Take any one player at his peak from our past and put him in this team, who do you choose?

Well...

• Total voters

appleman

Supports
Atletico Madrid
You can't go wrong with Rooney, Ronaldo or RvP as they'll brute force goals to overcome all weaknesses.

But I'd say to have a proper balance to the team, I'd take peak Keane or Carrick, both improving our midfield in their own way.
I love RvP, and he's my fave out of those three easily. But I think in Oranje, the way he played with Sneijder – or more the way Sneijder didn't play with him – would worry me a bit with the way Bruno is obsessed with killer balls in the same way he was. I guess it does help that they don't have the same animosity (probably) between them, though. But man, so many times, even if for chunks of games he was the best NL player, I so wished Sneijder would be taken out in favor of a midfielder going for more interplay. Great long shots, and great through balls to Robben, but other than that it was kind of lacking. Bruno offers much of the same but replace Robben with Rashford.

Then again RvP could do magic with Rooney killer balls, so maybe it in fact was more the animosity than the playing style. But I hate to see one of my faves get overshadowed by a highly skilled but narcissistic 10.

-----

Actually think my pick would be Rio, feel like either him or otherwise one of the leading midfielders with defensive soundness would offer the most to recover balance in play, and more room to dominate the overall game in whatever way.

Wilt

Cantona
Born leader, truly exceptional footballer. There’ll never be another.

Rooney
World class, scored many fantastic goals.

SER19

Keane from around 98-2001.

For me, it's not even close, in terms of what this team needs

Bobski

Midfield seems the obvious choice but the front 3 is terrible with Rashford in his current form and a pair of kids in Hojlund and Garnacho who are years off being what we need them to be. Outside of Bruno there is so little creativity in this team.

As a stealth pick beyond the super obvious Mark Hughes would help Ten Hag get more success with his long ball football, his hold up play would allow the midfield to work off his link play.

But yeah, Scholes, Robson, Keane, Giggs, Ronaldo, Rooney, any of those would massively improve us.

Brophs

The One and Only
Roy Keane. We have enough good players to play well, we need someone to raise the floor and stop allowing indulged fannies to fail on a weekly basis.

RedStarUnited

There are so many calls for people not named Ronaldo it’s unbelievable. Ronaldo yesterday scores the Garnacho and Rashford chances and probably forces a few other chances himself.

iHicksy

Scholes, he would control midfield in a heartbeat.
Keane did that better than Scholes ever could - and Scholes was my favorite United player.

Jus a quick example of how something that get's spoken very little of, either because people don't remember or Roy was such a force it gets overlooked. His passing was the equal of Scholes in most instances. The weight of his passing was incredible, his range of passing was complete. He was literally the perfect central midfielder.

Redstain

Ronaldo weakest area of the team is the attack. Keane is a good shout but as soon as the balls past the midfield your left with Antony to produce chance.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
With VAR he'd be sent off every single game unfortunately. I'm not sure he could ever restrain that part of his character. He got away with a few stamps and studs. Had to hold your breath after a few of his fouls and hope the referee didn't see it properly because there was quite a bit of nastiness alongside the absolute GENIUS.
TBH you could apply that to others being suggested on here as well, Keano and Robbo were no angels when it came to the naughty stuff, on the flip side the same is true for the opposition, Eric, a lot of the time, was retaliating for percieved greviances that he felt they'd gotten away with, VAR would pick those up as well

GazTheLegend

TBH you could apply that to others being suggested on here as well, Keano and Robbo were no angels when it came to the naughty stuff, on the flip side the same is true for the opposition, Eric, a lot of the time, was retaliating for percieved greviances that he felt they'd gotten away with, VAR would pick those up as well
Very good point.

berbasloth4

According to those a little old than myself maybe Robbo. He was in similar situation as we are in now a lesser team but as able to drag us through at times

Withnail

It's Keane all day.

Not only would he sort out the midfield, he'd make sure they all gave 100% every game and heads wouldn't drop if we did concede.

ScholesyTheWise

If you had peak Keano in this team you'd need 4, 5, 6 transfer windows to ship off 90% of our players,
seeing as they'll never be able to take his bollocking.

For me it's between RVN, Rooney and Ronaldo.
really hard to choose.

I'n inclined to pick Ruud.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Irwin, I reckon he wouldn't be too affected by the mess around the club.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
There are so many calls for people not named Ronaldo it’s unbelievable. Ronaldo yesterday scores the Garnacho and Rashford chances and probably forces a few other chances himself.
Yep, does seem bizarre.

We have an absolutely appalling attack at the moment. A keen 20 year old who works hard but is years off his peak. Rashy utterly off form. Bruno wild and off form. Nothing on the right at all. Garnacho with it all to learn.

Put prime Ronaldo in, heck, even prime for us level, and we've got the best player in the league. Even the 37 year old version scored 18 in a mess of a team.

Reiver

If you had peak Keano in this team you'd need 4, 5, 6 transfer windows to ship off 90% of our players,
seeing as they'll never be able to take his bollocking.

For me it's between RVN, Rooney and Ronaldo.
really hard to choose.

I'n inclined to pick Ruud.
You'd still need 4, 5, 6 transfer windows to ship the 90% ?

KeanoMagicHat

George Best before the booze truly ruined him. Our attack needs serious invention he’d be another level above the current lot.

Irrational.

Peak Wayne Rooney.
Gotta be this.

His infective work ethic combined with his prodigious talent would bring more to us than just goals. Would embarrass the pretenders we put out on the pitch week after week. He would raise the level of the entire team when they see him chasing after lost causes at LB.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Gotta be this.

His infective work ethic combined with his prodigious talent would bring more to us than just goals. Would embarrass the pretenders we put out on the pitch week after week. He would raise the level of the entire team when they see him chasing after lost causes at LB.
Exactly, peak Rooney would bring skill, quality, GOALS, ferocity, mentality into the side in a positive way.

Keane would simply fall out with them all and it’d turn even more toxic.

Peak Wayne would raise them up and also entice other top, young players to join.

Superden

A fit Bryan Robson. The team is crying out for some leadership as well someone who can run the midfield and score goals