Tahith Chong

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Gomes has gone off the boil a little as Chong has gone the opposite way. That said, Chong probably has adapted more in an extremely poor side (maybe the worst I can ever remember) than Gomes. That said, two extremely great talents that I hope get cameos from now until the end of the season.
Ones a facilitator, the others an enigma that makes things happen on his own. Gomes would shine in a settled side.

Litch

Agree with both of these. Salary has a big impace too I think. Personally I think FIFA should be looking at a salary cap for under a certain age and then again when you break into the senior team for a set amount of seasons.
Not sure it's about money as it's as relative now as it's been years ago. The numbers might be higher in the game but it's still high when you consider young players previously were still on 250k a year at 5k a week. The issue for me is more about competition for places and when you think Rashford and Lingard are now not got regular football because the players in front of them are worth 80m each tells you something. For Chong to compete, look who's in front of him and by the time he's 22/23, who else will we have signed.

In reality, it's taken some of the best players ever at this football club to come in and stay in at a young age, that's how high the bar is set....

Litch

Ones a facilitator, the others an enigma that makes things happen on his own. Gomes would shine in a settled side.
Would argue with that and like I said, the standard of the U23 side is absolutely shocking hence we are at the bottom of the league. Im not surprised either struggle tbh. U18's, now that's a team absolutely full of talent....

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Would argue with that and like I said, the standard of the U23 side is absolutely shocking hence we are at the bottom of the league. Im not surprised either struggle tbh. U18's, now that's a team absolutely full of talent....
The u18s last season were a team full of talent too and now the majority are all in the u23s. The team has talent, its organised and setup in a horrible manner though. Along with nonsense like playing shit like Redmond over talented players.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
You're the one who has just claimed Chong has been better every time they've been on the pitch together which is just laughable. Get your head out of Chong's ass. Gomes was easily better on plenty of occasions, especially last season. They are both exceptional talents.
Chong has been a better player ever since he settled down into the set up since his move from Holland.

I don't need to have have my head up Chongs ass, you fool, to see he has done much better than Gomes who has looked lost on occasions playing in the under 23..

Swift Football

I don't think he is just ready to play in the first team. Maybe next seaon or a year after. The talent is there, and there is no need to hurry to play him in first team risking burning him/injuries. Many seem to compare him to Giggs, but i feel Giggs was much faster than Chong, and it would not surprise me to see Chong play in central position rather than out wide in the long run.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Is Chong vs Gomes the new Rashford vs Martial?
Doubt it. They could both play as one is a leftie and more direct in a Leroy Sane way. Gomes give me the impression he could play more centrally behind a striker,he's very creative

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Nominated for PL2 Player of the month for Feb

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
how
I don't think he is just ready to play in the first team. Maybe next seaon or a year after. The talent is there, and there is no need to hurry to play him in first team risking burning him/injuries. Many seem to compare him to Giggs, but i feel Giggs was much faster than Chong, and it would not surprise me to see Chong play in central position rather than out wide in the long run.
how was he much faster? Id say better dribbler but chong is one of the most fastest players we had in a looong while... not really good comparison

yo@Kirk

I don't recall anyone predicting success in the first team for Scott McTominay when he was playing PL2 matches at the beginning of the 2017/2018 season. We know that no one in the first team is playing very well at RW when Mourinho uses a scheme that requires a RW. We can't know that Chong is incapable of playing RW better than players currently in the first team unless he is actually played at RW in the first team. Just like we didn't know what McTominay was capable of until he showed us by playing in the first team. It shouldn't take an injury crisis for Chong to get his chance at RW. The poor play of the current first team players should be sufficient.

deafepl

I don't recall anyone predicting success in the first team for Scott McTominay when he was playing PL2 matches at the beginning of the 2017/2018 season. We know that no one in the first team is playing very well at RW when Mourinho uses a scheme that requires a RW. We can't know that Chong is incapable of playing RW better than players currently in the first team unless he is actually played at RW in the first team. Just like we didn't know what McTominay was capable of until he showed us by playing in the first team. It shouldn't take an injury crisis for Chong to get his chance at RW. The poor play of the current first team players should be sufficient.
Perhaps until our position is guaranteed in the league with few games left so we can give some games to our academy player, especially Chong.

yo@Kirk

Perhaps until our position is guaranteed in the league with few games left so we can give some games to our academy player, especially Chong.
I hope Mourinho sticks with the 4-2-2-2 scheme. We wouldn't need better play at RW then.

