Synth Draft SF - Moby vs EAP/RT

With players at career peak, who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I still don't know what to think about this game.

- The defensive contribution of Futre/Houseman would be key
- Is Figueroa a defensive midfielder here?

I would have probably voted for EAP with the following team

--------------Weah ---- Laudrup
------------------ Cruyjff
----------- Cerezo--------- Roth-------
Branco--------------------------------- Demyanneko
----------- Forster ---------- Bergomi
----------------------Figueroa

And EAP has Robson on the bench because he played with Seaman :(

Also, I have a negative bias with some of the EAP players (Bettega, Roth) for diverse reasons

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Nope. It's a back 3 clearly!

I can understand Roth as to not a familiar name. But, curious as to what bias you have on Bettega. He was one of the best Italian forwards of all time!
Roth, I watched him on Youtube: I can't say I have been overly impressed.
Bettega seems to be excellent on the air. I know he was serie a top scorer at his prime but but

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Roth, I watched him on Youtube: I can't say I have been overly impressed.
A physical midfielder with excellent workrate and can contribute at both ends of the pitch. His offensive skills are not as good as say Effenberg, but defensively, he was solid. Played as a pivot DM too.

I'd argue that we very rarely played with a pure defensive midfielder while we had a huge number of well rounded, top quality number 8s through the decades, from Szymaniak and Beckenbauer in the 60's to Wimmer, Bonhof, Roth, Breitner, Schuster and Matthäus in the 70's and 80's.
Balu said:
Additionally I'd add Schwarzenbeck and Roth as worldclass players in their prime.

Moby

Dick
No wonder I lost this game! :lol:
They're not wrong though. Bettega was going to attack from the inside-right channel for you and going as wide as that for any centre back isn't an issue whatsoever, in fact that's routine practice for most of them. The likes of Nesta and Cannavaro had to venture close to the corner flag at times when playing against mobile forwards like Luis Ronaldo for example and they did it just fine, a top defender won't suddenly forget his entire defensive skill because he's having to do it a few yards wide of the goal.

Like I replied to Joga, the instruction for both Vogts and McGrath here were purely defensive, which must only be assessed by their defensive ability which for both is world class. The issue of which side they're on etc would occur if they were also instructed to attack or participate in the offensive phase or were defending against an out and out winger. Let's be honest, McGrath wasn't defending against Eusebio or Rummenigge, it was Bettega who isn't exactly a wizard on the ball and is more known for his off the ball movement plus the aerial game which would be rather routine for McGrath, there's no chance he would have been anywhere near a weakness in this game, in fact he would been a strong presence something that is exactly required for a team like this. All he had to do was cut out any service to Bettega and win and aerial balls played to him, and he's got the anticipation in plenty for that and then hand the ball to Scirea. It's why I also said earlier that it doesn't matter which sides him and Vogts were, given it was a very simple purely defensive job given to them for which their skillset weighs far more than any other factor in judging how good they'd be at it.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
They're not wrong though. Bettega was going to attack from the inside-right channel for you and going as wide as that for any centre back isn't an issue whatsoever, in fact that's routine practice for most of them. The likes of Nesta and Cannavaro had to venture close to the corner flag at times when playing against mobile forwards like Luis Ronaldo for example and they did it just fine, a top defender won't suddenly forget his entire defensive skill because he's having to do it a few yards wide of the goal.

Like I replied to Joga, the instruction for both Vogts and McGrath here were purely defensive, which must only be assessed by their defensive ability which for both is world class. The issue of which side they're on etc would occur if they were also instructed to attack or participate in the offensive phase or were defending against an out and out winger. Let's be honest, McGrath wasn't defending against Eusebio or Rummenigge, it was Bettega who isn't exactly a wizard on the ball and is more known for his off the ball movement plus the aerial game which would be rather routine for McGrath, there's no chance he would have been anywhere near a weakness in this game, in fact he would been a strong presence something that is exactly required for a team like this. All he had to do was cut out any service to Bettega and win and aerial balls played to him, and he's got the anticipation in plenty for that and then hand the ball to Scirea. It's why I also said earlier that it doesn't matter which sides him and Vogts were, given it was a very simple purely defensive job given to them for which their skillset weighs far more than any other factor in judging how good they'd be at it.
You still ignore my fullbacks. With Demyanenko moving up, McGrath will have Bettega on the inside and Demyanenko on the outside. No defender can hold fold if double teamed. Simple as. Not just McGrath, same goes for Vogts on other side. He can drift wide comfortably but against Branco and Cruyff, he'll just not be enough.

Moby

Dick
You still ignore my fullbacks. With Demyanenko moving up, McGrath will have Bettega on the inside and Demyanenko on the outside. No defender can hold fold if double teamed. Simple as. Not just McGrath, same goes for Vogts on other side. He can drift wide comfortably but against Branco and Cruyff, he'll just not be enough.
The 2v1 is a different argument though and never did I once say McGrath will defend both of them, he was instructed to take your forward out of the game which he will, and leave Demyanenko either to someone else (possible the DMs who will be there to assist) or let him cross or pass into and a complete congested crowd defended well. But the argument that McGrath would suddenly be a weakness because he was 'out of position' is rubbish.

That very much is in line with how defending was done during the era this formation was used, you didn't have your offensive laterals tracking all the way back as they do in the modern game, and people looking at it from the modern perspective are finding it troubling that the wide player isn't tracking back, when in fact it is absolutely in line with a typical outside left in a 3-2-5 formation. His job is to stay on attack, and realistically force the defender to stay back with him which was my strategy here as picked by onenil as well. Say if hypothetically I had a defensive wingback and played him there, sure him and Demyanenko would have cancelled each other out but it would have not presented me the devastating effect having a proper offensive winger there does in the scenario where he's left open and the entire rest of the team is already busy marking other players. He'd grab a goal or two in this game in all possibility if Demyanenko did indeed follow those instructions. But in a real match, the presence of an out and out wide player would absolutely restrict his forward movement and that whole 2v1 would be a rarity in this game, instead of a frequent occurrence as you suggest. It's why when someone said Futre was a bad fit for this formation again said it very much from a modern tactical perspective and not from the time these formations were incredibly successful when five players stayed forward the whole time. I went into the game with a 5-2 kinda scoreline and not a 1-0.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The constant outnumbering/double teaming alluded to above is not realistic at sll. It would not play out that way.

Granted, it's a very offensive approach, but with DMs who operate as actual defenders when needed. One of those DMs is defensively sound - and very good at hounding/pressing. The other one is a GOAT who couldn't have been a better fit for this exact role.

At worst the wingback gets a cross in, which is - what - a calculated risk, nothing more.

Bottom line, M. has the quality and the player types to get away with this «front five» approach. Different setup on the other side - different story. But in this match, it would work.