Sweden 1948 VS EAP - NT peak draft

Who would win based on their peak in the chosen tournament?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Can Sweden pile forward to grab the winner??

Annahnomoss

---------------League winner Juventus - 1-7 Milan

15’, 26’, 49’ Nordhal
23’ Gren
24’ Liedholm
70’ Burini
84’ Candiani
-----------------------------Milan 6-2 Roma
Nordhal 26’, 55’
Liedholm 30’
Rinaldi 56’, 76’, 81’

-----------------------------Napoli 3-5 Milan
11’ Liedholm
13’ Burini
28’, 68’ Nordahl
33’ (aut.) Vultaggio

Last edited:

Annahnomoss

While I'm rambling on I missed that Nordahl made it a hat trick! First time lead in the game at such a late stage. 5-4

Annahnomoss

I wish I could stop them, but that would be an unrealistic option as the Grenoli trio never sat back. They're out there looking for another one, more motivated and energetic than ever.

Annahnomoss

Cruyff took a time out to do an interview and share his thoughts on the simple defensive tactics that George Raynor is using.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I find it hard that people believe a counter attacking tactics us going to work against my team. From Cruyff to Gullit to every single player in my midfield, defensive contribution is high.

The midfield is packed so that passing and retaining the ball will be easier and no single player gets too stretched.

Anyway, brilliant game Annah.

Annahnomoss

I find it hard that people believe a counter attacking tactics us going to work against my team. From Cruyff to Gullit to every single player in my midfield, defensive contribution is high.

The midfield is packed so that passing and retaining the ball will be easier and no single player gets too stretched.

Anyway, brilliant game Annah.
You too mate! Been fun! My side is still going all out for the match winner so with some time left you'll be able to go for an equalizer.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
This is one of those sleeper hits..looked like it was going to be one sided but amazing persistence by Annah.

Enigma_87

You know who
Great game guys. Love all the work @Annahnomoss ! Little to separate the teams to be honest. Not sure if isn't too late for me to influence the vote as either way it's very close margins to me. Probably have slight preference to Edgar's team based on individual quality and probably Cruyff making the difference, but on the other hand Annah has built his team well to counter Edgar's attack and midfield.

Annahnomoss

Great game guys. Love all the work @Annahnomoss ! Little to separate the teams to be honest. Not sure if isn't too late for me to influence the vote as either way it's very close margins to me. Probably have slight preference to Edgar's team based on individual quality and probably Cruyff making the difference, but on the other hand Annah has built his team well to counter Edgar's attack and midfield.
Thanks mate! :D

Annahnomoss

THE GAME IS OVER. THE SWEDES HAVE SNATCHED VICTORY FROM THE JAWS OF DEFEAT AFTER BEING OUTPLAYED IN THE FIRST HALF. A LATE GOAL FROM HAT TRICK HERO NORDAHL SECURED THE 5-4 VICTORY.

Annahnomoss

Thanks everybody for reading and voting and unlucky Edgar who was in the lead as he left. Would have been great with you here!

Annahnomoss

Indeed.

@Annahnomoss won the reinforcement round IMO as both Voronin and Rijkaard were perfect picks for this particular tie with a rather narrow Edgar side.
I'm happy you liked it. I was worried that trying to actually replace the roles of Rosengren/Andersson would result in a meltdown with Rijkaard in particular but it was the only choice I would feel comfortable with. EAP could have attacked that a lot more but he clearly let it slide to be a good sport, so thanks for that Edgar.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
The irony!

Despite 30 votes only 2 or 3 neutrals actually commented on the match itself. Absolutely no discussions other than myself and Annah. Would have liked more neutral views though!
You needed to upgrade Collovatti more than you needed to avoid a Schuster discussion where, by all accounts, people thought he was fine.

If anything, it would have elicited discussion on your players and positive remarks all in all. You removed that discussion and then complain nobody had anything to discuss ;)

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
unfortunate @Edgar Allan Pillow .. I think one top class CB alongside Ruggeri, and this would have been yours. Congrats @Annahnomoss
He was knocked out the moment he decided to kick Schuster out of the side, a CB would have helped immensely.

