5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven

I'm off the opposite opinion. If I had to choose 1 player from the current crop of youngsters, who's going to have the best career, id put my money on this guy.

His speed, workrate and position will afford him more opportunity and leniency.

And its not like he's technically poor. He's just poor compared to Gomez and Greenwood who have an absurd amount of ability.
:houllier:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Of all the youngsters, Chong and Garner are the two I feel need to go on loan this season. They need more experience.
Garner's still only 17, he'd benefit more from a season of U23 football as he hasn't had a full season there yet.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Agree with Chong going somewhere on loan, a loan in the championship or abroad would do him good IMO. Needs first team action regularly, and needs to get used to the physicality of professional football, but the raw qualities are there for sure. Pacey as feck, has good movement and work rate, and he's a good dribbler. He's nowhere near as refined as Gomes or Greenwood are of course, but he has all the qualities to be a top winger as well IMO. Gomes looks so mature and refined from a technical POV, while Greenwood looks like he has everything to smoothly develop into a top striker, while Chong needs some of that exposure at the top level to improve in some aspects and really develop him. I do think there's the chance he has a really rapid development once he sorts out some of his issues though, certainly wouldn't be a surprise or something with his skill set to actually make it at the top.

Probability speaking, I doubt that all 3 of Chong, Gomes and Greenwood are going to make it, its ambitious as it is expecting 2 of the 3 to make it but i think both Gomes and Greenwood will. Chong is the bigger question mark, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have big talent and potential himself. A loan would be best though, and preferably a championship loan, or maybe to the Dutch league. Not yet ready for prem/bundesliga/Spanish league.

Kostov

I thinks he was fine but still a bit rash and uncomfortable. Maybe a loan would be the best option for him this season.

Robert

:lol:

Sorry I forgot myself for a moment there, just remembered optimism is frowned upon at the Cafe
Indeed. For what it’s worth I think your assessment is somewhat fair, I wouldn’t bet on it (i.e him having the best career compared to say Greenwood or Gomes) but I do agree in that I think he has the ability and mentality to match or outdo some of the others of his crop.

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
:lol:

Sorry I forgot myself for a moment there, just remembered optimism is frowned upon at the Cafe
haha. Completely agree with you btw. Chong is the most promising; Gomes and Greenwood seem like they are technically a class above Chong but trust me, this kid is going places.

snowkarl

he looked amazing, not only technically, but physically and mentally

Created so much, high work rate and very confident

He reminds me a lot of Guendouzi (not only the physical similarities) in how they drive forward with the ball and his decision making is very, very good for his age.

SATA

He offers more movement than Martial ever did on the left. The latter infuriates me somehow whenever he stands still and refuse to move if he doesn't see or have the ball

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The dribble to win the pen was technically brilliant. I do think he can play on the RW, eventhough he's looked better on the left in the few games he's played.

Bwuk

Looks much better on the left. Maybe he’ll be able to move over to the right when he’s more comfortable at senior level.

The way he runs reminds me of Giggs. Similar gait.

He was better today.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Looks very promising. His legs are so skinny though that I cringe whenever there's a chance of a challenge on him. He definitely needs to increase his physical strength.

Raven

Agree with Chong going somewhere on loan, a loan in the championship or abroad would do him good IMO. Needs first team action regularly, and needs to get used to the physicality of professional football, but the raw qualities are there for sure. Pacey as feck, has good movement and work rate, and he's a good dribbler. He's nowhere near as refined as Gomes or Greenwood are of course, but he has all the qualities to be a top winger as well IMO. Gomes looks so mature and refined from a technical POV, while Greenwood looks like he has everything to smoothly develop into a top striker, while Chong needs some of that exposure at the top level to improve in some aspects and really develop him. I do think there's the chance he has a really rapid development once he sorts out some of his issues though, certainly wouldn't be a surprise or something with his skill set to actually make it at the top.

Probability speaking, I doubt that all 3 of Chong, Gomes and Greenwood are going to make it, its ambitious as it is expecting 2 of the 3 to make it but i think both Gomes and Greenwood will. Chong is the bigger question mark, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have big talent and potential himself. A loan would be best though, and preferably a championship loan, or maybe to the Dutch league. Not yet ready for prem/bundesliga/Spanish league.
Basically the way I see it. Well put.

Kearnkoff69

Better at dribbling than Martial. Has to be a joke?
Nowhere does it say that he's better at dribbling than Martial. Re-read the tweet: "However he has something that only Anthony Martial also possesses in the United attack; genuine dribbling skill."

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
Good god..Let the fella get a couple of games under his belt and allow him to develop before getting so critical! 18 ain't he? He's had a couple of sub appearances and a couple of preseason games. Sections of our fan base are so odd at times!

AaronRedDevil

He could have had 2 goal scoring chances today had lingard learned to pass properly. It's lucky lingard is still a kid or he'd be on his way out.

