Sven-Göran Eriksson | diagnosed with terminal cancer

TrailMonkey

Awful news.

Some great memories from the early part of his time with England. Still can't work out how that golden generation achieved nothing - far more to it than the Lamps/Scholes/Gerrard debacle.

Righteous Steps

Awful news.

Some great memories from the early part of his time with England. Still can't work out how that golden generation achieved nothing - far more to it than the Lamps/Scholes/Gerrard debacle.
If you look back at it, it was really key moments that stopped them i think people talk too much of it, they went to penalties a couple times, Rooney being sent off at bad time, Gerrard backpass against France, most of the times it wasn't a systematic failure like some people like to paint.

It also coincided with times where other nations could boast the likes of Henry Zidane Viera or Ronaldinho R9 Cafu Kaka in their ranks for example, wasn't the only golden generation happening in Europe or world football at the time.

Matson

That's so sad. Cancer is just so horrible. Lost my mother last year to it and it's just one of the worst things imaginable to go through.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
Very sad news - the last England manager to get me invested in international football. His off-field activities were astonishing - you have to doff your cap to the man.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
At the end of the day he didn't succceed, but...
In Euro 2004 the ref ignored a penaly of Jorge Andrade over Rooney, who got injured in that foul. So, a poor refereeing and a lucky play that ended up in Postiga (a player that would normally fail 10 out of 1 chances) got you out of the tournament. I think you would had won this tournament if it wasn't for this.

At 2006 bad refereeing had Rooney sent off, but that team was not as solid as 2 years before IMO.

BigRon1985

A few years ago a retired guy joined my company as a part time driver to keep occupied and get out the house. When I found out he was a lifelong United fan we got on like a house on fire and would reminisce about the halcyon days of the 70/80s under The Doc and Big Ron. Things got really interesting when he told me he had worked for the FA for 30 years before he retired. When I asked him who his favourite England manager was his answer surprised me - it was Sven! He could'nt speak highly enough of him! Whenever Sven visited the main office he would greet every single member of admin staff with a handshake and address them by their first name. He would spend a few minutes with each of them asking them how they were and after their family - he was a real gentleman, a class act!

Still a randy old goat mind you!

RVN1991

Terrible bit of news. Hopefully he beats it, left a really good impression here in Mexico even if the football and the results were mediocre at best. Very good manager in his heyday.

Red Royal

So sad, and what a brave statement by Sven. He failed at the England managers job but I wish him peace in this battle.

Cancer is a b1tch.

Needham

Sorry news. If anyone had the temperament to take the mad brickbats that came with being the first foreign manager of England it was him. Used to think he was a tad shallow but really enjoyed his autobiography, which revealed his laissez faire approach to be a kind of respectworthy bullishness. All the best, Swen.

flameinthesun

Awful news.

Looking back at that era and the amount of superstars there were across all teams maybe it was just a period where a lot of countries were stacked. Brazil were fairly stacked, Germany, Italy and eventually Spain. A lot more than they seem to be today. If anything the current England squad is a lot stronger overall relative to what its competing against which is pretty much only France in terms of national teams being at their strongest.

lex talionis

Sad news. The less said about his management of the England NT, the better for everyone.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
One has to wonder the butterfly ratification on world football had Fergie retired and he got the job instead, a fun thought experiment for sure.

Wish him strength in his fight and peace when the time comes.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I don’t think you can slag Sven off too much for the England thing. We were knocked out by the better side each time and got pretty far in each tournament, of which he only got 3. It’s not like he did a Hodgson and got knocked out in the group, or a McClaren who didn’t even qualify!

Yes he played Scholes wide, but there has to have been some pressure to have gerrard and Lampard in the team. I don’t believe he would’ve been allowed to drop one of them tbh.

Sad to hear he’s nearing the end, always seemed like a real gent.

Marvin look out

76 years is a long life at least.

I've always wondered if it's better to know that you're gonna die in a few months or die unexpectedly. I have no idea what I would choose if given the choice.

arthurka

Met the guy once couple of years back waiting for a flight in Copenhagen. He was there eating a Croissant and drinking coffee next to me so I started chatting with him about football and everything in-between. Absolute encyclopedia of football knowledge knew absolutely everything, players from all leagues all over the fecking world and a brilliant bloke nice and genuine. Thought he was a very good manager for England but like any manager got shafted by the press. Feck cancer.

Bojan Djordjic

Awful news.

They all hated each other in those squads. Club rivalry followed them into the England camp and probably affected team harmony. Bad vibes.

BigRon1985

He's on Talksport at the moment - bearing up remarkably well under the circumstances......

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Nice touch by the scousers to make it all about them. Fkn grief merchants