Supporting other English teams in European competition...

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Never, for me. I appreciate pundits are trying to put some sort of ‘England first’ hat on, but it seems to stretch beyond just them from what I read, and I’m not having it at all.

RedCurry

Well the thing is, farther the English teams go in European competition, better it is for the coefficient for all English teams.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If we're not there, then sure, so long as it's not Chelsea, Liverpool, City or Arsenal. Spurs I don't really care about. And everyone else would be just be a plucky underdog story, so that'd be fine.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I was gonna support United tomorrow because I always support other english teams but you can all feck off now.

Joking aside. I'm hope you win the Uefa Cup.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Never understood it. I want Rangers to lose every time they play in Europe even though it's great for the coefficient if they do well.

Basically pettiness and rivalry > common sense and the greater good and I wouldn't change it for the world :lol:

Chipper

Adulterer.
Smaller plucky club I have done, but nobody I'd consider a rival to United.

Found myself really behind Fulham on their run in Europe and to a lesser extent Middlesbrough. Even Leicester a little bit in the CL.

Should be an insult of sorts - if I'm doing it I don't take your club seriously.

Bojan11

Well the thing is, farther the English teams go in European competition, better it is for the coefficient for all English teams.
Does coefficient even matter? I thought England were guaranteed four places due to pressure from the clubs and broadcasters. BT pay a shit load, they want to see more English teams in the competition.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I can’t work out whether Rio is genuinely upset that City went out or is just ‘doing his job’.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I am not English but in my country it is "patriotic" to support other clubs in Europe. And for me; it is huge BS. I don't care how most of them will finish and when rival club play in Europe then i want him to lose. If your rival lose; you are happy. Because it is club's football.

When my NT play then i am in full patriotic mode (NT is above everything in football for me :nervous: ).

Revaulx

Depends. When Birmingham City got relegated having won the League Cup, they had a horrendous Europa League group involving loads of unglamorous opponents in far away places. Managed by Chris Hughton, they really went for it and I admired them hugely for it.

Otherwise, no.

dbs235

Surprised at how much McManaman was supporting City tonight to be honest. Didn't think Fletcher was particually biased.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I’m happy for them to get the quarters for something to watch and some interest but panic if they get any further, always root against them

Superunknown

I had a long and intensive argument with somebody at work over this one debate.

Absolutely not. It is not a national team competition where we are all Team England. It is a club competition. You support your own club and that's that. You may have soft spots for other clubs for whatever reason. E.g. you may have lived in a certain area or have family there, or whatever reason you may choose. But, the whole notion of supporting other teams purely for them being from the same country as the team that you support is...dumb.

Had City have gone through tonight, I would have fully wanted Bayern Munich to destroy them.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Naaaah. I want every major English club to get totally spanked and I want to see their fans in tears. It's the next best thing to winning it ourselves.

Giggs' right foot

Never understood it. Rather have the English coefficient drop below Luxembourg, than cheer on a rival... feck off.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I just support whichever team I like more wherever they’re from. Don’t take rivalry as serious anymore.

Paul_Scholes18

City and Liverpool I want to get knocked out. The others I don't care that much about like Spurs and Chelsea.

RoyH1

Nope. Never a big club that we have any semblance of a rivalry with. Maybe if it's a smaller, for us less than relevant club like for example Crystal Palace/Fulham and they're the underdog against a big European side.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Never. I never wanted fellow English teams to do well, not even in the Europa. I find it weird when people do.

I knew some United fans in college who wanted Arsenal to beat Barcelona in the 2006 final because the 'cup should stay in England'. feck off :lol:

Irwin99

Why would you support a rival clubs win when they, you now, are your rivals? Liverpool win a 6th European cup and their fans (rightly) gloat about it for years to come and we're supposed to say you know, I really wanted you guys to win it anyway because you're an English club :houllier:

Djemba-Djemba

How many fans of other English clubs do you reckon supported Utd over the years in Europe?

I'm guessing pretty close to zero.

So feck em.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I do this all the time & I dont really care what people think about me because it makes me no less or more a fan of my own club what I decide to do as a neutral on a different match.

It's not always consistent- it can be on and off;

But ultimately I have no significant 'hatred' of other teams including our rivals unless we are the ones who play them.

When it comes to Europe - I feel like I watch the Rivals more every week than the spanish clubs, italian clubs, French and German clubs.

Furthermore, I significantly like to see how the English national team progress and alot of our rivals will have these players playing for them than a foreign club.

Another thing is - as others have said, if English teams are the best in the CL - it effects all the teams in the PL in a positive way in transfers and qualities.

I will usually go neutral headed with the intention of supporting the foreign side but everytime the British team scores it doesnt really hurt me and it feels kind of weird like i didnt really mind it. (Spurs comeback vs Ajax)

A game like today where City dont have many british players and play significant underdogs like Lyon are near impossible to support so I support the French team instead.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I don't even do it with Portuguese teams. I take pride in watching the other 2 corrupt fecks get battered and exposed in Europe.

Pagh Wraith

Nationality is never a factor for me when deciding who to support in a match. Not even at international level

diarm

Depends on who the club is. When it's a plucky underdog like Fulham, Southampton, Everton, Spurs or Leicester I'll always shout for them to do well. But not when it's a wrong sort like City or Chelsea and certainly not when it's a proper rival like Liverpool.

Kaos

I just support the underdogs, unless its City, Liverpool or Chelsea. I don't really mind Spurs or even Arsenal these days, and would happily root for them over continental plastic clubs like PSG or obnoxious teams like Barca/Real.

I do want Juve to win it though, their dodgy antics aside a decade ago, I do have somewhat of a soft spot for them.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I just support the underdogs, unless its City, Liverpool or Chelsea. I don't really mind Spurs or even Arsenal these days, and would happily root for them over continental plastic clubs like PSG or obnoxious teams like Barca/Real.

I do want Juve to win it though, their dodgy antics aside a decade ago, I do have somewhat of a soft spot for them.
Part of me wouldn’t mind Buffon getting it just once, but other than that - I’d always rather a small club that doesn’t directly or indirectly diminish United. So Juve bs Leipzig, I’d always rather Leipzig. Another Juve win just adds to another rival on a continental level, adds to any ‘Juve are a greater club than United’ debate that may occur.

If Bayern meet Leipzig in the final, then as plastic as Leipzig are, I’d prefer them to win, as nobody sees them as a big club anyway. PSG are plastic, but have some sort of guise of a big club, so feck them.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yes. I vaguely remember supporting Germany in the Euro 96 final. That must have been the last time.
What about when they won the World Cup? International football is different for me. If a Liverpool player plays for my country then he’s one of mine at the time. If my country isn’t involved, then I think club bias takes precedence for me in the main. Maybe not for the match result, but for the individual players. Like, if Aguero missed the chance Sterling missed tonight for Argentina, it would make me happy, as he’s a City player.

A-man

During matches- never. But at the same time, it kind of shows the quality of the PL. This year, one PL team to quarter finals and no to the semis... indicates that PL is not so strong compared to other leagues.
When two PL teams were inCL finals and two EL finals, shows PL is strong.

AFC NimbleThumb

Have never understood the concept; we don’t need them to go further to up coefficients & the like so I honestly don’t get it.

Never seems to be a topic when United are involved.

If it’s a domestic rival I want them out of competitions but if it’s a club on a run as say Fulham did a few years back I want them to win something. Had we been knocked out Id have wished Wolves well against Sevilla for instance.