Sweden 1948 VS EAP - NT peak draft

Who would win based on their peak in the chosen tournament?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
The way I see it is Rijkaard and Voronin are the two who will handle that battle but I must admit I don't really think Annah has sold me the fact he can deal with Seeler whose one of my favourite strikers ever and hence why I am in two minds
Come on, you have peak Cruyff who was lethal down in left wing and you can be sure he'll prefer to be facing off against Bergmark rather than Rijkaard in a packed area. Rijkaard will probably drop back to make the 2nd CB and support Bergmark which leave on oncoming Masopust ability to cause trouble.

I rate Gullit's peak as higher than Voronin and again the ability to drift wide makes Neeskens lethal.

Annahnomoss

Come on, you have peak Cruyff who was lethal down in left wing and you can be sure he'll prefer to be facing off against Bergmark rather than Rijkaard in a packed area. Rijkaard will probably drop back to make the 2nd CB and support Bergmark which leave on oncoming Masopust ability to cause trouble.

I rate Gullit's peak as higher than Voronin and again the ability to drift wide makes Neeskens lethal.

Voronin took out Eusebio and Albert of the game. His job on Gullit would be about as good as a defensive job comes.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
The whole Dutch philosophy was built on exploitation of space and moving into space. Here you have oodles of space in wide midfield for me to bring the ball forward and Cafu/Briegel and Masopust/Neeskens are well versed in getting the best out of it.

Both Rijkaard and Voronin will not be that effective out wide and will probably have to drop back to the defensive line when Gullit/Cuyff attack from there. Which leave the front of defence prime for onrushing Masopust/Neeskens to take advantage.

Cafu brings the ball in right flank (no one really to challenge him here).
Gullit takes on Nilsson and drags him wide. Voronin drops back to CB to provide cover.
Neeskens is there coming onto the box to take advantage.

Annahnomoss

The whole Dutch philosophy was built on exploitation of space and moving into space. Here you have oodles of space in wide midfield for me to bring the ball forward and Cafu/Briegel and Masopust/Neeskens are well versed in getting the best out of it.

Both Rijkaard and Voronin will not be that effective out wide and will probably have to drop back to the defensive line when Gullit/Cuyff attack from there. Which leave the front of defence prime for onrushing Masopust/Neeskens to take advantage.

Cafu brings the ball in right flank (no one really to challenge him here).
Gullit takes on Nilsson and drags him wide. Voronin drops back to CB to provide cover.
Neeskens is there coming onto the box to take advantage.
Rijkaard and Voronin won't follow. The entire idea behind it is to let the opponent have possession out wide while you dominate the box. So while "Cafu/Briegel and Masopust/Neeskens" are out wide they won't be challenged as they have to beat Bergmark/Nilsson then Rijkaard/Voronin if they want to do anything but cross the ball. Hard thing to beat a defender who is not committing himself to try and take the ball back and who doesn't care about a corner. As that suits the agenda of the aerial prowess the team is built around.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Hmm I don't see the whole Dutch philosophy merged with this Christmas tree format with some of these players especially against this opponent. Fullbacks have almost full time defensive duty with the quality of the classic winners on display here. Won't be providing much width on the attack which Cruyff thrives on the overlapping which is lacking here on the left. And might as well as just put Gullit out on the actual right flank if you want to provide width there. I also am not feeling Nobby Stiles, Ruggeri and Collavati in a total footballing Xmas tree scheme. just feels a bit off.
That said Annah had to pick my least favorite formation of all time and portrayed with some WTF wonky graphics. What are the balls and questions marks supposed to even mean??
so I am :houllier: :lol:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Rijkaard and Voronin won't follow. The entire idea behind it is to let the opponent have possession out wide while you dominate the box.
I think this highlights my advantage. Both of us have a centralized theme here, with the difference being.....I'm flexible enough to take advantage of your narrow-ness, whereas you do not.

+ I can attack wide and defend centrally.
+ It just make me get the ball to your defence easily and quickly.
+ Lots of possession without any challenges.

