Tahith Chong

Stretford kev

Looks a good prospect too me.Quick with fast feet.

Hopefully he breaks through..good luck to the lad.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He looks like exactly what Jose wants from a right winger.

Can go inside or out, carries the ball fantastically but also has the passing vision to go with it. Not to mention he works very hard also.

I think he will make it here no problem, so exciting.

Trizy

Very, very raw but exciting prospect.

I love his hunger to always look for the ball. Even at Premier League level some players hide when they think they don't have enough space. You can't teach that confidence.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Is it me or he looks like he has got much stronger and thus being able to brush off contact easier or he has embraced physical contact and brush off it more?

MrBest

He don't look ready for first team yet. He needs another year in the youth whilst training with first team. Would defo have him involved in pre season and a few league cup games but he is some way off at the moment. I'm more excited about gomez

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He don't look ready for first team yet. He needs another year in the youth whilst training with first team. Would defo have him involved in pre season and a few league cup games but he is some way off at the moment. I'm more excited about gomez
Why? Gomes is a talented kid, but still has a very long way to go until he's ready for the first team. Physicality aside, he doesn't affect games as much as he's capable of.

Mr PG

Watching him play in the Dallas cup, the talent is there but I got the same sense. They’ve been trying to play him right wing and midfield...ostensibly because that’s what Mourinho needs but he seems too much a traditional winger and I can’t see him anywhere else but left wing..yes needs another year at a minimum to develop

criticalanalysis

There's potential but looks very very raw.

Reminds me a bit of Januzaj and even Rashford right now. A lot of the ball carrying/dribbling is simply because there's space in front of them rather than the purpose behind it i.e making space for a pass, dragging players away, creating doubles, overlaps etc.

The simple things he does well like turns on the ball, shielding it, making quick passes etc.

AltiUn

There's potential but looks very very raw.

Reminds me a bit of Januzaj and even Rashford right now. A lot of the ball carrying/dribbling is simply because there's space in front of them rather than the purpose behind it i.e making space for a pass, dragging players away, creating doubles, overlaps etc.

The simple things he does well like turns on the ball, shielding it, making quick passes etc.
Sums it up quite well that actually, think you're spot on there. Although I think that sort of thing, particularly dragging defenders away, all comes with experience.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Sometimes young players need a crack at the first team to go up to that next level though. We’ve seen it a few times before.

Litch

Been watching youth team football for a long time and this is the most exciting player I've seen for over a decade. I've seen some technical gifted players but look at the Dallas cup clip and beyond his dribbling and speed, you'll see a player that naturally tracks back, a player that's not afraid to tackle and also creative in his passing. I think this lad can clearly play in a front three but I suspect he'll end up playing in a 3 in midfield or playing at 10. He's come up from the 18's to U23's and he's already their best player. I've seen him play against the best young talent and was our most potent attacking player. He's shown real balls coming back from a serious injury and not changed his mentality, in fact he's even better....

I hope he gets a run out at the end of the season in the first team and goes on tour in the summer. I fully expect he'll be on the bench at times next season he's that good.

Litch

The interesting thing about young talent is the things that you think makes them first team players, isn't what you think they are going to be. Utd are going to attack technically gifted you talent and we've seen them over the years win youth cup trophies but then disappear. Clearly you need the ability but more so you need to be mentally strong to play against men. That's what the loan system is about and so many can't make that transition as it's not only a physical thing. This lad for me has shown that he's determined and has got heart. When the teams been losing at u23, he's the player taking it to the opposition. He's not afraid to give his team mates a bollocking too and has shown real leadership qualities.

Youtube and other clips don't show you that, that's why I like watching games live than making assessments based on 20 sec clips.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Been watching youth team football for a long time and this is the most exciting player I've seen for over a decade. I've seen some technical gifted players but look at the Dallas cup clip and beyond his dribbling and speed, you'll see a player that naturally tracks back, a player that's not afraid to tackle and also creative in his passing.
That's the thing I've noticed most about him. Whereas most attackers, especially young ones, favour staying in advanced positions to exploit space on the break, Chong's mentality is to be the one to break the opposition's move himself and then catch them out by carrying the ball forward at break neck speed.

