'Tactical' fouls

Idxomer

I've only seen the first half but seeing Fernandes getting targeted reminded me of the Herrera's red card some years back against Chelsea. He got a 2nd yellow because of the team's constant fouling of Hazard, yesterday it was free for all on Bruno and nothing was given.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I've only seen the first half but seeing Fernandes getting targeted reminded me of the Herrera's red card some years back against Chelsea. He got a 2nd yellow because of the team's constant fouling of Hazard, yesterday it was free for all on Bruno and nothing was given.
Fernandes wasn't even the most fouled player for you yesterday, that would be Fred. Fred was fouled 4 times to lead United, Fernandes was fouled 3 times. Granted, he did get kicked right in the bellend by Azpi accidentally on a break but he also blatantly dove to draw a foul vs. Kovacic so that's a wash. In terms of Chelsea players, Kovacic and James made 4, Rudiger and Giroud made 3, and no one else made more than 2.

Chelsea adopted the Liverpool model of spreading fouls out and doing so in the process of pressing high up - I don't think there were many instances of United players getting past the press and being pulled back. It was clearly a deliberate strategy to foul United's forwards as they received the ball and tried to lay it off - cynical to some extent yes but I don't think there was any single player you could point to who was targeted or who was doing the targeting.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
City players get away with murder right in front of the refs eyes every game.

Irrational.

City players get away with murder right in front of the refs eyes every game.
City and Liverpool are the biggest culprits and it's a huge reason why they're so successful. I can't believe they haven't picked up on this shit over the past three years. It's cheating, plain and simple.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Pochettino’s sides were the same. It seems that if you are ‘playing football the right way’, you are never called out on this blatant cheating and you’ll continually get away with it.

The absolute worst thing about modern football, IMO. Klopp, Guardiola et al have carte blanche to do as they fecking please. It’s disgusting.

Needham

Worst one is that blatant drag back with the hand. Ought to be singled out for a yellow.

Dan_F

Do people think there needs to be some sort of rule change to try and stop tactical fouls? More and more teams are playing a high press now, which naturally brings tactical fouls, to stop the opponent countering.

Just last night we had Kampl firstly trip over Bruno to stop a counter, then 10 minutes later slide into Williams on the edge of the area, no yellow was given for either. Yet if you compare that to the yellow card Shaw got, he slid in from the side, but pretty clean won the ball. That must be on the basis that the ref thought it was mildly dangerous, but honestly, how many injuries do you see a season for just a regular slide tackle? It seems like if there’s any contact on a slide tackle now, you’re getting a yellow.

Given that it’s largely the better teams that use a high press, should they then have an extra advantage by being allowed to stop quick counters regularly without punishment. Maybe I’m just annoyed about last night though.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
City are the best at tactical fouls in the world. Any time we had men over. Bang. Foul. Nobody does it better.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Mc Tominay throwing them out like prime Fernandinho for sure today.

arnie_ni

The ref missed a couple. The one mct got upended which ended in the pen decision and another one fernadinho upended pogba.

He played good advantages but then forgot to go back and book them

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Pogba, McTominay and Lindelof could have easily got yellows too for their fouls today, so to bump this thread after today really is weird.