So while "Cafu/Briegel and Masopust/Neeskens" are out wide they won't be challenged as they have to beat Bergmark/Nilsson then Rijkaard/Voronin if they want to do anything but cross the ball. Hard thing to beat a defender who is not committing himself to try and take the ball back and who doesn't care about a corner. As that suits the agenda of the aerial prowess the team is built around.
This is where it becomes a 3 vs 2 advantage for me.

Bergmark will have an overlapping Cafu to deal with and Gullit keeping Rijkaard occupied. What happens to Neeskens? I expect Neeskens and Masopust to have their best games here. Cruyff and Gullit will drag and occupy your defenders while Neeskens and masopust moving up will cause havoc.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Won't be providing much width on the attack which Cruyff thrives on the overlapping which is lacking here on the left.
What? Masopust is an upgrade on WvH and is a left halfback. He's more than capable of operating in wide areas to bring the ball forward. And Annah himself has admitted that he has conceded the wide areas to my team so I'm lost here. Where is the lack of wide service for Cruyff coming from? :confused:

The entire idea behind it is to let the opponent have possession out wide
And why would Briegel or Cafu not make use of freely available uncontested space when we have possession? Briegel facing Hamrin will not venture too much, but will Support Masopust who is a brilliant ball carrier both centrally and out wide. His slalom runs and dribblers will be hard to track.

Annahnomoss

I think this highlights my advantage. Both of us have a centralized theme here, with the difference being.....I'm flexible enough to take advantage of your narrow-ness, whereas you do not.

+ I can attack wide and defend centrally.
+ It just make me get the ball to your defence easily and quickly.
+ Lots of possession without any challenges.

This is where it becomes a 3 vs 2 advantage for me.

Bergmark will have an overlapping Cafu to deal with and Gullit keeping Rijkaard occupied. What happens to Neeskens? I expect Neeskens and Masopust to have their best games here. Cruyff and Gullit will drag and occupy your defenders while Neeskens and masopust moving up will cause havoc.

This is my team in that situation.
Liedholm and Gren are central midfielders operating just outside the area with Rijkaard and Voronin inside the area. A deep defensive line and as the ball is won back Hamrin, Skoglun and Nordahl are in a 3 vs 3 situation with Liedholm/Gren bursting forward to to lead the counter if Masopust/Neeskens are out of position.

"Both of us have a centralized theme here, with the difference being.....I'm flexible enough to take advantage of your narrow-ness, whereas you do not."

Come on. I have two great wingers in Nacka who provides natural width and crossing and Hamrin who'd beat his men and set up goals or go on dribbling raids on goal. They're also freed from defensive responsibility and will cause a lot of damage for that reason.

Annahnomoss

Hmm I don't see the whole Dutch philosophy merged with this Christmas tree format with some of these players especially against this opponent. Fullbacks have almost full time defensive duty with the quality of the classic winners on display here. Won't be providing much width on the attack which Cruyff thrives on the overlapping which is lacking here on the left. And might as well as just put Gullit out on the actual right flank if you want to provide width there. I also am not feeling Nobby Stiles, Ruggeri and Collavati in a total footballing Xmas tree scheme. just feels a bit off.
That said Annah had to pick my least favorite formation of all time and portrayed with some WTF wonky graphics. What are the balls and questions marks supposed to even mean??
so I am
:houllier: :lol:
:lol: Prefer that critique than his though!

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
That's not a realistic portrayal at all.
- Neither WM nor your players are getting accurately represented here.
- Liedholm is the more likely to drop back and operate behind the halfway line. I'd totally discount Gren/Hamrin/Skolgund from the defensive phase as their contributions will be minimal.

And if your wings drop back so deep, how is that a counter attacking side? You'll run with the ball all the way back? And beat my defenders who are already in position and still score?

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
- Liedholm is the more likely to drop back and operate behind the halfway line. I'd totally discount Gren/Hamrin/Skolgund from the defensive phase as their contributions will be minimal.

And if your wings drop back so deep, how is that a counter attacking side? You'll run with the ball all the way back? And beat my defenders who are already in position and still score?
That's usually how it works.