Hitchez

I liken this Chong vs Gomes debate to my impressions of Januzaj and Daelhi at youth level.

Both were praised endlessly by people but my lasting impression of Daelhi was that he quite simply did not impose himself enough in games. He would frequently have a good touch here and there but in terms of actual effect on the game he didn't do enough. Januzaj on the other hand was always forceful and constantly made things happen so it wasn't surprising when he made the step up.

Gomes seems like Daelhi like. Technically good, skillful and always easy on the eye but not enough of an impact on the game. Chong on the other hand picks up the ball and makes things happen. Being physically stronger will also help him in his progression. Another problem for Gomes is likely to be his position. Players like him don't benefit from being stuck out wide but at the same time don't contribute enough to play through the middle or aren't physically strong enough to do it. Januzaj struggled with this after he broke through in the team. He was never the out and out wide winger we tried to shoehorn him into but physically and in terms of numbers he simply wasn't good enough to play centrally.

The sample size is too small to conclude one way or another as they're both clearly very talented payers. But from the little I've seen Chong looks the better bet in terms of going on and breaking into the first team. It would be great if both were to make it:angel:

Super Mokh

The obvious advantage that chong has is his physical strength. He will be a monster if he progresses at the rate he is doing right now. The talent is obvious, just need to keep his head down and Mou will be bound to pick him when he sees fit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marnsky

I have been watching most of his videos and reading a lot from the forums about this lad. He seems to be having a very good season at U-18 and when called upon for the U-23 he has been remarkable. Especially coming from a serious knee injury. I hope he becomes for us what Sane is to city currently. He's got massive potential he needs to fulfill.

Litch

I'm more convinced than any other player for years. Whilst this lads clearly got talent, there's been others that have been talented but it's his work rate and his defensive work tracking back that years beyond his age. The other issue is he is fearless and no matter how much he's fouled, doesn't stop his intent. Chong has the ability to come up with something special which you can't coach. He still needs to grow physically but I'm in no doubt he'll be in the first team squad next season....

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I liken this Chong vs Gomes debate to my impressions of Januzaj and Daelhi at youth level.

Both were praised endlessly by people but my lasting impression of Daelhi was that he quite simply did not impose himself enough in games. He would frequently have a good touch here and there but in terms of actual effect on the game he didn't do enough. Januzaj on the other hand was always forceful and constantly made things happen so it wasn't surprising when he made the step up.

Gomes seems like Daelhi like. Technically good, skillful and always easy on the eye but not enough of an impact on the game. Chong on the other hand picks up the ball and makes things happen. Being physically stronger will also help him in his progression. Another problem for Gomes is likely to be his position. Players like him don't benefit from being stuck out wide but at the same time don't contribute enough to play through the middle or aren't physically strong enough to do it. Januzaj struggled with this after he broke through in the team. He was never the out and out wide winger we tried to shoehorn him into but physically and in terms of numbers he simply wasn't good enough to play centrally.

The sample size is too small to conclude one way or another as they're both clearly very talented payers. But from the little I've seen Chong looks the better bet in terms of going on and breaking into the first team. It would be great if both were to make it:angel:
That is a massive disservice to Angel and I don't understand how that claim has any footing at all. He averages almost a goal or assist every game at u18s/u19s level. He literally contributes a goal almost every single game at those two levels but doesn't have enough of an impact? Gomes didn't just show up with the odd flashy moment last year, he was at the centre of everything. He played deeper in CM several times even and was the main focal point and driving force for that team. He was the u18s best player easily, having a fantastic output as well as controlling games. So I find it a bit ludicrous to now claim he doesn't contribute enough to play centrally.

There is no need for people to suddenly start downplaying Gomes because Chong is also playing very well. 3 games at u23s seems to be clouding peoples judgement on Gomes. Yes due to Gomes' size and style of play he'll have initial struggles when moving up levels, especially in such a dysfunctional side. As such, its been 3 games, give him some time to adapt and get used to the level and hopefully for the team as a whole to gets some organisation.

Hitchez

That is a massive disservice to Angel and I don't understand how that claim has any footing at all. He averages almost a goal or assist every game at u18s/u19s level. He literally contributes a goal almost every single game at those two levels but doesn't have enough of an impact? Gomes didn't just show up with the odd flashy moment last year, he was at the centre of everything. He played deeper in CM several times even and was the main focal point and driving force for that team. He was the u18s best player easily, having a fantastic output as well as controlling games. So I find it a bit ludicrous to now claim he doesn't contribute enough to play centrally.