It's a very effective way of attacking too. If you've pick pocketed the opposition deep in your own half, they are usually set up so their midfielders are looking for space and their defenders are covering space and keeping an eye on the forwards who are looking for a pass. By carrying the ball forward from deep at that pace he's constantly forcing them to commit midfielders to him and if he breaks past them, it's very difficult for a defender to deal with a player coming towards them in full flight.

Rather than receiving the ball in advanced positions and then trying to outfox the defenders, he constantly gives himself the opportunity to reach full speed with the ball and it's a nightmare to defend against.

Litch

That's the thing I've noticed most about him. Whereas most attackers, especially young ones, favour staying in advanced positions to exploit space on the break, Chong's mentality is to be the one to break the opposition's move himself and then catch them out by carrying the ball forward at break neck speed.

It's a very effective way of attacking too. If you've pick pocketed the opposition deep in your own half, they are usually set up so their midfielders are looking for space and their defenders are covering space and keeping an eye on the forwards who are looking for a pass. By carrying the ball forward from deep at that pace he's constantly forcing them to commit midfielders to him and if he breaks past them, it's very difficult for a defender to deal with a player coming towards them in full flight.

Rather than receiving the ball in advanced positions and then trying to outfox the defenders, he constantly gives himself the opportunity to reach full speed with the ball and it's a nightmare to defend against.
Spot on. It's something that's natural to his game and as probably Martial will tell you, not easy to do if you've never been asked to do it before. His game is very much a reflection of the modern forward wide player who can also come in centrally and link the play. He's got a very high football IQ and don't want to seem like I'm going overboard which easily can be done with young players but I really think this lads going to be very special.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
That's a tad underwhelming clip to be honest. The talent is quite obvious but clearly not yet ready for the first team.
Or at least our first team - might be good to loan him out next season somewhere he will get games and get that first team match pressure / experience - would he get games in the championship?

Hitchez

Or at least our first team - might be good to loan him out next season somewhere he will get games and get that first team match pressure / experience - would he get games in the championship?
I think he could get games for a lower level PL team if he keeps up his progression for the rest of the season. The fact that he can combine flair with physicality and hard work would make him a good fit for such teams. Lukaku was on loan in the PL while still being a teenager and did quite well so no reason why Chong can't. I wouldn't be averse to him going abroad either.

MrBest

Why? Gomes is a talented kid, but still has a very long way to go until he's ready for the first team. Physicality aside, he doesn't affect games as much as he's capable of.
I never said gomez was ready though ... it's the type of player he is that excites me

AltiUn

I never said gomez was ready though ... it's the type of player he is that excites me
Fair enough, they're both very different kinds of players, Gomes has a very Spanish vibe in the way he plays, Chong is a lot more British in the way he's so direct. I reckon they'll both go on to have good careers.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Agree, think he could disappear if he doesn’t learn to dictate games. From what I’ve seen this season, he’s like a dwarf Pogba - glaringly obvious talent that he doesn’t always utilise.

Chong, Greenwood, Laird and O’Connor are all more rounded talents for me, and even the likes of Levitt have impressed me more.

In Rainbows

Yeah people forget that Gomes has had niggling injuries dating back to last season. He had an injury which kept him from the Euros. He then had a small injury right before the World Cup. Once again, he's out with injury. He was fantastic for the u18s last season and was good for the u18s this season. He started to get real quiet (performance) once he made the step up to the u21s. And that was only like 3-4 matches as he was haulted by injury like I stated earlier.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Chances of a PL debut before the end of the season?

KevinJoh

I would say that chances are pretty good for him to have a debut, especially if we stay on 4 points gap to Liverpool. At least in the last game of the season.

Dr. StrangeHate

He definitely isn't ready yet. We all saw what happened with Januzaj and Wilson when they were promoted too early.
On top of that considering how our established attackers are struggling and unhappy. I would rather he continued his education in the reserves.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Is the quality of the division we'll be in next year a possible detriment to the lads development?

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Is the quality of the division we'll be in next year a possible detriment to the lads development?
Hadn't considered that to be honest, however I'd guess the difference in quality isn't too great as some teams prioritize developing the young players over results and that would cause them to be in the lower division.