Annahnomoss

Both Liedholm and Gren post 1947 were doing defensive jobs. Raynor didn't appreciate Grens lack of a work rate before that and helped him change in to a player who could even do a job further down.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
That's usually how it works.
Hamrin/Skolgund are probably at par with Figo as defensive workrate goes. Not really the Bekham'esque display in sheet above. They'll probably be hovering around up ahead waiting for a pass from Liedholm (who I expect to be the deepest of offensive 5) to spring him up and try to exploit space behind my CB's.

I can understand that formation sheet if it was Nedved or Beckham, but not from Hamrin and Skolgund. And that's definitely not the way counter is supposed to work in Annah's team.

Annahnomoss

Hamrin/Skolgund are probably at par with Figo as defensive workrate goes. Not really the Bekham'esque display in sheet above. They'll probably be hovering around up ahead waiting for a pass from Liedholm (who I expect to be the deepest of offensive 5) to spring him up and try to exploit space behind my CB's.

I can understand that formation sheet if it was Nedved or Beckham, but not from Hamrin and Skolgund. And that's definitely not the way counter is supposed to work in Annah's team.
Way worse than Figo mate. :lol: They weren't even close to that sort of level defensively, they rather ignored it and focused on counters.

antohan

Why do you see a Beckham or Nedved there? I don't expect them to do jack defensively, but they sure wouldn't be loitering around the opposition penalty area when the action is in their own box. Drop to the half way line to kickstart the counter from there. That is exactly where you would expect them to be.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Way worse than Figo mate. :lol: They weren't even close to that sort of level defensively, they rather ignored it and focused on counters.
Why do you see a Beckham or Nedved there? I don't expect them to do jack defensively, but they sure wouldn't be loitering around the opposition penalty area when the action is in their own box. Drop to the half way line to kickstart the counter from there. That is exactly where you would expect them to be.
I somehow was focusing on Gren/Liehdolm and got myself confused with Hamrin/Skolgund.

I need some coffee.

:(

Annahnomoss

The issue is that they are facing a modern formation where your full backs would make it a crazy game of eras. The full backs bombing up and down never happened back then so the only answer to it would be to fall down as you push further forward down the wing. Something that didn't happen when they played other WM's as then both teams stood up more and went back to back at each other and had no full backs.

The same way it is insane for Cafu and Breigel to have to deal with two wingers who ignore them and just abuse the space behind them. I'm not sure how that would play out in a real game but I'd imagine that the full backs would play a very defensive game with four at the back pretty much.

Annahnomoss

That describes it perfectly.

Annahnomoss

I somehow was focusing on Gren/Liehdolm and got myself confused with Hamrin/Skolgund.

I need some coffee.

:(
Like I wrote in the player profile. Their positional work was that off an offensive box to box midfielder and Liedholm was known for his supreme fitness and stamina for the time. But their defensive work was strictly positional and they wouldn't be hounding any players around to win the ball back. Not that they stood still and were useless, they'd win a ball back too here and there but that wasn't part of the game plan, just to line up against the opponents left/right half combination. Basically Neeskens/Masopust who you could still see get past Gren or Liedholm at times.

antohan

The same way it is insane for Cafu and Breigel to have to deal with two wingers who ignore them and just abuse the space behind them. I'm not sure how that would play out in a real game but I'd imagine that the full backs would play a very defensive game with four at the back pretty much.
You don't need to have both bombing forward though, they can take turns or, more likely, focus on giving more freedom to the one creating the most damage (likely Cafú).

The problem isn't whether they can go forward at all, get back, etc. The problem is Ruggeri and Collovatti aren't the best central pair to be covering up for AWOL fullbacks. I don't see Briegel venturing much at all, and if Cafú does I'd expect Neeskens to stay more conservative than usual.

That last option would work very well, the question is whether the manager will instruct his players properly as he seems not to know his right from his left or the oppo wingers from the AMs.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
The problem isn't whether they can go forward at all, get back, etc. The problem is Ruggeri and Collovatti aren't the best central pair to be covering up for AWOL fullbacks. I don't see Briegel venturing much at all, and if Cafú does I'd expect Neeskens to stay more conservative than usual.
Ruggeri was a RCB in Back 3. He should be OK to deal anything passing Briegel and as you say it's a more defensive flank.