There is no need for people to suddenly start downplaying Gomes because Chong is also playing very well. 3 games at u23s seems to be clouding peoples judgement on Gomes. Yes due to Gomes' size and style of play he'll have initial struggles when moving up levels, especially in such a dysfunctional side. As such, its been 3 games, give him some time to adapt and get used to the level and hopefully for the team as a whole to gets some organisation.
I didn't know he had such good stats. Good to know. My opinion was a based on the few games I saw where he was quite peripheral compared to Chong being more forceful in how he imposes himself in games. My sample size was too small so I'll assume you know what you're talking about. Jose has had him on the bench a few times so maybe he's the of the same view.

jb8521

While I think Chong is having a far better season than Gomes this year I'd agree with the rest, Gomes hasn't really gotten going this season because of multiple small niggling injuries but he was completely unplayable at times last year and is also almost a year younger than Chong. I think people forget just how young Gomes is because he's been around the u18s for so long but if he was born a day later he'd still be eligible for the u18s next season.

yo@Kirk

Gomes' Wiki page profile shows him being 5'3" tall and weighing 115 lbs. That seems really small for the EPL. Juninho Paulista had some success at Boro with 30 goals and 3 assists in 125 EPL matches at 5'5'' and 128 lbs. Unless Gomes proves to be just as talented as Juninho, I think he will struggle to repeat Juninho's success with Boro.

deafepl

Gomes' Wiki page profile shows him being 5'3" tall and weighing 115 lbs. That seems really small for the EPL. Juninho Paulista had some success at Boro with 30 goals and 3 assists in 125 EPL matches at 5'5'' and 128 lbs. Unless Gomes proves to be just as talented as Juninho, I think he will struggle to repeat Juninho's success with Boro.
Why Angel Gome's height so issues? He's not developed yet, he has a plenty of height to grow up. Like Scott Mctominay's height is 5'7 when he was 17 but now, he's 6'4. Angel Gomes's father is 5'9, he should be likely to grow up at least 5'9.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Gomes isn't 25. He still has more inches to grow.

Red_toad

Find it odd comparing him to Juninho who joined Boro 23 years ago.
Lovely little player was Juninho, didn't have great end product but was the heart beat of those old Middlesbrough sides. He'd still be an excellent player in todays game.

Gomes is nothing like him, will probably fill out more and end up slightly taller. Time will tell on how he can adapt his game as he starts to mature.

Why Angel Gome's height so issues? He's not developed yet, he has a plenty of height to grow up. Like Scott Mctominay's height is 5'7 when he was 17 but now, he's 6'4. Angel Gomes's father is 5'9, he should be likely to grow up at least 5'9.
I don't see him putting on another 6 inches at 17, might make it to 5'7, where he'll be in good company with other premier league players.

Utdstar01

Gets a lot of rough attention at U23 that's for sure. Gribbin looking class too.

Thiagoal

Gets a lot of rough attention at U23 that's for sure. Gribbin looking class too.
Gribbin is an interesting player: very composed, great eye for a pass and glides around the pitch! Been held back with injuries by hopefully back on the upward curve! Not sure he's strong enough physically to be considered for the first team yet! Chong likewise, if it were 1991 like when Giggs broke through would be a different story!

mat85

Maybe over doing it a tad, but maybe cause he's so much better than the level. Reminds me of Pogba in the youth team, so far above the level

deafepl

Maybe over doing it a tad, but maybe cause he's so much better than the level. Reminds me of Pogba in the youth team, so far above the level
Ethan Lair is above everyone at fullback level in the U23 and only 16 years old! I haven't seen many players like him broke into the U23 at 16 years old. I am sure Ethan Lair, Chong and O'Connor will get the debut this season or next season.

Red_toad

Gribbin is an interesting player: very composed, great eye for a pass and glides around the pitch! Been held back with injuries by hopefully back on the upward curve! Not sure he's strong enough physically to be considered for the first team yet! Chong likewise, if it were 1991 like when Giggs broke through would be a different story!
Giggs didn’t need to be strong. No one could get near him as he was extremely rapid.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho

He sounds English.
I'm actually glad he didn't say he was looking to break into the first team yet. Stay grounded and thinking you need to work hard for the u23s and the attitude will take you the right way.

What I'm trying to say is he doesn't seem to think he's already made it at u23s level and is willing to work hard to do just that before thinking further.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

He sounds English.
He's got almost no Dutch accent, that's mental considering how long he's been here. Seems to like using the world "true".