Also glad to see Voronin progressing to the semis here. He's not the flashiest name around but going by his tournament performances (as we have to for a fair bit of 50s and 60s vintages - Brazil 58/62, Masopust, Dzajic, Yashin and the likes), he was just immense. His man-marking display against Eusebio was honestly the best that I've seen, whilst his other performances were quite impressive too. I'll hold my hands up and say I've been guilty of underrating him too. I've watched him against Spain in the 1964 final (where he was Soviet's best player) and some footage here and there but not enough to form a comprehensive appraisal of him (not that a handful of full match footage is enough but yeah, goes with the territory).

Sometimes the player whom the man-marker is man-marking can be out of form, making the man-marker look better than he is. But when the player does it twice, consecutively, and against two of the most in form forwards (scratch that, players) of the tournament - Albert & Eusebio, it really means something. Esp Albert, whose performance compilations for every match is available, as too is Eusebio's (except the one against Soviet but it's understandable why it wasn't made :)). Really shows the impact that Voronin has on them, and also how the man-marking is clean it is, with barely any dirty blocks or fouls, although he could get physical if needed be. Yet to see such pure and clean man-marking displays elsewhere.

Also another key aspect about it, was that it was very much single-handedly done without much support. If you watch Stiles man-marking Eusebio, he frequently had the support of Moore who was playing as a covering safety net behind if Eusebio slipped through and Eusebio was frequently double/tripled upon by opposition throughout the tournament. However, whilst Voronin could rely on the support of his teammates occasionally, it was almost as though he was exclusively handed down the responsibility of looking after Eusebio and Albert which just shows the amount of confidence they had in his ability and how good he was defensively. That's not to downplay his Soviet teammates who played really well and were a fine side overall, who deserved more recognition. I'd seriously recommend people to watch those matches in full for themselves, as there's only so much a compilation video can cover.

Annahnomoss

Edgar changed Schuster for the spirit of the draft rather than because he didn't think he was good enough. So good sportmanship from him as he would have won otherwise.

Enigma_87

You know who
I'm happy you liked it. I was worried that trying to actually replace the roles of Rosengren/Andersson would result in a meltdown with Rijkaard in particular but it was the only choice I would feel comfortable with. EAP could have attacked that a lot more but he clearly let it slide to be a good sport, so thanks for that Edgar.
Yeah you got it spot on with those two reinforcements for this game :) Probably the best choices possible (along with Beckenbauer) against Edgar's tree.
Edgar changed Schuster for the spirit of the draft rather than because he didn't think he was good enough. So good sportmanship from him as he would have won otherwise.
I said it in the previous game, but here as well - I completely disagree that Schuster was not in the spirit of the draft. It's exactly the opposite - he made his name on the back of that EURO and was truly special in those two games. Germany wouldn't won it without him and in terms of big tournaments even 1 game can be decisive, especially out of 4.

antohan

The other issue @Edgar Allan Pillow is that this has gradually, but surely, turned into a remake draft.

With fine margins involved, plus some uncertainty over how to measure individual peaks, the remake element is proving to be decisive.

I'm not too fussed about number of games, quality of oppo, but there's certainly question marks arising if players are supposed to play at peak in unfamiliar settings. Off the top of my head, none of your players ever played in a XMAS tree.

Annah defo had that going for him. It is what made the difference to me in Pat v Downcast and Iso would have had better luck going 3-5-2 with Diego.

It also was the basis I split Joga from Gio. Joga's side was the only one I've seen so far where most players are in an unfamiliar formation yet their peak selves fit like a glove in each and every role.

antohan

Schuster is a great pick in the spirit of the draft, anyone who has two eyes and watched Euro 80 will tell you that.

The match counting approach to running him down is reminiscent of how people on RC use stats to prove completely bonkers statements.

antohan

I said it in the previous game, but here as well - I completely disagree that Schuster was not in the spirit of the draft. It's exactly the opposite - he made his name on the back of that EURO and was truly special in those two games. Germany wouldn't won it without him and in terms of big tournaments even 1 game can be decisive, especially out of 4.
He showed up out of nowhere and on the back of "only two games" secured a move to Barcelona and went on to be second in the Ballon d'Or that year aged 20.