That last option would work very well, the question is whether the manager will instruct his players properly as he seems not to know his right from his left or the oppo wingers from the AMs.
Yeah, not really in my form here. Monday blues!

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Refreshing game where the 2 managers don't take themselves too seriously.

I will watch the videos/gifs and read carefully the posts in order try to understand the 'game dynamics'.

Then, post my comments tomorrow.

antohan

Ruggeri was a RCB in Back 3. He should be OK to deal anything passing Briegel and as you say it's a more defensive flank.
As you say, Ruggeri was RCB in a back 3, he is in a pair here. If he shifts out he leaves Collovatti, not Brown and Cuciuffo. In any case, that's not an issue IMO as I can't see Briegel leaving that side exposed. It's Collovatti covering Cafú that I'd worry about, which is why I think Neeskens should hold his position with an eye on Skoglund when Cafú goes for it.

Annahnomoss

Bengt "Julle" Gustavsson

Position: Defender(CB/SB/DM)
Height: 1.82m
Weight: 81kg
NT Achievements:
World Cup Silver - 1958
Fussballweltmeisterschaft 1958 "Best centre back of the tournament"

Career Statistics
Team--------Matches-------
Club------------292-----------
Sweden--------57------------

Peak Statistics - 1958-61
Team--------Matches-------
Club------------292-----------
Sweden--------57--
---------

By the end of the year, Dr. Becker had prepared his book on the 1958 World Cup called “Fussballweltmeisterschaft 1958” and taken from that book is the following excerpt which again tackles the best players of the tournament, based on his own opinion and that of various journalists he met in Sweden.

The best centre half of the tournament was according “Fussballweltmeisterschaft 1958” none other than Bengt Gustavsson.

In the Ballon d'Or the same year he was nomineed and had as many votes as Yashin, Suarez and settled himself as one of the very finest centre backs of the season.

Style of play

The Swedish defenders in George Raynors side played a simple game, but the beauty was in how perfect they played it. Their job was massive and they had nearly all defensive responsibility in the team. The two wingers and the strikers tried to force a long pass from the opponents and it was up to the defenders to make sure that turned to a won ball for the Swedes.

Gustavsson had decent technique and ball playing ability but it was as a pure stopper that he shined. As soon as the opponents played a longer ball towards the striker, Gustavsson would read the play before it happened and started bombarding forward to close down the space. And just as the opponent received the ball, 81 kg of steel at full speed put in a brutal tackle to force a weak first touch or to win the ball.

Against Soviet the Swedish defense with Gustavsson in the lead repeated this simple trick repeatedly and completely shut down the great Soviet attack completely over the course of the game.

A combination of reading when the pass would be played, fantastic pace and recovery pace and then a mighty strength and a well precision tackled was all he needed. The back three tended to all have this balance to their game combined with a great aerial ability to close down the chance for aerial balls leading to something.

Orvar Bergmark
Position: Defender(RCB, CB, RB)
Height: 1.80m
Weight: 75 kg
NT Achievements:
World Cup Silver - 1958
All star team - 1958 - Best RB of the tournament
World XI - 1960, 1961 - Best RB in the world
----
Style of play

With his great reading of the game he knew exactly when to push forward aggressively to win the ball back for the team before the forward got to touch it unchallenged. Simple, but he excelled at exactly that with a remarkable mix of strength, pace, acceleration and ability to recover back to his position after a tackle.

Orvars defensive game was described as modern as he loved to support the winger, he had a pace and stamina which allowed him to act over large areas. His positioning meant he was always in the right place and he had a way of contorting himself to make perfect tackles and it earned him a world reknowned ability of getting a toe on the most balls even when he ran behind them.

Against Soviet in '58 he put on a masterclass, with the Swedish defense, and won the ball back before they could establish an attack almost every time. It is fascinating that a relatively simple player was rated so highly and it is proof of how efficient and solid he was.

