LVG, you want him gone, good for you. However, you are just writing an agenda based post full of pure fabrication, without any thought to what you are saying.

You seem to confuse, because obviously you do not want to listen to LVG, the reasons for making the squad the size and balance it is. It is not rocket science, he obviously did not expect for the likes of Riley, Love and Co to get games, and no one is stating anything different. However, he did expect the likes of Adnan, Pierrera, Lingard, McNair and maybe Wilson. He obviously saw that neither Adnan or Wilson were going to develop like he wanted without more game time, which he couldn't guarantee, so he loaned them out. He has a very clear plan of youth development. You obviously, have not bothered to look at the number of experienced players in the side or the fact pointed out by most professional players who have played at Ajax, that the players get taught to play two positions. We are well covered in all positions, bar striker.

Is that simple for you to understand.
And once again instead of debating my argument you are coming with childish statements like you do not like LVG. We're not some nasty 10 year olds who are bullying the new boy in the park. Believe it or not I like LVG. He was a great manager whose ideas influenced football and he was instrumental in producing some of the finest talent that my generation had seen. However there's no denying that his ideas are obsolete and that he had created a mess at OT. I say the same to Arrigo Sacchi whose my second most favourite manager ever. Some of the things he said about football in the past 2-3 years are shockingly out of touch and I'd rather see us give Giggs a 10 year contract than bring Sacchi to replace LVG.

Returning to senile I would never applaud a man whose introducing youths to the team not because he believes in them and he had created the ideal environment for them to shine but simply because he made a right mess and now he has no choice but to rely on them

Last edited:

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
  • Play entertaining football regularly, im not expecting it every game, but i don't to just watch the pragmatic football his teams normally play, week in week out

• Build for the long term, bring through youngsters, not just buy players around the 27 year old mark. so that if he does just last his usual 3 years then he doesnt leave us needing another complete rebuild.

• Not like an absolute prick in every press conference!!!!

SalfordRed1960

And once again instead of debating my argument you are coming with childish statements like you do not like LVG. We're not some nasty 10 year olds who are bullying the new boy in the park. Believe it or not I like LVG. He was a great manager whose ideas influenced football and he was instrumental in producing some of the finest talent that my generation had seen. However there's no denying that his ideas are obsolete and that he had created a mess at OT. I say the same to Arrigo Sacchi whose my second most favourite manager ever. Some of the things he said about football in the past 2-3 years are shockingly out of touch and I'd rather see us give Giggs a 10 year contract than bring Sacchi to replace LVG.

Returning to senile I would never applaud a man whose introducing youths to the team not because he believes in them and he had created the ideal environment for them to shine but simply because he made a right mess and now he has no choice but to rely on them
That last point typifies your stance.

LVG explains why he has the squad he does. You obviously would not have done it that way. So you have taken the stance he is in a mess which he created and forced into things. When in fact he planned it all.

devilish

That last point typifies your stance.

LVG explains why he has the squad he does. You obviously would not have done it that way. So you have taken the stance he is in a mess which he created and forced into things. When in fact he planned it all.
He planned that he would struggle to make it to top 4, that United will be out of the cl so early and that we would end selling our record signing at a loss few months later? That's quite a process to understand. Maybe he also planned not to win the cl for more then 2 decades too while at it

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He will need to change his face.

SalfordRed1960

He planned that he would struggle to make it to top 4, that United will be out of the cl so early and that we would end selling our record signing at a loss few months later? That's quite a process to understand. Maybe he also planned not to win the cl for more then 2 decades too while at it
And you say my comments are childish.

He took a calculated risk on the squad balance by letting players go, it wasn't forced on him and there was some rationale behind that decision.

The experienced players are the ones that have not produced, not the youth. So to make negative points about the use of youth and the reason for their use it strange.

He obviously did not plan to be where we are in the league or out of the CL. The players and him screwed up.

devilish

And you say my comments are childish.

He took a calculated risk on the squad balance by letting players go, it wasn't forced on him and there was some rationale behind that decision.

The experienced players are the ones that have not produced, not the youth. So to make negative points about the use of youth and the reason for their use it strange.

He obviously did not plan to be where we are in the league or out of the CL. The players and him screwed up.
What you're saying doesn't even make sense. How can you defend someone on one hand and then say that he screwed up?

Also, I've never said that this messing up was forced on him. LVG decided to

a- trim the squad
b- refuse to buy players to replace those he had sold
c- keep changing formations
d- play midfielders and wingers in defense, our best striker and no 10 on the flanks and have our CB give corners

We're relying on youths not because LVG believes in them (he spent months relying on an off form Rooney rather then play Wilson, Martial (as striker) or Rashford) but simply because he has no choice

SalfordRed1960

What you're saying doesn't even make sense. How can you defend someone on one hand and then say that he screwed up?