Rick88

He did miss out a year of football due to a bad knee injury which I think people tend to forget. Six more months in the reserves and a six month loan to a prem or league one cup this year should do him some good. Gomes needs to be given a run this season. He's some talent.

Sparky Rhiwabon

It's weird, I feel like most on here rated Chong above Gomes until these two pre season games.

Dante

Average bang
Chong has quick feet like Martial. But he doesn't possess 'soft' feet like the best dribblers.

He did well against Leeds, but I don't believe his skillset will translate to success in the PL. Certainly not this season at any rate.

In Rainbows

It's weird, I feel like most on here rated Chong above Gomes until these two pre season games.
No way. Whoever watched the two rated Gomes higher. Just go back to the awards thread and a couple of us remarked how Gomes should have been rewarded the award, not Chong.

OohAahMartial

Considering how many of our players have had disastrous loans due to change of managers, just not getting enough games, I would rather we developed him ourselves in the Europa League, Cups and U23s. I think he will surprise everyone. He was U23 player of the year for a reason. All our youth players just need to be given time and opportunities to relax and get confident playing in the first team, and getting a first goal or assist or two will help them all with that.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
haha. Completely agree with you btw. Chong is the most promising; Gomes and Greenwood seem like they are technically a class above Chong but trust me, this kid is going places.
Chong is not the most promising. Greenwood and Gomes ahead of him by some distance.

Was good today though.

Fer

I may be wrong but Chong looks slightly better on the left. We are already packed with talented players there. Let's hope we get a RW this summer.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He had his best performance and showed some of the things he did in our youth setup. Its a good sign if nothing else.

He also looks very cool. Hope he makes it and then never changes his appearance the slightest. Maybe a bit more muscles on his legs and let that moustache fully grow but other than that, keep everything as is.

bosnian_red

Looks much better on the left. Maybe he’ll be able to move over to the right when he’s more comfortable at senior level.

He was better today.
Thought the same (re Giggs). He's a really fun player to watch because of how direct he is and how quick he is, always has it in his mind to make forward runs on and off the ball and technically he isn't bad at all which is a really good combo to have with the pace. Everyone's obsessed with inside forwards/inverted wingers these days, but honestly I think we'd do much better with proper wingers who play on their natural foot side. Or at least with some of the players we have. Chong looks like he'll develop as a classic winger, a Giggs type, and I'd say the same for Daniel James. Greenwood on the other hand is definitely inside forward type if he's out wide, but natural striker otherwise. Gomes also more the inverted winger if he's wide, but more an attacking midfielder.

bosnian_red

I think the only reason for any pessimism related to him (from me at least) would be that I doubt we'll have 3 attacking players from the same youth team make it as regular starting 11 players for United. Greenwood I'm convinced, barring injuries, will be quality. Gomes also looks quality and I think he'll be a quality player, though because of his size and being a #10 type I am a little hesitant on his long term position at United, even though I would love for him to make it and don't doubt his ability at all (more just hesitation based on if the managers will give him the role he should have).

With Rashford in the starting 11 and being very young himself, what are the actual odds that United's future first 11 is:
Rashford
Chong Gomes Greenwood​
Almost 0% chance of that happening IMO, so it's purely an odds thing. Also have to take into account players like James who we just signed who looks very promising, and of course Martial, possibly if we ever end up signing Sancho... It's always hard to predict.
I would say he does have big potential though, and it's the same with Greenwood and Gomes. The only one I'm very confident will become a every week starter at United though is Greenwood, part of that is purely because I'm just basing it off of standard probability that they won't all make it as United starting 11 players, but also because I'd say he's our biggest talent.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football

He was better today.
I was about to say the Giggs bit. I thought that today only he don't jink the way Giggs used to but his touch, gait very similar to Giggs.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Far more confident and relaxed performance today.
Another sound player for the left wing.:lol:
Difference is he's actually left footed. But yes, he looked much better today. I'd like to see more of our right footed players play on the right. Particularly James and Sanchez. Give us more width and take their players wide and at pace to get to the byline and whip in a cross or a cut back pass...

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I've always liked him as a player and think he has fantastic potential. The injury he suffered where he missed almost a year, cost him invaluable development time which not many people understand.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing him go on loan possibly to the Dutch Eridivisie. Jaap Stam is currently in charge at Feyenoord, and I see that as a good potential loan club. But if Ole decides to keep him and give him minutes, then that would be even better for him. I can see him playing a fair few games in the Europa League if he isn't loaned.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I like this player a lot. And i disagree that he is not ready. He has confidence and he has skill. I hope that he will play next year

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Really showing the benefit of going on the tour. Looked better and better with each game, hopefully it carries on through the full tour.

manutddjw

Having a good game. I wonder if inter will take notice and try to get him by offering us an attractive package of a 6 year loan with an option to buy for 10 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.