Annahnomoss

Great all-round display against Germany

Man-marking Eusebio out of the game

Nullifying Florian Albert

Annahnomoss

With Voronin preferring to operate from deep with his great passing range and Rijkaard being strictly defensive, it would be a difficult job for Seeler, Cruyff and Gullit. They'd surely find space if they drop extremely deep or drop out wide, but they would not have any chances of countering with Rijkaard/Voronin and the back three already in defensive positions. On the other hand Hamrin, Nordahl and Skoglund will be positioned to attack on the counter as soon as he loses the ball with a lot of players like Cafu/Masopust/Neeskens involved in moving forward. Liedholm and Gren would storm straight in to the box as well so even if Hamrin doesn't go on a dribbling raid he can find a dangerous cross to the box where a 1.88 cm tall Liedholm, Gren and Nordahl would be.

Hamrin, Skoglund, Gren(Gren was the technical, dribbling one between him and Liedholm) and Liedholm were world class dribblers as well. That is how they scored for fun and you could expect some of this through the middle.

Or more commonly he'd beat his markers with ease. Just to strut towards the defender who had to take the challenge - for Liedholm to get a yard with his dribbling and find the free space that opened up behind the now out-of-position defender.

Last edited:

Annahnomoss

The way I see it is Rijkaard and Voronin are the two who will handle that battle but I must admit I don't really think Annah has sold me the fact he can deal with Seeler whose one of my favourite strikers ever and hence why I am in two minds
That is exactly the case. Rijkaard will be dealing with Cruyff more often than not, heavily supported by the back three. On the other side Voronin took Eusebio and an in form Florian Albert out of the game A. Resulting in him being ranked as the 4th best player of the WC by a referendum organised by L'Equipe and France Football, winning the Soviet Union Footballer of the Year. He's perfect to deal with Gullit and dominate the central area together with Rijkaard.

Annahnomoss

In terms of transitions from defense to attack, beyond the four dribbling and ball carrying players Liedholm and Voronin had a world class passing range and would find the space behind the full backs or Nordahl who bursts straight towards goal.

Annahnomoss

Lennart ''Nacka" Skoglund
Position:
Left winger(Secondary position: Inside left)
Height: 1.70m
Weight: 68 kg
Achievements:
World Cup Silver: 1958
World Cup Bronze: 1950
Serie A: 1952-53, 1953-54
Swedish Cup: 1950
World Cup 1958 XI: Best left winger of the tournament

Career Statistics
Team--------Matches-------Goals-------
Club------------449----------.100--------
Sweden--------11------------1---------

Peak Statistics - 1950-59
Team--------Matches-------Goals-------Goals per game
Club------------241-----------55-------- 0.23
Sweden--------11------------1----------.0.09
Total-----------252-----------56---------0.22

In the 1958 World Cup he was named in the team of the tournament as the best left winger which came as no surprise as he with his 1 goal and 3 assists was more productive than Garrincha himself who had 3 assists.

Most countries had some player whos talent was overpowered by something outside of the pitch turning them from legends to myths. The likes of Ronaldinho, Duncan Edwards and in Swedens case - Nacka Skoglund.

To this day, when the Swedes celebrate christmas, on christmas eve fans and admirers gather at his statue in Nackas corner - a play of word on when he scored directly on a corner. Even fans from other countries have been known to participate.

Gren himself considered Nacka to be the greatest Swedish talent of the time. "Us three weren't the greatest Swedes in Italy, that was Nacka Skoglund. The people were mesmerized by his way to play and live. Nobody will ever be greater than Nacka was, I still remember when his Inter beat us with 3-2 and he scored two on his own".

He was such a creative entertainer and gifted dribbler that it is said the opponents at times were left behind with their jaws dropped from what they had just seen.

Style of play
He was beyond a world class dribbler, he was an artist, who entertained the entire audience with his tricks and plays. His crossing was pin point accurate and he was the heart of so many of the plays for Inter and Sweden. Many times outshining Hamrin in terms of pure skill and in the 1958 World Cup he was included in the all star XI as the tournaments best left winger. He was extremely explosive and could accelerate past most players and had great pace as well.

Superbly talented, he was described as a "soloist", a player who played to the gallery and had an array of tricks allied to a fierce shot. He did little to help out his team-mates on the field, but he was no mere show pony and helped Inter to two league titles during a playing career that catapulted him to international stardom.