Also, I've never said that this messing up was forced on him. LVG decided to

a- trim the squad
b- refuse to buy players to replace those he had sold
c- keep changing formations
d- play midfielders and wingers in defense, our best striker and no 10 on the flanks and have our CB give corners

We're relying on youths not because LVG believes in them (he spent months relying on an off form Rooney rather then play Wilson, Martial (as striker) or Rashford) but simply because he has no choice
Why does it have to be deemed as defending LVG just because I understand his reasons for making a specific decision. Doesn't mean I would do the same. I am responding to people fabricating storyline just to continue the negativity.

devilish

Why does it have to be deemed as defending LVG just because I understand his reasons for making a specific decision. Doesn't mean I would do the same. I am responding to people fabricating storyline just to continue the negativity.
I am not saying that you're defending LVG. I am only saying that the idea of him of justifying his mess up because he 'allegately' believe in youths is BS. He's relying on youths because he has no choice

Perrick Dubois

The elaboration is many fans on here fabricating stories to justify their views.

As you say the style if football and the results speak for themselves and have been disappointing to say the least.

Twisting every word he says in a press conference, creating a negative for every time something good, no matter how small, occurs and speaking from a point of fact, when it is pure speculation beats me.

Look at the negativity written on here when he mentioned the word horny. When he explains the reason for the size of the squad or the reason for letting a certain player go on loan. There is no trying to understand his reasoning there is just constant bitterness towards him.
He may explain the reason, but most fans are going to differ after watching for 5, 10, 20, 30, 50 years. They've seen this club do what it does, going against it for no reason can (practically has) blow up in your face. Which tends to rub fans the wrong way and want to moan about it here. Like we agree, the results really speak for themselves and it is disappointing, I felt it harsh to call devilish out there as he was being quite rational and black and white about it and not doing what you are accusing him of. Fair play.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
What an appropriate tag you have
Well this is nothing to do with me wumming is it.

You seem to have a lot of time to spend slating Neville or Giggs or Fergie and a lot of time slating our current manager. However when there's an actual premier league match on you still find time to post consistently. You are evidently not watching the match properly if you're on here posting long winded posts. The actual football and supporting the team part of being a fan seems to have passed you by.

devilish

Well this is nothing to do with me wumming is it.

You seem to have a lot of time to spend slating Neville or Giggs or Fergie and a lot of time slating our current manager. However when there's an actual premier league match on you still find time to post consistently. You are evidently not watching the match properly if you're on here posting long winded posts. The actual football and supporting the team part of being a fan seems to have passed you by.
Its called technology and multitasking. My line of work allowed me to develop an analytic eye. I can observe and do many things at once. In matter of fact I find it difficult to focus on one thing at a time these days

Feck, I am feeding the troll again

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Its called technology and multitasking. My line of work allowed me to develop an analytic eye. I can observe and do many things at once. In matter of fact I find it difficult to focus on one thing at a time these days

Feck, I am feeding the troll again
:lol:

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Was not Mourinhos fault that Mata fecked up basically. Had Mata not miss-controlled that pass, the game could have been different.

Mourinhos whole philosophy away from home is to grind out wins. Defence must be airtight. Today we made not one mistake but two.

vidic blood & sand

Was not Mourinhos fault that Mata fecked up basically. Had Mata not miss-controlled that pass, the game could have been different.

Mourinhos whole philosophy away from home is to grind out wins. Defence must be airtight. Today we made not one mistake but two.
I didn't bump this thread for today's game, but overall.
I've never been a fan of Mourinho, but have respected him for what he did last season, and his ability to attract top players. However, with a lot of money spent, and his recent tactics with the liverpool and benfica game, and comments involving PSG, I'm starting to fear the worst. We are dealing with one hell of an ego.

Kapardin

He's had a few windows to get the defence right and he's failed miserably at it.
Defense? Really? Was this the first game you watched?:lol:

Our 4 central defenders - Jones, Smalling, Bailly and Rojo - bar Lindelof are the best set a top 6 team can hope for in the league.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I’m starting to think that the club has now completed a trilogy of wrong appointments post Ferguson.

AshRK

I didn't bump this thread for today's game, but overall.
I've never been a fan of Mourinho, but have respected him for what he did last season, and his ability to attract top players. However, with a lot of money spent, and his recent tactics with the liverpool and benfica game, and comments involving PSG, I'm starting to fear the worst. We are dealing with one hell of an ego.
Lot of money only got us 7 players to he fair. So this whole notion as if he has changed the whole squad is a foolish one to have. If anything, he should have got more players.