Synth Draft: Final - Moby vs Invictus

With players at their career peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Also, big ups @Theon - who worked tirelessly behind the scenes after our SF loss in Billy No Mates and the final loss in Doubles Draft. He really believed we could win this from the onset despite a less than ideal position in the drafting order, and devised a lot of great strategies in terms of tactics, picks and reinforcements - inflating his tally to 4 wins and an incredible 11 final appearances in Redcafe drafts. Take a bow, sir! :drool:
Congrats to both of you and well done on losing your draft virginity Invictus :p

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Reckon this one will handle that Front 4 just fine:

In midfield, I have a lot of faith in Davids when it comes to arresting the play of someone like Maradona with his overall industry levels, athleticism, and low center of gravity - in tandem with Lothar.

In defense, Kohler is self explanatory - Maldini vs. Best for obvious reasons - and Djalma vs Džajić (Moby was very unlucky in that Džajić had a good performance vs. Vogts - so we replace the German with someone who's THE greatest defensive rightback of all time, IMO).

Random keeper - in hindsight, shouldn't have put Dasayev there because EURO '88. :nervous:

PS. Cheers for hosting the draft! :)

That's a mean back four. I still reckon I'd want a mobile DM with Davids and/or Matthaus although if you hard hardworking widemen such as Nedved and Beckham it could definitely work with just both of them.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

That's a mean back four. I still reckon I'd want a mobile DM with Davids and/or Matthaus although if you hard hardworking widemen such as Nedved and Beckham it could definitely work with just both of them.
Yeah, I can definitely see where you're coming from. But a system with a mobile defensive midfielder alongside Davids might be too workmanlike and too focused on stopping Maradona unless the attacking midfielder or forward ahead of them is top notch in terms of dictating the game to alleviate some concerns in possession as regards the pro-activeness in attack. Guess something like this would work like a charm considering the type of personnel you have in mind:

Desailly is arguably the greatest defensive midfielder in terms of pure destructive ability after Rijkaard, and Di Stéfano will relish the sort of commanding role he'll have in this team while exerting his influence in all phases of the game - both on and off the ball.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Yeah, I can definitely see where you're coming from. But a system with a mobile defensive midfielder alongside Davids might be too workmanlike and too focused on stopping Maradona unless the attacking midfielder or forward ahead of them is top notch in terms of dictating the game to alleviate some concerns in possession as regards the pro-activeness in attack. Guess something like this would work like a charm considering the type of personnel you have in mind:

Desailly is arguably the greatest defensive midfielder in terms of pure destructive ability after Rijkaard, and Di Stéfano will relish the sort of commanding role he'll have in this team while exerting his influence in all phases of the game - both on and off the ball.
That makes a lot of sense. Put Figo right and Giggs left as they're both hard working and don't need the full-backs to overlap with R9 up front. Counter-attacking dream.

MJJ

Also, big ups @Theon - who worked tirelessly behind the scenes after our SF loss in Billy No Mates and the final loss in Doubles Draft. He really believed we could win this from the onset despite a less than ideal position in the drafting order, and devised a lot of great strategies in terms of tactics, picks and reinforcements - inflating his tally to 4 wins and an incredible 11 final appearances in Redcafe drafts. Take a bow, sir! :drool:
Did people know he was your assistant? Because his vote should have been discounted in that case, not sure how close your games were or how active he was in match threads.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Did people know he was your assistant? Because his vote should have been discounted in that case, not sure how close your games were or how active he was in match threads.
Theon only voted after the games were wrapped up to personally keep a tab on the scores when I was offline, mate. Don't think it made a difference in any of the games - including the final.

Round 1: margin of +13 - he didn't vote in this one.
Quarterfinal: margin for +12 - he didn't vote in this one.
Semifinal: margin of +16 if you exclude his vote.
Final: margin of +18 if you exclude his vote.

If you look at timing of his votes, he didn't vote in the early going of games on principle - only after they were essentially decided in the fourth quarter with a substantial lead. Also, if you browse those threads, he wasn't involved in the in-game discussions.

MJJ

Theon only voted after the games were wrapped up to personally keep a tab on the scores when I was offline, mate. Don't think it made a difference in any of the games - including the final.

Round 1: margin of +13 - he didn't vote in this one.
Quarterfinal: margin for +12 - he didn't vote in this one.
Semifinal: margin of +16 if you exclude his vote.
Final: margin of +18 if you exclude his vote.

If you look at timing of his votes, he didn't vote in the early going of games on principle - only after they were essentially decided in the fourth quarter with a substantial lead. Also, if you browse those threads, he wasn't involved in the in-game discussions.
Ah okay that's alright given the margin and timing like you said.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands

Cheers mate - thought it was definitely you who did the vast majority of the work!

I think we were overdue a victory after some tough defeats in the past.. particularly EAP's draft final against @harms which still rankles.

In terms of the drafting I think Dzajic was a really excellent pick up that late in the process, he really could/should have been a first round pick given his credentials as well as blocking virtually no one. Then as I wrote earlier Blanc / Vierchowod was a really solid pair of centre backs to pick up which meant that we could focus on the offense during reinforcements.

As a few people pointed out, Tigana / Matthaus is a touch off in terms of balance but there's enough industry in that partnership to make it work.