Even the Brazilians were in awe of his dribbling and Ronnie Hellström said "He did stuff that nobody else could. I used to stand in goal while he'd take shots and ball after ball went in. And his passes, he'd set the teammates free on goal over and over through out the match."

He was a complete classic winger who would consistently beat his full back through out the game and set up his team mates as well as known for his great off the ball runs when cutting inside to score or find space behind the defensive line.

Annahnomoss

Regarding Erik Nilsson. In the era he played in you can basically not have a much better list of achievements. It wasn't yet common to leave your country to play as a professional and he was the best defender in the league. He started of with a fourth place in the World Cup in 1938. Then he was a leading figure from his left back spot and the usual captain for the team who won the 1948 Olympics. He rejected offers to go abroad because he would be banned from further tournaments for Sweden. In 1950 as a left back he carried Sweden through to bronze with an otherwise weak team and was named the best LB in the World Cup and was named the Swedish player of the year. Not a lot of players have finished top 4 in four international tournaments in their career. With one gold, two bronze and one 4th place position.

After that Skoglund went on to become a pro in Italy so for the 1952 Summer Olympics Erik Nilsson was the only real star left in the team as they won bronze again.

"Nilsson was a very consistent left back and due to his impressive physique, which he got from wrestling, he straight up scared his opponents, some teams even threatened Malmö that they wouldn't play friendly games against them if Nilsson would be on the pitch. He was a real captain and a leader, with good positioning and tactical awareness but also decent ball control. He was part of Olympic gold in 1948 in London, World Championship bronze in 1950 and Olympic bronze in Helsinki 1952.

Witnesses of his games remembers "How we enjoyed when the opponents right winger got the ball at his feet and in panic got rid of it not to get hit by the train. How we laughed when Erik, with a smile on his face went for a tackle on the horrified winger and stole the ball from him like stealing candy from a disobedient kid."

In one game, Sweden were being obliterated until Erik Nilsson took command and started directing the entire Swedish defense on his own and leading by example, to pull the team up from the mud."

Annahnomoss

--------The Olympics final against the mighty Yugoslavia.
Gren was the stand out man of the match not just in terms of goals but also the overall play.
Gren
24'
67' (pen.)
G. Nordahl
48'

Annahnomoss

The next game will mean upgrading the defense with the same type of players. The Baresi type aggressive ball winners who push forward with great reading of the game to win the ball back or force a weak first touch so the team can win the ball. It will be some odd choices, similar to Rijkaard being picked here. :wenger::D

This match so deserves penalties. ;)

Moby

Dick
Brilliant effort so far from Annah and I agree with him on most points. He is correct about most of his opinion on how his team will work, the inside forwards tracking back the opposition midfielders is a vital part of it and generally a good WM would have the likes of Di Stefano and Moreno in those roles and I buy that property about his Inside Forwards as well, especially Leidholm who I know a bit more about than Gren. I think he is tactically spot on and would go on to win a few times if this was played 10 odd times, still edging with EAP's overall quality and also a very good setup but only just. Good to see the scoreline reflecting the game as it would turn out.

Annahnomoss

Brilliant effort so far from Annah and I agree with him on most points. He is correct about most of his opinion on how his team will work, the inside forwards tracking back the opposition midfielders is a vital part of it and generally a good WM would have the likes of Di Stefano and Moreno in those roles and I buy that property about his Inside Forwards as well, especially Leidholm who I know a bit more about than Gren. I think he is tactically spot on and would go on to win a few times if this was played 10 odd times, still edging with EAP's overall quality and also a very good setup but only just. Good to see the scoreline reflecting the game as it would turn out.
Cheers for the comments mate, couldn't ask for anything else. Just trying to portray the tactics without ruining the effort by overrating what they could and couldn't do. I would have gone with bigger "general" defensive midfield names(As Rijkaard was a roaming CB) otherwise, but this is what I think would be the most honest upgrade. I can see the two being awesome in these defensive roles and Rijkaard adds so much to the aerial game as well.