Not in the spirit my arse.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Indeed.

@Annahnomoss won the reinforcement round IMO as both Voronin and Rijkaard were perfect picks for this particular tie with a rather narrow Edgar side.
yep it was a bad tactical match up for EAP, and annah's weakness (defence) was not really exposed because EAP's centre of defence was arguably even more exposed due to nature of Annah's set up.

That said, not overly sold on Rijkaard's role based on his role in 88 - think it was a rather cheeky use of him, but I can also see the logic of the fact in a 3 man defence, he functions as a stopper/DM.

He was knocked out the moment he decided to kick Schuster out of the side, a CB would have helped immensely.

Also glad to see Voronin progressing to the semis here. He's not the flashiest name around but going by his tournament performances (as we have to for a fair bit of 50s and 60s vintages - Brazil 58/62, Masopust, Dzajic, Yashin and the likes), he was just immense. His man-marking display against Eusebio was honestly the best that I've seen, whilst his other performances were quite impressive too. I'll hold my hands up and say I've been guilty of underrating him too. I've watched him against Spain in the 1964 final (where he was Soviet's best player) and some footage here and there but not enough to form a comprehensive appraisal of him (not that a handful of full match footage is enough but yeah, goes with the territory).

Sometimes the player whom the man-marker is man-marking can be out of form, making the man-marker look better than he is. But when the player does it twice, consecutively, and against two of the most in form forwards (scratch that, players) of the tournament - Albert & Eusebio, it really means something. Esp Albert, whose performance compilations for every match is available, as too is Eusebio's (except the one against Soviet but it's understandable why it wasn't made :)). Really shows the impact that Voronin has on them, and also how the man-marking is clean it is, with barely any dirty blocks or fouls, although he could get physical if needed be. Yet to see such pure and clean man-marking displays elsewhere.

Also another key aspect about it, was that it was very much single-handedly done without much support. If you watch Stiles man-marking Eusebio, he frequently had the support of Moore who was playing as a covering safety net behind if Eusebio slipped through and Eusebio was frequently double/tripled upon by opposition throughout the tournament. However, whilst Voronin could rely on the support of his teammates occasionally, it was almost as though he was exclusively handed down the responsibility of looking after Eusebio and Albert which just shows the amount of confidence they had in his ability and how good he was defensively. That's not to downplay his Soviet teammates who played really well and were a fine side overall, who deserved more recognition. I'd seriously recommend people to watch those matches in full for themselves, as there's only so much a compilation video can cover.
Completely agree, I was shocked when he went Neeskens because it was unnecessary and Schuster's rampaging runs down the right flank during euro 80, sold his midfield to me and I was convinced, width wise it was fine. If he picked up a Figueroa, his team would be in the semis' now, heck he had the chance to pick Baresi too!

Voronin had exceptional reading of the game, and that higher tier anticipation which the very best DM's have. That said, he hasn't faced Maradona yet :p.

Enigma_87

You know who
He showed up out of nowhere and on the back of "only two games" secured a move to Barcelona and went on to be second in the Ballon d'Or that year aged 20.

Not in the spirit my arse.
Yup. Not to mention how ordinary that German team looked without him.
yep it was a bad tactical match up for EAP, and annah's weakness (defence) was not really exposed because EAP's centre of defence was arguably even more exposed due to nature of Annah's set up.

That said, not overly sold on Rijkaard's role based on his role in 88 - think it was a rather cheeky use of him, but I can also see the logic of the fact in a 3 man defence, he functions as a stopper/DM.
Well his natural instinct during 88 was to push forward in the DM zone. He didn't go further than the halfway line often, but as a DM/anchor you won't need selling him IMO. I mean Rijkaard won't need much selling as a DM being his best position, it's more of an issue if he didn't have a good tournament, which is not true, so as a DM even tho in different set up to the 88 one I think he's close to his optimal form and have no issue with that.

That said, he hasn't faced Maradona yet :p.
Neither Pele :D